Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1930s (Results), 1972 (Jun 21st), 1954 awards (Jun 22nd), 2010s (Jun 28th)
Challenges: 1950s, Eastern Europe, Banned Films
Film of the Week: Scandal Sheet, July nominations (Jun 28th)

Has the FOTW outplayed its role?

Knaldskalle

Has the FOTW outplayed its role?

Post by Knaldskalle » May 11th, 2017, 1:47 am

xianjiro on May 6 2017, 09:56:54 PM wrote:What I seem to recall is I have to route the DigiTV receiver through the VHS so could replace the DigiTV receiver with Roku and set up the server on the laptop, then I'd just need to add the Roku MAC address to the router and it should work. I've checked that Plex supports Win 7 for the server though not sure what the letters 'dead' mean at the end of the filename - maybe it's just deprecated. Seems pretty clear Plex isn't actively supporting anything before 8.1

Is there anything in this happy family play party mess that I'm forgetting/missing?

Thanks for helping me with understanding this - I have to get away for a while since it's given me a headache. :sweat:
Under the Minimum Requirements for the Windows version it says, Windows 7 SP 1 and the latest release of Plex Media Server is dated yesterday. Plex Media Server is the one you want for your laptop.

These guys have released versions of Plex for FreeBSD(!!), so there's no way they'd not support Windows 7, given that it still makes up around half the PCs on the Internet. I'm not sure what the "dead" letters refer to, but the letters d, e, and a are all part of the hexadecimal numbering system and I guess it's possible the md5 checksum yielded that result...???
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 11th, 2017, 1:55 am

PeacefulAnarchy on May 10 2017, 07:32:48 PM wrote:
xianjiro on May 10 2017, 07:05:51 PM wrote:PA: "So maybe 5% of 500 <400 hasn't had an official DVD release."

do you mean 'at all' or in region 1/North America?
I mean at all, also some of those DVD releases are quite bad. Being more accurate would require disproportionately more effort on my part.
cool - just wanted to be clear :)

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » May 11th, 2017, 2:04 am

Knaldskalle on May 10 2017, 07:47:52 PM wrote:
xianjiro on May 6 2017, 09:56:54 PM wrote:What I seem to recall is I have to route the DigiTV receiver through the VHS so could replace the DigiTV receiver with Roku and set up the server on the laptop, then I'd just need to add the Roku MAC address to the router and it should work. I've checked that Plex supports Win 7 for the server though not sure what the letters 'dead' mean at the end of the filename - maybe it's just deprecated. Seems pretty clear Plex isn't actively supporting anything before 8.1

Is there anything in this happy family play party mess that I'm forgetting/missing?

Thanks for helping me with understanding this - I have to get away for a while since it's given me a headache. :sweat:
Under the Minimum Requirements for the Windows version it says, Windows 7 SP 1 and the latest release of Plex Media Server is dated yesterday. Plex Media Server is the one you want for your laptop.

These guys have released versions of Plex for FreeBSD(!!), so there's no way they'd not support Windows 7, given that it still makes up around half the PCs on the Internet. I'm not sure what the "dead" letters refer to, but the letters d, e, and a are all part of the hexadecimal numbering system and I guess it's possible the md5 checksum yielded that result...???
yeah, got the free version and so far it's working fairly well though while watching a movie from Plex (on harddrive) last night it just stopped. I'm also not always able to use the forward and reverse buttons on Roku when streaming from the Plex server and not sure what that's about. I had been using Roku Media Player and just remembered that there is a Plex app - just installed it and will see if that helps.

But mostly, I'm pretty pleased with the whole thing. Now just need to work through my backlog and then find things I want/need to see.

Again, thanks for the help and suggestions! :thumbsup:

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 11th, 2017, 4:00 am

xianjiro on May 10 2017, 08:04:02 PM wrote:
Knaldskalle on May 10 2017, 07:47:52 PM wrote:

yeah, got the free version and so far it's working fairly well though while watching a movie from Plex (on harddrive) last night it just stopped. I'm also not always able to use the forward and reverse buttons on Roku when streaming from the Plex server and not sure what that's about. I had been using Roku Media Player and just remembered that there is a Plex app - just installed it and will see if that helps.

But mostly, I'm pretty pleased with the whole thing. Now just need to work through my backlog and then find things I want/need to see.

Again, thanks for the help and suggestions! :thumbsup:
My Roku is so old it doesn't even have the Roku Media Player (a "Roku HD" from 2010). I'm barely able to get the Plex App to run, but the streaming works just fine. You may have to "optimize" certain movies (in your case "optimize for TV") and then let the computer transcode the movie before you can play it. I have that issue with some movies where the sound doesn't go through. Fortunately it only takes about 15 minutes for my laptop to address that and then it works flawlessly.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 11th, 2017, 7:53 am

PeacefulAnarchy on May 10 2017, 02:49:42 PM wrote:So maybe 5% of 500 <400 hasn't had an official DVD release.
That's less than I expected.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 11th, 2017, 11:16 am

joachimt on May 10 2017, 07:52:22 AM wrote:
cinewest on May 10 2017, 07:39:23 AM wrote:I also like watching good films with the highest quality transfer I can find on the best possible display.
If you keep diving into the watching habits of this forum, the best possible quality can be very disappointing for you. We often watch movies that never had a proper DVD-release.

Not sure what you mean by a proper DVD release, but I often see very good films at festivals ( there are a ton in the area where I live, not to mention art institutes, and an amazing film archive) that simply disappear afterward, though I have been able to track down a few on DVD (often with poor quality that doesn't do them justice).

What resources do you tap into?

Smart TV's often provide apps for sites that stream, even YouTube, and I have used some of them before, but my situation has changed,so I don't have the same kind of access to things at the moment.

I have tried watching a few films with Intreruptions and poor quality transfers, and really don't enjoy that, but I would love to hear about good solutions for finding some of the more obscure (often foreign language titles with subtitles) that I am looking for
Last edited by cinewest on May 11th, 2017, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 11th, 2017, 3:51 pm

cinewest on May 11 2017, 05:16:36 AM wrote:
joachimt on May 10 2017, 07:52:22 AM wrote:
cinewest on May 10 2017, 07:39:23 AM wrote:I also like watching good films with the highest quality transfer I can find on the best possible display.
If you keep diving into the watching habits of this forum, the best possible quality can be very disappointing for you. We often watch movies that never had a proper DVD-release.
Not sure what you mean by a proper DVD release, but I often see very good films at festivals ( there are a ton in the area where I live, not to mention art institutes, and an amazing film archive) that simply disappear afterward, though I have been able to track down a few on DVD (often with poor quality that doesn't do them justice).

What resources do you tap into?

Smart TV's often provide apps for sites that stream, even YouTube, and I have used some of them before, but my situation has changed,so I don't have the same kind of access to things at the moment.

I have tried watching a few films with Intreruptions and poor quality transfers, and really don't enjoy that, but I would love to hear about good solutions for finding some of the more obscure (often foreign language titles with subtitles) that I am looking for
I'm not in a situation where I can attend film festivals and the cinema's here mostly show mainstream stuff. For art institutes I'd have to go to Amsterdam for example. Nothing where I live.

If movies are available on reasonably priced DVD/Bluray, I try to buy. I'm not paying 10+ euros though for every movie I want to watch. That would mean hundreds of euros each month.
Other than that it's downloads/youtube for me. Netflix-selection here is not interesting for the real filmbuff. I only watch recent mainstream stuff on that.

I hardly watch movies on my TV, btw. Almost everything on my laptop.
ICM-profile

cinewest

Post by cinewest » May 12th, 2017, 5:10 am

I've had some trouble finding films on youtube without being redirected to numerous services that want me to sign up and pay, as well as download software I am unsure about.
This happens even when I use keywords like "free download"
Any thoughts about how to navigate and locate good resources on YouTube are much appreciated

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 12th, 2017, 8:17 am

cinewest on May 11 2017, 11:10:06 PM wrote:I've had some trouble finding films on youtube without being redirected to numerous services that want me to sign up and pay, as well as download software I am unsure about.
This happens even when I use keywords like "free download"
Any thoughts about how to navigate and locate good resources on YouTube are much appreciated
There are a lot of fake "full movies" on youtube. You can safely go to the youtube-page of such a movie, but the moment you don't actually see the movie and you are directed to a link, just back-off.

Example:
The first Pirates of the Carribean on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJ1ObdnfpI
Really, you didn't expect that to be the full movie? In such cases you see one screen for the full runtime, either this green screen of the universal logo or whatever and there's a link for the full movie. Just don't click that link. It's useless.

This happens with lesser known movies as well.

Normally when searching on youtube for a movie and it doesn't show up at the first results-page, it's just not there. Remember to try original title and aka. In some cases add a year or a director to the search.
ICM-profile

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » May 14th, 2017, 2:17 am

I have to say that, though I believe today was my first response to a FOTW thread, I enjoy the concept, and enjoyed similar threads on IMDb. I don't get into challenges or group watches too much, just not the way I've been used to watching films, and so unless the FOTW is something I've seen relatively recently or really remember well, I likely won't contribute. But I think it's valuable and as somebody who values discussion over lists and contests generally, I hope you keep it up and I'll try to contribute when I can.
Here's to the fools who dream.

monty

Post by monty » December 7th, 2018, 8:46 pm

So how's the situation nowadays? Would you guys say there are more people taking part than before? Is there more enlightened discussion?

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » December 8th, 2018, 1:26 pm

There was a discussion about it recently. See; viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3898