Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
ICMForum's Favourite Movies 2019 Edition (Nominations: Midnight Saturday Mar 23rd)
Polls: Academy Awards (Mar 22nd), Children (Apr 7th), 1932 (Apr 14th), DtC Voting (Apr 25th)
Challenges: French, War, Female Directors
World Cup: Semi finals schedule, SF-B (Mar 21st->Mar 24th)
Film of the Week: Le vieux fusil

Official lists updates

Post Reply
User avatar
albajos
Posts: 4762
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

Re: Official lists updates

#1881

Post by albajos » March 3rd, 2019, 11:22 pm

Another norwegian off. check actually. The norwegian funding is big enough to it being listed in the official Norway Yearbook of 2018. It will be released on DVD here later this year.

edit: How long was Adam in Paradise? 2 minutes :P
Last edited by albajos on March 3rd, 2019, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 3240
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Contact:

#1882

Post by Nathan Treadway » March 3rd, 2019, 11:24 pm

ChrisReynolds wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 11:16 pm
New FESPACO award winner:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/rafiki/
No. That just won for Best Actress. The Golden Stallion went to "The Mercy of the Jungle"

User avatar
ChrisReynolds
Donator
Posts: 2268
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Location: London, UK
Contact:

#1883

Post by ChrisReynolds » March 3rd, 2019, 11:33 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 11:24 pm
ChrisReynolds wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 11:16 pm
New FESPACO award winner:

https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/rafiki/
No. That just won for Best Actress. The Golden Stallion went to "The Mercy of the Jungle"
Sorry about that. I saw the BBC article titled Fespaco: Banned lesbian love story Rafiki wins award and didn't check properly.

User avatar
OldAle1
Donator
Posts: 3142
Joined: Feb 09, 2017
Location: Dairyland, USA
Contact:

#1884

Post by OldAle1 » March 4th, 2019, 3:45 pm

frbrown wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 5:25 pm
Bill has resumed updating the noir list

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/noir1000updates.htm
Damn, haven't seen any of those! First time that's happened in the last year or more of updates I think.

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9245
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#1885

Post by Knaldskalle » March 4th, 2019, 3:48 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 1:16 am
Edit2: The film is in French, why is its official title in English?
It's only natural that a Belgian movie would be entered in the competition as a Rwandan movie, be in French and have an English title. It's not like they speak Belgian anywhere.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 3240
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Contact:

#1886

Post by Nathan Treadway » March 5th, 2019, 7:28 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:48 pm
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 1:16 am
Edit2: The film is in French, why is its official title in English?
It's only natural that a Belgian movie would be entered in the competition as a Rwandan movie, be in French and have an English title. It's not like they speak Belgian anywhere.
A multi-cultural/national effort.

User avatar
sol
Donator
Posts: 5184
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#1887

Post by sol » March 5th, 2019, 1:54 pm

OldAle1 wrote:
March 4th, 2019, 3:45 pm
frbrown wrote:
March 3rd, 2019, 5:25 pm
Bill has resumed updating the noir list

http://www.theyshootpictures.com/noir1000updates.htm
Damn, haven't seen any of those! First time that's happened in the last year or more of updates I think.
Mirage is an amazing film and used to be in the More Noirs Official List. Not quite sure why it look so long to make the new list. :shrug:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

User avatar
erde
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 02, 2019
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

#1888

Post by erde » March 9th, 2019, 2:08 pm

It seems that the Reddit top 250 list has been updated today, but it only has 245 movies in it. Does anyone know why? Is the update still in progress, or is there some another reason?
Image

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 2939
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#1889

Post by Fergenaprido » March 9th, 2019, 2:44 pm

erde wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 2:08 pm
It seems that the Reddit top 250 list has been updated today, but it only has 245 movies in it. Does anyone know why? Is the update still in progress, or is there some another reason?
I don't know anything about that, but I found the source list on Reddit, if that helps (source link on icm list needs to be updated as well): https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... _for_2019/

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 21673
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1890

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 9th, 2019, 3:46 pm

I assume Marijn got a private PM? It's impossible to use that thread to fix anything since 1) Reddit's sorting algorithm sucks and films aren't sorted right, 2) I guess films got votes after the results were compiled because the order doesn't match the update, especially in the bottom half of the list.

User avatar
ChrisReynolds
Donator
Posts: 2268
Joined: Dec 29, 2011
Location: London, UK
Contact:

#1891

Post by ChrisReynolds » March 9th, 2019, 7:33 pm

With the Reddit update, 2 movies gain official status:

Tropic Thunder (2008)
10 Cloverfield Lane (2016)

1 movie loses official status:

Wind River (2017)

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 27820
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1892

Post by joachimt » March 9th, 2019, 7:46 pm

ChrisReynolds wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 7:33 pm
Tropic Thunder (2008)
Looks like a must-see. <_<
It's on Netflix here, so I'll give it a shot.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Gershwin
Donator
Posts: 7010
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Leiden, NL
Contact:

#1893

Post by Gershwin » March 9th, 2019, 8:20 pm

joachimt wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 7:46 pm
ChrisReynolds wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 7:33 pm
Tropic Thunder (2008)
Looks like a must-see. <_<
It's on Netflix here, so I'll give it a shot.
I actually found it quite entertaining.
RokP 250

Profiles: Untappd - Last.fm - iCM

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 3240
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Contact:

#1894

Post by Nathan Treadway » March 9th, 2019, 8:24 pm

I'm surprised it's not in the Box office list.. Must've just barely missed.

Just looked it up. $188MM.

User avatar
Ebbywebby
Posts: 1922
Joined: Sep 10, 2012
Location: Orange County, CA
Contact:

#1895

Post by Ebbywebby » March 9th, 2019, 9:57 pm

I didn't particularly enjoy Tropic Thunder, but I was always surprised it wasn't "official" just because of the general mainstream love it draws.

The most checked, genre-tagged "Short" I haven't seen is some DVD extra from this film.

User avatar
erde
Posts: 19
Joined: Jan 02, 2019
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact:

#1896

Post by erde » March 10th, 2019, 10:50 am

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 3:46 pm
I assume Marijn got a private PM?
I sent a message via the contact form yesterday, so I suppose that he's got the message.
Image

User avatar
rnilsson19
Posts: 501
Joined: Dec 01, 2016
Location: Sweden
Contact:

#1897

Post by rnilsson19 » March 15th, 2019, 7:22 pm

New criterion titles:

Swing Time (1936)
L'humanite (1999)
La vie de Jésus (1997)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
War and Peace (1966)

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 21673
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1898

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » March 15th, 2019, 8:07 pm

rnilsson19 wrote:
March 15th, 2019, 7:22 pm
New criterion titles:

Swing Time (1936)
L'humanite (1999)
La vie de Jésus (1997)
Hedwig and the Angry Inch (2001)
War and Peace (1966)
Done

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 2939
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#1899

Post by Fergenaprido » Today, 10:34 am

With the recent imdb updates, https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ningen+no+joken/ is now #1 in War and #18 in Drama. It just passed the 5,000-vote threshold on imdb to qualify for those lists (and incidentally just hit the 1500-check threshold about three months ago).

The other two are at 3,923 and 3,832 imdb votes, respectively, so it may take a while for them to join the first one (they're also at 1295 and 1235 checks at the moment).

Up until now, all three films were on exactly 7 official lists (DTC, icm Most Favorite, Kinema Junpo, Asian Field Guide, BFI 360, Criterion, and 1950s (1 & 2) and FOK! Top 250 (3).

Nathan Treadway
Donator
Posts: 3240
Joined: Jun 26, 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Contact:

#1900

Post by Nathan Treadway » Today, 2:47 pm

Fergenaprido wrote:
Today, 10:34 am
With the recent imdb updates, https://www.icheckmovies.com/movies/ningen+no+joken/ is now #1 in War and #18 in Drama. It just passed the 5,000-vote threshold on imdb to qualify for those lists (and incidentally just hit the 1500-check threshold about three months ago).

The other two are at 3,923 and 3,832 imdb votes, respectively, so it may take a while for them to join the first one (they're also at 1295 and 1235 checks at the moment).

Up until now, all three films were on exactly 7 official lists (DTC, icm Most Favorite, Kinema Junpo, Asian Field Guide, BFI 360, Criterion, and 1950s (1 & 2) and FOK! Top 250 (3).
Every list those films are in just makes those lists better!

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 4762
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#1901

Post by albajos » Today, 2:58 pm

Well, didn't we just say in the 20 Centuray list that we follow the source. The imdb source has a 25 000 vote limit.

Drama
https://www.imdb.com/search/title?genre ... http_gnr_7
War
https://www.imdb.com/search/title?genre ... ttp_gnr_20

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 27820
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1902

Post by joachimt » Today, 3:16 pm

In these cases we are the source. The advanced search links are made by PdA. He has been working on this btw.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 4762
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#1903

Post by albajos » Today, 3:26 pm

But for genres there are an official source.

Shouldn't be too difficult to keep the same rules across the board.

You really need a better reason that "we are the source"

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 2939
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#1904

Post by Fergenaprido » Today, 3:28 pm

albajos wrote:
Today, 2:58 pm
Well, didn't we just say in the 20 Centuray list that we follow the source. The imdb source has a 25 000 vote limit.

Drama
https://www.imdb.com/search/title?genre ... http_gnr_7
War
https://www.imdb.com/search/title?genre ... ttp_gnr_20
They don't for me.

When I click on the source at the bottom of the icm list, I see 5000 vote thresholds.
War
Drama

Where did you get your links from?

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 21673
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1905

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » Today, 3:30 pm

albajos wrote:
Today, 2:58 pm
Well, didn't we just say in the 20 Centuray list that we follow the source. The imdb source has a 25 000 vote limit.

Drama
https://www.imdb.com/search/title?genre ... http_gnr_7
War
https://www.imdb.com/search/title?genre ... ttp_gnr_20
Try clicking their noir link ;)
Those advanced searches are sloppily done subsearches of the imdb top250, they aren't the source.

As joachim said, the lists are imdb's highest rated films as relevant to the ICM forum community, that means a lower imdb vote threshold than the top250 and an ICM check threshold.

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 4762
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#1906

Post by albajos » Today, 3:35 pm

They are the source. It is what's linked on imdb's own site.

https://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=ft_250 on the right side

If you don't like them don't have them on icm. As by changing them means they're no longer imdb-lists. So you can't really call them that anymore, by using definitions that fit only your own worldview.

Who are you to judge what's relevant to icm's user-database.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 27820
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1907

Post by joachimt » Today, 3:36 pm

albajos wrote:
Today, 3:26 pm
But for genres there are an official source.

Shouldn't be too difficult to keep the same rules across the board.

You really need a better reason that "we are the source"
There are no official sources for genres. You need to check the facts before posting.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
albajos
Posts: 4762
Joined: May 24, 2016
Location: Norway
Contact:

#1908

Post by albajos » Today, 3:37 pm

So those 21 links on that site are just my imagination?

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 21673
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1909

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » Today, 3:55 pm

albajos wrote:
Today, 3:35 pm
They are the source. It is what's linked on imdb's own site.

https://www.imdb.com/chart/top?ref_=ft_250 on the right side

If you don't like them don't have them on icm. As by changing them means they're no longer imdb-lists. So you can't really call them that anymore, by using definitions that fit only your own worldview.

Who are you to judge what's relevant to icm's user-database.
I'm not judging what's relevant to the ICM user base, the user base is judging by checking films. Imdb's searches include films that they explicitly exclude from the top 250 for being vote manipulated, they haven't given us a way to do the same through search. This is the reason for the ICM check threshold. The imdb vote threshold is lowered (back to what imdb had originally chosen for these lists) because it isn't necessary with the ICM check filter. Imdb explicitly chose to raise the threshold from 5000 to 25000 because of these movies.

The lists are in the imdb tab because they're based on imdb ratings, but the list description doesn't mention imdb other than the Top250 which does follow imdb's editorial choices.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 27820
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1910

Post by joachimt » Today, 4:12 pm

albajos wrote:
Today, 3:37 pm
So those 21 links on that site are just my imagination?
To be honest, this is the first time I notice the advanced search links on the right side of the top 250. How long have they been there? Several years ago IMDb had separate lists presented at its own page for genres and decades. They ditched them and then iCM decided to go with advanced searches themselves. I don't think the links you mentioned were there at the time.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
PeacefulAnarchy
Moderator
Posts: 21673
Joined: May 08, 2011
Contact:

#1911

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » Today, 4:16 pm

joachimt wrote:
Today, 4:12 pm
albajos wrote:
Today, 3:37 pm
So those 21 links on that site are just my imagination?
To be honest, this is the first time I notice the advanced search links on the right side of the top 250. How long have they been there? Several years ago IMDb had separate lists presented at its own page for genres and decades. They ditched them and then iCM decided to go with advanced searches themselves. I don't think the links you mentioned were there at the time.
Those links weren't there right away, but they were there relatively soon (weeks or months but not years, time is a blur to me now) after imdb's change. They were there by the time we were discussing what to do with the lists.

User avatar
joachimt
Donator
Posts: 27820
Joined: Feb 16, 2012
Location: Netherlands
Contact:

#1912

Post by joachimt » Today, 4:45 pm

memory is a blur to me now

This shows how often I take a look at this.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

User avatar
Fergenaprido
Donator
Posts: 2939
Joined: Jun 03, 2014
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

#1913

Post by Fergenaprido » Today, 4:58 pm

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:
Today, 4:16 pm
joachimt wrote:
Today, 4:12 pm
albajos wrote:
Today, 3:37 pm
So those 21 links on that site are just my imagination?
To be honest, this is the first time I notice the advanced search links on the right side of the top 250. How long have they been there? Several years ago IMDb had separate lists presented at its own page for genres and decades. They ditched them and then iCM decided to go with advanced searches themselves. I don't think the links you mentioned were there at the time.
Those links weren't there right away, but they were there relatively soon (weeks or months but not years, time is a blur to me now) after imdb's change. They were there by the time we were discussing what to do with the lists.
Yes, but they're only there for the genres, not the decades. I think that's one of the reasons we accepted your proposal PA, as it kept things consistent for both. I don't remember, it was a long discussion :p

Post Reply