Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: Akage, June nominations (May 28th)

iCM Bugs

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Ebbywebby wrote: May 4th, 2021, 5:37 am https://beta.icheckmovies.com/movies/16 ... f+mariposa

Mel Gibson has been a star for a lot longer than I realized.
one of those early great Westerns of Australian cinema ... gee, maybe Gibson was actually around for - could Apocalypto be autobiographical? :o
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Since today, I'm getting an info on how fast an ICM page loaded and how many Megabytes it was. :huh:
Is this a new feature of some ICM (Enhanced) script? Does it come from Chrome? I have no idea and no use for it.
72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm »

Torgo wrote: May 4th, 2021, 7:01 pm Since today, I'm getting an info on how fast an ICM page loaded and how many Megabytes it was. :huh:
Is this a new feature of some ICM (Enhanced) script? Does it come from Chrome? I have no idea and no use for it.
I use neither and I got it as well.
Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Ok, so it's no Fata Morgana. I'm having this theory that it might have to do with some troubleshooting process of Marijn's - see below - and may or not may be intended for the whole public .. I'm observing this.
Torgo wrote: May 2nd, 2021, 11:23 pm Marijn: "I’ve been looking into it and I think I know what causes this. I’ve made some changes to fix the “unscheduled downtime”.

Thanks for reporting this and let me know if this issue persists."

:satstunned:
That would be amazing if the bug - well, it's more than just a bug - disappeared like that.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Certainly didn't see it last night, but might just not have noticed it. It's not THAT obvious, especially since I'm looking at other parts of the screen. I too use Chrome (always kept up-to-date) but don't have iCM Enhanced running at present, so am pretty certain it isn't related to that.

I agree, it's probably some debug mode/option that is helpful for Marijn, and probably not intended for public pages - though this is just a guess. Nothing leaps off the page on the official forum but I haven't read every thread to see if this was made public intentionally.

Since we're all seeing it - well, at least those who've mentioned it - I'd suggest you post a quick note (and screengrab if you can - if not, let me know and I'll add that) in https://discuss.icheckmovies.com/c/bugs . It's probably best to create a new topic even if this is relatively minor - not sure it gets noticed if we append to best thread (which is the best explanation I have for why the 0500 CEST issue went untended for so long).
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

I'm getting it too. And iCheckMovies Enhanced (v. 1.8) doesn't run my browser any longer (using ViolentMonkey and FF 88 on Linux).

I suspect Marijn forgot to switch off some debug setting.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.
Chilton

Post by Chilton »

Knaldskalle wrote: May 4th, 2021, 8:11 pm I'm getting it too. And iCheckMovies Enhanced (v. 1.8) doesn't run my browser any longer (using ViolentMonkey and FF 88 on Linux).

I had that too, but because the website switched to test.icheckmovies.com :mw_confused:
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Speaking of bugs, I can't get the "IMDB Details page links" script to work right now either. I don't think I made any changes to anything in Firefox since yesterday, so I'm really puzzled as to what's going on...
ImageImageImageImage

monk-time

Post by monk-time »

Knaldskalle wrote: May 4th, 2021, 8:11 pm I'm getting it too. And iCheckMovies Enhanced (v. 1.8) doesn't run my browser any longer (using ViolentMonkey and FF 88 on Linux).
Huh, that's upsetting. I just checked, everything works fine for me in FF 88 + VM on Windows (I don't think the OS can influence anything here though)... Do you have any other userscript that is still working? And is there anything in the browser console that is related to userscripts? Here's how it looks for me.

The errors there are new, looks like Marijn has been working on the site lately.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Yeah, the console gives me this:

Code: Select all

[Violentmonkey][iCheckMovies Enhanced] SyntaxError: expected expression, got '<'
    c 		moz-extension://7d28425f-f5f2-458e-be6e-428ff596c237/sandbox/injected-web.js:1
    ScriptData 	moz-extension://7d28425f-f5f2-458e-be6e-428ff596c237/sandbox/injected-web.js:1
    onHandle	moz-extension://7d28425f-f5f2-458e-be6e-428ff596c237/sandbox/injected-web.js:1
    c 		moz-extension://7d28425f-f5f2-458e-be6e-428ff596c237/sandbox/injected-web.js:1
(I'd post a screenshot, but my browser is so locked down that Imgur's javascript doesn't work for me. Some sites just break and Imgur is one of them and I can't be bothered to figure out just which of my many extensions cause the issue).
ImageImageImageImage

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Seems to be gone already, at least for me
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Torgo wrote: May 5th, 2021, 12:44 am

Yep. Happy to see it gone, tbh.

[EDIT: But the iCM Enhanced script still doesn't work for me. Bummer.]
ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

just checked, also gone for me - maybe short-term experiment? :)
joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt »

xianjiro wrote: May 5th, 2021, 2:19 am

I reported it and he fixed it.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

joachimt wrote: May 5th, 2021, 5:01 am
xianjiro wrote: May 5th, 2021, 2:19 am

I reported it and he fixed it.
:cheers:
monk-time

Post by monk-time »

Knaldskalle wrote: May 4th, 2021, 9:20 pm Yeah, the console gives me this:

[Violentmonkey][iCheckMovies Enhanced] SyntaxError: expected expression, got '<'
    ScriptData 	moz-extension://7d28425f-f5f2-458e-be6e-428ff596c237/sandbox/injected-web.js:1
    onHandle	moz-extension://7d28425f-f5f2-458e-be6e-428ff596c237/sandbox/injected-web.js:1
(I'd post a screenshot, but my browser is so locked down that Imgur's javascript doesn't work for me. Some sites just break and Imgur is one of them and I can't be bothered to figure out just which of my many extensions cause the issue).
Huh. This actually looks like a botched update from greasyfork. The only guess I have is that this error looks like what happens when instead of executing a JS script the browser tries to run HTML code that it has received instead of JS (e.g. a 404 page). Can you open the script's source in Violentmonkey and make sure it looks normal? Or force reinstall from here.

This all is very strange as I haven't touched the script in weeks.
Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

I made some experiement while it was working and got some cool stats.

Usual Official List in the 200-300 film lenght took 500 ms to Load
1000 films lenght took in the 1.2-1.5s range.

Loading one of my "stock" list @ 5000 Lenght took 6.5 sec

Not that bad imho.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

monk-time wrote: May 5th, 2021, 5:32 am
Knaldskalle wrote: May 4th, 2021, 9:20 pm Yeah, the console gives me this:

Huh. This actually looks like a botched update from greasyfork. The only guess I have is that this error looks like what happens when instead of executing a JS script the browser tries to run HTML code that it has received instead of JS (e.g. a 404 page). Can you open the script's source in Violentmonkey and make sure it looks normal? Or force reinstall from here.

This all is very strange as I haven't touched the script in weeks.
I forced an update to v. 2.0.3 and now it runs! Thanks, I really appreciate you looking into it. Given that I also ran into issues on IMDb with the links-script I use there, I assumed it was a problem on my end.
ImageImageImageImage

monk-time

Post by monk-time »

I'm glad I could help. :thumbsup:
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Now, where do I go with my IMDb-links script problem? I know we have a topic with all the script we typically use, but I can't seem to find it.
ImageImageImageImage

monk-time

Post by monk-time »

Knaldskalle wrote: May 5th, 2021, 2:36 pm Now, where do I go with my IMDb-links script problem? I know we have a topic with all the script we typically use, but I can't seem to find it.
The topic is stickied. themagician doesn't browse the forum but you might want to try my fork.
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

monk-time wrote: May 5th, 2021, 3:23 pm
Knaldskalle wrote: May 5th, 2021, 2:36 pm Now, where do I go with my IMDb-links script problem? I know we have a topic with all the script we typically use, but I can't seem to find it.
The topic is stickied. themagician doesn't browse the forum but you might want to try my fork.
Odd. I looked there and didn't see it. My eyesight must be getting worse than I thought. Didn't find it with a "topic search" for "script" either. :shrug:

Anyways, updated to v.2.3.2 (from 2.3) and that seems to have done the trick. Thanks again!
ImageImageImageImage

Torgo

Post by Torgo »

Fergenaprido wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 2:22 am
Torgo wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:56 am
Lammetje wrote: March 3rd, 2021, 1:42 am My awards page is a complete mess. :(
Reminds me that I finally have to clean up my room ..
Spoiler
Yeah this is somehow getting even worse over the years. Hm.
At least the Pixar thumbnail has been fixed.
You're right, it has gotten worse in the last six months or so since I last checked my shelf. I've flagged it to Marijn.
:unsure:

It's still a mess. I hardly ever look at my award shelf, so I don't care that much, but it's .. I don't want to make that sound rude, but it's, yep, a bit embarrassing for a site like ICM. These images on straight shelf lines can't be that hard to properly align, right?! I mean, I'm going to use the site either way, it could appear uninviting to new members though ..
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Well, I do think it was something of a flawed design to start with, but then again, maybe it dates back to a much simpler time when there were way fewer lists.

I see the issue as being the different sizes - I'd say it looks like bronze are half height; silver, three-quarters; and gold and platinum 100%. The awards are displayed as list items, so there isn't really any way to control them - well, I'm not really certain any longer what control can be exercised over list items, but given how the tags originated, it makes sense that they will automatically expand to allow varying amounts of text. I would have used tables with defined cell sizes based on gold/platinum. I don't see where the classes are defined on that page, so it must be elsewhere in the CSS structure. But, even when looking at one of the four awards pages (gold, silver, etc), the design breaks down rather quickly. So that suggests it has something to do with the image files. Again, I wasn't able to find it, but I wonder if some are aligning to bottom and others to center. I also can't see how the background (shelving) is rendered, but I suspect it just a single image repeated down the page - it never seems to deviate in spacing. But once a list item changes height, it affects everything that comes after it on the page, and here we just have list items strung together - again, I'm thinking CSS has been adjusted because I thought in regular old HTML </li> included some sort of return (meaning the next line would start with a bullet or number and always on a new line).

Will also guess this is going to be one the many things that will be targeted in v3 since most of the GUI is being redesigned. While yes, it's taking a bit longer than anyone hoped to complete, let alone transition to v3, it's probably of fairly low priority to keeping the site functional day to day.

I thought the page was kind of kewl when I was a newb. I never look at it now (or anyone else's) since it doesn't really give that much information. About the only thing it tells us that we can't find elsewhere is when the award was given, but since it's sorted in descending order, one has to scroll through and be able to recognize the image for a given award. Not terribly useful, and besides, what does anyone care when I got X on Y anyhow? Ya can't search it, ya can't sort it, what use is it?
Last edited by xianjiro on May 7th, 2021, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby »

I never paid that page much attention...I didn't realize until tonight that the awards are chronologically ordered from most recent to oldest. Aha.

There's really not much need for the "shelves," and I'd prefer they were just ordered from Platinum down to Bronze.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I'd have chosen alpha sort. That way I could go to your awards page to see if you've got anything on - idk, what list do you really detest? ;)
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

You can also hover over the award to get the exact date it was given. I may be one of the few users who is actually interested in stuff like that. :D It's easier to see it on the Awards page than it is scrolling through my Activity.
🧚‍♂️🦫
MMDan

Post by MMDan »

It's also something that interests me. I like scrolling to the bottom and seeing the dates for old awards.
Fergenaprido wrote: Yesterday, 8:38 pm You can also hover over the award to get the exact date it was given. I may be one of the few users who is actually interested in stuff like that. :D It's easier to see it on the Awards page than it is scrolling through my Activity.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Ultimately, I'd prefer a history for awards. While the get-lose-get thing isn't that important on IMDb type lists, seeing the progression of bronze-silver-gold-platinum over time would be cool. I'm not going to go to the trouble of trying to find it in the activity page though, so just having an alphabetical listing with changes would work for me. To make it more graphical, the current award could be displayed on the left and changes on the right. Or this could be added somewhere on the actual list page, but again, probably not on activity since no one wants to page through 10 years of activity a week at a time (or do the math to figure out roughly what page is needed). But if we were going to show award history data, I'd lean towards having it all in one place rather than needing to go to each list to find that info. It could be easily displayed in both places though.
Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido »

I agree, those features would be nice. For now, I just track my award progress in my spreadsheet, based on the award update PMs the system sends out, plus a little sleuthing in the activity when and award changes but I don't get a notification. I didn't have very many awards when I first started keeping track, so it was relatively easy for me to set up the groundwork, and then just keep up to date as time went on.
🧚‍♂️🦫
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

I think I got just over 80 awards after the system processed my IMDb file after I joined. Never even occurred to me to track that though I can certainly see doing it. To be honest, the idea of awards wasn't even on my radar when I joined and the memory is I was super surprised when I got that first email. Excited even. I didn't even think about all the other lists when I joined, I was mostly looking for an easier way to track Criterion, IMDb Top 250, Ebert, and NFR. All the other stuff came later, but honestly, it would have been some appeal of awards that got me really looking at all the lists. Tracking awards is just something one would really want to start doing fairly early in the process and it never occurred to me until you mentioned it Fergie.

Does anyone know if things like award updates stay in the activity feed indefinitely? I don't think I've gone back through that anywhere more than maybe six months, and that was a before I figured out a better/easier way to find discrepancies between my spreadsheet, IMDb, and iCM.

I do find satisfaction in awards now. It's a nice milestone, okay, I've seen 50% of the Israeli list. Cool! But that's the only real goal I still have related to iCM - to see 50% of every list but that's about seeing the movies and the "award" is a shorthand help. Hard to say if I'd have set the same goal is we didn't have awards. Would also be disingenuous to say that the concept of "an award" didn't help me decide on that goal.

So I sit at 183/212 and I know Lola and Kinema Junpo are the next two (though Lola might get a bit harder depending on what the research reveals). I honestly don't think about leveling-up much though clearly there are a few lists (Criterion, 21st Century, the big canon-style lists other than TSZDT, etc) where just my movie watching interests drive higher awards. For most other lists (country, non US awards, etc), I don't think about leveling up on them until I find myself getting close, and I close in by just watching stuff that crosses my path. It's not something I put effort into.

It's an interesting journey and lots of it's because of how iCM is structured. No doubt.
monk-time

Post by monk-time »

xianjiro wrote: Yesterday, 4:06 am The awards are displayed as list items, so there isn't really any way to control them - well, I'm not really certain any longer what control can be exercised over list items, but given how the tags originated, it makes sense that they will automatically expand to allow varying amounts of text. I would have used tables with defined cell sizes based on gold/platinum. I don't see were the classes are defined on that page, so it must be elsewhere in the CSS structure. But, even when looking at one of the four awards pages (gold, silver, etc), the design breaks down rather quickly. So that suggests it has something to do with the image files.
My guess after poking around is that the bug is connected to some award images having ~100px of empty space above them.

Back in 2011 a page like that required hacks on top of hacks in CSS. No wonder it broke at some point. Nowadays there are modern tools in CSS specifically for such tasks (a wrapped list of variable length with different item sizes, neatly arranged) like flexbox that can get you the same result without ugly hacks and in a fraction of the effort.
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Doesn't surprise me that coding has gotten easier. I found CSS really daunting when it was first introduced way back when. HTML was as far as I ever got ... or cared to go.
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

monk-time wrote: Today, 5:49 am Nowadays there are modern tools in CSS specifically for such tasks (a wrapped list of variable length with different item sizes, neatly arranged) like flexbox that can get you the same result without ugly hacks and in a fraction of the effort.
We're talking about a site that isn't even responsive yet :ph43r:
But yeah, stuff like this has become a lot simpler (though it also comes with pitfalls of course, otherwise it wouldn't be true web dev!).
Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

Fergenaprido wrote: Yesterday, 8:38 pm You can also hover over the award to get the exact date it was given. I may be one of the few users who is actually interested in stuff like that. :D It's easier to see it on the Awards page than it is scrolling through my Activity.
Me too. It's the reason I'm hesitant to work on the iCM Most Checked list, since any change to it would mean that there are no awards left from the time I started on the site (December 25, 2009). All the other awards have changed at some point, so they don't have the OG date.
ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle »

xianjiro wrote: Today, 7:51 am Doesn't surprise me that coding has gotten easier. I found CSS really daunting when it was first introduced way back when. HTML was as far as I ever got ... or cared to go.
Yeah, CSS struck me as needlessly complicated (and wordy!) when I first encountered it ('98?). I of course didn't have a large website, so it was just easier to change headlines and styles wherever they needed changing, rather than the "central control" that CSS offered. I see the benefit, but it still seems needlessly wordy.
ImageImageImageImage

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 »

For my part, i select all the icons and paste to notepad ... and then parse the result to my excel sheet