Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: 1970s (Results), 1950 (Jun 24th), Japan (Jun 30th), Essential Cinema (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Italy, Queer Cinema, Film From Each Year
Film of the Week: Drive a Crooked Road, July nominations (Jun 25th)

lecram's quests

Carmel1379
Donator

lecram's quests

Post by Carmel1379 »

Hello everyone.

My name is Carmel, and I have an adult "neurodevelopmental disorder", because of stuff. I would like to open a new topic for myself where I'll be posting my viewings of this year onwards. The viewings will consist of films/series/TV episodes/shorts/book fragments -- you name it! I will also be posting friendly resolution screenshots, personalized genre descriptions, mini-reviews, etc. This will also help me collect my viewings for the weekly threads, currently hosted by kongs_speech.

This thread is not meant to offend anyone, I simply don't have the focus to concentrate on watching films these days, because I'm also attempting to read books by some of my favourite authors, and sometimes it's difficult in these trying times to pray or meditate, especially when I'm locked up in a psychiatric hospital where most people speak Dutch (the primary reason for me making this thread, such that I can write in English -- my main language -- but neither my mother tongue (Polish) of vadertaal (Flemish)) and they administer Zyprexa to young adults.

My viewings will sometimes overlap with some of the challenges that are currently in action. Currently these challenges are: Japanese cinema, the Westerns genre, and the Mystery/Thriller genre. I will view at least one film from each of those categories this month. Alongside these I'll be catching up on 2020 movies, a big year in cinema due to COVID-19.

If you're interested in following this thread, then don't hesitate in quoting stuff I wrote, commenting, slandering, shouting, screaming, or engaging in cordial urbane discourse. With this centralised thread of my ensuing viewings for this year, I would like to continue being an active member of this film forum community.

Thank you for reading.

Happy 10th anniversary to my favourite film forum of all time!! :wub:
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 6th, 2021, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arittake no (yume (nikki)) & I suppose I’ll have to add the force of gravity to my list of enemies

:imdb: IMDb Revolutions :letbxd: exwordpress blue :ICM:
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

Watchlist: Inside Man (2006, Spike Lee), 花とアリス / Hana to Arisu (2004, Shunji Iwai), Goldfinger (1964, Guy Hamilton)

for 2020: Lux Æterna, Possessor, The Giant (II), Gretel & Hansel, 日子 Days, Never Rarely Sometimes Always, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Druk, On the Rocks, Mandibules, Prisoners of the Ghostland, Lovers Rock
Last edited by Carmel1379 on June 6th, 2021, 8:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
arittake no (yume (nikki)) & I suppose I’ll have to add the force of gravity to my list of enemies

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

[picture was stolen & hence deleted]

(the not-moving picture above was found on Google Images, dragged to my MacBook Air desktop and changed accordingly)
(I believe Spike Lee -- the director -- is on the right of the picture (wearing shorts because you can see a leg), but to the left from the perspective of the main star of this movie, that is Denzel Washington.)

#1 Inside Man (directed by Spike Lee; starring Denzel Washington, Clive Owen, Jodie Foster, Christopher Plummer, Willem Dafoe, and Chiwetel Ejiofor; 2006) [Netflix] :imdb: :letbxd:

Right from the start I was delighted by the international feel, opening credits, upbeat music, heist thematics, and driving cars. A man in a tie asks a woman who sounds like Margot Robbie to lower her voice. One can observe a lot of United States of America flags, since the film uses a lot of adult language, which probably explains MPAA's "Rated R for language and some violent images" as quoted from the film's Parents Guide page on IMDb. "What about us?" Well, I suppose this film was crafted around 5 years after a terror attack against New York. I'm guessing NYPD stands for New York Police Department. The plot thickens when masked individuals wearing sun glasses ask the bank staff & customers to give their cellphones and keys away. Clive Owen is obviously playing the guy with the gun. He also played in Anon. Pepsi and Chevrolet are advertised in this joint of a movie. "The bank has been robbed." is said on Television, while Willem Dafoe finally appears on screen. Emphasis on the word "detective" and "crime scene" and "walk to the diner." The coughing people made me sad. Also other things such as me having to see this on a small screen while I'm continuing to type this review. Jodie Foster has a new case. She knows some of the same people as Christopher Plummer knows, whilst Simon Pegg has a cameo role around the 27th to 28th minute of the film. I will continue watching the movie and writing this review after I have drank some water and went out for a smoke. That's all for now. [Pausing with space bar.] [Time elapsed.] Continuing after I have "verkennen" the puzzle-like hospital a bit more, including buying myself a Kit Kat for 1 Euro, which I'm saving for the late evening.

Food is mentioned around the 42nd to 44th minute. Pizzas and water are delivered to the bank. A Russian translator is necessary for the NYPD -- amongst which we can see Detective Denzel Washington. Chiwetel Ejiofor plays a character with a tie & shirt called "Mitch". I will now go eat something and return to the movie later.

The police with the help of other civilians have concluded the bank robbers speak Albanian almost perfectly. A masked Clive Owen enters a safe with fiat money and delivers the pizza to a boy . The editor included a Grand Thief Auto reference in this sequence of the movie, where a character in Grand Thief Auto says "Eat this, eat that."

Minute 55, seconds 27. I'm reminded of Lego Batman I played on the Play Station 2 console while I was around the age of the boy who ate the pizza I mentioned in my previous paragraph. The Detective meets Jodie Foster in a car where another man is siting on the left of Jodie Foster from -- we suspect -- the point of view of Detective Denzel Washington. Detective Denzel Washington finally makes a not-so-long-distance telephone call with Clive Owen. One hour and Eight Minutes left, runtime includes End Credits (for the record). The man who wants a glass of water reminds me of the scene in 'Transformers' (directed by Michael Bay) where a man ate donuts and spoke to the police.

Clive Owen "chose the corner," apparently. A person with breasts apparently violated something. Height and age seem to be relevant, says Mitch. The Detective confirms with mentioning the concept of "cup size". The editor cuts to another room and Detective Denzel Washington coughs twice with facial hair above his lips. He mentions, and I'm quoting "Bullshit questions" and "The Albanian Thing". The detectives think about how Clive Owen wants to give the NYPD "more time." Telephones keep ringing. Jodie Foster mentions the newspaper "The New York Times." I'm listening to something from the thread joachimt started and bumped very recently. That music thread involves money and collections. :)

Overall this is the first film I've seen directed by Spike Lee. It had some humour. Some commentary. It's an American movie. It's a shame I couldn't see it on a bigger screen to get another sort of experience. Hope to see another film of his sometime this year.

7/10
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 8th, 2021, 8:36 am, edited 21 times in total.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Sorry to hear about your mental health problems. I'm on rexulti and lamictal now. I noticed that anti psychotic meds are a lot more stable than mood stabilizers/anti depressants at least, so it shouldn't be too stressful for you. Watching even clips or randomly browsing in the psych ward helps a lot. I really had to keep busy when in the psych ward.
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

Pretentious Hipster wrote: May 6th, 2021, 3:09 pm Sorry to hear about your mental health problems. I'm on rexulti and lamictal now. I noticed that anti psychotic meds are a lot more stable than mood stabilizers/anti depressants at least, so it shouldn't be too stressful for you. Watching even clips or randomly browsing in the psych ward helps a lot. I really had to keep busy when in the psych ward.
Thanks. Hope the meds & keeping busy are helping you too (you have an actually paying job now though, n'est ce pas?). I've always been jealous of your tattoos, by the way, and since you're from a multilingual country too, I hope you win that work-related stuff you've written about elsewhere on the forum.

I also know for a fact this is your youtube channel. You'll be pleased to know I have watched Star Wars Droid Works in its entirety and given it a like when it was released this year. I mentioned that fact (of me having seen your video in February) to the forum user Perception de Ambiguity with whom I have also made (a lot of) conversation on Discord over the last few years.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 6th, 2021, 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster »

Thank you so much! But, I think the Terror Trax one is my best so far. I'm making one now that will take a while but it'll be feature-length :o
Onderhond

Post by Onderhond »

Nice watchlist. Gretel & Hansel, Possessor and Hana & Alice are all personal favorites. Mandibules is lying here, waiting to be watched :D
kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech »

Zyprexa gave me diabetes, so I switched to Latuda. It works perfectly at controlling my psychiatric symptoms. It does nothing for my depression, but at least I'm in control of my own brain.

Thanks for the mention in your opening paragraph! :cheers:
🏳️‍⚧️
Quartoxuma wrote: A deeply human, life-affirming disgusting check whore.
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

Thanks for replying! I'm continuing my review of 'Inside Man' by Spike (Lee, not Jonze) while more things happened in a psychiatric hospital near Zaventem airport. Closer to Zaventem than to Atomium or the centre of Brussels: Bois de la Cambre imho.

"What's the news, Moxie?", greeted Lemony Snicket.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 6th, 2021, 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

花とアリス / Hana to Arisu (2004, Shunji Iwai) (notes over at challenge thread) 6/10
Was considering making screenshots for this post, but I can't be bothered and wouldn't know where to begin. Instead, here's a cryptic quote from 1:31:03/2:15:06: We'd always end up eating seaweed pudding, before an important card from the standard 52 cards set is mentioned. Really like the 三木聡/Satoshi Miki & 園子温/Sion Sono screenshots, by the way, PdA.

v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

Here's a fragment from 'After the Race' by James Joyce:

"The cars came scudding in (...) played game after game, flinging themselves boldly into adventure. They drank the health of the Queen of Hearts and of the Queen of Diamonds."

v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v

Monty Python's Flying Circus: Déjà Vu (1970) 8/10
Top tier episode. The dire diaries haven't had enough daring diary. The mind's eye sees a glitching black cat. Again. & again.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 11th, 2021, 11:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

I had a power nap this afternoon of around one hour. I've also seen Monty Python's Flying Circus: The Buzz Aldrin Show, also from series 2 of Monty Python's Flying Circus. I'm still planning to watch Monty Python's Flying Circus: Live from the Grill-O-Mat today, but before I hit the space bar to start watching the episode on Netflix, I would like to share some factoids about my laptop's keyboard and more.
Spoiler
Despite me having equipped qwerty and utilising qwerty "by heart", I'm typing on an azerty keyboard. In my case, this means that {1,&}, {2,é}, {3,"}, {4,'}, {5,(}, {6,§}, {7,è}, {8,!}, {9,ç}, and {10,à} are grouped together, that is, those symbols appear on the same key, and I can see that with my eyes. In the qwerty system, however, the corresponding groupings are {1,!}, {2,@}, {3,#}, {4,$}, {5,%}, {6,^}, {7,&}, {8,*}, {9,(}, and {10,)}. Moreover, 1933+88=2021, 442-189=253, and 17 times 2 is 34, which is basic arithmetic in the decimal system. On wikipedia one can read and copy the information that "Helly Hansen (HH) is a Norwegian manufacturer and retailer of clothing and sports equipment and a subsidiary of the Canadian retail chain Canadian Tire".

There's a joke about 6 being afraid of 7 in the English language, because 789, a joke we explain by the phonetic equivalence of "eight" and "ate". In Polish, 8 should be read as "osiem". So the pattern 789 would read "siedem osiem dziewięć", or, as a number, "siedemset osiedziesiąt dziewięć". The year of the French Revolution would in Polish be read and written as "rok tysiąc siedemset osiemdziesiąty dziewiąty".

The letter "V" (read "vee") does not appear in the Polish alphabet. In Polish the letter "V" is approximately read as "fał", which is my (onomatopoeic?) rendering of the Polish pronunciation.

Here are excerpts of my hand-written notes from March this year, inspired by reading Book 11 ("The Kingdom of the Dead") of a hardcover copy of Homer's' The Odyssey (translated by Robert Fagles) at that time:
ideas of "immortalisation" through stories/signing (+ claytables, scrolls, ....), a reverie-like communication with "shades" (memories, clusters of impressions with once-bodily/physical active beings) / "ghosts", i.e. (mental & collective) impressions/evocations of "the dead", echoes, .... ++ brief (semi wish-fulfilment & audience-teasing) Greek mythology repetitions, a/w [anyway] B.11, certainly an interesting departure structurally & rhetorically, + on a personal level for Odysseus, definitely poignant ....
Am I narcissistic for wanting to "post a reply"? For not being satisfied enough with just posting my gibberish on textedit files, wordpress, or IMDb list descriptions, or of just being content with privately scrivening in my own commonplaces, notebooks, or madman's diaries? Am I so desperate for attention that I need to have something out in public? For hijacking part of your time while you're reading this? Or perhaps I'm ashamedly trying to find some nook of understanding in you guys, for my current Zyprexa and nicotine riddled brain.

Sometime in the last three weeks I was crying rewatching (only the first third of) Drive on a DVD at my parents' house. It's true, and I don't know why. I like how Ryan Gosling had a toothpick in his mouth so it sort of looked like he was combating a cigarette addiction or something. To jump to an entire different film though, Promising Young Woman is definitely currently in my top three 2020 films, a film I've seen in 2021, a decade after Drive was released.
We obviously all know Stanley Kubrick preferred that people call the first part of the title of his 2OO1: A Space Odyssey "two thousand and one". I have heard such a pronunciation many times in the first part of Talking Images' podcast about Space Exploration themed films.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 11th, 2021, 3:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

The Odyssey Book Seventeen "Stranger at the Gates" (translated by Robert Fagles)

17.360 the instant he saw Odysseus, twenty years away.
17.514 silent, his mind churning with thoughts of blood work.
17.535 "And the gods do take on the look of strangers / dropping in from abroad --"
17.536 "Disguised in every way / as they roam and haunt our cities, watching over us --"

two films directed by guys with first name "Guy"

five screenshots from the first four minutes of Goldfinger:

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

Either the 364th or 366th post (or something in between) at the Japan Challenge (my *3rd* post there overall), where I explore some of the issues concerning what's usually dubbed as 'anime', alongside my viewings of the month so far, hopefully to be expanded to include at least:

->finishing 'Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann', directed by the director of 'Dead Leaves' (it's obvious from the animation style and voice samples)
->continuing & finishing 'Steins;Gate' after my numerous attempts of getting lost within the first 4 episodes in the past 4 years
->continuing 'One Piece' without having the compulsion to jot things down with a pen in my commonplace about information heard/seen in that series*

*it's mostly stuff like (and I have proven this with screenshots/pictures to friends through Facebook's Messenger application):

Luffy: "A map? Are you a navigator?"
Nami: "++ Thief/Bandit of pirates."
Zoro: "I'm not a pirate hunter anymore."
Captain (Clown/Joker-like) Buggy -> Bara Bara Devil's Fruit: he's a splitting man

:$

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

The connective link to my sole western viewing of the month, on the official forum western challenge of the month, with my two posts there. And guest viewings.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

Sorry for not yet participating in Podcast: You Are Listening To Talking Images, I kinda had other stuff going on today. Post-hoc written justification:

You can also access the link above by clicking on the link below titled "wordpress" in my signature below.

Happy Sixth of June everyone. I love this forum's emojis. :)

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

I love this forum so much I'm going to make this post here, hopefully, also edit one post with my watchlist for 2020 stuff, make one more post on the Monthly Thread for the month May, neatly replying to everyone, and finally make one more post in the weekly thread. Then I plan on checking back Discord and hopefully join my favourite film by Francis Ford Coppola, which is -- of course -- 'The Conversation' (1974). I also hope to restart my masters in mathematics in September, but the conditions are 1) getting fired from the psych ward, and 2) peacefully study throughout the summer in Poland for the necessary and sufficient prerequisites.

This makes me think of the year before Y2K, i.e. 1999, for some reason.

As if the defining two masterpieces by Paul Thomas Anderson and David Fincher, are, respectively, Magnolia and Fight Club.

St. Gloede

Post by St. Gloede »

That sounds like some great and firm goals, Carmel. Best of luck!
Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 »

St. Gloede wrote: June 7th, 2021, 9:48 am That sounds like some great and firm goals, Carmel. Best of luck!
Thank you!