Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Le septième juré, December nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

Imaginary (non-official) Awards

xianjiro
Donator

Imaginary (non-official) Awards

Post by xianjiro » November 3rd, 2019, 4:32 pm

Are you proud you finally got to 25% on that mega-list? (Some of us call that "getting tin" - as in a tin medal or award). Or maybe you're thrilled you completed an unofficial list. Whatever it is, this a place to let others know about the other accomplishments that don't make the big time over at iCM.

:cheers:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 3rd, 2019, 4:38 pm

So, just made tin on the new CineChile list (the only one of the new adoptions that wasn't silver).

Also recently made tin on IMDb Lowest Rated Movies. Talk about painful! But always good to be reminded just how bad movies can get.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 3rd, 2019, 4:47 pm

Well, this past month I finally got tin on TSZDT, which was a win for me.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » November 3rd, 2019, 5:24 pm

I'm pushing to hit 1000 on Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Film Noir. Currently at 980 out of 3249, well into Tin territory; aluminum (33.3%) would be 1082 which is probably out of reach this month.

Also working on tin in the RedLeterMedia's Best of the Worst, but am only at 22 out of 172 so I have a ways to go. If I hadn't lost interest in film in early July I probably would have worked on it a little for the bad movies challenge, oh well, next time...

Several of the country lists, and the Unesco list, I"m well below the tin level, and those might be goals someday.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 3rd, 2019, 5:35 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 5:24 pm
Also working on tin in the RedLeterMedia's Best of the Worst, but am only at 22 out of 172 so I have a ways to go. If I hadn't lost interest in film in early July I probably would have worked on it a little for the bad movies challenge, oh well, next time...
I'm at 57. One more check and I'm at 1/3 (I hope I can find Christy soon so that I can add it to icm/imdb)

153 are unoffcial though. We have a challenge for that ;p

----

I'm also on 1/3 om a Wilhelm Scream list. It's on Letterbox'd but I'll add it too icm as well.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » November 3rd, 2019, 5:52 pm

I'm pretty sure I invented the tin award - am pleased to see people using it!
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 3rd, 2019, 7:24 pm

3eyes wrote:
November 3rd, 2019, 5:52 pm
I added it to my spreadsheet. It's the first 'hurdle' so to speak though I'm basically working towards bronze on all the official lists. Still, a list that doesn't have tin gets extra points and so it moves closer to the top, but I haven't really worked my spreadsheet in quite that way for some time and probably won't until I get the harddrive cleaned off.

sol can find me here

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » November 4th, 2019, 5:30 am

Got platinum recently on BBC 100 Foreign film list.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » November 6th, 2019, 7:53 am

3eyes wrote:
Yeah, I started focusing on that for some lists where bronze just seems too daunting.

I might set an eventual goal to get tin on every official list.

There are many unofficial lists I'm working on, but I don't track "award" progress on those except in a few rare cases.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 6th, 2019, 4:59 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
November 6th, 2019, 7:53 am
3eyes wrote:
Yeah, I started focusing on that for some lists where bronze just seems too daunting.

I might set an eventual goal to get tin on every official list.

There are many unofficial lists I'm working on, but I don't track "award" progress on those except in a few rare cases.
Well, now you sort of have an excuse - when you open up one of those un-lists and see, hey checked 26 out of 100 - now you've got some place to share that information.

Another thought, if people talk about those un-lists that they are working on, interested in, etc, it will give the lists a bit of visibility in the veritable blizzard of un-lists on iCM :thumbsup:

sol can find me here

jocularities

Post by jocularities » November 8th, 2019, 2:25 pm

How about a paper award for 1% of those lists like first year anniversary traditional present? Let's get paper on every list.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 8th, 2019, 6:52 pm

Hey, go for it! No one's going to stop you - though I think 10% is a more credible paper number

:run:

sol can find me here

jocularities

Post by jocularities » November 8th, 2019, 11:57 pm

But the 10% or 10 year traditional gift is tin, which you have for 25% already.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 9th, 2019, 5:59 am

so do you get Platinum after 100 years of marriage?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 13th, 2019, 3:59 am

attained bronze on iCMFF3: Complete Feature Lineup earlier today

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 13th, 2019, 6:11 am

xianjiro wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 3:59 am
Ratings or it didn't happen. :P

Only half-joking. Like I would really like your ratings (and the sooner the better), but I'll respect the alternative. :cheers:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 13th, 2019, 9:43 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 6:11 am
xianjiro wrote:

Only half-joking. Like I would really like your ratings (and the sooner the better), but I'll respect the alternative. :cheers:
haven't decided if I'll dump them when I complete a slate or just the complete list when we're close to the end ;) Other than getting in a bit of discussion on the LGBT slate before anyone else, I've got this phobia about seeing anything before watching and since my goal is to just watch everything anyway ...

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 13th, 2019, 11:03 pm

xianjiro wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 9:43 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
xianjiro wrote:

haven't decided if I'll dump them when I complete a slate or just the complete list when we're close to the end ;) Other than getting in a bit of discussion on the LGBT slate before anyone else, I've got this phobia about seeing anything before watching and since my goal is to just watch everything anyway ...
Personally, I'd prefer it if you dump them when you complete a slate - it spreads my data collection effort out a bit, rather than having a huge workload at the end.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 14th, 2019, 12:12 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 13th, 2019, 11:03 pm
xianjiro wrote:
maxwelldeux wrote:

Personally, I'd prefer it if you dump them when you complete a slate - it spreads my data collection effort out a bit, rather than having a huge workload at the end.
okay, will do - can you import csv data into Gaggle Sheets?

sol can find me here

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » November 14th, 2019, 5:49 am

xianjiro wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 12:12 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
xianjiro wrote:

Yes? I think? Regardless, I can copy/paste. But if you want to make my life SUPER easy, you could order them in the same order they appear in the forum header... :whistling:

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 14th, 2019, 8:12 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 5:49 am
xianjiro wrote:
November 14th, 2019, 12:12 am
maxwelldeux wrote:

Yes? I think? Regardless, I can copy/paste. But if you want to make my life SUPER easy, you could order them in the same order they appear in the forum header... :whistling:
got it

sol can find me here

Minkin

Post by Minkin » November 14th, 2019, 9:37 am

I love the idea of a reward for hitting 25% - it would go a long ways to helping interest in the site + help to justify work on some super long lists.

That said, since we're on the topic - two things

1) What would be a better award to distinguish between gold & bronze; silver & platinum?

2) What would be a better reward than a "trophy on the trophy page" ???

-------------------------
Explanations
-------------------------
1) Because in the current form + beta - Silver & Platinum look almost identical; same with gold + bronze. I think a better option is changing platinum to diamond - and making it blue, that way it looks way different than just a shade different than silver.

2) What would be something cool users could unlock from ICM once they hit platinum on a list? Currently you just get a trophy on the trophy page, which isn't the most exciting. Since we're dreaming about imaginary awards; what would be a better reward from ICM when you hit platinum/diamond on a list? You could unlock a new feature on the site; get a badge or something you can use on various social medias (or at least on your profile / profile picture); something tailored to each list you complete. "I watched all of the AFI 100 Years list, now I unlocked ___"

I'm thinking of Sporcle which has badges when you hit certain milestones, but perhaps I would merely be happy with a better trophy award system - something more interactive. So that could be part of the solution too - how to clean up the trophy page?
Last edited by Minkin on November 14th, 2019, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

albajos

Post by albajos » November 14th, 2019, 9:38 am

Unobtanium for 101%. Vibranium for 100%

for the trophy leaderbord you only get 1 per list, maybe it should be one per tier, and then give out badges based on overall leaderboard score or amount of tier awards.

Max is now 198 lists, or 792 awards = 792 points. The badge would be Vibranium for 792 to 776 (2%). Gold for 775 to 594, Silver for 593 to 396, Bronze for 395 to 198 points.

The tier badges unlock at 50% - at least 99 of each at this time.

So 5 badges
Overall points score
Four for each tier

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 14th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Yeah, I can't tell the difference between silver and platinum based on color, but I believe platinum's are quite a bit larger than silvers - but diamond was the first thing that came to mind as well. It could even be superimposed on the gold trophy if it was too difficult to make blue diamond like icons for that award.

And yes, having something to break up a list - even getting to bronze on something like the Top 250 (or even more work, the Indian Top 250) - would certainly be appreciated. (Thus why tin was born?) While there also needs to be something between silver and platinum, that final 10% felt a bit odd to me, especially on really short lists. But honestly, it's not a real big deal - the biggest weakness in my mind is not having an award at 25% - I think quartiles make good, logical sense.

The other thought I had once, again, especially for those really long lists, would be a single, double, triple system. So, for example, one gets single bronze for 50%, double bronze for 60%, and triple bronze for 70%. After all, there's a big gap between 500 Zombies and 750 Zombies (not to mention 0 and 500). But would this spur interest from more casual site users? IDK.

I also do like the suggestion of badges or something based on the number of awards. Would this stoke interest in folks working lists they find less appealing or interesting? Again, IDK. But in some sense this is built into the "Rank Title" which doesn't get talked about much. Always thought these rankings made more sense. From the FAQs
Walk of Fame - Seen at least 70% of the top list's movies
Oscar winner - Seen at least 40% of the top list's movies
Oscar nominee -Seen at least 25% of the top list's movies
Movie star - Seen at least 15% of the top list's movies
Lead role - Seen at least 10% of the top list's movies
Actor - Seen at least 5% of the top list's movies
Extra - Seen less than 5% of the top list's movies
Here the titles come earlier and easier though the final words "of the top list's movie" is misleading - it really should say "of all official movies". Walk of Fame is pretty damn difficult to get to. It does seem like a missed opportunity to not have some visual display of this, say after usernames on the various topusers listings. If I see user X ahead of me on the Criterion list, but that user is only an "Actor", it' pretty obvious that user has only worked the Criterion list with any effort.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » November 30th, 2019, 11:14 pm

sol can find me here

Coryn

Post by Coryn » December 2nd, 2019, 10:52 am

With my official check today I entered the top 5000 on ICM :)
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » December 2nd, 2019, 5:19 pm

Coryn wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 10:52 am
I see from your avatar that Martha is suitably impressed! Congratulations! :party:

sol can find me here

Coryn

Post by Coryn » December 2nd, 2019, 7:21 pm

xianjiro wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 5:19 pm
Coryn wrote:
December 2nd, 2019, 10:52 am
I see from your avatar that Martha is suitably impressed! Congratulations! :party:
Thanks but I think she just got shot by an umbrella
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?