Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)

A German conquers the world (Melvelet)

Melvelet

A German conquers the world (Melvelet)

Post by Melvelet » September 28th, 2014, 10:55 am

My idea is to have mini challenges for our beloved Conquer the World challenge. Instead of watching films from as many countries as possible I want to 'visit' them. That means I'll watch at least 3 movies (within 2 weeks or so) from a certain country and then decide whether I'll extend my stay or move on to another country. In some cases I might take a specific timeframe/era from a countries cinema (for big countries) or visit a region instead (very small countries). Re-visits are also planned. My plan is to write a bit about each film. My priorities (for now) are South East Asia and Latin America.

Feel free to comment and/or give me recommendations for the countries I'm going to visit soon.

Index:

Thailand - 19.09.2014 - 29.09.2014
Peru - 04.10.2014 - 20.10.2014
Russia - 27.11.2014 - 10.12.2014
China - 10.12.2014 - 19.12.2014
Latin America - 21.05.2015 - open end

Upcoming:
Greece
Portugal
Hungary
Last edited by Melvelet on June 12th, 2015, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current recommendation: Mutter Küsters' Fahrt zum Himmel (1975)

ImageImage

Current focus: Germany, Spain

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » September 28th, 2014, 11:15 am

Thailand

I'm almost done here (for now)

1. Sud sanaeha 2002 - a. k. a. Blissfully Yours (Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
My third Weerasethakul and the first one I really liked. Don't know exactly why :sweat:
8/10

2. Sang sattawat 2006 — a.k.a. Syndromes and a Century (Apichatpong Weerasethakul)
And this is my usual Weerasethakul experience. I don't think they're completely uninteresting (and they sure are beautiful) but I can't see much point either. I should really read more about his movies but they don't really motivate me to so...
7-/10

3. 36 2012 (Nawapol Thamrongrattanarit)
A calm and rather short (just above 1 hour) feature consisting of 36 static shots, sometimes it's just pictures, often we can't see the present characters and only listen to their talking. They story is a quite gentle one about unspoken attraction, separation and (unfulfilled) longing narrated through such ordinary problems as a broken hard drive or a forgotten mail password. I hope that maybe it's running time will convince someone to give it a try.
7+/10

4. Ruang talok 69 1999 — a.k.a. 6ixtynin9 (Pen-Ek Ratanaruang)
I had hoped for something darker or more artsy (didn't see that comedy tag). It's funny/enjoyable and worth a look though. Still more interesting than Hollywood's standard style.
7/10

5. Ruang rak noi nid mahasan — a.k.a. Last Life of the Universe
What I wrote in the Film World Cup thread:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
My interest is not only about which possible ending is the 'true' one (or rather: does he only imagine the reunion or not).

For me the most important word concerning the movie is 'possibility' (which is opposed to death - the end of everything possible -> possibilities of life)
The film start with one possibility (strangulation: "This might be me in 3 hours") and ends with two (or three if we want to assume that he might have died jumping out of the window) intercut endings. In between there are several "death sequences", sometimes visual, sometimes only implied (strangulation, being shot, jumping into the river, jumping out of the window):
This site lists them if you're interested.
style <-> content?

I'll need to think and read about it more. But here are some unordered thoughts and obervations (maybe someone has ideas about them?):

- order compulsion (which also gets Kenji into trouble - Yakuza hear him flushing the toilet) vs extreme messy home (Noi seems happy about the order that Kenji brings; but the house magically cleans itself (not Kenji))

- both have a sibling that recently died

- empty pool (rejection/unhappiness of wealth or inability to use the possibilities?)

- language barrier (less possibilities of expressing oneself?)

- smoking, missing ashtray

- Noi leaving for Japan (running away or using the possibilities?)

- End credits on the screen at the airport (which would mean the reunion is a mere fantasy)

- Kenji sees Nim instead of Noi (frankly, I didn't notice that :pinch: )
8/10

Will watch some Weerasethakul shorts and the recently subbed Peesua lae dokmai AKA Butterfly and Flowers (1986; will be the first check although Angel had it on his <400 list) before moving on to Peru. Any recommendations for Peru?
Last edited by Melvelet on October 23rd, 2014, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » September 28th, 2014, 11:17 am

For Thailand I think Mah Nakorn (2004) aka Citizen Dog is an interesting film.

If you like martial arts movies Ong-Bak (2003) features some pretty impressive stuff by Tony Jaa.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 28th, 2014, 11:19 am

This is a cool idea, now I want to do it too :P Have only seen 1 movie from Peru and I didn't like it (La muralla verde (1970)), but you might (maybe, I dunno).
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » September 28th, 2014, 11:28 am

Doesn't seem the most economical way to travel, going straight from Thailand to Peru and then Russia. but think of the air miles..

monty

Post by monty » September 28th, 2014, 11:29 am

Melvelet on Sep 28 2014, 05:15:16 AM wrote:Any recommendations for Peru?
La ciudad y los perros - the filmed version of the Vargas Llosa novel remains an absolute must.

Then there's Días de Santiago - a decent character study of an ex-soldier

And finally, I'd like for you to check out another Vargas Llosa novel made film, namely Captain Pantoja and the Special Services (2000)
Last edited by monty on September 28th, 2014, 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » September 28th, 2014, 11:31 am

@jvv: I'm not so much into action cinema but I'm tempted to watch a bit more upon the second visit (some goes for horror movies)
They sure have some colourful films over there (I'll consider Citizen Dog)

@mighty: La muralla verde AKA The Green Wall and La Ciudad y los perros aka City and the Dogs are practically set. La muralla verde seems to be up my alley (1970 and a story about "about an urban couple who gives it all up to go live in the jungles of Peru" - that sounds really good)

ImageImage

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » September 28th, 2014, 11:32 am

monty on Sep 28 2014, 05:29:08 AM wrote:
Melvelet on Sep 28 2014, 05:15:16 AM wrote:Any recommendations for Peru?
La ciudad y los perros - the filmed version of the Vargas Llosa novel remains an absolute must.

Then there's Días de Santiago - a decent character study of an ex-soldier

And finally, I'd like for you to check out another Vargas Llosa novel made film, namely Captain Pantoja and the Special Services (2000)
Ooh, they all sound good (especially the first two), I'm going to watchlist them, myself :D
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

monty

Post by monty » September 28th, 2014, 11:39 am

Then there's always this: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0166287

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » September 28th, 2014, 11:42 am

Thanks for the recs.

@monty: What did you think about Espejismo (1972)?

ImageImage

monty

Post by monty » September 28th, 2014, 11:47 am

I found it long-winded and unengaging - the sort of film that gives arthouse cinema a bad rep.

Angel Glez

Post by Angel Glez » September 28th, 2014, 12:44 pm

Melvelet on Sep 28 2014, 05:15:16 AM wrote:Peesua lae dokmai AKA Butterfly and Flowers (1986; will be the first check although Angel had it on his <400 list) before moving on to Peru. Any recommendations for Peru?
But we have different tastes. :P My favorite Thai films are Butterfly and Flowers and, in the absence of the long-awaited The Scar, the Borzagean Behind the Painting, quite the opposite to the most popular films...

Peru have two masters: Armando Robles Godoy and Francisco J. Lombardi. By Robles Godoy you have the very good No Stars in the Jungle, atypical adventure film, The Green Wall, his most acclaimed and best film, and Mirage, as monty said the most radical and experimental effort. By Lombardi you have the excellent The City and the Dogs, based on Vargas Llosa, and the drama-comedy Fallen from Heaven. Unfortunately two other major works, La boca del lobo and Bajo la piel, have no subtitles.

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » September 28th, 2014, 1:55 pm

Thanks for that lengthy write-up, Angel! Let's see if Butterfly and Flowers has forum mafia or DtC potential :P
So you've seen The Scar?

I think I'll first watch The Green Wall, The City and the Dogs and a more recent film.
Bajo la piel could need a KG upload ;) (The only link I've found turned out to be the Spanish dubbed version of an American mainstream movie...)

ImageImage

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » September 28th, 2014, 2:50 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133904/

An hour long film for Peru, obviously popular among ex-MUBI community. I thought it was ok.

sortile9io

Post by sortile9io » September 28th, 2014, 4:03 pm

brokenface on Sep 28 2014, 05:28:02 AM wrote:Doesn't seem the most economical way to travel, going straight from Thailand to Peru and then Russia. but think of the air miles..
Yeah, that's not the way people conquer the world. Usually they move only to an adjacent country before proceeding to the next one. If I ever join in the "Conquer the world" I might try to do it that way. Not a bad plan in any case.
Last edited by sortile9io on September 28th, 2014, 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » October 23rd, 2014, 5:30 pm

I should really update this more frequently...

I added my WC comment for Last Life in the Universe to the Thailand post (from now on I'll have one post that inlcudes the whole voyage that will be linked in the first post). Didn't watch Peesua lae dokmai yet (problems witht the rip/subs). Next Thailand visit?
I also want to note that Thai pop music sucks.

Updated the schedule - I'm doing Korea now (watched 3 movies from Peru -will post below).

Next month will be a lot of Harvard so I'm not sure if I'll visit a country but it might be Russia. After Russia I decided I'll take a closer look at Greek cinema which got a bit more into focus this year (judging from the 500<400 entries). I have quite a few Greek films in mind but if there's any movie that someone feels I might like a lot (New Wave-y from the 60s?), please tell me :)

ImageImage

monty

Post by monty » October 24th, 2014, 10:15 am

Melvelet on Oct 23 2014, 11:30:09 AM wrote:Updated the schedule - watched 3 movies from Peru -will post below).
So which Peruvian movies did you see then?

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » October 24th, 2014, 8:05 pm

Peru

1. La muralla verde 1970 — a.k.a. The Green Wall
Escapism (and failure thereof) and critique of bureaucracy and political self-reprensentation. Stylistically I was bound to like this although I think it was done quite 'roughly'. A pity that a part of its visuals were lost because of the rip quality.
8-/10

2. La ciudad y los perros 1985 — a.k.a. The City and the Dogs
I found it to be the weakest of the bunch although it got stronger in the end which gave the film an interesting moral aspect.
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
The rigorous instructor has a strong moral code, the gang leader follows his conviction and the protagonist seemingly following a morally correct path ends up betraying his comrade who thinks of him as his only friend and slandering the gang leader while believing he's chosen fighting immorality/lies
7/10

3. Días de Santiago 2004 — a.k.a. Days of Santiago
Now that was a surprise. Maybe I'll nominate it for FotW. I know some would call it pretentious but for me it was great fun with good visuals (I can't see the significance of the changes between BW and Color, yet I enjoyed them). Like La ciudad y los perros the protagonist has a military background and wants to do right. His aggressive nature prevents him from succeeding though.
8/10

Had seen no Peruvian film before. Budgets for both DVD releases and film production seem to be rather low (as expected). Interesting that all my 3 (not so adventurous, I must confess) choices dealt with different forms of failure.
Last edited by Melvelet on October 24th, 2014, 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » October 24th, 2014, 8:22 pm

Melvelet on Oct 23 2014, 11:30:09 AM wrote:I have quite a few Greek films in mind but if there's any movie that someone feels I might like a lot (New Wave-y from the 60s?), please tell me :)
O fovos O fovos O fovos O fovos O fovos O fovos O fovos O fovos

where's the praying smiley? can't find it :)

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » December 17th, 2014, 11:54 am

Was planning a few more Russian movies but I've been overcome by a sudden desire to watch more Asian (mostly Chinese up to now) films :D

Russia

I probably don't need to write much about the well known films.

1. Letyat zhuravli 1957 — a.k.a. The Cranes Are Flying 8+/10
Great melodrama!

2. Stachka 1925 — a.k.a. Strike 7-/10
Eisenstein is probably my least appreciated great director. There's always the foul stench of propaganda...I'm not exactly fond of Russian silent movies (except for Man with a Movie Camera and maybe By the Law) and this one rather fortifies my opinion.

3. Ballada o soldate 1959 — a.k.a. Ballad of a Soldier 7/10
Good enough but no The Cranes Are Flying.

4. Vozvrashchenie 2003 — a.k.a. The Return 8+/10
That's the kind of arthouse film I wish for :) Beautiful, atmospheric, moving.

5. Tikhiye stranitsy 1994 — a.k.a. Whispering Pages 7/10
I can't really say why I can't really appreciate Sokurov. Looking at individual images I think I'd HAVE to like Sokurov but so far I just couldn't. This was more interesting than my previous two Sokurov films (Russian Arc and Mother & Son) but I had a hard time focussing again :(
Last edited by Melvelet on December 17th, 2014, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » December 17th, 2014, 12:34 pm

China
(maybe if I'll stay in this mood a while longer I'll distinguish between Mainland, HK & Taiwan for this log.)

1. Huo zhe 1994 — a.k.a. Lifetimes 8-/10
Not on par wit Red Sorghum or Raise the Red Lantern but very solid filmmaking.

2. Zi hudie 2003 — a.k.a. Purple Butterfly 7/10
Quite beautiful (my screencaps are less than ideal as always^^) including some really great tracking shots! The story is confusing...I liked the 1930s Shanghai setting though.
Screencaps: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/105599352054

3. Dung che sai duk 1994 — a.k.a. Ashes of Time Redux 7/10
Yeah, I prefer urban dramas to Martial Arts. Some great visuals but seen more beautiful Wong films.

4. Anyangde guer 2001 — a.k.a. The Orphan of Anyang 7/10
Typical statical shot, bleak mainland drama. I like them but nothing here stands out.

5. Tian bian yi duo yun 2005 — a.k.a. The Wayward Cloud 8/10
I see why some hate this but I surely don't. Might not be Tsai's best. Yet it's a worthy entry to his filmography (which I loved so far). My friend, a Tsai-firsttimer said he wants to watch more Tsai now :D

6. Niu pi 2005 — a.k.a. Oxhide 7/10
Claustrophobic. But I'm not too impressed overall.

7. Ye che 2007 — a.k.a. Night Train 7/10
After Black Coal, Thin Ice (are there any similar films (Chinese Arthouse crime/detective films, possibly to be described as noir) out there?) I was excited about Diao's previous effort. Not bad but nothing special either.
screencaps: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/105599618984

8. Dong dong de jia qi (1984) - A Summer at Grandpa's 9/10 (l) and Top 10 for my <400 list
The earliest Hou film I've seen up to now. It is faster pace than his later work and probably the most accessible I've seen from him so far, and also one of his best.

From the (not necessarily innocent) perspective of an 11-year old boy. Starts out funny and charming, with a lot of small incidents that reminded me of Ozu films (most notably Ohayo, Early Summer, I was born but...). I expected it to go on like this and would have loved it if it did. Probably that's why it hit me hard when it grows considerably darker. I don't want to use the word coming-of-age (the protagonist is too young) but rather encountering the violent darkness of the adult world. I really shouldn't spoil it. From that point on it's clearly Hou's, already quite refined style. Taiwan is as beautiful as ever and I especially want to stress the great use of obstacles.

caps: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/105599823739
http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/105600040384

9. Shi hun 2013 aka Soul 8-/10
Looking for new interesting directors, Chung Mong-Hong seems to be promising (and with great visuals). This one is more arthouse than horror despite some splatter scenes. The characters are rather irrational (a feature of horror films? :P ) which I found a bit annoying at first but in the end the impenetrability is a welcome part of the atmosphere. Won't be my last of his films.

caps: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/105601614849

10. Chou tin dik tong wah 1987 aka An Autumn Tale 8-/10
Nothing special film technique-wise but enjoyable and often very funny otherwise-wise.

11. Lanyu guan dian 1993 aka Voices of Orchid Island 7/10
Ethnographic documentary about the Yami people on Orchid Island, a small island located 45 miles off the southeast coast of Taiwan in the Pacific Ocean, their ambilavent relationship to (arrogant) tourists, medical treatment and superstition.
Last edited by Melvelet on December 19th, 2014, 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » December 17th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Melvelet on Dec 17 2014, 05:34:18 AM wrote:China
(maybe if I'll stay in this mood a while longer I'll distinguish between Mainland, HK & Taiwan for this log.)
If you need ideas of what to watch, I have a list of my favorite Chinese-language films (last updated 5 months ago so it's missing a few): http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070219933/

I suggest watching A Brighter Summer Day next.

If you're looking for more arthouse crime films, I guess Made in Hong Kong, Dangerous Encounters of the First Kind, and Night and Fog are a little arthouse (but no detectives if I remember correctly). If you're specifically looking for a detective film, maybe you would like Infernal Affairs (but it's more mainstream than the others).

I haven't seen Black Coal, Thin Ice so I couldn't tell you if there's anything similar to it, but I noticed that it stars Lun Mei Gwei who was also in Secret (one of my favorite Taiwanese films, but neither a crime film nor arthouse).

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » December 19th, 2014, 2:00 pm

Oh great, deleted my longer post...here's the short version:

Thanks for the list, gave some of them higher priority (although my next bunch is more or less set). Made in Hong Kong is on my watchlist, Night and Fog looks like the kind of movie I'm looking for. Gritty Chinese realism. Thanks! :)
I'm waiting for the restoration of A Brighter Summer Day. Might take forever though...

I've added caps to the post above. Maybe I should post a cap for every movie?

8. Dong dong de jia qi (1984) - A Summer at Grandpa's 9/10 (l) and Top 10 for my <400 list
The earliest Hou film I've seen up to now. It is faster pace than his later work and probably the most accessible I've seen from him so far, and also one of his best.

From the (not necessarily innocent) perspective of an 11-year old boy. Starts out funny and charming, with a lot of small incidents that reminded me of Ozu films (most notably Ohayo, Early Summer, I was born but...). I expected it to go on like this and would have loved it if it did. Probably that's why it hit me hard when it grows considerably darker. I don't want to use the word coming-of-age (the protagonist is too young) but rather encountering the violent darkness of the adult world. I really shouldn't spoil it. From that point on it's clearly Hou's, already quite refined style. Taiwan is as beautiful as ever and I especially want to stress the great use of obstacles.

caps: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/105599823739
http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/105600040384

9. Shi hun 2013 aka Soul 8-/10
Looking for new interesting directors, Chung Mong-Hong seems to be promising (and with great visuals). This one is more arthouse than horror despite some splatter scenes. The characters are rather irrational (a feature of horror films? :P ) which I found a bit annoying at first but in the end the impenetrability is a welcome part of the atmosphere. Won't be my last of his films.

caps: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/105601614849

10. Chou tin dik tong wah 1987 aka An Autumn Tale 8-/10
Nothing special film technique-wise but enjoyable and often very funny otherwise-wise.

11. Lanyu guan dian 1993 aka Voices of Orchid Island 7/10
Ethnographic documentary about the Yami people on Orchid Island, a small island located 45 miles off the southeast coast of Taiwan in the Pacific Ocean, their ambilavent relationship to (arrogant) tourists, medical treatment and superstition. Submitted it to IMDb in the night and it's there already...omitting the director credit.
Last edited by Melvelet on December 19th, 2014, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey » June 1st, 2015, 12:00 pm

I think this whole challenge idea of yours is great, now I found it tempting to do the same :D Have you give up on it ?

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » June 4th, 2015, 12:28 pm

Well, I did quite a few mini challenges since then but I never wrote about them (although I also watched fewer movies than usual during the past months) :/
I just decided to revive this (my Latin American watching is all over the place so it'll be a bigger "theme" this time - I'd better have started sooner. Writing immediately is easier than after 2 weeks :D ).

As always, recommendations (especially movies you think I might like ;) ) are appreciated.

Latin America

Best discoveries (in order):
- Rodrigo D : No futuro 1990
- Hombre mirando al sudeste 1986 — a.k.a. Man Facing Southeast
- Crónica de un niño solo 1965 — a.k.a. Chronicle of a Boy Alone
- El castillo de la pureza 1973 — a.k.a. Castle of Purity

1. Rodrigo D : No futuro 1990 8+/10 - Colombia
Depressing, rebellious and fun to watch at the same time. Great locations were used (although I'm grateful I don't live in this violent world - 4 members of the cast died just between shooting and release oO). I'll have to promote this one :)
More screens: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/1206863 ... -rodrigo-d

2. Araya 1959 8-/10 - Venezuela
Documentary about the hopeless life in a quite unique place.

3. El pez que fuma 1977 — a.k.a. The Smoking Fish 6/10 - Venezuela

4. Eu Sei Que Vou Te Amar 1986 — a.k.a. Love Me Forever or Never 7/10 - Brazil
Great cinematography but the dialogue (or rather monologues?) felt rather pointless and not as witty as it wanted to be.
More screens: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/1206208 ... -a-love-me

5. La casa del ángel 1957 — a.k.a. End of Innocence 8/10 - Argentina
Oh, if this only had a halfway decent release...

6. Hombre mirando al sudeste 1986 — a.k.a. Man Facing Southeast 8+/10 - Argentina
Philosophical and mysterious, great atmosphere. Not so few checks but rarely talked about...Another one I need to promote for 500<400! Also some nice visuals (my screenshots aren't that great - I still need to find a solution to create them while watching instead of afterwards on my ubuntu)
more screens: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/1206201 ... -a-k-a-man

7. Chircales 1972 — a.k.a. The Brickmakers 7/10 - Colombia
I guess this won't be my last depressing documentary about very poor Latin American people.

8. De cierta manera 1978 — a.k.a. One Way or Another 6/10 - Cuba

9. Crónica de un niño solo 1965 — a.k.a. Chronicle of a Boy Alone 8/10 - Argentina
A bit short but a quite good watch. Not so much dialogue, consisting a quite different segments (although it's one plot). Great visuals especially in the first part, great atmosphere especially in the river scenes.
more screens: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/1206194 ... 1965-a-k-a

10. El castillo de la pureza 1973 — a.k.a. Castle of Purity 8/10 - Mexico
Indeed the comparison with Dogtooth is a burden but I really like the concept and Castle of Purity has enough interesting differences for me to enjoy that concept once again (okay, rather ironic to say this about the older movie...). Nice set design and visuals.

11. Los muertos 2004 7/10 - Argentina
Looking forward to watching more from Alonso although this one didn't particularly click with me.

12. El lado oscuro del corazón 1992 — a.k.a. The Dark Side of the Heart 7+/10 (maybe 8/10) - Argentina
Great visuals once again. Couldn't complain about the rest (In fact I ask myself why I don't like it more than I do - maybe because I'm a bit ill right now?).
more screens: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/1206187 ... -a-k-a-the
Last edited by Melvelet on June 12th, 2015, 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

monty

Post by monty » June 4th, 2015, 1:07 pm

Good to see you've decided to tackle Latin American cinema, melvelet.
Allow me to recommend the following: Sin nombre (2009), La jaula de oro (2013), La ley de Herodes (1999), El imperio de la fortuna (1986), Cabeza de Vaca (1991), Edifício Master (2002), Whisky (2004), Canoa (1976) and the outstanding Colombian documentary La sierra (2005) .
Last edited by monty on June 4th, 2015, 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Melvelet

Post by Melvelet » June 12th, 2015, 5:27 pm

Thanks for those recommendations, monty! Some of these didn't get my attention before but they look interesting. I've watched Canoa. La sierra seems to be a good companion to Rodrigo D?

I'll split this visit to 'Latin America' into as many countries as possible.
If someone's interested: those are my favourite Latin American films so far (can someone tell me where to find my #19? :blink: )
http://www.imdb.com/list/ls072821980/

Argentina

6. La libertad 2001 — a.k.a. Freedom 7+/10
7. Liverpool 2008 7-/10

So I've watched the 3 Alonso movies I wanted to watch this month. I had hoped to be more impressed. La libertad is my favourite of those as expected (self chosen life in isolation is a theme that generally fascinates me) but none of those three got me in a mood that would justify an inclusion in my Hidden Gems list.

Colombia

3. La sirga 2012 — a.k.a. The Towrope 8/10
Doomed atmosphere and a great choice of location(s) against the backdrop of armed conflict that we never see but can always feel.
More screenshots here: http://melvelet.tumblr.com/post/1213580 ... sirga-2012

4. El vuelco del cangrejo 2009 — a.k.a. Crab Trap 7+/10
Another calm arthouse film in which a white traveller - for reasons that are not clear - wants to leave the country by boat and ends up in an isolated village that is only inhabited by Afro-Colombians and a single white man that legally owns this piece of land.

5. La estrategia del caracol 1993 — a.k.a. The Snail's Strategy 6/10
And this is supposed to be the best Colombian film ever. Nothing really grabbed me and the humour didn't work for me (although it's not that comedic).

Mexico

2. Yanco 1961 8-/10
Image (image taken from ArthurYanthar's blog)
Visual storytelling with hardly any dialogue but yet a focus on sound. I'm not quite sure how to interpret the ending ^_^ Cinematography is good but not exceptional.
Huge thanks to Arthur for discovering and promoting this unique little film.

3. Canoa 1976 8-/10
An unpleasant film about the lynching of a group of University employees by a small town that blindly follows its corrupt priest, believing they are fighting 'communism'.
Thanks to monty for the recommendation.

Other

1. Hamaca paraguaya 2006 — a.k.a. Paraguayan Hammock 7-/10 - Paraguay
Off dialogues between a husband, his wife and their son who goes to war over slow scenes that are of lower importance. Rather exhausting.

2. Ukamau 1966 6/10 - Bolivia
My second Bolivian film after Blood of the Condor. Bolivia offers great landscapes but that bad acting and those all too simplistic images of the enemy...
Last edited by Melvelet on June 12th, 2015, 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage

monty

Post by monty » July 10th, 2015, 12:50 pm

Melvelet on Jun 4 2015, 06:28:42 AM wrote: 1. Rodrigo D : No futuro 1990 8+/10 - Colombia
Depressing, rebellious and fun to watch at the same time. Great locations were used (although I'm grateful I don't live in this violent world - 4 members of the cast died just between shooting and release oO). I'll have to promote this one :)
Victor Gaviria's films are never easy or uplifting watches but he sure has a knack for portraying the underbelly of Colombian society.
In my mind, his best effort by far is La vendedora de rosas, which rivals Babenco's Pixote for gritty realism and heartbreaking sadness. Why this film is in no official lists is beyond me. For that matter, so is the fact that very few forumites have seen it yet.
Last edited by monty on July 10th, 2015, 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.