Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 0 Official Lists (Jul 31st), 1960 (Aug 9th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Ritzar bez bronya AKA Knight Without Armour (1966) FotW #317

Cocoa
Donator

Ritzar bez bronya AKA Knight Without Armour (1966) FotW #317

Post by Cocoa » January 26th, 2020, 5:13 pm

Film of the Week #317: Ritzar bez bronya AKA Knight Without Armour (1966)

Summary:
Impersonating a knight is one of the favorite games of nine-year-old protagonist. Now as Don Quixote, now as D'Artagnan he is fighting evil, he is searching for justice and defending the weak. Together with his friends, packed in cardboard armor, they play all day long. As he is playing, however, he unwittingly witnesses the relation between his parents and gradually comes to understand that the world of the adults is far removed from the canons of knightly honor. His parents love him, but never seem to find the time to listen to his concerns. The deceit, corruption and luck of respect in his own family alienate the small boy. The only adult, whom the boy trusts, is his uncle to whom he is attached by a genuine, equal, man-to-man friendship. He takes him to the cinema and theater performances and talks to him like with his peer. Will this sensitive kid ever succeed in building an internal armor against selfishness and rudeness?

#609 on 1000<400, with 52 checks.
Nominated by blocho.
On IMDb
On iCM

From the 1000<400 resultsShow
#609(⇧150, #759) Ritzar bez bronya (1966)
Directed by: Borislav Sharaliev
(227.03 Pts, 12 Votes) , Top 1–10–50: 0–0–1
History: 60975926503608NANA←NA
ICheckMovies: 52 Checks , 3 Favourites , 0 Official lists
List of Voters:Show
Mario Gaborović (27)
tommy_leazaq (78)
Nathan Treadway (87)
Mochard (NA)
Gershwin (121)
Fergenaprido (130)
Nopros (139)
filmbantha (171)
Gorro (216)
joachimt (298)
xianjiro (384)
Muellwind (450)

This movie fits the current Balkans Challenge.

Here is a schedule of all the FotWs.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » January 26th, 2020, 5:29 pm

This is the first World Cup film to be a film of the week during my time hosting FotW. (This isn't the first ever WC film being a FotW as there were multiple WC films as FotW during joachimt's hosting.)

There aren't a lot of films from the Balkans that are eligible for FotW that aren't either a WC film or a co-production. Most of the films that are eligible are mostly 1000<400 films. If you include Greece as a country from that region, then we already had the most voted for film that also fits this challenge last week with Istoria mias kalpikis liras (1955). Some websites include Greece and a portion of Turkey as part of the Balkans and a bunch of websites don't include them.I didn't include Greece in my initial search, but I did so today and there were only four Greek films not including the film we did last week with three of those four films being past WC films iirc, and the highest film out of those only received one vote and was also a WC film on the 1000<400 list so it didn't matter lol.

Fergenaprido
Donator

Post by Fergenaprido » January 27th, 2020, 3:33 am

I quite enjoyed this film when I saw it for the WC.

7.8/10 - Recommended.
Fergenaprido wrote:
May 13th, 2018, 6:30 pm
Ritzar bez bronya (Knight Without Armor) - perhaps the most pleasant surprise of the three, because it was absolutely not what I expected. The father character was irritating, but thankfully he didn't play a big role after the first third. That kid, though... I got so much enjoyment watching how he reacted to everything. A good gem from an underrepresented country; sad that the film's rating has dropped a bit on imdb since the match started.

zzzorf

Post by zzzorf » January 27th, 2020, 9:39 am

I watched this movie at the beginning of last month thanks to Nathan Treadway I my Facebook challenge. Unfortunately I only gave the movie a 5/10 and here is part of the review i left in my thread.

I had no problem with the acting or the production, all were done pretty well, my problem is that not much really progressed with the movie. The way it was set up was more like an anthology, a few different scenarios that Vanyo found himself but they barely connect together. Then their was so many questions unanswered at the end of each section and there seemed to be no real growth from what Vanyo learned. Maybe a rewatch is in order in the future to catch what I may have missed.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » January 30th, 2020, 12:25 am

A film receiving twelve votes not making it to the 500<400. Wow. Now I'm left wondering about the stats for what are the higher amounts of votes received for films in the 1000<400 that didn't make the 500<400 cut.

Cute film iirc. I liked the film, but I didn't necessary loved it.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » January 31st, 2020, 4:43 am

A pleasant movie, though it felt a bit slack dramatically. The true appeal is the authenticity it brings to the child's actions, games, friends, and thoughts.

Totally random factoid I learned: There's a 3-mile-long ridge in Antarctica named after the screenwriter.