Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

these strange things happen all the time

amief

these strange things happen all the time

Post by amief » May 19th, 2011, 12:58 pm

i decided to make a film log. the title is from one of my favorite films, Magnolia.

you should know that i'm not a film critic and my reviews will be only what i personally thought of the film.
let's begin!

amief

Post by amief » May 19th, 2011, 1:16 pm

i got up rather early today but that could be since i went to bed around 9. i decided to watch Ed Wood. i'd heard good things and i usually like tim burton films.

Ed Wood

this could not have been a more perfect film, i loved it immensely. johnny depp portrayed ed wood excellently and martin landau did a fabulous job as bela lugosi. this film really inspired me to never give up on my movie making dream.

amief

Post by amief » May 19th, 2011, 5:51 pm

Pom Poko
(source)

i've been working on a personal challenge to see every studio ghibli film made and i just finished pom poko. i picked a gif for the picture just because i don't think a picture would do it (that scene) justice. i really enjoyed the story and it kept me wondering. i laughed, felt guilty and may have even shed a tear.

Kasparius.

Post by Kasparius. » May 19th, 2011, 8:12 pm

Hurray for the title of your log. Magnolia is my favorite film of all time.

amief

Post by amief » May 20th, 2011, 9:28 am

Elephant

the first thing i want to say about this movie is the poster (seen here). that part in the movie (in my opinion) didn't play as big of a role as the poster made it seem. i thought there would at least be some more interaction between those two. i do understand that if he didn't go to that room and she wouldn't have kissed him on the cheek then maybe the story would have been completely different but for the time being, i don't think it should have been on the poster. i would have preferred just the elephant. this has nothing to do with my opinion about the movie because i thought it was great. the perspective was marvelous and i liked the long walks through the corridors (which appears to be everyones number one flaw in the movie). it kept me wanting more and i always love when a movie does that.

amief

Post by amief » May 20th, 2011, 9:28 am

Kasparius on May 19 2011, 02:12:13 PM wrote:Hurray for the title of your log. Magnolia is my favorite film of all time.
:D
mine too!

amief

Post by amief » May 21st, 2011, 6:46 am

Brainstorm

from now on i'll be commenting on what i think of the movie poster because i quite like that idea and this poster may just be one of my favorites, ever. jeffery hunter was phenomenal and while the story has been done before, everyone worked it enough for me to believe that it was my time seeing a movie like this one. i really liked the whole late film noir feel, it gave it something special. i certainly think it's a movie more people should see.
Last edited by amief on May 21st, 2011, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

amief

Post by amief » May 21st, 2011, 9:18 am

Whisper of the Heart
([url=http://cree-.tumblr.com]source[/url])

where do i even begin? the movie poster is simply beautiful (seen here), the whole film is beautiful. coincidently, me and my cat watched this movie and i'm pretty sure he loved it just as much as i did. all the while i was watching it, i kept thinking why i haven't seen this sooner. there's so much truth in the whole story and i feel like that's the kind of thing a child should watch when they're young. it was heartwarming, poetic and visually beautiful.

amief

Post by amief » May 22nd, 2011, 8:10 am

Scrooge (1935)

obviously i'm just in time for christmas. i remember watching this on tv when i was little and falling asleep five minutes in and i never bothered to finish it. tonight was the night. i guess when you're a child you never realize how sad the story was or at least i didn't. there's a grumpy old man whose life is terrible and becomes even more terrible when he's seen and told the future and past which are both things he cannot change. it made me quite nostalgic. overall, i really enjoyed it.

amief

Post by amief » May 22nd, 2011, 10:00 am

Storytelling

well, uh yeah. i found myself saying that after a lot of scenes in the movie because they were either awkward, outrageous or weird. i understood everything, that wasn't the problem but i tried to relate this to myself or life in general and while i can, there's something off. it's like inside my head i keep saying "no, this couldn't possibly happen" and i've watched enough movies to know that everything that occurs in them isn't always true but yet they're all made up of elements that could very well be. it was a weird movie and i'm still not sure how to react.

amief

Post by amief » May 23rd, 2011, 6:28 am

Les Triplettes de Belleville

just when i thought sylvain chomet couldn't top the illusionist, he did. this actually came out before the illusionist but i'd seen that one first and i just knew i had to see this. every element of the movie is fantastic and i love how it hardly has any dialogue. for some odd reason that relaxes me and the story is completely wild, i definitely was not expecting it but then again i hardly read up on movies before i watch them so it's always a pleasant surprise to see them turn out wonderful. when the credits rolled i found myself thinking how much i would love to be in sylvain chomet's mind, everything about this film was original and the animation was flawless.

amief

Post by amief » May 23rd, 2011, 11:43 am

Breakfast at Tiffany's

it's taken me too long to watch this but i'm glad i did. i've always known about the little black dress and her oversized cigarette holder. i even knew about them before i knew this movie existed which is odd because suddenly these things are iconic and you have no idea why. i'm rambling. this film was cute, nothing more and nothing less. it's perfect for a rainy day or a night where you just feel like stuffing your face and crying because it appears that you're always going to be alone. as always, audrey hepburn was gorgeous and george peppard was incredibly handsome.

amief

Post by amief » May 23rd, 2011, 2:04 pm

The Petrified Forest

thank god for bette davis and leslie howard. they were fantastic in this and overall the story is quite nice. i really can't say much because i'm pretty much in love with anything bette davis is in. before watching, i had no idea humphrey bogart was in this film but i enjoyed his skill and looks just as i always do. i'll recommend it to anyone who wants to watch something with just the right amount of crime, drama and romance.

amief

Post by amief » May 24th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Thumbsucker

i wasn't so much in love with the movie as i was the brilliant story behind it. it's a film about a boy who sucks his thumb which i thought would have just been a metaphor, but it wasn't. i liked that something so simple and pointless as thumbsucking could eventually change this kid's life forever. i'm kind of going through a rough time in my life and i will always appreciate a movie that gives me some kind of hope which this film did. the only problem with the entire film was keanu reeves casted as some hippie dentist, it didn't fit but i guess that was the point. not everything was supposed to fit and that's okay.

amief

Post by amief » May 26th, 2011, 10:28 am

Princess Mononoke

hayao miyazaki literally kills me with his beautiful animations. i'm pretty convinced that he can do no wrong. i really liked this one but i did find myself kind of bored, i don't know why because the movie wasn't what you'd call boring. perhaps it's because i'm tired. overall, i'll most likely watch this again in the future just to see if it stands up to how highly i think of it now.

amief

Post by amief » May 26th, 2011, 3:25 pm

Almost Famous

i heard a lot of good things about this film, everyone i know tells me they don't understand why i haven't seen it and perhaps it's because of the build up that everyone put on it but i wasn't really impressed. the only thing that i thought was A+ was the soundtrack. the movie was okay but it wasn't great and that's all i'm going to say.

amief

Post by amief » May 26th, 2011, 6:34 pm

Full Metal Jacket

i agree with everyone everywhere that says the first half of the film is better than the second but i didn't think the second half was boring. it's a war film, i don't think you can do much with that unless unicorns are flying through the sky while leprechauns are dancing upon rainbows but then again i haven't seen many war films. i liked it, it had something special. stanley kubruick, you did well.

amief

Post by amief » May 27th, 2011, 2:26 pm

A Streetcar Named Desire

excuse my language but holy shit, why haven't i seen this sooner? i'm in complete and total awe of everyones performance in this. it was absolutely incredible and definitely one of the betters movies i've watched lately.

amief

Post by amief » May 27th, 2011, 11:40 pm

The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane

what an odd little film. i really liked watching jodie foster as a child doing a role that was pretty..strange, to say the least. she's so evil but yet so sweet. for some reason i really did like it though, it was nice and had the perfect amounts of romance and horror.

amief

Post by amief » May 28th, 2011, 2:31 pm

My Neighbors the Yamadas

this film was so cute! i think it's definitely one of the underrated ghibli films. i fell in love with the animation but then again i love most animations. you can't help but love the yamadas because they're just like every family.

amief

Post by amief » May 29th, 2011, 11:52 am

Public Speaking

the best documentary i've seen in a while. it helps that i admire both fran lebowitz and martin scorsese but the content was brilliant and i felt like i could really relate to everything fran talked out.

amief

Post by amief » May 31st, 2011, 8:47 pm

in the past couple days i've watched metropolis, 8½ and me and orson welles and i was going to do write about them but i feel like most of my "reviews" just repeat the same things over and over so i probably won't be doing that anymore. i'll just post what i'm watching and if i have something to say about it, i will.

Metropolis

Me and Orson Welles
Last edited by amief on May 31st, 2011, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amief

Post by amief » June 19th, 2011, 8:01 pm

oh wow, i completely forgot about this and since i belong to another forum, that's where i've kept my list of movies so here they are. (they're numbered because on the other forum i've been counting every movie i've watched this year)

247. once upon a time in america
248. forgetting sarah marshall
249. cashback
250. every day
251. the cat returns
252. choking man
253. labyrinth (1986)
254. the dark crystal
255. le roman de renard
256. please give
257. lilja 4-ever
258. vivre sa vie
259. the exploding girl
260. jack goes boating
261. cry-baby
262. howl's moving castle
263. capote
264. sunshine cleaning
265. trick 'r treat
266. pan's labyrinth
267. hotel chevalier (this is only a 13 minute short but i'm going to count it because i can)
268. the shining
269. the lives of others
270. thor
271. paul
272. hanna
273. super 8
274. pierrot le fou
275. the goonies
276. tales from earthsea
277. candy
278. temple grandin

amief

Post by amief » April 9th, 2012, 5:13 am

it's been brought to my attention that i completely forgot about this thread.

let's try this again, yeah?

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 9th, 2012, 5:23 am

Nice to have you back. :) All members are free to have their own thread where they keep a log of films they've watched like this one. I find this type of thread interesting.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » April 9th, 2012, 7:58 am

I've been wanting to make a film log of my own too. Thank you for starting one.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » April 9th, 2012, 8:00 am

I've been wanting to make a film log of my own too. Thank you for starting one.

amief

Post by amief » April 9th, 2012, 11:30 am

Shame

it's 6am and i just finished this one. i don't really know what to say about it besides the fact that mcqueen did it again. the character study was phenomenal. i felt uncomfortable, i felt awkward, i cringed and just for that mcqueen wins my heart. he made me feel things for a character i never thought i'd feel for.

Enigma

Post by Enigma » April 9th, 2012, 8:31 pm

Yay! :) I watched "Les Triplettes de Belleville" because of this thread (and it is in my top 5 now).

amief

Post by amief » April 10th, 2012, 1:27 am

Enigma on Apr 9 2012, 02:31:22 PM wrote:Yay! :) I watched "Les Triplettes de Belleville" because of this thread (and it is in my top 5 now).
this makes me so happy!

also thanks to everyone for the support on starting this film log back up again. :D

amief

Post by amief » April 10th, 2012, 1:59 am

Detachment

it's very seldom that a film leaves me speechless but here i sit, speechless. i wish i could find the words to say everything i want to say about this one but right now i can't. i give tony kaye a round of applause.

amief

Post by amief » April 11th, 2012, 3:31 am

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

i heard so many terrible reviews about this and i don't really understand why. i hate when people can't understand that a book is one thing and a film adaptation is another. they are two very different things. if this wouldn't have been a book before a film, people would have loved it.

okay back to my thoughts on the film. i think stephen daldry did a wonderful job. it has a sort of mystical feel to it like living in a dream or a fantasy story you'd read before you'd go to bed. it was adventurous, sad and heartwarming (also a little long but i respect that daldry kept most of what was in the book into the film). no, it wasn't a perfect film but it didn't need to be.

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » April 11th, 2012, 4:43 am

amief on Apr 9 2012, 07:27:02 PM wrote:this makes me so happy!

also thanks to everyone for the support on starting this film log back up again. :D
Really glad I managed to encourage you to continue this thread. I'd love to see other members do it too. Burneyfan would be the best contender for it I think considering her interesting and detailed reviews. I'd do one myself but I haven't watched a film for a few weeks. :P

amief

Post by amief » April 11th, 2012, 7:37 am

Martha Marcy May Marlene

this reminded me of dogtooth. other than that i'm pretty neutral about it. man, i've got to get better at these review things.

allisoncm

Post by allisoncm » April 11th, 2012, 8:53 am

My friend recommended this film to me yesterday. He has pretty decent taste, but if my library didn't carry it, there's no way I'd see it. Actually, it only has a few holds, so by the time I get back from vacation, it should be ready for me! :/

Gorro
Donator

Post by Gorro » April 11th, 2012, 9:07 am

The last two films I saw these days as well. I didn't like Extremely Close & Incredibly Loud at all, and this is mostly caused by the fact I couldn't stand the kid. The acting of him was subpar imo. Max von Sydow was wonderful though. I haven't read the book, so can't compare to that.

Marthy Marcy May Marlene on the other end I loved. The fluidity with which the two timelines are interweaved is wonderful. The mystery and tension is carefully build to the nice climax. Elizabeth Olsen does a wonderful job as well. A wonderful way to spend 100 minutes.
Last edited by Gorro on April 11th, 2012, 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.