Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Favourite iCM comments

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22889
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

Favourite iCM comments

#681

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » July 3rd, 2014, 10:03 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Jul 3 2014, 02:38:20 PM wrote:The second comment is inane and unclear.
I imagine that person actually believes the film is about Mena Suvari's character and how her beauty destroys a common man's life. I'd also like to imagine it was made by the same person who made the first comment.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on July 3rd, 2014, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
AdamH
Site Admin
Posts: 12107
Joined: May 05, 2011
Contact:

#682

Post by AdamH » July 20th, 2014, 12:35 am


User avatar
burneyfan
Donator
Posts: 5804
Joined: Jun 23, 2011
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Contact:

#683

Post by burneyfan » July 20th, 2014, 1:10 am

St. Gloede on Jun 29 2014, 04:26:03 PM wrote:Well Frozen is nowhere near being on my favorites list, and the first time I saw it I didn't exactly love it (seen it twice with different sections of the family) but on a rewatch I was pretty drawn in. The songs are pretty great, the characters are fun, the story is charming, and it has some good morals/twists on the classic Disney story-arcs. joachimt the trailer is rather misrepresenting the film - a lot - so you might still like it.
I almost never read this thread, so I'm nearly a MONTH late to the party (!!), but I will say that Frozen is the Disney princess film with the key message(s) I would MOST like my daughter to absorb and retain. (I've seen them all, and message-wise, it beats Mulan (arguably a close second), Beauty and the Beast, The Princess and the Frog -- all of the others that are held up as girl-empowering compared to cringeworthy cousins such as The Little Mermaid and Sleeping Beauty.) I don't believe that my reasoning would be evident at all from the trailer, but it probably would be to many people who've seen the whole film. And as princess films go, it's a perfectly fine little film overall (even if I, too, am heartily sick of hearing "Let It Go" at my house ;) ).
Last edited by burneyfan on July 20th, 2014, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

tirefeet
Posts: 1558
Joined: Nov 28, 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

#684

Post by tirefeet » July 20th, 2014, 1:52 am

AdamH on Jul 19 2014, 06:35:05 PM wrote:Conte d'été (1996)
Samlion has it against Rohmer and couple of other French directors liked by the forum. Though it is interesting that he criticizes the acting and the dialogue, I can't tell if he's serious or not but those two factors are why I like Rohmer very much. His films are always felt genuine and natural.

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7067
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#685

Post by Gershwin » August 14th, 2014, 8:50 am

Not on iCM, but from some reporter on IndieWire:

"It's been 15 years since "The Blair Witch Project" ushered in the era of the found-footage horror film, and about five minutes since the last groaningly redundant effort to milk a few stray pixels of excitement from a formula that induces headaches at its mere mention."

:happy:
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

Kowry
Posts: 3033
Joined: Jul 03, 2011
Location: Finland
Contact:

#686

Post by Kowry » August 26th, 2014, 5:28 pm

Not ICM, but Reddit discusses silent films:
Like cave man paintings. As good as one could do for the time period, and valuable in it's own right, but we put a man on the moon. Imagine movies before that, now we can send a man into space to fight robot aliens and it is somewhat plausible.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29075
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#687

Post by joachimt » August 26th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Yeah, silent movies, boring as hell. But hey...... it's not their fault CGI wasn't invented yet.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

SkilledLunatic
Posts: 2187
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
Contact:

#688

Post by SkilledLunatic » August 26th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Kowry on Aug 26 2014, 11:28:59 AM wrote:Not ICM, but Reddit discusses silent films:
Like cave man paintings. As good as one could do for the time period, and valuable in it's own right, but we put a man on the moon. Imagine movies before that, now we can send a man into space to fight robot aliens and it is somewhat plausible.
Yes, films making impossible things look possible before talkies? HA! How ridiculous indeed!
Méliès? Murnau? Lang? Pffff
No superheroes or comic tie ins? BORING!
Oh the sweet taste of sarcasm :lol:
Last edited by SkilledLunatic on August 26th, 2014, 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11696
Joined: May 29, 2011
Contact:

#689

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » August 26th, 2014, 9:16 pm

Kowry on Aug 26 2014, 11:28:59 AM wrote:Not ICM, but Reddit discusses silent films:
Like cave man paintings. As good as one could do for the time period, and valuable in it's own right, but we put a man on the moon. Imagine movies before that, now we can send a man into space to fight robot aliens and it is somewhat plausible.
Any site that has broad traffic will get opinions like these -- i.e., assumptions that technological advancement = artistic advancement in every respect. The imdb forums have a constant current of this sort of thinking, and it's quite tiring after a while, even if one ignores it.

By that thinking, btw, we should never bother with books today, as Faust, Great Expectations, and Don Quixote are just how they tried to tell stories way back before they improved things by figuring out how to make it visual. Why would you go backward now and remove the pictures by looking at that stuff?
Last edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on August 26th, 2014, 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18780
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#690

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » August 26th, 2014, 11:42 pm

I remember reading some favourite films list and one comment on there was saying that special effects has changed films, and because of that at least 75% of any list should have post-70s films.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

hiimstacey
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul 25, 2014
Location: South Wales
Contact:

#691

Post by hiimstacey » August 26th, 2014, 11:58 pm

ArthurYanthar on Aug 26 2014, 05:42:45 PM wrote:I remember reading some favourite films list and one comment on there was saying that special effects has changed films, and because of that at least 75% of any list should have post-70s films.
They're quite right. Did you even see 'Transformers'?! Iconic.

User avatar
PGonzalez
Posts: 253
Joined: Sep 08, 2013
Contact:

#692

Post by PGonzalez » September 11th, 2014, 5:24 pm

SkilledLunatic (on Virus au Paradis) on wrote:-1000/10.
Atrocious even for a TV movie. I had to watch this for a class and it was an absolute torture.
The dialogue is awkward, every line served only to advance the plot, characters were completely hollow shells, barely feeling human.
Speaking about the plot, it's needlessly melodramatic, with it's fair share of stupid lines, one totally gratuitous sex scene and filled with clichés from every fucking disaster film ever made. DAMN THOSE POLITICS WHO NEVER LISTEN TO CIENTISTS (seriously, who cares about the economy if EVERYONE IS DEAD).
However, even if by some miracle you had any interest in the plot, you will be constantly taken out of the film, because the filmmakers made the horrible decision of hiring a crack addict to edit this abomination.
It feels like they blew their budget on the locations (Iceland is still beautiful, they couldn't fuck that up) and couldn't afford to do re-shoots, so they used whatever they managed to film.
What did I forget?
Characters come and go without being introduced, just to say one or 2 lines; the continuity is non-existent; nobody is likeable; there is something ABOUT ELVES; nurses and doctors where masks all the time but not gloves; the soundtrack is overused and subtle like an semi-truck crashing against a building.
I WOULD PREFER BEING INFECTED WITH THE FLU THEN WATCHING THIS PIECE OF DOGSHIT.
So...I guess you liked it?

User avatar
brokenface
Donator
Posts: 13019
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Contact:

#693

Post by brokenface » September 11th, 2014, 5:25 pm

Image

Kowry
Posts: 3033
Joined: Jul 03, 2011
Location: Finland
Contact:

#694

Post by Kowry » September 11th, 2014, 5:32 pm

:lol:

Though I'm uncertain: was the rating for the film, the fingering, or both?
Last edited by Kowry on September 11th, 2014, 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PGonzalez
Posts: 253
Joined: Sep 08, 2013
Contact:

#695

Post by PGonzalez » September 11th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Kowry on wrote: :lol:

Though I'm uncertain: was the rating for the film, the fingering, or both?
1/5 for the film + 1/5 for the fingering, she knows her fractions

User avatar
HVM
Posts: 3695
Joined: Jul 09, 2012
Location: Republic of Czechia
Contact:

#696

Post by HVM » September 11th, 2014, 7:33 pm

I'm more bothered by her 2/5=ok rating. Should we pity the woman and her standards or has she reached the cinematic and sensual nirvana to pass on such judgements? :mw_confused:
1918 - 100 - 2018

SkilledLunatic
Posts: 2187
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
Contact:

#697

Post by SkilledLunatic » September 11th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Gonzalito199 on Sep 11 2014, 11:24:52 AM wrote:
SkilledLunatic (on Virus au Paradis) on wrote:-1000/10.
Atrocious even for a TV movie. I had to watch this for a class and it was an absolute torture.
The dialogue is awkward, every line served only to advance the plot, characters were completely hollow shells, barely feeling human.
Speaking about the plot, it's needlessly melodramatic, with it's fair share of stupid lines, one totally gratuitous sex scene and filled with clichés from every fucking disaster film ever made. DAMN THOSE POLITICS WHO NEVER LISTEN TO CIENTISTS (seriously, who cares about the economy if EVERYONE IS DEAD).
However, even if by some miracle you had any interest in the plot, you will be constantly taken out of the film, because the filmmakers made the horrible decision of hiring a crack addict to edit this abomination.
It feels like they blew their budget on the locations (Iceland is still beautiful, they couldn't fuck that up) and couldn't afford to do re-shoots, so they used whatever they managed to film.
What did I forget?
Characters come and go without being introduced, just to say one or 2 lines; the continuity is non-existent; nobody is likeable; there is something ABOUT ELVES; nurses and doctors where masks all the time but not gloves; the soundtrack is overused and subtle like an semi-truck crashing against a building.
I WOULD PREFER BEING INFECTED WITH THE FLU THEN WATCHING THIS PIECE OF DOGSHIT.
So...I guess you liked it?
In a scale of "getting kicked in the nutsack" and "being burned alive" this receives the rating of "being tortured by Inner Party Member O'Brien in room 101".
Last edited by SkilledLunatic on September 12th, 2014, 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22889
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#698

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » September 12th, 2014, 4:03 am

HVM on Sep 11 2014, 01:33:54 PM wrote:I'm more bothered by her 2/5=ok rating. Should we pity the woman and her standards or has she reached the cinematic and sensual nirvana to pass on such judgements? :mw_confused:
2/5=ok is pretty normal for people who rate on a 5 pt scale.

Kasparius
Posts: 24609
Joined: Sep 14, 2011
Contact:

#699

Post by Kasparius » September 12th, 2014, 4:53 am

Apparently the person fingering her (or him) wasn't doing that good of a job.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29326
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#700

Post by mightysparks » September 12th, 2014, 5:34 am

To be fair, Kung Fu Panda is hardly going to get anyone in the mood.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

SkilledLunatic
Posts: 2187
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
Contact:

#701

Post by SkilledLunatic » September 12th, 2014, 6:43 am

On RYM, on a thread about "What would Jimi Hendrix think of hip-hop?"
theironlung on wrote: What would Nietzsche think of hip hop?

to which someone responded
Turkey_Beard on wrote:He'd say that it all went downhill after disco rap.


:D

tirefeet
Posts: 1558
Joined: Nov 28, 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

#702

Post by tirefeet » September 12th, 2014, 10:32 am

I'm more bothered by her 2/5=ok rating. Should we pity the woman and her standards or has she reached the cinematic and sensual nirvana to pass on such judgements? :mw_confused:
Wow. How's the weather up there?

I base my rankings on a 0-4 system currently and 2 stands for 'solid'.

Some of my 2's: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Before Sunrise (1995), Blade Runner (1982), Devils on the Doorstep (2000)

User avatar
HVM
Posts: 3695
Joined: Jul 09, 2012
Location: Republic of Czechia
Contact:

#703

Post by HVM » September 12th, 2014, 11:27 am

tirefeet on Sep 12 2014, 04:32:19 AM wrote:
I'm more bothered by her 2/5=ok rating. Should we pity the woman and her standards or has she reached the cinematic and sensual nirvana to pass on such judgements? :mw_confused:
Wow. How's the weather up there?

I base my rankings on a 0-4 system currently and 2 stands for 'solid'.

Some of my 2's: 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968), Before Sunrise (1995), Blade Runner (1982), Devils on the Doorstep (2000)
Pontifical, mostly. ^_^

Interesting. Say, when you see an IMDb rating, do you recalculate it for yourself or what?
1918 - 100 - 2018

tirefeet
Posts: 1558
Joined: Nov 28, 2012
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact:

#704

Post by tirefeet » September 12th, 2014, 11:57 am

I rank my 2's 7 on imdb.

ormazd
Posts: 1757
Joined: May 07, 2011
Location: Virginia, USA
Contact:

#705

Post by ormazd » September 12th, 2014, 12:02 pm

tirefeet on Sep 12 2014, 05:57:41 AM wrote:I rank my 2's 7 on imdb.
Rounding WAY up

Jay Mars
Posts: 2005
Joined: Jan 22, 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

#706

Post by Jay Mars » September 17th, 2014, 7:50 pm

Not from ICM, but in a rant about Denis Villeneuve's Enemy over at Netflix, one user explained his philosophy of movies (and art in general).
Movies are like jokes in the sense that if they need to be explained, then they are bad.
Now I see where I've been going wrong all these years. I should just dismiss everything I don't understand as bad and move on. How much simpler life would be!

SkilledLunatic
Posts: 2187
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
Contact:

#707

Post by SkilledLunatic » September 17th, 2014, 8:27 pm

Jay Mars on Sep 17 2014, 01:50:29 PM wrote:Not from ICM, but in a rant about Denis Villeneuve's Enemy over at Netflix, one user explained his philosophy of movies (and art in general).
Movies are like jokes in the sense that if they need to be explained, then they are bad.
Now I see where I've been going wrong all these years. I should just dismiss everything I don't understand as bad and move on. How much simpler life would be!
Movies=jokes what accurate comparison :lol:

User avatar
bal3x
Donator
Posts: 13022
Joined: May 26, 2011
Contact:

#708

Post by bal3x » October 3rd, 2014, 5:47 pm

Lucy (2014)
I felt my own IQ dropping almost as rapidly as Lucy's was rising. By the ending of the movie I was using fully 0% of my "cerebral capacity" and needed to be carried out of the theater on a soiled blanket by several ushers.
I only saw the trailer and already that seemed way too long.. looks like yet another "masterpiece" from Besson..

Kowry
Posts: 3033
Joined: Jul 03, 2011
Location: Finland
Contact:

#709

Post by Kowry » October 16th, 2014, 10:29 am

Twitter account that posts amusing Amazon film reviews: https://twitter.com/AmznMovieRevws



Image

A review of
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Casablanca
Last edited by Kowry on October 16th, 2014, 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
3eyes
Donator
Posts: 6664
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

#710

Post by 3eyes » October 16th, 2014, 6:50 pm

ICM: Neocowboy on Flesh and the Devil (1926):

It could have all been avoided if Leo and Ulrich just got married in the in first place.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

SkilledLunatic
Posts: 2187
Joined: Mar 11, 2014
Location: Fortaleza, Brazil
Contact:

#711

Post by SkilledLunatic » October 17th, 2014, 9:04 pm

3eyes on Oct 16 2014, 12:50:50 PM wrote:ICM: Neocowboy on Flesh and the Devil (1926):

It could have all been avoided if Leo and Ulrich just got married in the in first place.
Neocowboy always makes great comments :lol:

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18780
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#712

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 17th, 2014, 9:09 pm

A classic comment posted in the forum here around 3 years ago:
How anyone can be moved in todays movie standards by a silent Film I will never know.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29326
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#713

Post by mightysparks » October 18th, 2014, 3:58 pm

https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/loki+of+asgard/

Not a comment, but err, a lot of pics.

Also he apparently has stalkers because all his comments have a bunch of downvotes, even though they're harmless.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

Kowry
Posts: 3033
Joined: Jul 03, 2011
Location: Finland
Contact:

#714

Post by Kowry » October 18th, 2014, 4:10 pm

That's the guy previously known as The Dark Awesome One (and a bunch of other names).

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11696
Joined: May 29, 2011
Contact:

#715

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » October 18th, 2014, 4:35 pm

I'm guessing that guy is in his 70s.
Last edited by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on October 18th, 2014, 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
jvv
Donator
Posts: 8166
Joined: May 28, 2011
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#716

Post by jvv » October 18th, 2014, 5:13 pm

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Oct 18 2014, 10:35:04 AM wrote:I'm guessing that guy is in his 70s.
Why would you guess that? To me he looks more like someone in his early thirties.

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11696
Joined: May 29, 2011
Contact:

#717

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » October 18th, 2014, 5:24 pm

jvv on Oct 18 2014, 11:13:50 AM wrote:
Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi on Oct 18 2014, 10:35:04 AM wrote:I'm guessing that guy is in his 70s.
Why would you guess that? To me he looks more like someone in his early thirties.
Just kidding. By the person's taste, my guess would be it's a boy or girl who's 16.

Noirville
Posts: 648
Joined: Mar 29, 2014
Contact:

#718

Post by Noirville » October 18th, 2014, 6:18 pm

Late teens to early twenties perhaps? He posted over 700 comments but he has nothing to say.

"I found the movie to be a satisfactory experience to me."
(on Citizen Kane)

Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi
Posts: 11696
Joined: May 29, 2011
Contact:

#719

Post by Local Hero -- aka MestnyiGeroi » October 18th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Noirville on Oct 18 2014, 12:18:14 PM wrote:Late teens to early twenties perhaps? He posted over 700 comments but he has nothing to say.

"I found the movie to be a satisfactory experience to me."
(on Citizen Kane)
Ah, well, I was just reacting to the profile page, with its emphasis on young, recent, similar-looking actors as constituting all of his/her favorite actors, and the favorite directors included fit that that image.

User avatar
XxXApathy420XxX
Donator
Posts: 18780
Joined: Oct 24, 2011
Contact:

#720

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » October 18th, 2014, 7:18 pm

mightysparks on Oct 18 2014, 09:58:30 AM wrote:https://www.icheckmovies.com/profiles/loki+of+asgard/

Not a comment, but err, a lot of pics.

Also he apparently has stalkers because all his comments have a bunch of downvotes, even though they're harmless.
I love that user, but his profile was better when his username was about how awesome DiCaprio is, and his profile pic was also of him. He got a lot of shit for this comment on The Lives of Others: I almost cried at the ending, this is a magnificent movie.
Of course I did not watched it in german, viva España.
4.25/5
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

Post Reply