Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

NuclearPlanet's 2012: A Year In Viewing

Nuclearplanet

NuclearPlanet's 2012: A Year In Viewing

Post by Nuclearplanet » August 28th, 2012, 12:24 am

I've been wanting to do this for ages, but haven't managed to find the time. Hopefully I won't give up on it like other things :whistling: and it'll continue to the end. Basically I'll be reviewing all the films I've seen this year.
Last edited by Nuclearplanet on August 28th, 2012, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 8:39 am

1. Little Big Man (1970)

Jack Crabb, looking back from extreme old age, tells of his life being raised by Indians and fighting with General Custer.

This started off greatly fun but declined around half way through. I found the character hilarious and could be seen as a young ancestor to Forrest Gump :thumbsup:

6/10

Originally Watched: 1 January 2012
Last edited by Nuclearplanet on September 17th, 2012, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 8:43 am

2. Green Lantern (2011)

A test pilot is granted a mystical green ring that bestows him with otherworldly powers, as well as membership into an intergalactic squadron tasked with keeping peace within the universe.

I Saw this on my 3D tv B) and It was bland-fully mediocre in plot. I've never been a fan of the comics and neither do I see myself becoming a fan of the film. It's laughable bad, but seeing it in 3D is awesome (I'm possibly the only person who supports 3D :D )

5/10

Originally Watched: 1 January 2012
Last edited by Nuclearplanet on September 17th, 2012, 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 8:44 am

3. Muriel's Wedding (1994)

Muriel’s Wedding is P.J. Hogan’s film debut. A humorous emancipation story of an unemployed woman who evolves from a dreamer into a self sustaining successful woman. An amusing comedy that’s funny, silly, angry and serious.

I felt really depressed after watching this. It was around 3 O'clock in the morning and left wondering around my house and sat in the corner of my room eating a bowl of Ice cream while crying about how my dog died. It had a strange effect on me this film, to a point I myself don't understand. But I gladly loved it. Toni Collete's acting is A*!!!!

8/10

Originally Watched: January 1st 2012
Last edited by Nuclearplanet on September 17th, 2012, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 9:11 am

4. Fright Night (2011)

A teenager suspects that his new neighbor is a vampire.

I remember the expectancy of this film just before it first came out. Everyone thought it was going to be such a horrendous remake. Fortunately, this one is ace and flows nicely, even just slightly better then the original. It goes around being a shock if you've seen the original before long, as changing so little like setting it in Nevada and having Peter Vincent's show a Vegas show act instead of a Horror Host can change the overall tone of the film.

7/10

Originally Watched: 2 January 2012
Last edited by Nuclearplanet on September 17th, 2012, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 9:18 am

5. Reefer Madness: The Movie Musical (2005)

An outrageous tongue-in-cheek musical comedy adaptation of the classic 1936 anti-marijuana propaganda film.

An Hilarious comedy that manages to be Hilariously entertaining. from the 2000's, Musicals have dropped like a bomb out of interest. Yet this remains to be one of the brightest catchiest I've ever seen. This should never be missed for fans of the Original 1936 propaganda film.

7/10

Originally Watched: 3 January 2012.
Last edited by Nuclearplanet on September 17th, 2012, 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 9:24 am

6. Fright Night Part 2 (1988)

Charlie Brewster and Peter Vincent from the original Fright Night must face more vampires out for revenge.

This was a huge disappointment when you're a huge fan of the Original Fright Night. It remains very hard to follow, having very little to do with it's prequel. I'd skip this one and wish it never excised. :facepalm:

2/10

Originally Watched: 3 January 2011

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 9:56 am

7. The Satanic Rites Of Dracula (1973)

In London in the 1970s, Scotland Yard police investigators think they have uncovered a case of vampirism. They call in an expert vampire researcher named Van Helsing (a descendant of the great vampire-hunter himself, no less) to help them put a stop to these hideous crimes. It becomes apparent that the culprit is Count Dracula himself, disguised as a reclusive property developer, but secretly plotting to unleash a fatal virus upon the world.

The Second Hammer film I've seen since it's famous 1958 Dracula. I saw it on a 50 movie box - Drive-In Classics, and although not great, remains entertaining. It's filled with cheesy Dialogue and feels like a Science Fiction/Mystery/Detective Film-Noir at times with all it's ridiculous plot lines.

6/10

Originally Watched: 3 January 2012

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 10:04 am

8. Kinsey (2004)

A look at the life of Alfred Kinsey (Neeson), a pioneer in the area of human sexuality research, whose 1948 publication "Sexual Behavior in the Human Male" was one of the first recorded works that saw science address sexual behavior.

Interesting Bio-Pic that is entertaining and emotional propelling. Great for a boring afternoon, but has a made-very-tv feel that makes not worthy to go out of your way to watch it.

7/10

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 10:10 am

9. High Fidelity (2000)

Rob, a record store owner and compulsive list maker, recounts his top five breakups, including the one in progress.

You really get to know the character's in this one, which may explain to cult statues on this one. John Cusack is great, portraying the likes of an every day ordinary guy.

8/10

Last edited by Nuclearplanet on September 17th, 2012, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 10:23 am

10. Watchmen (2009)

In an alternate 1985 where former superheroes exist, the murder of a colleague sends active vigilante Rorschach into his own sprawling investigation, uncovering something that could completely change the course of history as we know it.

An almost perfection adaptation next to comics. It's by no means better, but because they felt so similar, it didn't work well as a film - should have stayed a comic. Imagine if they kept the giant squid monster, It would have look and felt ridiculous. As good as it can get, Watchmen is entertaining for a 3 hour film. By now means was I ever bored. :thumbsup:

7/10

Last edited by Nuclearplanet on September 17th, 2012, 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 10:32 am

11. Chasing Amy (1997)

Holden and Banky are comic book artists. Everything's going good for them until they meet Alyssa, also a comic book artist. Holden falls for her, but his hopes are crushed when he finds out she's a lesbian.

One of the best Kevin Smith Films, Chasing Amy is a hilarious, filled with unexpected twists, comedy. By the end of it, you feel very touched.

7/10

Originally Watched: 4 January 2012

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 10:41 am

12. The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (1994)

Two drag queens and a transsexual get a cabaret gig in the middle of the desert.

Probably the funniest Australian film EVER, The three main cast do a great job of portraying the character's; their's a real sense of friendship and understanding that can be seen among them. Priscilla is the defying word of "fun" - not to be missed.

9/10

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 10:51 am

13. The Return Of The Living Dead (1985)

When a bumbling pair of employees at a medical supply warehouse accidentally release a deadly gas into the air, the vapors cause the dead to re-animate as they go on a rampage through Louisville, Kentucky seeking their favorite food, brains.

I remembering buying this on DVD when I was kid, remembering the poster looked awesome when you're a 9 year old Horror Fanatic. Unfortunately, the company that made the DVD mixed it up strangely with the film "Army Of Darkness" (not the first time that's happened, believe it or not). But remembering the poster, I had to see the Originally film I planned to see and...I LOVED It! I thought it be much scarier, much to the tone of Evil Dead Series, but that doesn't mean it's not great. Wish it was longer though, way too short.

7/10

Last edited by Nuclearplanet on September 17th, 2012, 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 11:00 am

14. Hugo (2011)

Set in 1930s Paris, an orphan who lives in the walls of a train station is wrapped up in a mystery involving his late father and an automaton.

Finally, after months of waiting, I watched this in theater with my family. I liked it, but It could have been better. I felt that it was kinda slow. My brother, who is 9 (the films target audience), didn't like it and thought it was boring. It reminded me of A Series of Unfortunate Events in tone (one of my favorite movies when I was a kid).

7/10

Originally Watched: 4 January 2012.

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » September 17th, 2012, 11:09 am

15. Cast Away (2000)

A FedEx executive must transform himself physically and emotionally to survive a crash landing on a deserted island.

I remember seeing parts of this as a kid on TV, I finally went and watched in one piece. Surprisingly entertaining for the amount that happens in the film. Never a dull moment.

7/10

Originally Watched: 5 January 2012