Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th), 1951 (Sep 4th), 500<400 (Sep 23rd)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Jane B. par Agnès V. AKA Jane B. for Agnes V. (1988) FotW #323

Cocoa
Donator

Jane B. par Agnès V. AKA Jane B. for Agnes V. (1988) FotW #323

Post by Cocoa » March 8th, 2020, 3:49 pm

Film of the Week #323: Jane B. par Agnès V. AKA Jane B. for Agnes V. (1988)

Summary:
"I'll look at you, but not at the camera. It could be a trap," whispers Jane Birkin shyly into Agnès Varda's ear at the start of JANE B. PAR AGNES V. The director of CLEO FROM 5 TO 7 and VAGABOND once again paints a portrait of a woman, this time in a marvelously Expressionistic way. "It's like an imaginary bio-pic," says Varda. Jane, of course, is the famed singer ("Je t'aime ... Moi non plus"), actress (BLOW UP), fashion icon (the Hermes Birkin bag) and longtime muse to Serge Gainsbourg. As Varda implies, JANE B. PAR AGNÈS V. abandons the traditional bio-pic format, favoring instead a freewheeling mix of gorgeous and unexpected fantasy sequences. In each, Jane inhabits a new character, playing a cat & mouse game with Varda as they explore the role of the Muse and the Artist, all the while showcasing the multifaceted nature of Birkin's talent. "I'd like to be filmed as if I were transparent, anonymous, like everyone else," says Birkin. But her wish to be a "famous nobody" is impossible to achieve; Birkin is simply too magnificent, too mesmerizing. Here, Varda's signature mix of aesthetic innovation and generosity of emotion results in a surreal and captivating essay on Art, Fame, Love, Children and Staircases.

#469 on 500<400, with 130 checks.
Nominated by 72aicm, Cocoa, and joachimt.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 500<400 resultsShow
#469(NEW) Jane B. par Agnès V. (1988)
[Jane B. for Agnes V.]

Directed by: Agnès Varda
(267.54 Pts, 8 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–1–3
History: 4698227775NANANA←NA
ICheckMovies: 106 Checks , 13 Favourites , 1 Official list
List of Voters:Show
St. Gloede (9)
sebby (15)
Asberg (NA)
paul281f (NA)
hurluberlu (NA)
Smoover (NA)
72allinncallme (NA)
xianjiro (503)

This movie fits the current Directed by Women Challenge.

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » March 8th, 2020, 3:52 pm

Posting a fotw for the Directed by Women challenge while it's still International Women's Day in my timezone :party:

sebby

Post by sebby » March 8th, 2020, 5:12 pm

One of my favorite Vardas. I believe I nom'd it for dtc last year or year previous. Like most of Varda's best docs it somehow feels very grounded and almost lo-fi in approach, yet still radiates an above-the-clouds ethereal, fantastical quality.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » March 11th, 2020, 1:47 am

I enjoyed this film. I always love Agnès Varda appearing in front of the camera :wub: The Laurel and Hardy sketch :lol: I loved the loading room being viewed from above in an effort to portray it as a maze.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » March 16th, 2020, 8:32 am

Just watch it a bit too late for the week. Anyway, I don't really know what to do with this one. 6/10
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » March 16th, 2020, 2:48 pm

I watched this in a French archive in 2012 before it was available in the USA. Then by 2015, English subs were made and it was shown at a theater in Los Angeles with Agnes Varda in attendance. Really, loving both Varda and Jane Birkin, this movie is imaginative and fun. I hope everyone enjoyed. If people haven't seen it yet, it will still count for the remaining two weeks of the Directed by Women challenge, so why not check it out?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 11th, 2020, 10:40 pm

Nice film.
But it had its share of animal corpses.
I like the part where she said something about animals not being captive when dead.
And then Leaud said that he won't stand dead chicken on the table because he was a jailbird.
But in French, he doesn't say anything of the sort.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo