Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

¶ Short of the Day #27: Marilyn Manson - I Don't Like the Drugs (But the Drugs Like Me)

Perception de Ambiguity

¶ Short of the Day #27: Marilyn Manson - I Don't Like the Dr

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 11th, 2017, 1:17 pm

"Short of the Day" is the daily discussion of a short.

Tasks:
1) Watch.
2) Discuss.
3) Send me your suggestions for the next Short of the Day per PM, along with links to the shorts and comments, questions for the other users to think about, and/or info about the short.

Detailed project introduction: here

Marilyn Manson - I Don't Like the Drugs (But the Drugs Like Me) (Paul Hunter, 1998) :ICM: :imdb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EefPcht54c
Length: 4 minutes 40 seconds

Suggested by: Perception de Ambiguity

For short number 27 we finally have our first music video. The song was the second single of Marilyn Manson's 1998 album "Mechanical Animals". Befitting the sarcastic tone and simplicity of the lyrics the narrative of the video is less surreal than it may seem at first, one that is very typical for a sci-fi satire. There is the society with the ignorant public, the government people and people in power who mindlessly follow orders and uphold the status quo, and a knowing protagonist who is the story's metaphorical Christ figure. Except that this one - spoiler warning - doesn't have a happy ending, nothing has been won or gained by his death except for some good television entertainment. It was a timely satire for when television was still the opium of the masses and The Jerry Springer Show and similarly crude talk shows reigned supreme in the US. The visual contrast here between the run down dystopian world and Manson's glam rock star character is pretty funny.

Comments by: Perception de Ambiguity
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on March 11th, 2017, 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 11th, 2017, 1:54 pm

Mandatory reading about this music video:

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/theThirdAn ... mputateSin
http://www.nachtkabarett.com/theThirdAn ... icalChrist

And to have a better understanding of the people staring at the TV:

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/Celebritar ... itarianism
Last edited by themagician on March 11th, 2017, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 11th, 2017, 4:32 pm

themagician on Mar 11 2017, 06:54:38 AM wrote:And to have a better understanding of the people staring at the TV:

While it isn't necessarily a contradiction of Manson's concept of Celebri‡arianism I don't see the people in the video being directly related to this idea. They are just part of a TV nation living for mindless entertainment. The closest to a celebrity in the TV programs that we see here normally would be the talk show host, but he is as headless as the police men, hardly star material. But of course in talk shows the guests are the ones who are ready for their 15 minutes of fame shame, but again, there is no hint of worship of those TV celebrities among the viewers.

Manson's character himself turns into a TV image on his television cross in the end, so yes, it's implied that his death is televised, but I think he too will be immediately forgotten again, nobody knows or cares why he died, he's just the afternoon's entertainment, not the next JFK.

I'm tempted to see the video as being self-ironic about the Mechanical Animals era during which the Omega character and the TV cross were such prominent images, as if to acknowledge that Manson knows that the message of his "Mechanical Christ" won't get across, it will just become another meaningless image, a part of pop culture. Also, the TV set where his head should be is just static, mirroring all the headless people who uphold the status quo, as if to say that finally he himself becomes part of the media culture that he criticized.

Furthermore, the Mechanical Animals album, apart from the social critique, was self-critical (albeit in a very self-ironic way) about Manson's drug use and his aloofness as a rock star, which I think is perfectly combined in this video. I think within the self-contained story of this video drugs and being a rock star are exactly what so far had kept him from becoming one of the TV-addicted zombies, but the drugs also take their toll (which is how I would probably interpret the arm amputation here). Being coked out of his mind could also explain the weird dystopian world. But in the spirit of "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you" this doesn't mean that all the blame is to be put on the drugs.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on March 11th, 2017, 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

themagician

Post by themagician » March 11th, 2017, 5:20 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Mar 11 2017, 09:32:59 AM wrote:
themagician on Mar 11 2017, 06:54:38 AM wrote:And to have a better understanding of the people staring at the TV:

While it isn't necessarily a contradiction of Manson's concept of Celebri‡arianism I don't see the people in the video being directly related to this idea.
My interpretation is:

1) Mechanical Animals follows Holy Wood when Adam Kadmon has been captured by Holy Wood and his revolution has been turned into just another product, a product broadcast on TV for the celebritarians.

2) The drugs in the song are a metaphor for celebritarian consumption of the celebrity which keeps the celebrity "high." As long as you have viewers, you get to enjoy your high (unless you're Adam apparently), and these people supply the celebrity.

edit: Also we don't know the correct order of the songs in the triptych and I Don't Like The Drugs could be when he's starting to realize he's just a product, and therefore dislikes the "high."
Last edited by themagician on March 11th, 2017, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 11th, 2017, 8:58 pm

Adhering to the reverse-chronology reading of the triptych is fine and well, but surely you can't reduce every song to just being a piece of the overarching narrative of three albums, each song and each video also has to stand on its own.

Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on March 11th, 2017, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

themagician

Post by themagician » March 11th, 2017, 9:29 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Mar 11 2017, 01:58:17 PM wrote:Adhering to the reverse-chronology reading of the triptych is fine and well, but surely you can't reduce every song to just being a piece of the overarching narrative of three albums, each song and each video also has to stand on its own.

Manson's works are multi-layered as I'm sure you know and can be interpreted in many different contexts. For instance Holy Wood can be interpreted as criticism of American culture, it can also be interpreted in terms of alchemy, kabbalah, and tarot, and Adam and the triptych. It just depends on how deep you want to dig. Personally I really find the more esoteric context of Adam Kadmon and the occult extremely fascinating because that's how I've always read interpretations of the three albums since the days of MMUSA and Nachtkabarett. There was even a thread on the Nachtkabarett forums where people interpreted the triptych lyrics line-by-line and how it all related to Adam which is unfortunately lost now since Nick Kushner has passed away. And the NK forums had people who had a deep knowledge of the occult and Manson which made for a very interesting read. Also the most fascinating article I've ever read on Manson is Nachtkabarett's tarot article. I've actually translated most of NK's articles, including that one. I should finish the job and do the rest as well.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » March 11th, 2017, 9:37 pm

'Mechanical Animals' is one of my favourite albums, but oddly I haven't watched many of the music videos which I imagine extend and visualise the themes and emotions expressed within the album quite well. So I saw this music video for the first time now. I don't really have much to say, I'm just as empty and spurious as those TV watchers in the clip right now, maybe just a couple of points:

The faux-eyes (artificial perception, plastic humanity, self-delusion, cheap posthumans) family watching TV applauds the death of the entertainer in the end. Because he's easily replaceable? Because the ordinary family has nevertheless some ressentiment, wants to see the celebrity go down, as they too want to be rich and famous, spending time fantasising of being on TV, so the industry conditions itself and drives that one popstar to death to quickly spurt out another one? Seeing the downfall of a celebrity is just as entertaining, the media and people spend lots of times writing and reading about "scandals" etc. I was reminded of the South Park episode "Britney's New Look". Its wikipedia page gives the term "cultural martyrdom", but it might be used in different ways, so I don't know if it's exactly appropriate. There seems some congruence between the two, though in Marilyn Manson's view/music clip the entire nation is less self-conscious, more oblivious to this generated culture of celebrity sacrifice. I was also reminded of the song 'Mister Superstar' where the lyrics culminates in the fan wishing that his idol would "kill [himself] on TV" and he would be ready to do the same. The topic and psychology of suicide bombers comes up here, too bad fu isn't here to give us some insights.

And of course the recurrent comparison to Jesus, with his cross being made of TV, is apt too.

"God is in the T.V."

"Where Descartes needed God to mediate his relations with his fellows, secular man is happy with his television set, and with all the other commodified channels of pseudo-communication which his civilization has so thoughtfully endowed him. Such things are for his own protection of course; to filter out the terrifying threat of infection."
Last edited by Carmel1379 on March 11th, 2017, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Well here he is skidded out onto the Zone like a planchette on a Ouija board, and what shows up inside the empty circle in his brain might string together into a message, might not, he'll just have to see.

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

themagician

Post by themagician » March 11th, 2017, 9:53 pm

Carmel1379 on Mar 11 2017, 02:37:17 PM wrote:Because the ordinary family has nevertheless some ressentiment, wants to see the celebrity go down, as they too want to be rich and famous, spending time fantasising of being on TV, so the industry conditions itself and drives that one popstar to death to quickly spurt out another one?
They are The Nobodies of Valley of Death and the people on TV are The Beautiful People of Holy Wood. I believe what you're talking about relates to Coma White.
Manson himself has stated that Coma is not literally a woman but is a personification of an ideal of perfection, an unobtainable entity which we forever pine after and seek to make tangible but forever out of reach. It's a concept which the representation of which, though illustrated as a girl, is interchangeable with all that we use to numb and pleasure ourselves with: drugs, sex, religion, TV,etc. It's these very things which we use to attempt to bring us closer to this state of perfection to make us happy, these things that we believe bring us closer to "god", that liberates us but in reality does nothing but make us numb, inebriate us and make us more and more mechanical. Where in order to survive and function a "fuel" is needed: inject our veins or snort some powder; fuck to heighten our emotions; getting off voyeuristically in front of a screen at the misery of others; have the assurance that there's a higher power that makes you better than everyone else or at least being "one of the Beautiful People" to just look like you are, all to make life seemingly worth living. But this contentment instead makes us automatons in need of another "hit" in order to survive.

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/ComaWhite
I also recommend reading the article on celebritarianism: http://www.nachtkabarett.com/Celebritar ... itarianism

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 12th, 2017, 12:29 am

So, people, what are some of your favorite music videos, y'all? Let's hear it (just post the title and artist, please), and it may well become a future pick in the future.
dream realityImage

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » March 12th, 2017, 6:30 pm

I'm slacking behind and missing out on interesting music videos. I remember that around the time of your "recommend 2 or 3 songs" there was some talk on music videos. Anyway, you probably know most of these already, but here's the stuff that comes to my mind:

Rammstein - Mein Herz Brennt (Zoran Bihac)
From what I know there has been lots of footage shot for this one and hence why there are also several versions of the music video: the official video, piano version, and several (unofficial?) more with the "super extended cut" overplayed - one's already been barred from youtube, one's still on dailymotion.
The song and music videos are multi-layered and detached enough that it could generate some nice discussion and associations. Any Rammstein song+music video really, but that one in particular feels zealous and speculative. From the making off it seems clear that the artists weren't really sure what they were doing, but conjectured and created whatever images and scenes felt right and tasteful. But you'll know more about the history than me.

The Faint - Agenda Suicide
Any Aphex Twin one
Nine Inch Nails - The Perfect Drug (Mark Romanek)
Also the ones from 'Closer'.
Flying Lotus - Ready Err Not (David Firth)
Metallica - One (well, that's a no brainer)
Marilyn Manson - The Nobodies
Slipknot - Dead Memories; Left Behind; Psychosocial
Flobots - Handlebars
Grimes - Vanessa; Kill V. Maim; REAliTi
Björk - Isobel (Michel Gondry)
Tame Impala - The Less I Know The Better
The Dumplings - Kocham Być z Tobą; Betonowy Las
Bo Burnham - Repeat Stuff; Oh Bo!
Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again
Phantogram - Fall In Love
System of a Down - Sugar
The Prodigy - Voodoo People (Pendulum Remix); No Good (Start the Dance)

Ok, I'll cut it at this point.

Yours?
Last edited by Carmel1379 on March 12th, 2017, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Well here he is skidded out onto the Zone like a planchette on a Ouija board, and what shows up inside the empty circle in his brain might string together into a message, might not, he'll just have to see.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 12th, 2017, 8:48 pm

some videos from the top of my head ive liked. from past few years

La Femme - Sphynx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOic6pVAN30
Röyksopp & Robyn - Monument https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c-RbGZBnBI
Arca - Now You Know https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIaNV2MsUMA
Carpenter Brut - Turbo Killer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g
Grimes - Oblivion https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtH68PJIQLE
Amnesia Scanner - AS Chingy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02k126v3Zu4
Raketkanon - Florent https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8LU5ACDwJk

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 12th, 2017, 11:12 pm

Carmel1379 on Mar 12 2017, 12:30:23 PM wrote:I'm slacking behind and missing out on interesting music videos. I remember that around the time of your "recommend 2 or 3 songs" there was some talk on music videos. Anyway, you probably know most of these already, but here's the stuff that comes to my mind:

Rammstein - Mein Herz Brennt (Zoran Bihac)
From what I know there has been lots of footage shot for this one and hence why there are also several versions of the music video: the official video, piano version, and several (unofficial?) more with the "super extended cut" overplayed - one's already been barred from youtube, one's still on dailymotion.
The song and music videos are multi-layered and detached enough that it could generate some nice discussion and associations. Any Rammstein song+music video really, but that one in particular feels zealous and speculative. From the making off it seems clear that the artists weren't really sure what they were doing, but conjectured and created whatever images and scenes felt right and tasteful. But you'll know more about the history than me.

The Faint - Agenda Suicide
Any Aphex Twin one
Nine Inch Nails - The Perfect Drug (Mark Romanek)
Also the ones from 'Closer'.
Flying Lotus - Ready Err Not (David Firth)
Metallica - One (well, that's a no brainer)
Marilyn Manson - The Nobodies
Slipknot - Dead Memories; Left Behind; Psychosocial
Flobots - Handlebars
Bo Burnham - Repeat Stuff; Oh Bo!
Depeche Mode - Never Let Me Down Again
System of a Down - Sugar
The Prodigy - Voodoo People (Pendulum Remix); No Good (Start the Dance)

Ok, I'll cut it at this point.

Yours?
Funny you should mention "Agenda Suicide", I almost picked that one. I know that I talked about it with fu in the past, but did we?

Likewise my very first idea was "The Nobodies" before eventually arriving at this one. You seem to like your orphanage stories ("Mein Herz brennt"). (You probably need to see 'Saint Ange' (2014)) I was actually very surprised to learn that you aren't very familiar with Manson's videography. If you only watch a few make sure to at least see "Dope Hat", "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)", "The Beautiful People", "Tourniquet", "Long Hard Road Out of Hell", "The Dope Show", and "Coma White". See "Cryptorchid" if you want a substitute for watching the film 'Begotten'.

Cool, I've never seen that version of "Mein Herz brennt", so there must be at least three. I think this is probably the most interesting one.

I've always loved Rammstein's videos, because they tell stories. This may not seem like anything special but in the late 90's/early 00's when I actually watched a lot of music television, the scene was dominated by performance videos, so those videos stuck out. What's more is that the lyrics kind of tell stories, but instead of visualizing those stories they very much take the theme of that song but tell a different, wholly unexpected story. So they can even help one think of the song lyrics in a different way. They also have a great sense of humor, one that apparently was too subtle for many people until they went for full-blown comedy videos starting with "Keine Lust".

I've watched all the making ofs of the Rammstein videos, which are on a 3-DVD set as part of the Limited Edition of the best of album "Völkerball". And the band seems to mostly leave it to the directors to come up with ideas and to put the videos together. I think they usually discuss as a band if they want to go through with an idea or not, but once it comes to the shooting they pretty much put their trust in the director (they tend to work with the same few directors), they just (reluctantly) show up to the shoot and try to not give shitty acting performances. Have you at least seen all Rammstein videos?

"The Perfect Drug" is one of my favorites, as you know. "Closer", yes, obviously. "We're In This Together" also is one I like quite a bit. "Burn" is a treat for a 'Natural Born Killers' fan like me and it's just such a kick-ass song that isn't on any of the albums. "Starfuckers, Inc." was co-directed by Manson, by the way (and he has a guest part, you could say). And Fincher directed "Only", an unusual kind of performance video.

Aphex Twin videos are always interesting. The Chris Cunningham ones especially, of course, but also in general (but I guess most of them were made by Cunningham anyway).

There is still a lot of Björk I need to see, she seems to have consistently outstanding videos.

"Ready Err Not" - Just watched it. Cute. Strange song for a music video but it's David Firth, so I don't know why I would be surprised.

System of a Down's videos aren't really special, IMO, but I certainly saw "Sugar" a lot back in the day, as well as some other ones "Chop Suey!", "Toxicity".

"Never Let Me Down Again" - Really? The one that looks like a Hungarian documentary from the late 60's? Why?

"Repeat Stuff; Oh Bo!" - Word! Word! Word!

The Prodigy - I've seen their videos quite a bit. Good memories. I especially dug the aesthetics of "Breathe". And "Baby's Got A Temper" is pretty funny (the band uses their song and act to terrify cows in order to have them give special milk).

I won't go too much into my favorites (also because I need to keep some surprises for possible future picks, if needed), but as I've mentioned to you before, I think the videos of Tool are pretty special.

I'll check out the ones you mentioned that I haven't seen yet.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on March 13th, 2017, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » March 12th, 2017, 11:59 pm

Really need to systematically watch through more music videos, and check out others by those I like. There's a lot I like but recalling who did what and when ain't so easy.

Radiohead have good videos usually, I particularly liked that one they did recently with PTA Daydreaming. Agree that Tool videos are usually great.

Also like that Tame Impala one with the gorilla myself.

I don't mind some of the Gondry ones, though he alternates between ones I like and ones I hate, Massive Attack - protection is one of his I'm into.

NIN have some decent videos, they did one with Lynch which isn't bad. Coffee and TV - Blur is alright, any with a bit of humour in them, like some of the Beastie Boys ones, Sabotage or Intergalactic.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 13th, 2017, 2:29 am

Carmel1379 on Mar 12 2017, 12:30:23 PM wrote:Slipknot - Dead Memories; Psychosocial
Flobots - Handlebars
The Prodigy - Voodoo People (Pendulum Remix)
CANADA!!! Those guys are great. I hadn't seen that one. Excellent video indeed. Here is their vimeo account: https://vimeo.com/lawebdecanada

Grimes - Kill V. Maim
Britney Spears meets 'Blade', hehe. You only like the Grimes videos because you find her cute, admit it. She has some cool (individualistic) dance moves, though. A bit comparable to Karen O from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs who is energized and fashionable, yet also has a cool factor and is rebellious. I actually considered Y-Control for a fraction of a second for this thread because with the children running havoc + throwing around numbers, it would have made for an appropriate follow-up to 'Provincial School'. Not particularly discussion-worthy, though (although I dig that video). I think the most interesting Yeah Yeah Yeahs video has to be Sacrilege. A bit reminiscent of Rammstein's "Rosenrot" video.

Predictably the only ones that stuck out to me were the CANADA one and the Björk one. "Handlebars" and the Polish one weren't uninteresting and the b&w Monica Bellucci-look-a-like one looked nice on the big screen.

I have a certain admiration for Rob Zombie's videos (he directs all his own videos). They are kind of like his music, old-school and energetic dumb fun. He certainly knows how to cut to the music, which already means a lot. And while on the subject of heavy metal you may like Messe Noire by Behemoth (dedicated to H.R. Giger).
A fun one: Dizzee Rascal - Bassline Junkie
And one to force you to hear some more Kid Cudi, a wonderfully unsettling video in its simplicity, about paranoia and alienation, nicely deliberately paced, befitting the music: Kid Cud - "No One Believes Me"
And I probably don't need to recommend Lady Gaga to anyone, do I? (Marry the Night, Applause, Paparazzi, Telephone, Born This Way, Judas)
dream realityImage

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » March 13th, 2017, 3:26 am

Perception de Ambiguity on Mar 11 2017, 05:29:02 PM wrote:So, people, what are some of your favorite music videos, y'all? Let's hear it (just post the title and artist, please), and it may well become a future pick in the future.
"Little Trouble Girl" - Sonic Youth
"Da Funk" - Daft Punk
"Technologic" - Daft Punk
"Closer" - Nine Inch Nails
"Came Back Haunted" - Nine Inch Nails
"All is Full of Love" - Bjork
"Smack My Bitch Up" - The Prodigy
"Another Kind of Love" - Hugh Cornwell
"Schism" - Tool
"Windowlicker" - Aphex Twin
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 14th, 2017, 11:18 pm

nimimerkillinen on Mar 12 2017, 02:48:02 PM wrote:some videos from the top of my head ive liked. from past few years

Those were all great, visceral videos, and I hadn't seen any of them, thank you very much for sharing! Cool music too. Apparently I need to see more music videos for modern electronic music. (At least) one of them we will hear more of on the forum very soon. More of the same, please, nimimerkillinen!

The mid-section of "Röyksopp & Robyn - Monument" reminded me a lot of a short film I like, but I won't say what film because I may want to use it (or another film by the same filmmaker) for "Short of the Day". But here is a hint, it was inspired by a painting from the artist who made this in the 1920's:

(It's not a James Whitney film, but he is great, too. Definitely check out Whitney's work if you haven't, I'm sure you will dig it, nimimerkillinen.)
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on March 14th, 2017, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » March 15th, 2017, 3:05 am

Agenda Suicide - I don't remember whether we talked about it. This is the case where alongside an already powerful lyrics, the music video is really fully-fledged in what it tries to communicate. But maybe I'll write more about it in a near-future short of the day, because I've just anew made the connection between the music video and that one short I've proposed so far.

I must've seen a few of those Manson videos, but I can't remember them that much. I'll certainly check them out, thanks.

Agreed about Rammstein music videos (I've seen all the ones that they've got listed on their channel + Stripped), I think you've explained why they're so good before already (that they tell stories that aren't directly based of the lyrics).

'Burn' has this nice 'loss of (childhood) innocence' and 'discovering the world' theme going on, I like the montage and choice of images a lot. Were some of those from 'Natural Born Killers'? I should give the film another chance.

I kind of wanted to do a "one music video per artist I like" thing too, so that's why the System of a Down one and Depeche Mode clips came up. I'd agree that they haven't got much going on in them, but alongside videos by Kate Bush for example, they do have some discernible style that still elevates them above mediocrity.
I rewatched 'Never Let Me Down Again', which I thought was more eventful than it is. But from my tumblr you know that I'm a sucker for such black and white seemingly-generic photographic images. I'd also mention 'Strangelove' (which you'll find perhaps more exciting) and a song by that electropop Polish band again, for some more comparably cheap, yet appealing to me shots.

words, words, words by the hungry hungry hippocrite [sic] is obviously great too.

Grimes - I admit.

Wow, is that the opening to Blade? Sweet (blood). I adore those rare rave scenes in films, the Wachowskis obviously deliver very well in this respect for example.
I like those two video clips from Yeah Yeah Yeahs, but I wasn't familiar with the band. I know Karen O for 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' and Lynch's 'Pinky's Dream'.

After watching Sacrilege I was reminded of two other narrative dark music videos that I like:
DATA - Don't Sing feat. Benny Sings
Bullet For My Valentine - Waking the Demon

Concerning Rob Zombie, I don't know if this is going to ruin the song for you or not (I hope not), but try dancing the macarena to his 'Dragula'. At a rock club night I went to, people started doing this and there's surprisingly a great rhythmic congruence between the dance moves and the song, it fits very well in. I found only one video online where people were doing this, so this seems like a still largely undiscovered thing. Maybe a little demeaning, but for a collective dance it's quite enjoyable and wacky.

Messe noire - Nice. Cannot go wrong with occult and Giger-looking stuff. I like the flying Vampire Hunter D/Babadook-clothed character.

I remember the time when Dizzee Rascal's 'Bonkers' was on repeat on television and how he appeared during the London Olympics Opening Ceremony.

No One Believes Me - I believe you (see vampires around you too). Ace video, I can see why you like it :thumbsup:

"don't need to recommend Lady Gaga to anyone, do I?" - Gaga ooh-la-la! Nope, no need. I like the one for 'Poker Face' too.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on March 15th, 2017, 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 15th, 2017, 4:59 am

BUUURN!!! - Some of the footage was in 'Natural Born Killers', like the ones with the stars from the film, obviously, and also some of the stock footage, but I think a lot of the "random images" stuff wasn't, but look like unused footage. Since the film is loaded with such stock footage it wouldn't surprise me. Since Reznor produced the movie soundtrack he worked very closely together with Oliver Stone, so it would make sense that he had access to that footage. The scenes with Reznor and the childhood/raging father scenes are a very good appropriation of the movie's style and imagery (with Reznor basically playing the part of Juliette Lewis, funnily enough).

That's kind of the problem with thinking of great music videos aside from all the usual suspects, many great videos are from "random" artists, so you either never see them in the first place or when you do you can't easily recall them when asked for great videos.

words - I know the song, of course, but I hadn't actually seen the video before.
"I hate catchy choruses and I'm a hypocrite." - Kind of reminds me of:

There is a longish pre-credits sequence if I remember correctly, but otherwise, yes, that's the opening of the great 'Blade'.

"Strangelove" is more interesting, yes. The Dumplings - Well, I guess it's notable that they went from this amateur movie to a properly produced one within apparently 2 1/2 years...

I most dug "Oblivion", the Grimes video nimimerkillinen linked to, for how it took those live events and totally altered what must have been the original atmosphere there. She just shows up to those sporting events with her headphones, dances around and makes it her own. At the same time the video makes it look like everyone is kind of on the same wavelength, like they are all partying together.

Shocking. You certainly also know Karen O for The Moon Song in 'Her' which even made her "Oscar Nominee Karen O", pretty much the most unexpected word combination since "Oscar Winner Trent Reznor" and before that "Oscar Winner Eminem". I'm not particularly a fan of mellow Karen O, though. I like everything Yeah Yeah Yeahs but my favorite funnily enough is the 5-song EP "Is Is" which is my favorite EP ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiMZq3m ... 2tdlx0XouB

Yes, "Don't Sing" is very good. I actually saw "Don't Sing" and "Sacrilege" one after the other when I went through some music videos that were listed on IMDb a while ago. Muscle Museum by Muse is a bit in the same vein.
Bullet For My Valentine - Waking the Demon - Ugh. Not a fan. When Slipknot do their "maggots"-pandering videos they have a bit of a grungy style that makes them at least a little interesting to watch.

Nice. But I bet the Macarena fits with a lot of things.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on March 15th, 2017, 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » March 17th, 2017, 9:44 am

Perception de Ambiguity on Mar 14 2017, 05:18:28 PM wrote:
nimimerkillinen on Mar 12 2017, 02:48:02 PM wrote:some videos from the top of my head ive liked. from past few years

Those were all great, visceral videos, and I hadn't seen any of them, thank you very much for sharing! Cool music too. Apparently I need to see more music videos for modern electronic music. (At least) one of them we will hear more of on the forum very soon. More of the same, please, nimimerkillinen!

The mid-section of "Röyksopp & Robyn - Monument" reminded me a lot of a short film I like, but I won't say what film because I may want to use it (or another film by the same filmmaker) for "Short of the Day". But here is a hint, it was inspired by a painting from the artist who made this in the 1920's:

(It's not a James Whitney film, but he is great, too. Definitely check out Whitney's work if you haven't, I'm sure you will dig it, nimimerkillinen.)
ive only seen Film Exercises 2-3 by James Whitney so thanks for mention :thumbsup:

here are some pretty interesting/nice ones :turned:

Boredoms - Vision Creation Newsun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sPxde77NRE
Holly Herndon - Chorus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHujh3yA3BE
Destroyer - Kaputt https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puu3IvKnSb4
Ceephax Acid Crew - Probey's Poker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xq3srxF_B8
Bo Ningen - Slider https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXXpLHKWlVA
Huoratron - $$ Troopers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPwCmhvmHeM
iamamiwhoami - vista https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIr2SJlzXvc

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » March 17th, 2017, 7:06 pm

@Carmel
For an actually very good bully-themed music video I recommend Indochine - "College Boy". It just popped into my mind today so I thought I should mention it, although it's hardly a hidden gem since it was directed by Xavier Dolan (and actually stars the guy from 'Mommy').

@nimimerkillinen
I'll check them out, thank you. I'll get back to you when I'm done. And if you want to pick any more for "Short of the Day" you are very welcome to do so.
dream realityImage

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » June 24th, 2017, 6:38 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on Mar 17 2017, 01:06:04 PM wrote:@Carmel
For an actually very good bully-themed music video I recommend Indochine - "College Boy". It just popped into my mind today so I thought I should mention it, although it's hardly a hidden gem since it was directed by Xavier Dolan (and actually stars the guy from 'Mommy').
Seeing that 1x1 aspect ratio immediately brought Dolan's 'Mommy' to mind. Quite coincident that this music video, just like "I Don't Like the Drugs", also incorporates a metaphorical cross. "Waking the Demon" obviously has the fantasy-pertaining occult-vampire revenge motif, implying the compulsion/need to reach the philosophically transgressive realm to react against bullies and in fact commit an even superior offence, i.e. murder. It's fairly pathetic (see "douchebag vampire wannabe boner"), but I don't think it's devoid of relevance or tenure in reality. "College Boy" is more fatalistic (and obviously more realistic), since despite the boy's efforts to train boxing or whatever, he still lands on the collectively ignored cross; it's definitely one of the better bully-themed things I've seen recently.

Anyway, the true reason for this bump is to share this music video:

... as I found it thematically connected to the "I Don't Like the Drugs (But the Drugs Like Me)" music video, with ideas about television, the spectacle, and an admired artist/TV personality going overboard, becoming a threatening alien, an image that taps into humanity's unconscious horrors (of capital and media).
Last edited by Carmel1379 on June 24th, 2017, 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » November 8th, 2017, 6:48 am

:imdb:
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on November 8th, 2017, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage