Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

Has the FOTW outplayed its role?

monty

Has the FOTW outplayed its role?

Post by monty » May 5th, 2017, 3:21 pm

So I was just wondering what you guys think about the FOTW - does it really bring anything much to the table? It seems that apart from our valiant Joachim, each round on average attracts just one or two participants. And as the majority of films picked get little or no discussion is there any point in keeping this going?
Last edited by monty on May 5th, 2017, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » May 5th, 2017, 3:27 pm

monty on May 5 2017, 09:21:41 AM wrote:So I was just wondering what you guys think about the FOTW - does it really bring anything much to the table? It seems that apart from our valiant Joachim, each round on average attracts just one or two others participants. And as the majority of films picked get little or no discussion is there any point in keeping this going?
I watch all the films, but I don't comment if I thought the film was terrible or meh. I got tired of making weekly negative posts :lol: I like the idea of FOTW and I don't think it should be gotten rid of.

albajos

Post by albajos » May 5th, 2017, 3:31 pm

It's always a good thing to highlight obscure movies, but attendance are probably low as obscure movies also are hard to find and watch, and thus discuss

monty

Post by monty » May 5th, 2017, 3:40 pm

I mean, it must be pretty demoralizing for Joachim to see all his work every week be rewarded with just one or two replies. Accordingly, if you don't want to exhaust Joachim's reserve of energy for continuing with this, you probably should post in the FOTW threads even if it's just negative reviews, Cocoa.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » May 5th, 2017, 4:20 pm

I like having the Film of the Week there, and it's a useful encouragement to watch more 500<400 films. I was watching one or two a month for a period of a year, but then I stopped last October so I could focus more on other lists and challenges. Once I have watched through some of my backlog of films I would like to focus on it more, but that might not be for another six months.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 5th, 2017, 5:23 pm

I can't vote for the last poll since I watch them very infrequently but not because I've seen most of them. Just because I prioritize other movies above them.
I think the WC played a big part in the diminishing interests in the FOTW.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » May 5th, 2017, 5:39 pm

Not only FotW, but also WC films and everything, would get more attention if 1- or 2-minute clip or trailer would be shown beforehand. What about that? Guys, just use it Free Video Cutter Joiner and make it yourself.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 5th, 2017, 5:42 pm

Mario Gaborović on May 5 2017, 11:39:35 AM wrote:Not only FotW, but also WC films and everything, would get more attention if 1- or 2-minute clip or trailer would be shown beforehand. What about that? Guys, just use it Free Video Cutter Joiner and make it yourself.
I doubt that, since a lot of people here don't watch trailers or place much value on them (even if they are self/fanmade)

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 5th, 2017, 6:17 pm

monty on May 5 2017, 09:40:00 AM wrote:I mean, it must be pretty demoralizing for Joachim to see all his work every week be rewarded with just one or two replies.
It's not that bad. It's just a few minutes work every Sunday evening.

Personally, I like it as a way of keep watching 500<400 regularly.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 5th, 2017, 7:46 pm

Lonewolf2003 on May 5 2017, 11:42:34 AM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on May 5 2017, 11:39:35 AM wrote:Not only FotW, but also WC films and everything, would get more attention if 1- or 2-minute clip or trailer would be shown beforehand. What about that? Guys, just use it Free Video Cutter Joiner and make it yourself.
I doubt that, since a lot of people here don't watch trailers or place much value on them (even if they are self/fanmade)
Yeah, I avoid trailers or clips for anything if possible.

I think FOTW is cool, but I never got into the rhythm of watching them so I never really prioritize them. I wouldn't say they're too obscure to be interesting, but I do think their obscurity makes people prioritize them lower.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on May 5th, 2017, 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 5th, 2017, 7:55 pm

for me the issue is getting the films - I don't have enough time to get them through ILL without doing a lot planning and even then timing is not in my control. So while I do follow it, even if it's something I'm interested in, it might be a month before I actually see it and then have likely forgotten it was FotW.

Now, for films acquired by ;) it's mostly been that I really dislike watching movies on my laptop but I'll make more of an effort

I did participate once and tried to put together a very thoughtful review. :hmph:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 5th, 2017, 7:57 pm

PS - official checks are going to catch my interest more than some super obscure meh-fest (say, like Wolverine vs Wonder Woman). I've no idea what criteria are currently being used to select films

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 5th, 2017, 8:07 pm

xianjiro on May 5 2017, 01:57:49 PM wrote:PS - official checks are going to catch my interest more than some super obscure meh-fest (say, like Wolverine vs Wonder Woman). I've no idea what criteria are currently being used to select films
All FotWs are from 500<400.
ICM-profile

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 5th, 2017, 8:12 pm

joachimt on May 5 2017, 02:07:25 PM wrote:
xianjiro on May 5 2017, 01:57:49 PM wrote:PS - official checks are going to catch my interest more than some super obscure meh-fest (say, like Wolverine vs Wonder Woman). I've no idea what criteria are currently being used to select films
All FotWs are from 500<400.
okay, cool - didn't know that and it's a great reason to pay more attention! :)

sol can find me here

RogerTheMovieManiac88

Post by RogerTheMovieManiac88 » May 5th, 2017, 11:23 pm

I enjoy seeing what the weekly selection is and I do think it's a fine way of highlighting a relatively obscure film for a period of time. Certainly a fun feature of the site!
That's all, folks!

weirdboy
Donator

Post by weirdboy » May 5th, 2017, 11:56 pm

I tend to watch them, but not necessarily in the same week they are FotW. Sometimes I front-load and sometimes I end up seeing them long afterwards. Just because I don't always post in the FOTW thread, doesn't mean I don't appreciate them.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 6th, 2017, 4:26 am

xianjiro on May 5 2017, 01:55:41 PM wrote:Now, for films acquired by ;) it's mostly been that I really dislike watching movies on my laptop but I'll make more of an effort
Plex. Or Kodi. But Plex.
ImageImageImageImage

Please don't hurt yourself, talk to someone.

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 6th, 2017, 4:33 am

Knaldskalle on May 5 2017, 10:26:59 PM wrote:
xianjiro on May 5 2017, 01:55:41 PM wrote:Now, for films acquired by ;) it's mostly been that I really dislike watching movies on my laptop but I'll make more of an effort
Plex. Or Kodi. But Plex.
Or just connect an HDMI cable to his TV. But if I remember right, xianjiro's issue is that he still has a vintage TV with no fancy inputs to connect the computer to it.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 6th, 2017, 7:35 pm

PeacefulAnarchy on May 5 2017, 10:33:19 PM wrote:
Knaldskalle on May 5 2017, 10:26:59 PM wrote:
Plex. Or Kodi. But Plex.
Or just connect an HDMI cable to his TV. But if I remember right, xianjiro's issue is that he still has a vintage TV with no fancy inputs to connect the computer to it.
;) Yeah, my TV is one the Flintstones would be proud to own - rats turning gears and a few extra transistor tubes to handle the coaxial conversion to cuneiform input on the clay tablet & stylus remote. But have to give it to the rats, they can sure redraw those images amazingly fast, especially given the lack of thumbs. :thumbsup:

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 6th, 2017, 7:37 pm

HDMI cable

pfft

ain't none of that new-fangled gadgetry in this house!

sol can find me here

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 6th, 2017, 8:08 pm

Alright, a Roku Epress+ box with composite outs will do the trick. Hook that up to your TV, install Plex on the Roku and your laptop and you're good to go. It'll stream your laptop content to the Roku and the Roku will display it on the TV.

This does require a wifi connection (b/g/n), meaning you need a wireless router for this to work (trying not to make any more assumptions!).
ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 7th, 2017, 3:05 am

Knaldskalle on May 6 2017, 02:08:38 PM wrote:Alright, a Roku Epress+ box with composite outs will do the trick. Hook that up to your TV, install Plex on the Roku and your laptop and you're good to go. It'll stream your laptop content to the Roku and the Roku will display it on the TV.

This does require a wifi connection (b/g/n), meaning you need a wireless router for this to work (trying not to make any more assumptions!).
that looks VERY interesting! and at a price I can handle ^_^

going to look into it - thanks!

oh yeah, do have wifi, but not sure which version
Last edited by xianjiro on May 7th, 2017, 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 7th, 2017, 3:14 am

okay, but isn't Roku just for streaming content that's available (and published) online? I'm probably missing something, but it doesn't seem like it would work with, say, something downloaded through a torrent - which I don't do, but let's use it as an example since it's not something that I do

sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 7th, 2017, 3:21 am

xianjiro on May 6 2017, 09:14:19 PM wrote:okay, but isn't Roku just for streaming content that's available (and published) online? I'm probably missing something, but it doesn't seem like it would work with, say, something downloaded through a torrent - which I don't do, but let's use it as an example since it's not something that I do
That's why he suggests that you to also buy and install Plex, which allows you to stream content to from your laptop to the roku.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 7th, 2017, 3:32 am

okay, I was just wondering about that - so the two would work together

hmmmm, if I understand correctly, I can do Plexfree, upload something to my fav cloud site then watch using the Roku+ stick. I've got to see how things are wired back there - know there was a trick to getting that stupid Digital TV tuner to connect (but reception has made it functionally useless, so I haven't even tried to use the damn thing since 11 Dec 2012 [day of shooting at local mall - easy to remember])

will my download bandwidth be an issue? I know my max available is 6937 Kbps but there are times when even uToob vids and the like buffer incessantly. Also, I'm not really sure why, but there are times when, for lack of better understanding, I gateway hop. My ISP doesn't assign a permanent connection, so depending on WTF, I might be connected to a server anywhere from northern California to Washington state. The main reason I know this is I see frequent error messages about my connection settings changing when I'm doing a lot of searching on the library website

but Plex also goes from device to device, so laptop to Roku/TV if I'm getting it, right?

sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 7th, 2017, 3:38 am

xianjiro on May 6 2017, 09:32:09 PM wrote:but Plex also goes from device to device, so laptop to Roku/TV if I'm getting it, right?
I don't use Plex, but that is my understanding. Uploading to the cloud and then downloading would be horribly inefficient even with a fast connection.

Edit: these are the ports you need if you don't have HDMI
If you have a DVD player connected you must have that, though probably only one so you can't have both connected together.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on May 7th, 2017, 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 7th, 2017, 3:56 am

PeacefulAnarchy on May 6 2017, 09:38:27 PM wrote:
xianjiro on May 6 2017, 09:32:09 PM wrote:but Plex also goes from device to device, so laptop to Roku/TV if I'm getting it, right?
I don't use Plex, but that is my understanding. Uploading to the cloud and then downloading would be horribly inefficient even with a fast connection.

If you have a DVD player connected you must have that, though probably only one so you can't have both connected together.
yeah, I know I've got the ports, but the TV only allows 2 inputs - in this case I have an early BluRay player (I can go into details if you really want to know why I have BRP attached to an analog TV) and VHS. What I seem to recall is I have to route the DigiTV receiver through the VHS so could replace the DigiTV receiver with Roku and set up the server on the laptop, then I'd just need to add the Roku MAC address to the router and it should work. I've checked that Plex supports Win 7 for the server though not sure what the letters 'dead' mean at the end of the filename - maybe it's just deprecated. Seems pretty clear Plex isn't actively supporting anything before 8.1

Is there anything in this happy family play party mess that I'm forgetting/missing?

Thanks for helping me with understanding this - I have to get away for a while since it's given me a headache. :sweat:

sol can find me here

avid

Post by avid » May 7th, 2017, 4:04 am

FOTW may refer to:

Fall of the Wall, the end of the Berlin Wall
Fall of the West Records
Fate of the World, a video game
Flags of the World
Frost Over the World, an Al Jazeera programme

:mellow:

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » May 7th, 2017, 5:01 am

avid on May 6 2017, 10:04:08 PM wrote:FOTW may refer to:

Fall of the Wall, the end of the Berlin Wall
Fall of the West Records
Fate of the World, a video game
Flags of the World
Frost Over the World, an Al Jazeera programme

:mellow:
Or, "Film of the Week" which is what this particular FOTW does. ;)
iCM

“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’
“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ (Matthew 25:37-40)

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 7th, 2017, 10:15 am

I'm new to the board, and I can't always get access to the films being promoted on FOTW, but it is one of the features that attracted me when I first arrived a few months ago.

I had trouble getting ahold of Nostos before it had already been passed by, but I did see it and enjoy it thanks to you, monty (for providing the link). As it had already come and gone, I didn't venture any commentary, but instead tried to open a conversation about Claire Denis' film, Friday Night.

In fact I went back to the post on Friday Night because I was interested in further conversation (It seems I have posted the final comment in various threads), but as very little was forthcoming, I moved along.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 7th, 2017, 7:59 pm

while this is a topic we've done elsewhere, but for brevity/continuity - how do you track down films, cinewest?

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 9th, 2017, 10:00 am

xianjiro on May 6 2017, 09:56:54 PM wrote:
PeacefulAnarchy on May 6 2017, 09:38:27 PM wrote:

yeah, I know I've got the ports, but the TV only allows 2 inputs - in this case I have an early BluRay player (I can go into details if you really want to know why I have BRP attached to an analog TV) and VHS. What I seem to recall is I have to route the DigiTV receiver through the VHS so could replace the DigiTV receiver with Roku and set up the server on the laptop, then I'd just need to add the Roku MAC address to the router and it should work. I've checked that Plex supports Win 7 for the server though not sure what the letters 'dead' mean at the end of the filename - maybe it's just deprecated. Seems pretty clear Plex isn't actively supporting anything before 8.1

Is there anything in this happy family play party mess that I'm forgetting/missing?

Thanks for helping me with understanding this - I have to get away for a while since it's given me a headache. :sweat:
well, everything seems to be working reasonably well though credit cards are required to set up Roku (though as soon as the account is active the data can be deleted) and getting subtitles to display is more akin to the black arts than anything I've ever seen. To be honest, I'm not really sure what finally got them to display, but it's some combination of settings in both Plex and Roku and then waiting for those settings to repopulate, but reading online I'm not the first to have this issue.

Anyway, thanks! :thumbsup:

sol can find me here

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 10th, 2017, 1:39 pm

How do I track down films?

Almost completely "old school."

I track film publications and festivals for interesting titles, and mostly look for hard copies, or see if I can find them on youtube or netflix.

I know there are a lot of ways to stream off of the internet, but most of the time I pursue them they lead to some kind of sign up and fee, and I try to limit all the "services" that want access to my computer, for a variety of reasons. I also like watching good films with the highest quality transfer I can find on the best possible display.

If not a movie theater (and/or film festival), then a hi-def, big screen Monitor, etc.

That said, I would love to be able to see certain films I haven't been able to find via my methods, and would appreciate any advice from knowledgable streamers and downloaders.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 10th, 2017, 1:52 pm

cinewest on May 10 2017, 07:39:23 AM wrote:I also like watching good films with the highest quality transfer I can find on the best possible display.
If you keep diving into the watching habits of this forum, the best possible quality can be very disappointing for you. We often watch movies that never had a proper DVD-release.
ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 10th, 2017, 8:32 pm

yeah, 100 year old filmstrips cammed on a 240p phone, uploaded on YouTube at 144p
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 10th, 2017, 8:49 pm

joachimt on May 10 2017, 07:52:22 AM wrote:
cinewest on May 10 2017, 07:39:23 AM wrote:I also like watching good films with the highest quality transfer I can find on the best possible display.
If you keep diving into the watching habits of this forum, the best possible quality can be very disappointing for you. We often watch movies that never had a proper DVD-release.
If by proper DVD-release you mean "official" rather than "good" then that's an overstatement. The vast majority of the films watched even by the most obscure-movie searching people on the forums have at least a mediocre DVD release, if for no other reason than finding and ripping obscure VHS is hard work so there aren't that many such films floating around.

Since this is about FOTW you've got me curious about the breakdown of films on the list by highest quality release.

Edit: This is not quite accurate but should be a decent approximation for the 2015 list:
164 Blu
44 HD no Blu
271 DVD (a few of these are probably not official releases)
21 TV/VHS

So maybe 5% of 500 <400 hasn't had an official DVD release.
Last edited by PeacefulAnarchy on May 10th, 2017, 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 11th, 2017, 1:03 am

cinewest on May 10 2017, 07:39:23 AM wrote:How do I track down films?

Almost completely "old school."

I track film publications and festivals for interesting titles, and mostly look for hard copies, or see if I can find them on youtube or netflix.

I know there are a lot of ways to stream off of the internet, but most of the time I pursue them they lead to some kind of sign up and fee, and I try to limit all the "services" that want access to my computer, for a variety of reasons. I also like watching good films with the highest quality transfer I can find on the best possible display.

If not a movie theater (and/or film festival), then a hi-def, big screen Monitor, etc.

That said, I would love to be able to see certain films I haven't been able to find via my methods, and would appreciate any advice from knowledgable streamers and downloaders.
well at least a couple of us are big fans of library services - it's certainly NOT as convenient as dl'ing/streaming, but there are an amazing array of things available - that just won't help much in participating in FotW

sorry, lost the train of thought from my question what what Roku/Plex Fever

I'm probably more in the dark when it comes to using the I'net to find rarer films and so far I'm not having much luck with it on Roku - like you said, everyone seems to want a credit card and I hate signing up for something I'll likely use one time, but am not sure, so it's do I use a disposable email/password or put it in my password locker for 'next time'?

Finding there are lots of options (though not necessarily for official checks) that offer free streaming, but I find the commercials quite intrusive and annoying

oh the trade offs

sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 11th, 2017, 1:05 am

PA: "So maybe 5% of 500 <400 hasn't had an official DVD release."

do you mean 'at all' or in region 1/North America?

sol can find me here

PeacefulAnarchy

Post by PeacefulAnarchy » May 11th, 2017, 1:32 am

xianjiro on May 10 2017, 07:05:51 PM wrote:PA: "So maybe 5% of 500 <400 hasn't had an official DVD release."

do you mean 'at all' or in region 1/North America?
I mean at all, also some of those DVD releases are quite bad. Being more accurate would require disproportionately more effort on my part.

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 11th, 2017, 1:39 am

PeacefulAnarchy on May 6 2017, 09:21:04 PM wrote:
xianjiro on May 6 2017, 09:14:19 PM wrote:okay, but isn't Roku just for streaming content that's available (and published) online? I'm probably missing something, but it doesn't seem like it would work with, say, something downloaded through a torrent - which I don't do, but let's use it as an example since it's not something that I do
That's why he suggests that you to also buy and install Plex, which allows you to stream content to from your laptop to the roku.
No need to buy Plex, you can just use the free version, which is more than adequate for most uses.

And yes, you basically just install Plex on your computer, then install the Plex app on the Roku (through the Roku Channel Store), make them connect to each other and then you stream directly from your computer to the Roku (no Internet required).
ImageImageImageImage