Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: 1950s (Results), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

The Offence (1973)

joachimt
Donator

The Offence (1973)

Post by joachimt » May 14th, 2017, 7:35 pm

Film of the Week #176: The Offence (1973)

Summary:
In Sidney Lumet's harrowing portrayal of police brutality, Detective Sergeant Johnson has been with the British Police Force for 20 years. In that time, the countless murders, rapes and other serious crimes he has had to investigate has left a terrible mark on him. His anger and aggression that had been suppressed for years finally surfaces when interviewing a suspect, Baxter, whom Johnson is convinced is the man that has been carrying out a series of brutal attacks on young girls. Throughout the interview Johnson brutally beats Baxter and during this ordeal he inadvertently reveals that the state of his own mind is probably no better than that of the offenders who committed the crimes that disgusted Johnson originally.

Info/Links:
#153 on 500<400, with 400 checks.
On IMDb
On iCM
From the 500<400 resultsShow

#153 (+263, #416) The Offence (1973, Sidney Lumet) - Points: 499.12 Votes: 12 Checks: 372 (IMDb)
12 votersShow
AdamH (#99)
bal3x (#33)
Captain_Zimmermann (#19)
Carmel98 (#108)
filmbantha (#120)
Gregmnewman (unranked)
Harco (#23)
jeroeno (#91)
lampadatriste (#118)
Marazmatique (#35)
mathiasa (#147)
sushantv10 (#96)
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 15th, 2017, 12:39 am

I've put it on hold - will take a couple weeks to get though. :(

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 15th, 2017, 8:02 am

xianjiro on May 14 2017, 06:39:08 PM wrote:I've put it on hold - will take a couple weeks to get though. :(
That's ok. I'm sure JT can also designate this Film of the Month
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 15th, 2017, 11:35 am

Just finished it. I like the fact that the movie doesn't go in the direction you'd expect at the beginning. When the girl is missing, I was expecting a regular police-hunting-bad-guy-movie, but instead it became a psychological drama about a messed up policeman. Didn't go deep enough to make me fully interested in the character, but still interesting enough to keep my attention. 7/10
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » May 15th, 2017, 12:13 pm

I watched this at in hotel apartment during the icm meetup in london, when we where there to watch Glance's Napoleon.

Once more, I agree with joachimt in words and rating.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 16th, 2017, 9:45 pm

Armoreska on May 15 2017, 02:02:36 AM wrote:
xianjiro on May 14 2017, 06:39:08 PM wrote:I've put it on hold - will take a couple weeks to get though. :(
That's ok. I'm sure JT can also designate this Film of the Month
d'oh! Just realized I've actually seen this - but can't say I remember it. Maybe all I need is a refresher.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

sebby

Post by sebby » May 21st, 2017, 5:37 am

Also have to echo joachim's sentiments. Wish we would have gotten a bit more behind the 8 ball of Connery's mental break. Did love the brutal naturalism. That's the Lumet I like. Took a glance at his filmography and wasn't quite aware how prolific he was. People talk a lot about Woody Allen making a film a year but Lumet pretty much did the same thing for about half a century.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 21st, 2017, 10:29 pm

yeah, remembered this one pretty quickly. Have watched plenty of cop shows and movies and remember not being that impressed. It hasn't aged all that well. Maybe it felt gritty and 'natural' at the time, but now it feels stilted and stiff. Clearly wants to move from the cop as hero to cop as complex character. It's mostly the acting that leaves me cold though the writing isn't stellar. But yeah, it's cool that it's not just the usual and we get inside the character's head, especially as it cracks. IDK, felt Connery over-sold it though and that weird lens filter thing... Still comfortable with a 7 though a weak 7 at that.

sol can find me here

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 30th, 2017, 12:29 am

Brutal and uncomfortable. Excellent direction from Lumet, and I like Connery's work a lot. The supporting players are also very strong. My one quibble is that it doesn't get beyond the staginess of the source material.