Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 21st), 1954 awards (Jun 30th), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: A tanú, July nominations (Jun 28th)

The Criterion Collection

joachimt
Donator

Re: The Criterion Collection

Post by joachimt » January 11th, 2019, 7:09 pm

dirty_score wrote:
January 11th, 2019, 5:38 pm
:imdb: lists the Brakhage's Persian Series as a single entry https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6405238/?r ... ov_bio_lk3

Should this replace the various singles entries ? I remembered the same happened with Dog Star Man.
Not all of those series are included in the Criterion list, so it doesn't make sense to replace it.
Or am I wrong? Haven't got the dvd.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

dirty_score

Post by dirty_score » January 12th, 2019, 11:37 am

:imdb: lists as "An 18-part series of colorful shorts by Stan Brakhage." while also adding "This film is included on "By Brakhage: an Anthology", which is part of the Criterion Collection, spine #184."

EDIT: So I took a look https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/722-b ... ne-and-two and it's definitely the first 3 only.

Minkin

Post by Minkin » January 12th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Speaking of Criterion + experimental films and representation at ICM:

There's actually (at least) three Hollis Frampton films included on the Criterion Frampton set; but aren't listed on the packaging / website / etc .... because they're the menus for the disc!

This might be exclusive to the Blu-Ray version, but the home menu changes when you reload it; and includes the following short films:

Inside Silo 11 (1969)
Trees in the River, Kent OH (1973)
Tree Over the Valley, Eaton (1974)

Less (1973) might also be on there, but I'd need to check again.

So, if you own the Blu-Ray + played it, you can check the above films.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 12th, 2019, 9:25 pm

Minkin wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 2:14 pm
Speaking of Criterion + experimental films and representation at ICM:

There's actually (at least) three Hollis Frampton films included on the Criterion Frampton set; but aren't listed on the packaging / website / etc .... because they're the menus for the disc!

This might be exclusive to the Blu-Ray version, but the home menu changes when you reload it; and includes the following short films:

Inside Silo 11 (1969)
Trees in the River, Kent OH (1973)
Tree Over the Valley, Eaton (1974)

Less (1973) might also be on there, but I'd need to check again.

So, if you own the Blu-Ray + played it, you can check the above films.
But you're not suggesting adding them to the official list, right?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Minkin

Post by Minkin » January 13th, 2019, 5:30 am

I mean, I of course would welcome such an idea - but there's that strong contingent here who go by the title on the front alone ... and everything else must be thoroughly excluded (even when it's vague like the Godzilla set, or these shorts collections: what's a short and what's a bonus feature?).

Its just a weird curio and a nifty bonus for those who own it. Since you have to do some digging to find these shorts, its kinda more of an easter egg bonus than an included short. But still (as has always been my argument) - you can't separate these films from the set; and by buying the product, you also get these additional films as well as the "main feature" - no matter what the front cover says.

Here's the scale of the issue: https://www.icheckmovies.com/lists/crit ... van+dutch/
Especially as it would create 227+ new checks!

But again, we've had this argument before, it goes nowhere, and I seem to be the only advocate for it. An' ye harm none, do what ye will.