Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st)

¶ Short of the Day #116: Transaension

Perception de Ambiguity

¶ Short of the Day #116: Transaension

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » June 13th, 2017, 10:40 am

"Short of the Day" is the daily discussion of a short.

Tasks:
1) Watch.
2) Discuss.
3) Send me your suggestions for the next Short of the Day per PM, along with links to the shorts and comments, questions for the other users to think about, and/or info about the short.

Detailed project introduction & index: here

Transaension (Dan Baker, 2006)

https://vimeo.com/4658201
Length: 6 minutes 21 seconds

Suggested by: hurluberlu

Reminiscent of Stan Brakhage work, I am not sure whether we are being shown the birth or the end of a dystopian world, maybe both before the next cycle. I just find the warmth and intensity of the reds and yellows fascinating, the ultimate and inseparable blend between light and humanity exposed on film.

Comments by: hurluberlu
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » June 13th, 2017, 3:25 pm

"Out of a sick morass of reds and yellows, blacks, burns, and direct-to-film scratches, arises the (post) post-industrial terror of our collective oil-stained subconscious." (TIE)

My interpretation would have been the relatively more simple: The world dreams of its own future and blistering chaos begets man. Man creates technology to bring order into the world. Unaware of the still existing chaos around him civilized man begets powerful technology that can bring chaos into the world. Man celebrates himself and his achievements until within one instant all of man "mysteriously" is no more.

But the "subconscious" interpretation I think describes it well, too.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on November 7th, 2017, 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » June 13th, 2017, 3:36 pm

You're on a roll with great suggestions, hurluberlu.
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Well here he is skidded out onto the Zone like a planchette on a Ouija board, and what shows up inside the empty circle in his brain might string together into a message, might not, he'll just have to see.

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » June 13th, 2017, 3:48 pm

Carmel1379 on Jun 13 2017, 09:36:11 AM wrote:You're on a roll with great suggestions, hurluberlu.
Well, I don't know about that animated Asian puke film. Not "XXX - Liquor", the other one. But sure, it had its good points, too.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on June 13th, 2017, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » June 14th, 2017, 9:03 pm

Carmel1379 on Jun 13 2017, 09:36:11 AM wrote:You're on a roll with great suggestions, hurluberlu.
Thanks, I am not attracted by shorts easily, yet the quality, and perseverance, of this daily thread put me in the mood I guess. So it was a fair payback.
Perception de Ambiguity on wrote:Well, I don't know about that animated Asian puke film. Not "XXX - Liquor", the other one. But sure, it had its good points, too.
There was a bit of puking recurrence, true, but a necessary purge before the transaension !

I am probably too simplistic but I saw this as a work on artistic creation and any creation process, making sense out of chaos, how light/heat reveal things. About the oïl-stained subconscious, yeah maybe if you leave in Texas near an oïl rig.
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage