Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st)

¶ Short of the Day #105: The Magic Sun

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 31st, 2017, 11:22 am

Has roots in 1920s European Avant-Garde, film reversal, the tradition of associating cool black and white photography with jazz (there's even a short film called 'Jammin' the Blues') and fascination with indigenous instruments. But it seems like its progenitors did more stimulating work, since I wasn't so taken by it, visually I found it a bit too unfocused to couple well with the music, even for a free jazz piece.
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Well here he is skidded out onto the Zone like a planchette on a Ouija board, and what shows up inside the empty circle in his brain might string together into a message, might not, he'll just have to see.

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » June 4th, 2017, 5:43 pm

I think of it as a performance video in which the visuals are an illustration of the music with its stark black and white photography being used like the minimal animation of an Oskar Fischinger, Walter Ruttmann, or Hans Richter film. Given that it works with live action material I think it's forgivable if it may not be as spot-on and expressive as the animated films.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » June 4th, 2017, 6:00 pm

Sun Ra :worship:

Ebbywebby

Post by Ebbywebby » June 6th, 2017, 5:24 am

I'm hardly an expert but, as yet, I've never heard a Sun Ra piece that made me believe he was more a musical genius than a *marketing* genius. I mean, was that music "composed" at all? Did anyone other than the drummers even demonstrate much technical skill? I get much more pleasure out of Ornette Coleman and Cecil Taylor. I agree that the closeups in negative recall those abstract animation shorts of the silent age.

PS I still say that 1966 is *the* year for short film. I've seen 105 shorts from '66, which is over 20 more than I've seen from any other year (if I don't count the Lumieres).
Last edited by Ebbywebby on June 6th, 2017, 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » August 14th, 2017, 5:23 pm

Just dropping off some material (which I haven't read yet) about Sun Ra (in particular about his "myth-science" and more broadly afrofuturism): Kodwo Eshun's More Brilliant Than The Sun and an article opening with this Sun Ra quote:

I am not a fantasy in a real sense
I am a fantasy in a false sense
yet I exist
there are no shadows where I am
because I am the fire of the lightening
and the flame of the sun
my name is the sun

nm
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Well here he is skidded out onto the Zone like a planchette on a Ouija board, and what shows up inside the empty circle in his brain might string together into a message, might not, he'll just have to see.

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
t o B e c o n t i n u e d