Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

Favourite iCM comments

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

fori wrote: April 26th, 2019, 3:46 am "Truly a historic moment in cinema. Seriously, where can we go from here?"
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ave ... /comments/
Part of me hopes he's right. The entire Hollywood machine will realize that there's nowhere to go with what they're doing and thus go back to making good movies, instead of CGI movies with live actors.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks »

Someone was going around Reddit spoiling the film and upsetting everyone and yea that's a crappy thing to do but it makes me sad that people care enough about these rubbish movies to be bothered by it, or even to be excited about its release. I liked the first one, and a couple of the individual ones are alright but c'mon.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

fori wrote: April 26th, 2019, 3:46 am "Truly a historic moment in cinema. Seriously, where can we go from here?"
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ave ... /comments/
to hell in a shit-filled handbasket? (and no, I haven't seen it, but will eventually, so that's just a poor attempt at levity based on my anti-superhero bias). Who knows, maybe it's Shawshank, Godfather, and Rosebud all rolled into one neat, pretty, little package :think:
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

I saw the last Marvel movie, and it ended exactly how I always wanted the Marvel series to end,
Spoiler
with most people dead ... actually, I felt like a few of the most annoying characters survived for some reason
To me, that was the end of the Marvel franchise. I will see no further movies nor even acknowledge their existence. The biggest movie being released this weekend is Dreamland, the Margot Robbie bounty hunter flick.
Gershwin
Donator

Post by Gershwin »

Boulderman is back, and it’s gold! :lol:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/fam ... /comments/
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Gershwin wrote: July 9th, 2020, 8:08 pm Boulderman is back, and it’s gold! :lol:
https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/fam ... /comments/
Thanks for sharing! Always love a Boulderman comment. I see he's made a lot of comments over the past month. Really wish he'd accepted the invite to the forum from years ago :(
beasterne

Post by beasterne »

This comment from greenhorg on Red Beard makes me chuckle:

"Somehow I can't imagine an Ozu drama where an old country doctor single handedly puts down a rowdy gang of toughs.

Is there a clause in Toshiro Mifune's contract stipulating that he must kick no less than 15 asses in every picture?"

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/akahige/
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

beasterne wrote: July 24th, 2020, 2:28 pm Is there a clause in Toshiro Mifune's contract stipulating that he must kick no less than 15 asses in every picture?"
Channeling Kurosawa-sensei, "You might well think that. I couldn't possibly comment."
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

I can't believe saydin7's comment on Shane has not yet been removed. "i like the movie but i dont like shane himself. Looked like gay to me."

Surely has to be deleted?
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

AdamH wrote: August 29th, 2020, 10:10 am I can't believe saydin7's comment on Shane has not yet been removed. "i like the movie but i dont like shane himself. Looked like gay to me."

Well if ICM doesn't approve of homophobic comments, then ofc
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

Armoreska wrote: August 29th, 2020, 5:10 pm
AdamH wrote: August 29th, 2020, 10:10 am I can't believe saydin7's comment on Shane has not yet been removed. "i like the movie but i dont like shane himself. Looked like gay to me."

Well if ICM doesn't approve of homophobic comments, then ofc
Are you suggesting iCM might approve or it's up for debate?
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

comment removed
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

We need a new thread for worst comments. NukeTheWhales on Shoah for example: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/shoah/comments/
Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa »

Oh, that's definitely a racist comment (from NukeTheWhales on Shoah)

...and his avatar is Andrew Jackson ...yikes.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I imagine it will be dealt with when Joachimt sees it.

Hasn't that profile come up before for antisemitism?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

This reminds me of the user Unit 731 (a fascinatingly terrifying subject/username) whose comments I came across in several Japanese films, many of them war or samurai films, and a lot of Hollywood stuff. He actually seemed to be interested in some good films and history; too bad his style blended sarcasm, 4chan-ish trollery, provocation and downright hate speech. All with a gay (?) edge and sophisticated new-right stance. There just exist people like this, I guess, and sometimes we share the internet with them. Well.
Many of his comments were massively downvoted.

This one totally qualifies for removal: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/mibu+gishi+den/
Too bad they decided to go with cheese and a plot thinner than a little Jewish boy in Auschwitz instead of an interesting and coherent story about the Shinsengumi.
.. but I guess you could argue it's humor at its blackest and just a monstrosity of tastelessness and not "forbidden". (You could also argue that the page Icheckmovies would rather be better off without a comment like this.)

He also speaks about Schindlers List and mentions "Hollyjewd", for example ..

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/brestskaya+krepost/
Damn dirty russians and their distorted view on history. They piss me off so much.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/sling+blade/
The protagonist was very retarded and I hated the fucking kid to death.

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/chinatown/
Jewlanski

And so on, and so on ..
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Actually, maybe that's the user I was thinking of. All that nifty working of "jew" into other words. That's what I remembered.
Armoreska

Post by Armoreska »

Or perhaps there's a place called Jewlywood somewhere, and we're just hating on a poor fella because of our prejudices. :P
he or A. or Armo or any

currently working towards a vegan/free world + thru such film lists: GODARD,
Spoiler
ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, Yasujiro Ozu, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
/forum.icmforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo
imaginary awards | youtube channels | complaint lounge | explain how big a fan of slavery you are here, ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1535 and here: ..viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4484
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

AdamH wrote: October 4th, 2020, 10:23 pm We need a new thread for worst comments. NukeTheWhales on Shoah for example: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/shoah/comments/
I removed the comment.

I'm not sure what to do with Unit 731.
ICM-profile
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

What about U-731's comments makes you unsure?
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

joachimt wrote: October 5th, 2020, 11:13 am
AdamH wrote: October 4th, 2020, 10:23 pm We need a new thread for worst comments. NukeTheWhales on Shoah for example: https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/shoah/comments/
I removed the comment.

I'm not sure what to do with Unit 731.
Hi tone is agressive, and his choice of words will definitely offend some people. But he also gives many interesting opinions, and he knows about history and cinema. He does have a radical position, but he is not a stupid lowbrow hater, it's more complex than that. It's almost as if, when he dislikes something, he has to use violent language and strong, hateful, words. I feel he enjoys them more for their violence, as they will support his posture and shock readers, than for the actual intolerance that goes along with such terms, but I could be wrong.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Yeah, Unit has many reviews that are 100% unproblematic and well-written among his 200+ comments, also many which are completely fine for 4 paragraphs only to make a bizarre and crude reference to the Third Reich in between...
Maybe someone with too much time on their hands will go individually through them and put the problematic ones in front of a jury of moderators. I think you would lose too many comments in already under-active comment sections for Japanese films if you just ban him and remove all of his content regardless.
OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 »

Is the guy (or girl) even still active? Last comment was 5 years ago - s/he doesn't share activity so I don't know if there have been any ratings since then, but if the user has just disappeared, I'd think that just deleting the most problematic stuff and leaving the rest would be sufficient.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Unit's comments seem to me like being right on the line between dark (bad taste) humor and racism. I find it hard to distinguish if he crosses the line or not by using words like Hollyjewd. NukeTheWhales' comment was clearly a next level towards racism.
ICM-profile
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

I wouldn't be tolerating Hollyjewd-type comments but maybe I have stronger opinions on this kind of thing? I do see the difference between his comments and the Nuke guy but think those types of comments are best avoided.
cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage »

AdamH wrote: October 5th, 2020, 6:05 pm I wouldn't be tolerating Hollyjewd-type comments but maybe I have stronger opinions on this kind of thing? I do see the difference between his comments and the Nuke guy but think those types of comments are best avoided.
No, you are quite right, some words are just unacceptable, whatever intent they may hold...
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

1) I suspect it's not worth confronting Unit about the posts - that will likely egg him on or at least tempt him to see if he can outfox moderation. (If he's even still around, but not sure if anyone other than Marijn can speak to that.)

2) Let's play the whole Satan's Attorney game: It's a given that there is little love for a certain political leader (well several, TBH). Let's say someone made a cartoon short showing any one of those people being killed, brutally, 20 different ways, each more graphic and seemingly, meant to funnier than the previous (or next, depending on the creator's motivation). Now a user comes along and praises that cartoon as the best ever, just loved watching so-and-so get sliced, diced, mashed, pureed, cooked, pickled, etc. "I can't stop watching it. BEST MOVIE EVER! I wish it was a documentary!" How would that differ from the comments we've called into question above?

"looked gay to me" is insulting and unpleasant, but does me no harm as a LGBTQ+ person. I forget exactly what the Shoah comment said, so can't really comment. I don't like Hollyjewd & the like, but again it's insulting and implies something, but it certainly doesn't glorify violence. I also brought up, some time back, a comment which sexualized an actress playing a woman dying of AIDS in the 80s and it was deleted.

But then again, the ToU (ToS) are pretty clear: "Material that is unlawful, harassing, threatening, defamatory, obscene, offensive, abusive, hateful, inflammatory, profane, racially, sexually or religiously offensive or otherwise objectionable or unlawful is not acceptable." Alas, it doesn't include a remedy like some other bullet points on that list. I would argue that the next sentence should read: "At the sole discretion of the site owner(s) and their appointed representatives, any such comments may be edited or deleted in full without notice to the commenter."

The ToU are clear and unequivocal. None of these examples fail every single test in the "Material that is..." listing, after all, "otherwise objectionable" is a pretty broad loop-hole. The only decision seems to be how to respond, not if.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I'll go through his comments later this week.
ICM-profile
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

I don't see the difference between the now deleted NukedWhale comment and Unit's comments. They are clearly inflammatory and offensive. Whether that crosses the line into needing to be moderated depends on the stance you want to take. There was a time when I would have said just leave them all, but I've changed my mind and am increasingly against allowing garbage in the name of free speech and decorum. The world is becoming an increasingly openly hostile place and you either try to create reasonable peaceful places within it or you become equally hostile back. Both options have their place, but sitting back and just tut-tutting while doing nothing feels increasingly untenable.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Really don't want to come off as an apologist of Unit here, but I'd argue it is something else to go to the film page of Shoah (!) and leave sick anti-semitic conspiracy drivel instead of dealing with the documentary at all. It's like pissing on their graves...

Maybe, in the year 2020, Unit truly is a hateful, reactionary fascist with a "sarcastic" edge. Maybe, as they say on the interwebs, he just "did it for the lulz". I sometimes do wonder about certain internet users into which direction they've progressed (or, sadly, succumbed). We'll probably never know.

I'm glad that you don't even have to deal with such issues on ICM in 99,95% of the cases. :turned:
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

When dealing with objectionable content, if and when possible, my hope is that the offending clause or phrase is deleted and the rest of the comment maintained unless that would render it nonsensical.

Also, before the next blog post, update the ToU to include remedies and share the outlook (basically as PA has outlined) with users
blocho
Donator

Post by blocho »

Torgo wrote: October 5th, 2020, 4:50 pm Maybe someone with too much time on their hands will go individually through them and put the problematic ones in front of a jury of moderators. I think you would lose too many comments in already under-active comment sections for Japanese films if you just ban him and remove all of his content regardless.
Thanks for bringing this user back to attention, Torgo. A year ago, I made several requests that some of his comments be deleted. And I did go through them and provide links. Little happened. So yes, let's be clear: terms like Hollyjewd and Jewlanski are anti-semitic. It's not much different than the triple parentheses that neo-Nazis have started using in the United States. The point is to identify and shame people and institutions for being Jewish or including Jewish people.

I think OldAle said it best last year:
If that shit or some of the other stuff that's been posted is all "satire" it's sure over my head. I think it's an embarrassment to the site and whether the guy's a real fascist/racist or just trying to be funny, his shit doesn't belong.
For the record, I don't mind if ICM comments are unmoderated. I don't go on the internet NOT expecting to see disgusting shit. I just think if they are moderated, it makes little sense to get rid of comments about breasts or comments in foreign languages but not anti-semitic or racist comments.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

I ctrl-fed all pages of comments by Unit 731 on "jew" and removed all comments where he used that word in an offending way. Let me know if I missed something. Didn't want to read every single post.
ICM-profile
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Torgo wrote: October 5th, 2020, 1:31 am https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/sling+blade/
The protagonist was very retarded and I hated the fucking kid to death.
Removed this one as well.
ICM-profile
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Not a comment at all, just something I noticed and don't know where to drop it, more like "noteworthy ICM activity":

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/mom ... +um+poeta/

Checks: 3
Dislikes: 4

:think:
PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy »

Only one of those checks is a dislike. The other 3 dislikes didn't check it. Maybe they dislike its lack of availability?
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

I'm not keen on comments that most of ICM's users won't understand, but over 130 comments just gone - man, that's rough.
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

Making 130 comments that most iCM'ers can't read is impolite. I fail to understand why anyone would post in his native language on an English site.
ICM-profile
AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH »

It's a site made by Dutch people, with a significant non-English native userbase, with films in many different languages so I find it very harsh for 100+ comments to be deleted because they aren't in English.

It's not like we're talking about blog posts in different languages, just comments that people can skip instantly if they don't understand...