Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

A Movie Is A Series of Images

themagician

A Movie Is A Series of Images

Post by themagician » March 4th, 2017, 2:04 pm

I'll be working on our top 250 highest rated eastern asia films right here: http://themagician.host56.com/highestra ... large.html. And documenting how I like the films. But watching other stuff too. As the title suggests mostly screenshots.

Ah-ga-ssi AKA The Handmaiden (2016) by Chan-wook Park | iCM | IMDb

My emotions ranged from intrigue, to anger, to confusion, to satisfaction. Really liked this one.

Ji-geum-eun-mat-go-geu-ddae-neun-teul-li-da AKA Right Now, Wrong Then (2015) by Sang-soo Hong | iCM | IMDb

Hong's films are always about human relationships and they're all quite similar. This monologue stayed with me:
- What is it that defines film for you? If you can answer in short, it would be greatly appreciated.
- In short?
- Yes.
- I started without knowing anything. By doing so, I started to discover other types of things... A lot of sounds are running through my head right now, And if I utter those sounds, they become words. But... At the end of the day, words will remain just words. The films, myself, my experiences, your lives... All of these things have nothing to do with words! The power of words? What a joke. Why do people keep searching for those words as if they were something special? For me... There's no such thing as important words. On the contrary! They're just a hindrance.

Yin shi nan nu AKA Eat Drink Man Woman (1994) by Ang Lee | iCM | IMDb

This film is so 90s with all that "hi-tech". Three adult women still living at home. Life happens. Food happens. Make sure to eat before this one.

Wo de fu qin mu qin AKA The Road Home (1999) by Yimou Zhang | iCM | IMDb

Ehh... Didn't like it. I just had no interest in this teenage love story.

Gongdong gyeongbi guyeok JSA AKA J.S.A.: Joint Security Area (2000) by Chan-wook Park | iCM | IMDb

John Lennon imagined a world of peace and love, perhaps Park is one of his dreamers.

Fong juk AKA Exiled (2006) by Johnnie To | iCM | IMDb

Definitely easy to recommend action flick. First To I've seen, will be seeing more.

Shorts:

Éruption volcanique à la Martinique AKA The Terrible Eruption of Mount Pelee and Destruction of St. Pierre, Martinique (1902) by Georges Méliès
Balle traversant une bulle de savon AKA Bullet Piercing a Soap Bubble (1904) by Lucien Bull
Départ de Jérusalem en chemin de fer AKA Leaving Jerusalem by Railway (1897) by Alexandre Promio
Le village de Namo - Panorama pris d'une chaise à porteurs (1900) by Gabriel Veyre
Me at the Zoo (2005) by Jawed Karim
37/78: Tree Again (1978) by Kurt Kren
Capitalism: Slavery (2007) by Ken Jacobs
The '?' Motorist (1906) by Walter R. Booth
15/67: TV (1967) by Kurt Kren
Rainbow Dance (1936) by Len Lye
Appunti su un fatto di cronaca (1953) by Luchino Visconti
Dresden Dynamo (1971) by Lis Rhodes
Stadt in Flammen (1984) by Schmelzdahin
Trade Tattoo (1937) by Len Lye
Beep, Beep (1952) by Chuck Jones

themagician

Post by themagician » March 6th, 2017, 12:01 pm

Dong fu ren (1968) by Shu Shuen Tong | iCM | IMDb

First of all, this was edited by Les Blank the American documentary maker? :satstunned: And sound by Del Harris who worked on The Apartment and The Manchurian Candidate? And the rest of the crew is non-English? Curious.

As for the film, wasn't too impressed. Soundtrack was awful, acting felt amateurish, and the dialogue was almost painfully dull. The poor video quality certainly affected my opinion as the subtitles were very difficult to read, sometimes impossible.

It seems to be the first Chinese art film so it may have some merit but it's not a favorite for me.

Do ma daan AKA Peking Opera Blues (1986) by Hark Tsui | iCM | IMDb

Absolutely brilliant and very funny. A mix of action and visual comedy the film is on the move non-stop which just captivates the viewer. Not to mention the cinematography is top notch. My favorite so far.

Tian guo ni zi (1994) by Ho Yim | iCM | IMDb

This is the first film on the list with only 5 voters, rated 7.6 @ #13. It's #424 on our top 1000 list.

I'm intrigued by these 5 vote films and while films like these can be a bit of a gamble this was actually a pretty good film. Conscience vs. love. When you know you need to do something no matter how hard it is. But still somehow the ending is a little unsatisfactory. I'd say it's worth a watch.

Qian xi man po AKA Millennium Mambo (2001) by Hsiao-hsien Hou | iCM | IMDb

Music, drugs, dancing, neon lights, youth. No intricate plots and heavy dialogue, just atmosphere and vibrant cinematography. Recommended.

Biandan, guniang AKA So Close To Paradise AKA Ruan's Song (1998) by Xiaoshuai Wang | iCM | IMDb

Another 5 vote film, ranked at the very bottom of the list, for some strange reason I had the DVD on my HDD.

It almost comes across as a student film yet at the same time the cinematography is excellent. Unfortunately the film has its good bits and bad bits. The sensual nightclub scenes are far above everything else, a missed opportunity as they don't last very long. The scenes with the farmers-seeking-better-life-in-city were uninteresting to me.

SHORTS

Rabbit's Moon (1950) by Kenneth Anger | iCM | IMDb

A short worth mentioning. Anger just has the best music doesn't he? The short itself was a little strange, blue-tinted, curious piece.

The Ducksters (1950) by Charles M. Jones | iCM | IMDb

themagician

Post by themagician » March 7th, 2017, 1:21 pm

Bao gio cho den tháng Muoi AKA When the Tenth Month Comes (1984) by Dang Nhat Minh | iCM | IMDb

Beautifully shot. Definitely worth a watch.

Qiu Ju da guan si AKA The Story of Qiu Ju (1992) by Yimou Zhang | iCM | IMDb

A naive woman (Li Gong) seeking trivial justice over a trivial fight (between his her man and chief of the village) over trivial matters as she climbs the hierarchy of law due to dissatisfaction over their decision. All she wants is for the perpetrator to admit he's wrong rather than just paying their medical bills which he's happy to do. He puts it well: "take you case to gods in heaven and you'll get the same result."

My problem is that there's nothing to connect with emotionally. First of all there's even no emotion in the film. I can't recall even any music in it. It feels dull. Just a woman walking around. And we just get frustrated with her futile attempts and simply wish she'd just get over it. Not a favorite.
Last edited by themagician on March 7th, 2017, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 10th, 2017, 12:08 pm

Dong dong de jia qi AKA A Summer at Grandpa's (1984) by Hsiao-hsien Hou | iCM | IMDb

This feels so genuine it may well have been written by a child. That's a compliment. It could almost be a documentary about kids spending the summer at their grandpas. I feel like this could work a lot better if watched during summer. I did like it quite a bit.

Hyuil (1968) by Man-hui Lee | iCM | IMDb

There's some stunning cinematography in this film. One of the best I've seen in Korean films. You can see some of the beauty here. Based on that alone I'd say it's a favorite.

Zhao xiansheng AKA Mr. Zhao (1998) by Yue Lü | iCM | IMDb

Another 5 vote film on the list. This film should appeal to anyone who likes what I'll call pure cinema. The focus is on the characters, not what the camera does. The scenes are quite long and you really get to feel the characters. The film itself deals with an affair.

Busanhaeng AKA Train to Busan (2016) by Sang-ho Yeon | iCM | IMDb

So. Much. Fun. A zombie film taking place inside a train. I don't think I've seen similar zombies before and I don't want to spoil them too much but these are vicious and quick which makes the film high adrenaline experience. The characters are very stereotypical but the film still manages to evoke emotion. I have to applaud what it does with those characters. At the end you just have to go "did they really do all that?" Recommended.

Malu tianshi AKA Street Angel (1937) by Muzhi Yuan | iCM | IMDb

It has its moments. Sometimes the editing is pretty awful causing laughter more than anything else. I wonder if this is more important than it's good.

Ying hung boon sik AKA A Better Tomorrow (1986) by John Woo | iCM | IMDb

You could call it "bullets with a chance of blood." To be honest, my mind was wandering quite a bit while watching this. But I can say I liked The Killer (1989) more but this is still a decent watch.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 10th, 2017, 11:22 pm

From now on I'll put the rank on the list before the title. Films without a rank aren't on the list.

#75 - Chugyeogja AKA The Chaser (2008) by Hong-jin Na | iCM | IMDb

Well that was an exciting thriller. A pimp keeps losing his girls. There's a maniac out there who's connected. Their paths cross. The police are involved. It's based on a real story and has a really raw and gritty feel to it and it captivates the viewer. Good stuff!

Matatabi AKA The Wanderers (1973) by Kon Ichikawa | iCM | IMDb

I need to get through a long list of Japanese films I have on my HDD and watchlist. Didn't think too much of this one unfortunately, just couldn't get into it. It has a really dark cinematography like the characters are dwelling in places where the Sun doesn't shine. There's a lengthy review of the film here which I'll read later: http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/f-matatabi.html

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » March 12th, 2017, 12:10 am

Is there an ICM or IMDB version of this list please?

themagician

Post by themagician » March 12th, 2017, 12:46 am

clemmetarey on Mar 11 2017, 05:10:20 PM wrote:Is there an ICM or IMDB version of this list please?
Here it is on IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064746095/

monty

Post by monty » March 12th, 2017, 12:58 am

themagician on Mar 10 2017, 04:22:40 PM wrote:Matatabi AKA The Wanderers (1973) by Kon Ichikawa | iCM | IMDb

I need to get through a long list of Japanese films I have on my HDD and watchlist. Didn't think too much of this one unfortunately, just couldn't get into it. It has a really dark cinematography like the characters are dwelling in places where the Sun doesn't shine. There's a lengthy review of the film here which I'll read later: http://www.weirdwildrealm.com/f-matatabi.html
An instant favorite with me - this is a great film that should be high up on the watchlist of any connoisseur of Japanese cinema. Be advised that the above article - though quite insightful - contains massive plot spoilers. I've made an iCM comment detailing the pertinent historical info needed before watching this film.
Last edited by monty on March 12th, 2017, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » March 12th, 2017, 1:02 am

themagician on Mar 11 2017, 05:46:53 PM wrote:
clemmetarey on Mar 11 2017, 05:10:20 PM wrote:Is there an ICM or IMDB version of this list please?
Here it is on IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls064746095/

Eve-Lang-El-Coup

Post by Eve-Lang-El-Coup » March 13th, 2017, 12:42 pm

monty on Mar 11 2017, 05:58:37 PM wrote:
themagician on Mar 10 2017, 04:22:40 PM wrote:Matatabi AKA The Wanderers (1973) by Kon Ichikawa | iCM | IMDb

An instant favorite with me - this is a great film that should be high up on the watchlist of any connoisseur of Japanese cinema. Be advised that the above article - though quite insightful - contains massive plot spoilers. I've made an iCM comment detailing the pertinent historical info needed before watching this film.
The Wanderers is a good movie but it seemed to lose steam (or perhaps I just didn't get the jokes any more) in the latter quarter what with its darker tone accompanying the still brewing wacky.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 13th, 2017, 1:13 pm

#11 - Huo zhe AKA To Live (1994) by Yimou Zhang | iCM | IMDb

Another film where Li Gong refuses to accept money. It is the devastating story of a gambler who keeps running into misery. It takes place during the years of Mao. This was of special interest to me as I'm currently reading a book about Mao's writings which coincide with the events of the film.

#120 - Oasiseu AKA Oasis (2002) by Chang-dong Lee | iCM | IMDb

Watching this film felt like running in a dream but you can only run in slow-motion. It's the story of a 28-year-old man - who seems to have a slight mental retardation as he's incapable of becoming an adult and taking responsibility and keeps on ending up in trouble - who falls for a girl with cerebral palsy. And it all leads to one dramatic ending. And I must disgaree with the comment on iCM that says it's "contrived." It felt very realistic to me and completely reasonable.

Omokage AKA A Visage to Remember (1948) by Heinosuke Gosho | iCM | IMDb

It's always difficult for me to rate these pre-50s Japanese films because often they're not really good but they aren't bad either so I usually end up giving them a 7 because that to me is pretty neutral. The first half of this film is filled with joviality and happiness until around mid-way it turns slightly darker after an ominous storm and then we get some drama as a confession is made.

Nakayama shichiri AKA Seven Miles From Nakayama (1962) by Kazuo Ikehiro | iCM | IMDb

My mind is drawing blank but I do remember liking it. It's got some sword fights too.

Kuroi gashû: Aru sarariman no shôgen AKA The Black Book (1960) by Hiromichi Horikawa | iCM | IMDb

A salaryman's neighbor is implicated in a murder. He could absolve him but he must uphold a lie. The pressure keeps building on him when another event forces him to tell the truth, but is it already too late for him?

Interestingly the actor who plays the salaryman in this film is the same actor who played the salaryman in Okamoto's The Elegant Life of Mr. Everyman (1963). Great films both.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 15th, 2017, 12:12 pm

Hiroshima (1953) by Hideo Sekigawa | iCM | IMDb

Oh the horror and the inhumanity. The production value in this film is stunning. It depicts the atomic bombing of Hiroshima. Incredible.

Ogin sama AKA Love Under the Crucifix (1962) by Kinuyo Tanaka | iCM | IMDb

Surprisingly this is my first Tanaka (edit: Apparently it's my second Tanaka) and it's a delight. It takes place in 1587 in the Tensho era and touches on marriage, loyalty, affection, and Christianity and the subsequent banning of it. The cast is filled with stars and the film is gorgeously directed.

#199 - Nabbeun namja AKA Bad Guy (2001) by Ki-duk Kim | iCM | IMDb

Kim is a modern master of cinema. He can shock audiences and evoke strong emotions with storylines that don't just rely on gore and disgust. You actually feel sympathy for the characters and the plots always feel original.

In this film a girl is forced into prostitution by a man who wishes to destroy her. Eventually hate seems to turn to love.

Akai hatoba (1958) by Toshio Masuda | iCM | IMDb

A film that belongs in the genre of the "wild youth" about rebellious young characters who live according to their own ideals. They started making them around mid-50s and I see them as paving the way for gangster films as they share many similarities from jazz to guns to fast paced direction and increased sexual freedom.

Ken (1964) by Kenji Misumi | iCM | IMDb

Ken is a samurai-spirited story of a kendo club filled with young idealists. The drama emerges from the relationship between the two seniors, Kokubu and Kagawa. And a woman.

Highly recommended.

#141 - Lian lian feng chen AKA Dust in the Wind (1986) by Hsiao-hsien Hou | iCM | IMDb

Must be seen in HD. The cinematography and the atmosphere oozes serenity that's almost spiritual. It tells of a relationship between two youths.
Last edited by themagician on March 15th, 2017, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 17th, 2017, 11:09 am

Koibumi AKA Love Letter (1953) by Kinuyo Tanaka | iCM | IMDb

This felt like a very typical film of that era. A man writes love letters for people after the war. Then he reconnects with his former girlfriend... The direction is very good here. But it didn't feel special to me as I watched it.

Bakumatsu zankoku monogatari AKA Brutal Story at End of the Tokugawa Shogunate (1964) by Tai Katô | iCM | IMDb

It is the story of a young man (right in the screenshot) who desperately wishes to join the shinsengumi though he can't handle a sword nor the sight of blood for which he gets mocked. The selection process for new members is a rigorous wooden-sword fight against masters but he gets selected just for his passion. A dichotomy develops between loyalty to the shinsengumi and personal affairs. And he has a secret...

It's a very interesting samurai film with some comedic elements. I rated it quite high, an 8. Go watch it!

Nichiro sensô shôri no hishi: Tekichû ôdan sanbyaku-ri AKA Advance Patrol (1957) by Kazuo Mori | iCM | IMDb

At the end of the Russo-Japanese War a group of six soldiers are sent on a spy mission on horseback to find out where Russia is making their next move.

If you like films where a group of people go on an adventure you'll probably like this. The snow-laden scenery gives great atmosphere to the excellent cinematography.

Tenpô rokkasen - Jigoku no hanamichi (1960) by Masahiro Makino | iCM | IMDb

"Samurai Kochiyama Soshun helps Kaneko Ichinosuke avenge the death of Kaneko’s father who was wrongly accused of embezzling."

Starts out great but then started slowly losing interest as it seemed lose its humor. But a worthwhile watch nonetheless.

#191 - Dung che sai duk AKA Ashes of Time Redux (1994) by Kar Wai Wong | iCM | IMDb

"A broken-hearted hit man moves to the desert where he finds skilled swordsmen to carry out his contract killings."

Yes, fantastic cinematography here. Wasn't too taken in by the story.
Last edited by themagician on March 17th, 2017, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 17th, 2017, 11:25 pm

Mikkai AKA The Assignation (1959) by Kô Nakahira | iCM | IMDb

This is a pretty cool film for 50s Japan. The ending is extremely shocking especially for its time. But so is the film overall as two people having an affair witness a murder. Of course they can't tell about it... This creates great suspense as we get to guess what might happen.

#41 - Yi ge dou bu neng shao AKA Not One Less (1999) by Yimou Zhang | iCM | IMDb

An indifferent young girl (above) substitutes a teacher in a very poor village. As the students begin to drop she changes her attitude. Eventually the students help her find one of the missing students.

It's not a bad film, the first half is clearly better. There's just something about that ending I didn't quite like.

Otokonokao wa rirekisho AKA A Man's Face Shows His Personal History (1966) by Tai Katô | iCM | IMDb

Brilliant. After the war a group of Koreans are causing trouble in Japan. It's a proper gangster film, fast cuts, lots of action, fights, etc. If you like yakuza films this is a worthy watch.

monty

Post by monty » March 17th, 2017, 11:30 pm

Isn't that Tai Kato film better known as "By a Man's Face Shall You Know Him"?

themagician

Post by themagician » March 19th, 2017, 11:11 am

monty on Mar 17 2017, 05:30:12 PM wrote:Isn't that Tai Kato film better known as "By a Man's Face Shall You Know Him"?
It seems to have many titles but when searching the original title "A Man's Face Shows His Personal History" seems to come up more.

Hana no Byakkotai (1954) by Katsuhiko Tasaka | iCM | IMDb

It is the first year of the Meiji era in 1868. The restoration/revolution is under way led by the Loyalist Army. But the Aizu region is resisting change. Thus a war is necessary. The Loyalists find a weak point in their defense and attack. In its last desperate move Aizu sends their young Byakkotai samurai into war. It is an absolute suicide mission. The film is told from the perspective of a family that's dealing with loss. Their son is also dealing with love and marriage.

Unfortunately I couldn't get excited about this film. It felt weak and uninspiring.

#158 - Soom AKA Breath (2007) by Ki-duk Kim | iCM | IMDb

A quiet woman lives a dysfunctional life with a cheating husband. She falls for a murderer on death row and starts visiting him. The visits she makes seem absurd. The gray room is fully decorated with colorful wallpaper and she sings him upbeat songs. Eventually the inmate falls for her as well.

What a breath of fresh air after the previous film. Another great film by Kim. What's fascinating is watching as the relationship develops just because it's so absurd. I can only recommend this.
Last edited by themagician on March 19th, 2017, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 19th, 2017, 11:12 pm

Josei no shôri AKA The Victory of Women (1946) by Kenji Mizoguchi | iCM | IMDb

In this film, written by Kaneto Shindo and Ozu's writer Kogo Noda, Mizoguchi portrays a progressive female lawyer (Kinuyo Tanaka) who defends a young woman for suffocating her child after her husband died following an industrial accident. The prosecutor, who believes in absolute law and opposes liberals and democrats, also shares history with the lawyer.

It's a pretty good film actually that's worth a watch despite the poor quality. Can't go wrong with that writer + director combo.

#175 - Yan zhi kou AKA Rouge (1987) by Stanley Kwan | iCM | IMDb

AVOID IMDB DESCRIPTION

This is probably my favorite romantic film right now. Without spoiling what makes this film so special, even though it appears early in the film but it was so fun to discover blindly, I'll just say it's about a woman who performed in a 1930s "flower house" and is now looking for her lost love.

It's been a pretty damn good month for me so far. This Eastern Asia list has been excellent.

monty

Post by monty » March 20th, 2017, 12:14 am

Props to you for this log, magician. It's interesting to hear your take on these films, esp. those single-digit checks. Btw, how many have you left on the top 250 East Asian list?

themagician

Post by themagician » March 20th, 2017, 12:43 am

monty on Mar 19 2017, 06:14:25 PM wrote:Props to you for this log, magician. It's interesting to hear your take on these films, esp. those single-digit checks. Btw, how many have you left on the top 250 East Asian list?
I've seen 97/251. There's a lot of martial arts that I'm currently avoiding but the rest looks interesting. I've neglected Chinese films for a long time so I'm discovering a lot of them now.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 22nd, 2017, 10:14 am

edit: oops, forgot to add the ranks

Yuwaku (1948) by Kôzaburô Yoshimura | iCM | IMDb

In which Setsuko Hara chugs beer. Having lost her father she ends up sharing a room with one of his students and working as a nanny for him. And then drama begins to unfold because relationships. Worth to note that this is written by Kaneto Shindo. I liked it for the acting and Setsuko Hara just because it's been a while since I saw one of her films.

#52 - Kong bu fen zi AKA The Terrorizers (1986) by Edward Yang | iCM | IMDb

I found this movie confusing trying to follow all the characters in their own timelines but I liked the atmosphere and the slowness of it.

Jokyo AKA A Woman's Testament (1960) by Kon Ichikawa | iCM | IMDb

A movie told in three stories about three women. Directed by Ichikawa, Masumura, and Kôzaburô Yoshimura (A Ball at the Anjo House). The last of the stories is the weakest. The first story is only carried by Ayako Wakao, playing a young woman ("the girl who nibbles on ears") who makes money off of rich businessmen by dating them. The second story however is almost eerily mysterious and strange in that Japanese horror way where emotions are suppressed, the mood is very serious, the lines are delivered monotonously, and it feels like something's up. Overall a worthy watch.

#237 - Kim Bok-nam salinsageonui jeonmal AKA Bedevilled (2010) by Cheol-soo Jang | iCM | IMDb

The movie follows mostly a common horror formula about a woman who travels to a small island to escape the city life stress. But what she doesn't know is that that island may be her worst nightmare. Something strange is going on but the elderly assure her nothing's going on. While it is a horror movie it's only horror to the characters. It's not scary in that way. The movie both frustrates and exhilarates if revenge movies are your thing. The cinematography is quite pleasant to watch.
Last edited by themagician on March 22nd, 2017, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themagician

Post by themagician » March 23rd, 2017, 11:01 am

Daisan no kagemusha AKA The Third Shadow (1963) by Umetsugu Inoue | iCM | IMDb

It's the story of a peasant who becomes a body double for the Lord who are known as the "shadows". The film explores how much one is willing to sacrifice for power and money. It has a good script, acting, cinematography. With only 20 checks it's a hidden gem.

themagician

Post by themagician » April 9th, 2017, 11:08 am

Let's try to get back into movies. They've been drilling holes deep into the ground for the past few weeks. It sounds like your upstairs neighbor drilling into the concrete wall. Very noisy and annoying.

#87 - Man jeuk AKA Sparrow (2008) by Johnnie To | iCM | IMDb

It's been a few weeks since I saw this. I do remember liking it a lot. Still a lot of Johnnie To left on the list to watch.

Il était une fois...: Le Havre (2014) by Alan Smithee | iCM | IMDb

A documentary on Kaurismäki's Le Havre consisting mostly of interviews with the cast & crew, aired on local TV. 8/10.

Aizen katsura AKA The Tree of Love (1938) by Hiromasa Nomura | iCM | IMDb

This is a really good 30s Japanese film featuring Kinuyo Tanaka. The cinematography is especially good.

Abashiri Bangaichi AKA Abashiri Prison (1965) by Teruo Ishii | iCM | IMDb

A prison break movie featuring Ken Takakura. I'll be working a bit on the latest KG MOM: 9 overlooked Japanese directors.

themagician

Post by themagician » April 9th, 2017, 9:35 pm

Zoku Abashiri bangaichi (1965) by Teruo Ishii | iCM | IMDb

In the second part of the Abashiri Prison trilogy Shinichi Tsukibana (Ken Takakura), who's now free, comes to meet a pickpocket (above), a group of strippers, and a nun on a boat who all get involved in a jewelry heist one way or another. This one's in color unlike the first part.

Abashiri bangaichi: Bôkyô hen AKA Abashiri Prison 3 (1965) by Teruo Ishii | iCM | IMDb

In the last part Shinichi Tsukibana (Ken Takakura) returns home where two gangs, the Asahi gang (Takakura's gang) and the Yasui gang clash.

Really liked this trilogy. All parts are quite decent. Nothing amazing but probably worth a watch.

themagician

Post by themagician » April 11th, 2017, 11:44 am

Akai hankachi AKA Red Handkerchief (1964) by Toshio Masuda | iCM | IMDb

This was a very cool movie, in the usual Masuda style. And excellent cinematography as well. The film also made Masuda and Yûjirô Ishihara (left) big names in Japanese cinema according to several reviews. Joe Shishido also calls it "the best Nikkatsu Action film."

A cop ends up shooting a suspect in a big case. He then flees to the countryside only to return to uncover the truth about the shady circumstances of the shooting. There's also a woman...

themagician

Post by themagician » April 12th, 2017, 10:34 am

Meiji kyokyakuden - sandaime shumei AKA Blood of Revenge (1965) by Tai Katô | iCM | IMDb

It feels like a pretty typical yakuza movie that lacks in the violence department one would expect e.g. in Battles Without Honor and Humanity films which doesn't make it appealing to the mainstream. The cast is its strongest point though by no means are the other aspects weak. Curiously it was written by Noribumi Suzuki who's known for his pinku films.
Osaka, 1907: Asajiro (Tsuruta) lives between a rock and a hard place: he has to keep his business clean and running, tame his late oyabun's hot-blooded son and suffer the throes of his impossible love for beautiful geisha Hatsue (Junko Fuji). Life is tough, but misdeeds will not remain unavenged and trickling blood will swell to a flood, of course. - Japan Society

themagician

Post by themagician » April 15th, 2017, 9:47 pm

Meoto zenzai AKA Marital Relations (1955) by Shirô Toyoda | iCM | IMDb

Without a doubt a small masterpiece from the 50s. It is about the tribulations of a man and a geisha with whom he has an affair.

Botan-dôrô AKA The Bride from Hades (1968) by Satsuo Yamamoto | iCM | IMDb

I really liked this ghost story. It has an eerie atmosphere throughout and the score is excellent. It's also beautifully shot. The film itself deals with human greed.
Last edited by themagician on April 15th, 2017, 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.