Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

La prima Angélica AKA Cousin Angelica (1974) FotW #330

Cocoa
Donator

La prima Angélica AKA Cousin Angelica (1974) FotW #330

Post by Cocoa » April 26th, 2020, 2:02 pm

Film of the Week #330: La prima Angélica AKA Cousin Angelica (1974)

Summary:
When the single middle-aged Luis travels from Barcelona to bury the remains of his mother in the vault of his family in Segovia, he is lodged by his aunt Pilar in her old house where he spent his summer of 1936 with her. He meets his cousin Angelica, who was his first love, living on the first floor with her husband and daughter, and he recalls his childhood in times of the Spanish Civil War entwined with the present.

#681 on 1000<400, with 122 checks.
Nominated by Armoreska, Cocoa, joachimt, and Minkin.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 1000<400 resultsShow
#681(⇩173, #508) La prima Angélica (1974)
[Cousin Angelica]

Directed by: Carlos Saura
(214.39 Pts, 5 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 1–2–2
History: 6815086931804870NA←NA
ICheckMovies: 117 Checks , 10 Favourites , 3 Official lists
List of Voters:Show
Muellwind (1)
bjornam (8)
zuma (148)
amechsner (175)
Ivan0716 (NA)

Here is a schedule of all the FotW.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 9th, 2020, 9:20 am

Finally watched last night. Overall, like most of Saura's work, a good, interesting film. It takes a few minutes to get one's footing as to what's going on re: the main character, but once I was up-to-speed I found it interesting and thoughtful.
SpoilerShow
This is as much a movie about memory - it's strengths and weaknesses and how one believes they remember something correctly when maybe they don't. It's less about the Spanish Civil War though that does effect the story and characters. But it's clearly not meant to be taken literally in much of any way (in relation to history).
Design works well, pacing flagged a bit midway (where's this going?), but then wrapped up in good order. Mostly the acting was decent though there were times when both López Vázquez and Canalejas just didn't seem to get it quite right (when they were representing their other selves) - it just felt overdone.
SpoilerShow
At times when the adults where acting in a scene from childhood, it felt way too much like adults trying to hard to act like kids. Hope that makes sense: it's hard to explain.
I rounded up to an 8/10 since the overall concept was good, interesting, and thought-provoking but can also see why some might not be moved by the way the story is told. It was different, and that's good in my book. Also, since it was made in the waning days of the caudillaje, it was clear Saura had to be careful what he said about the war.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here