Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Benelux (Results), 1944 awards (Sep 23rd), 1964 (Sep 28th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Silent Era, 21st Century, Japan
Film of the Week: Reindeerspotting - pako Joulumaasta, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Lost 'n' Found

Post Reply
User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22935
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

Re: Lost 'n' Found

#241

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » November 26th, 2018, 5:19 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
November 26th, 2018, 5:11 pm
I don't understand why films would be tied in the first place. Do their algorithms only count to one place beyond the decimal point or something, i.e. all 7.7s are the same? That's nuts. With thousands - sometimes 10s or 100s of thousands - of votes for each film it seems to me there should be virtually no actual ties. There's just no logic to this that I can see, but that's par for the course for that site.
The extra decimal places are kept 'somewhere' but since they aren't displayed they took them out of the database used for search many years ago (when they introduced the new advanced search I think). Sites like this use multiple databases for different functions, with a master database used to feed them restricted tables so that they can be more efficient. Maybe they put them back in now and that's what's going wonky, or maybe it's something else.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#242

Post by sol » November 27th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Ahem. Getting back to the topic at hand, I am now one of only 31 iCMers to have a Silver Sundance plaque. :D

Image

Came from The Miseducation of Cameron Post, which I liked slightly more than Boy Erased overall. The Sundance winner is more character than message based and equally well acted, though I think Boy Erased did capture the emotional turmoil of gay conversion therapy in more depth.

Neither film though has left me totally satisfied as an exploration of the topic, so I might try to pursue some documentaries on the subject next month. Any recommends are welcome.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 3501
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#243

Post by OldAle1 » November 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm

Good job sol. Sundance is interesting; I've been a film buff since it was brand-new, and I'm American, and I lived in a major city from 1983-2000, but a great many of the winners never got any kind of real commercial release and I had few if any opportunities to see them new. It's improved a bit in recent years; Cameron Post actually played here - for a week - and I could have seen it I suppose. Of course there's video but a lot of times they just fly totally under the radar, and I find no reason to actively seek them out if I missed them in the cinema. I actually have only seen 15 of the 38, and while I have a few unseen or know I have them available I just haven't ever made an effort in that direction. Maybe I'll at least try to see the ones that look interesting over the next few months and get to that Bronze.

Hunziker
Donator
Posts: 1180
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
Location: Mexico City, Mexico
Contact:

#244

Post by Hunziker » November 27th, 2018, 6:17 pm

Image

What the hell? :huh:
This is the voice of world control.

iCM -Twitter
ImageImage

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6622
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#245

Post by maxwelldeux » November 27th, 2018, 7:05 pm

Hunziker wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 6:17 pm
What the hell? :huh:
If you remember the 1920 screwup with IMDB, it's the same thing - they somehow reversed the order.

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5928
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#246

Post by albajos » November 27th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Human error probably. Gotta compile that code

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#247

Post by sol » November 28th, 2018, 3:33 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Good job sol. Sundance is interesting; I've been a film buff since it was brand-new, and I'm American, and I lived in a major city from 1983-2000, but a great many of the winners never got any kind of real commercial release and I had few if any opportunities to see them new. It's improved a bit in recent years; Cameron Post actually played here - for a week - and I could have seen it I suppose. Of course there's video but a lot of times they just fly totally under the radar, and I find no reason to actively seek them out if I missed them in the cinema. I actually have only seen 15 of the 38, and while I have a few unseen or know I have them available I just haven't ever made an effort in that direction. Maybe I'll at least try to see the ones that look interesting over the next few months and get to that Bronze.
Thanks. It's taken a bit of work and searching, however, I have been slowly plodding away at the Sundance list ever since registering on iCM. It has been inside my top 5 highest ranked lists ever since Day One, even with less than a Bronze myself at first. I actually have a couple of unwatched Sundance films in my DVD collection, so there's a good chance I'll be able to maintain my Silver award for a while, though some stuff really is that rare that aiming higher is probably futile.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
xianjiro
Donator
Posts: 6539
Joined: Jun 17, 2015
Location: Kakistani Left Coast
Contact:

#248

Post by xianjiro » November 29th, 2018, 10:13 am

Well, it appears my Shorts are no longer backwards and I have platinum again (plus the usual padding between myself and rkzk though Apu's not going to be an easy catch).

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 5928
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#249

Post by albajos » December 31st, 2018, 8:37 pm

Lost a silver in 1950s today, but gained 18 other awards in december so I end 2018 with

103 awards

16 platinum
24 gold
21 silver
42 bronze
and 3 lists where I'm one check from the next award. So maybe I'll do those first thing in 2019.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29429
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#250

Post by mightysparks » January 1st, 2019, 4:14 am

I forgot how annoying it was to keep up to date with the IMDb lists.

1950s (platinum, was gold)
1960s (gold, was platinum)
Independent (platinum, was gold)
Music (silver, was gold)
Musical (silver, was gold)
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
weirdboy
Donator
Posts: 3462
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
Contact:

#251

Post by weirdboy » January 1st, 2019, 4:29 am

sol wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 3:33 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Good job sol. Sundance is interesting; I've been a film buff since it was brand-new, and I'm American, and I lived in a major city from 1983-2000, but a great many of the winners never got any kind of real commercial release and I had few if any opportunities to see them new. It's improved a bit in recent years; Cameron Post actually played here - for a week - and I could have seen it I suppose. Of course there's video but a lot of times they just fly totally under the radar, and I find no reason to actively seek them out if I missed them in the cinema. I actually have only seen 15 of the 38, and while I have a few unseen or know I have them available I just haven't ever made an effort in that direction. Maybe I'll at least try to see the ones that look interesting over the next few months and get to that Bronze.
Thanks. It's taken a bit of work and searching, however, I have been slowly plodding away at the Sundance list ever since registering on iCM. It has been inside my top 5 highest ranked lists ever since Day One, even with less than a Bronze myself at first. I actually have a couple of unwatched Sundance films in my DVD collection, so there's a good chance I'll be able to maintain my Silver award for a while, though some stuff really is that rare that aiming higher is probably futile.
I have a horrible number of films seen on the Sundance list, but I must admit that the few I've seen from the list I have liked. I suppose I should dedicate some modicum of effort into watching more of those, but I still have not done so.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#252

Post by sol » January 1st, 2019, 5:15 am

weirdboy wrote:
January 1st, 2019, 4:29 am
sol wrote:
November 28th, 2018, 3:33 pm
OldAle1 wrote:
November 27th, 2018, 3:12 pm
Good job sol. Sundance is interesting; I've been a film buff since it was brand-new, and I'm American, and I lived in a major city from 1983-2000, but a great many of the winners never got any kind of real commercial release and I had few if any opportunities to see them new. It's improved a bit in recent years; Cameron Post actually played here - for a week - and I could have seen it I suppose. Of course there's video but a lot of times they just fly totally under the radar, and I find no reason to actively seek them out if I missed them in the cinema. I actually have only seen 15 of the 38, and while I have a few unseen or know I have them available I just haven't ever made an effort in that direction. Maybe I'll at least try to see the ones that look interesting over the next few months and get to that Bronze.
Thanks. It's taken a bit of work and searching, however, I have been slowly plodding away at the Sundance list ever since registering on iCM. It has been inside my top 5 highest ranked lists ever since Day One, even with less than a Bronze myself at first. I actually have a couple of unwatched Sundance films in my DVD collection, so there's a good chance I'll be able to maintain my Silver award for a while, though some stuff really is that rare that aiming higher is probably futile.
I have a horrible number of films seen on the Sundance list, but I must admit that the few I've seen from the list I have liked. I suppose I should dedicate some modicum of effort into watching more of those, but I still have not done so.
Well, they are not all worth checking out. In fact, I would say that around half the winners are pretty average/mediocre films. There are some real gems in there though. Of the less widely seen (pre-2000s) winners, I would highly recommend The Young Poisoner's Handbook and Chameleon Street.
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 29360
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#253

Post by joachimt » March 3rd, 2019, 2:25 pm

I just got a bronze award on Top 100 Animated Features of All Time. Aren't you guys proud of me? :rolleyes:

EDIT: It's still my lowest ranked list though.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

MMDan
Posts: 187
Joined: Jan 10, 2016
Contact:

#254

Post by MMDan » March 3rd, 2019, 3:06 pm

Lost my silver Cesar award thanks to the new award.
I did gain a silver The 21st Century's Most Acclaimed Films! I'm not sure it's worth going for the gold on that one.

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 11237
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

#255

Post by Armoreska » March 3rd, 2019, 7:35 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 2:25 pm
I just got a bronze award on Top 100 Animated Features of All Time. Aren't you guys proud of me? :rolleyes:
Rehabilitation in progress
Image
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6622
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#256

Post by maxwelldeux » March 3rd, 2019, 9:50 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 2:25 pm
I just got a bronze award on Top 100 Animated Features of All Time. Aren't you guys proud of me? :rolleyes:

EDIT: It's still my lowest ranked list though.
:cheers:

One of only 8 lists I'm ahead of you on. :ph43r:

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#257

Post by sol » March 14th, 2019, 11:33 am

joachimt wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 2:25 pm
I just got a bronze award on Top 100 Animated Features of All Time. Aren't you guys proud of me? :rolleyes:

EDIT: It's still my lowest ranked list though.
I'm still 13 away from a Bronze on that list (much harder to work on than the BFI one) and it's my second-lowest ranked list after iCM Most Checked. <_<
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#258

Post by sol » March 14th, 2019, 11:35 am

I found out the answer to the age-old question of "is Paris burning?", which led to a new Silver award. B)

Image
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
Armoreska
Posts: 11237
Joined: Nov 01, 2012
Location: Ukraine
Contact:

#259

Post by Armoreska » August 13th, 2019, 8:42 pm

Updated:
IMDb's 1910s Top 50 (platinum, was gold)

OMG this is a first. That one random overstuffed movie that I refused to watch finally left the list.

Now the worst remaining culprit is For Better, for Worse
Image
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 6622
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#260

Post by maxwelldeux » August 13th, 2019, 9:17 pm

So far this month I've picked up bronzes for IMDB Music and Documentary, despite not watching anything for those. So... yay?

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 22935
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#261

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » August 18th, 2019, 12:53 am

Armoreska wrote:
August 13th, 2019, 8:42 pm
Updated:
IMDb's 1910s Top 50 (platinum, was gold)

OMG this is a first. That one random overstuffed movie that I refused to watch finally left the list.

Now the worst remaining culprit is For Better, for Worse
It's gone, still needs a day for ICM to update but lol, droping from over 1.5 points in imdb rating without a single vote.
For Better, for Worse (1919) 5.7

Shifting Sands is fine even if it was vote stuffed.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#262

Post by sol » September 10th, 2019, 11:50 am

After more than 2.5 years on iCM, I have finally caught up with enough mainstream claptrap to have achieved 50% on the All-Time WW Box Office List...

Image

...or at least until another blockbuster makes $200,000,000. :whistling:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
weirdboy
Donator
Posts: 3462
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
Contact:

#263

Post by weirdboy » September 10th, 2019, 9:54 pm

sol wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:50 am
After more than 2.5 years on iCM, I have finally caught up with enough mainstream claptrap to have achieved 50% on the All-Time WW Box Office List...

Image

...or at least until another blockbuster makes $200,000,000. :whistling:
:cheers:

Now you just have to keep up with all the movies that keep getting added to it every year.

<_<

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 2584
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#264

Post by Ebbywebby » September 12th, 2019, 8:55 am

sol wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:50 am
After more than 2.5 years on iCM, I have finally caught up with enough mainstream claptrap to have achieved 50% on the All-Time WW Box Office List...
I'm still 38 films away from a Bronze. I'm lower ranked on that official list than on any other, by a substantial margin.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#265

Post by sol » September 12th, 2019, 10:10 am

Ebbywebby wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 8:55 am
sol wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:50 am
After more than 2.5 years on iCM, I have finally caught up with enough mainstream claptrap to have achieved 50% on the All-Time WW Box Office List...
I'm still 38 films away from a Bronze. I'm lower ranked on that official list than on any other, by a substantial margin.
It used to be my second lowest rank, before I began actively working on it a couple of years ago. I think I was 50-60 away from a Bronze at that point.

It's now only my 7th lowest rank:

Image
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 6383
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#266

Post by sol » September 15th, 2019, 8:37 am

Another new Bronze that I had been chasing for a couple of years:

Image
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Post Reply