Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

A Companion Guide to Life as Fiction

Life as Fiction

A Companion Guide to Life as Fiction

Post by Life as Fiction » May 23rd, 2012, 4:08 am

Been running lifeasfiction.com, a film commentary site/log, for over six years now. Though it already has over 400 commentaries, I've been less than diligent in updating it recently. But since I just updated for the first time in 2.5 months, figured I'd start a companion log on here as well.

A "non"-warning of sorts: There are no spoilers. I prefer talking about the feel and thematics of a film so people can decide if it interests them. Not always successful, but that's generally the goal.

First up: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » June 10th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Life as Fiction on Jun 10 2012, 08:07:01 AM wrote:Prometheus

Who could forget "tears in the rain?" Isn't that scene what made Blade Runner click? I'd argue that scene alone is responsible for half of the film's cult following. It perfectly encompassed everything, thematically and spiritually, and completed both the characters' and the audiences' emotional arc.
Interestingly enough the tears in rain part was added by Rutger Hauer, without telling Ridley Scott beforehand : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears_in_rain_soliloquy
Last edited by jvv on June 10th, 2012, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

insomnia

Post by insomnia » June 10th, 2012, 2:31 pm

Idd, that reminds me of what Jafar Panahi was saying in his latest 'film': This Is Not a Film. When he had a kind of breakdown in his project and started to show bits of his older movies where actors had done things that he couldn't have thought of which made the whole thing work out for the better.

Life as Fiction

Post by Life as Fiction » June 11th, 2012, 12:42 am

jvv on Jun 10 2012, 08:26:40 AM wrote:
Life as Fiction on Jun 10 2012, 08:07:01 AM wrote:Prometheus

Who could forget "tears in the rain?" Isn't that scene what made Blade Runner click? I'd argue that scene alone is responsible for half of the film's cult following. It perfectly encompassed everything, thematically and spiritually, and completed both the characters' and the audiences' emotional arc.
Interestingly enough the tears in rain part was added by Rutger Hauer, without telling Ridley Scott beforehand : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears_in_rain_soliloquy
Yeah, sadly the best thing ever in Scott's films aren't even his. I watched most of the extra interviews/footage in the 5-disc set, and Scott's ideas are generally not beneficial.

For example, he wanted to make it clear that
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Deckard was a replicant
instead of leaving it up to the viewer.