Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: Experimental/Avant Garde, Benelux, Run the Director
Film of the Week: Daisan no kagemusha, March nominations (Feb 26th)

First-to-check @iCM

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Armoreska wrote: September 28th, 2020, 11:22 am I'm sure you're going to share highlights with us.
Issue no. 29 was the most fun so far, because of the section with soldiers on bicycles. I didn't know they actually went to war with a folded bicycle. They were dropped on the beach, had to unfold their bicycle, carry it across the beach, lift it over walls and then ride off. Looked really silly to me to go to was on a bike.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Did you already finish it or this one of your "I started watching it, so I'm checking it now and plan to finish it"?
Or are you just teasing me?
ICM-profile
mjf314

Post by mjf314 »

I was the first to check The Gifted (2018). It's the first Thai Drama that I watched.

It seems to be popular, but I guess there are no Thai drama fans on iCM. I just checked some other popular Thai dramas, and none of them seem to be on iCM.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Not a first check but
I'm 6th check for Breaking the Spell (1999)
while only 9th rating on IMDb

For a movie that's not actually on any lists other than the one I added it to a few days ago, such ratio's fairly unseen.
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I don't believe Armoreska has watched the entire thing, so here's the first check on this 18+ hour documentary series.
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/can ... +newsreel/
ICM-profile
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Was it worth it? What did you rate it and the separate episodes?
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Armoreska wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:08 pm Was it worth it? What did you rate it and the separate episodes?
I'll tell you if you remove the check. :folded:
ICM-profile
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

joachimt wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:31 pm
Armoreska wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:08 pm Was it worth it? What did you rate it and the separate episodes?
OK tell me
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Armoreska wrote: October 20th, 2020, 1:55 am
joachimt wrote: October 19th, 2020, 2:31 pm
OK tell me
It's mostly interesting for historical value, because you get a lot of on scene footage from the war. Of course it's stuffed with propaganda. Canadians are good in saying "we are so awesome" just as well apparently. Things like "the wounded soldiers can't wait to get back onto the battlefield with their companions" make you frown. A thing I liked was that it doesn't only cover war footage. You get to see a lot of daily life material as well, showing how life went on in wartime. It went on too long though. When Germany surrendered there were still lots of episodes to go, so I lost interest a bit in the final third of the episodes.
I rated it 6/10 mostly because it's interesting material, not because of its cinematic values, but you couldn't expect that from such footage. I didn't bother rating the separate episodes differently. Would have been a sliding scale between 6 and 5 and back or something like that.

Now don't dare to check it again before you actually watched the entire thing. :folded:
ICM-profile
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

OK I'll override my all-encompassing ICM policy on series checks this one time just for you
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Armoreska wrote: October 20th, 2020, 11:51 am OK I'll override my all-encompassing ICM policy on series checks this one time just for you
Or you could just stop cheating on series completely.
ICM-profile
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

joachimt wrote: October 20th, 2020, 1:30 pm
Armoreska wrote: October 20th, 2020, 11:51 am OK I'll override my all-encompassing ICM policy on series checks this one time just for you
Or you could just stop cheating on series completely.
1.Only if I can make sure that the majority are following such a rule as checking/rating a series only when all (or what part?) of the episodes have been released and watched. (no chance)
2.Only if a lot of people express their distaste at not following the rule so that it overrides my personal preference and convenience that nobody is actually negatively affected by.
3.Not that I'm going to allocate time to review my past series checks, so it's never going to happen because I have to stick to the same tactic, otherwise my history will be a mess.
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I think for tv series in general, I don't really care, since a) the vast majority of them aren't official so it doesn't affect the rankings, and b) if there are 10 seasons and you've seen 6 of them, who's to say whether or not you've seen "enough", c) Some series go on for years and you may be completely caught up but waiting for the next season to be released, so do you check it because you've seen everything available, but then uncheck it when the next season airs?, and d) I don't bother checking individual episodes.

For mini-series, however, since there are a finite number of episodes, and they're more likely to be on official lists, I think it makes sense that you only check it once you've finished. The same as one would with a film (presumably, though I'm aware some people here check a film when they start watching it instead of after they finish).
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I'm first to check the Gummibär movie: The Yummy Gummy Search for Santa (2012)!
Now will you please excuse me while I finish my spontaneous self-lobotomy.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Chuzhaya votchina
Belarus Top 20 #2
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/jit ... i+sakusen/

Technically #2 but there is nobody else in the list of users who checked the film.

The movie appears to have a couple of AKAs. IMDB says Authentic True Account: Osaka Shock Tactics which is a pretty accurate translation from Japanese. I found it was listed as "Operation Plazma in Osaka" other places, though. Like, someone just sort of fed the kanji into a machine translator and that is what came out?
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/bri ... the+bacon/

An early Jean Arthur film that is not available on home video or online, the first rare film I was able to see through my grad program at GEM.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

TraverseTown wrote: November 9th, 2020, 9:27 pm https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/bri ... the+bacon/

An early Jean Arthur film that is not available on home video or online, the first rare film I was able to see through my grad program at GEM.
Very cool.

Do you remember the runtime? So we can add it to imdb and fill it in on icm? :D
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

Fergenaprido wrote: November 9th, 2020, 9:38 pm
TraverseTown wrote: November 9th, 2020, 9:27 pm https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/bri ... the+bacon/

Very cool.

Do you remember the runtime? So we can add it to imdb and fill it in on icm? :D
Haha, afraid not. Definitely between 40mins and 60mins so I couldn't even tell you if I'd classify it as a short or not. :sweat:
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

Library of Congress says the film is "5 reels; 4,680 ft." Hmm.
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

Ebbywebby wrote: November 10th, 2020, 1:55 am Library of Congress says the film is "5 reels; 4,680 ft." Hmm.
It was indeed 5 reels if I remember correctly, but I can't remember what speed. Definitely slower than 24fps.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

8-Bit Philosophy, a youtube series
that said, im probz first check on a bunch of such series.

i managed to check/rate/dislike PragerU
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1CZV3tjqvq
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

am I the first to first-check every movie on a legit list that was self added?
https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/bela ... armoreska/
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the ... sonny+jim/\

1915 Short not available online. Some older kids in the neighborhood tell Sonny Jim that Santa isn't real, so he goes to bed angry. Has a nightmare that Santa kidnaps him by climbing in through the fireplace he has in his bedroom. He takes him in his sleigh, which is actually a flying car. They meet some disturbing looking elves and find out that there are many Santas, not just one. They meet a black Santa who is in charge of delivering presents to black kids (yikes). Then they meet Father Time, who ages Sonny Jim nearly to the point of death, claiming that only elderly don't believe in Santa. Then he wakes up and sees his full stocking. Merry xmas!
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

TraverseTown wrote: December 4th, 2020, 5:50 pm https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the ... sonny+jim/\

1915 Short not available online. Some older kids in the neighborhood tell Sonny Jim that Santa isn't real, so he goes to bed angry. Has a nightmare that Santa kidnaps him by climbing in through the fireplace he has in his bedroom. He takes him in his sleigh, which is actually a flying car. They meet some disturbing looking elves and find out that there are many Santas, not just one. They meet a black Santa who is in charge of delivering presents to black kids (yikes). Then they meet Father Time, who ages Sonny Jim nearly to the point of death, claiming that only elderly don't believe in Santa. Then he wakes up and sees his full stocking. Merry xmas!
Sounds intriguing!

Did you happen to notice the runtime? :innocent: :D
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

Fergenaprido wrote: December 4th, 2020, 7:36 pm
TraverseTown wrote: December 4th, 2020, 5:50 pm https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/the ... sonny+jim/\

Sounds intriguing!

Did you happen to notice the runtime? :innocent: :D
No, I don’t even think I watched it at the intended FPS :sweat: It was exactly 966ft of film though.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Seems Armoreska checked it right after my post. Did you already finish the movie? :whistling:
ICM-profile
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

joachimt wrote: December 14th, 2020, 3:19 pm Seems Armoreska checked it right after my post. Did you already finish the movie? :whistling:
Incidentally. I had some taters ta peel etc. You can skip it, it's about the observatory infringing on the rights of Hawaiians to have their holy mountain pimple-free and also not have extra pollution. I've probably saved you the watch. Although it's interesting whose side you would take, Science or Human Rights?
There's some anthropocentric nonsense there that I had to roll eyes at. So I rated it 5
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I'm already halfway. Will finish it now anyway.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

Misteri Janda Kembang [Mystery of the Merry Widow] (1991) - 4.6 - More fabulous trashy Indonesian retro horror courtesy of Mubi
Daddy (2019) - 7.8 - queer short on YT or vimeo (or both, I forget which) with one of the Sprouse twins as a male escort dressed in drag for an elderly gentleman
Biidaaban (The Dawn Comes) (2018) - 7.6 - indigenous Canadian short, saw on a plane
A Short Film About Tegan & Sara (2018) - 7.6 - queer short on NFB
Ici par ici [Here and There] (2006) - 8.0 - queer short on NFB I had to add to imdb and then icm
Kampung Tapir (2017) - 7.6 - Malaysian short on vimeo that I found through Letterboxd
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Fergenaprido wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:12 am Misteri Janda Kembang [Mystery of the Merry Widow] (1991) - 4.6 - More fabulous trashy Indonesian retro horror courtesy of Mubi
You could get a lot of first checks by watching random Indonesian or Malaysian flicks on MUBI. A lot of those popping up there.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

joachimt wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 7:46 am
Fergenaprido wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:12 am Misteri Janda Kembang [Mystery of the Merry Widow] (1991) - 4.6 - More fabulous trashy Indonesian retro horror courtesy of Mubi
You could get a lot of first checks by watching random Indonesian or Malaysian flicks on MUBI. A lot of those popping up there.
I have, and posted many of them in this thread over the past two years :)
Sadly, many are not available to me anymore since I left Malaysia, unless I invest in a VPN; there are so many other films to watch on Mubi and Netflix, though, that I don't feel the need to just yet.
The ones I've seen have mostly been not random - I focused on a lot of the Putra-Suzzanna collaborations (the ones with subtitles, at least), and a few others. Sadly, a lot of the Southeast Asian content there doesn't have English subtitles (same for the Bangladeshi content they had for a spell - none of those had English subtitles), so that limited what I could watch. I do have a watchlist of some of the popular films from the last decade that I'll try and see - some are still available to me on Mubi, others I can find elsewhere.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway »

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Nathan Treadway wrote: January 15th, 2021, 4:36 pm https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/roo ... +new+york/

Oscar nominated short.
:poshclap: :poshclap: :poshclap:
he or A. or Armo or any

Spoiler
MMDan

Post by MMDan »

Watched the short Black Hat https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/black+hat/. That 15 minutes was very moving. Bonus short on a Film Movement DVD.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Thanks to an advance digital screening, I managed to snag the first check on a major a-list title. Malcolm & Marie (2021, Sam Levinson). Absolutely fantastic film, too.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/malcolm+and+marie/
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

kongs_speech wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 2:40 pm Thanks to an advance digital screening, I managed to snag the first check on a major a-list title. Malcolm & Marie (2021, Sam Levinson). Absolutely fantastic film, too.

You get some bragging rights for that one. There are still about 120 films where I'm the only check, but they're mostly minor experimental shorts. Or music documentaries. I was first to check docs about Bad Company, the Doobie Brothers, Vic Chesnutt, Beulah, Ginger Baker, Huey Lewis, Stiff Records, Emitt Rhodes, XTC, Brainiac, Negativland.... But I was also first to check the made-for-TV epic "Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of 'Three's Company.'" So, that's my most awesome trophy.
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Ebbywebby wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 7:52 pm
kongs_speech wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 2:40 pm Thanks to an advance digital screening, I managed to snag the first check on a major a-list title. Malcolm & Marie (2021, Sam Levinson). Absolutely fantastic film, too.

You get some bragging rights for that one. There are still about 120 films where I'm the only check, but they're mostly minor experimental shorts. Or music documentaries. I was first to check docs about Bad Company, the Doobie Brothers, Vic Chesnutt, Beulah, Ginger Baker, Huey Lewis, Stiff Records, Emitt Rhodes, XTC, Brainiac, Negativland.... But I was also first to check the made-for-TV epic "Behind the Camera: The Unauthorized Story of 'Three's Company.'" So, that's my most awesome trophy.
Didn't know there was a Vic Chesnutt doc. I'd watch that.
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.