Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)

Getting my cinematic groove back

CMT

Getting my cinematic groove back

Post by CMT » August 24th, 2014, 3:22 am

Lately I've found I've fell out of the habit of watching movies regularly or watching them and not being able to concentrate. So I thought I'd start this film log so I have to concentrate to write up on the films. Hopefully along the way I'll watch something that will reawaken my love for movies.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 24th, 2014, 3:39 am

I've been in a similar way, strangely. I wait until I'm in the mood and jump on one, but I find that my mind wanders and I have to keep rewinding or pausing and going back to it later. Really annoying.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

CMT

Post by CMT » August 24th, 2014, 3:41 am

mightysparks on Aug 23 2014, 09:39:16 PM wrote:I've been in a similar way, strangely. I wait until I'm in the mood and jump on one, but I find that my mind wanders and I have to keep rewinding or pausing and going back to it later. Really annoying.
If I watch on my desktop I always seem to open up minesweeper while I'm watching.

Noirville

Post by Noirville » August 24th, 2014, 8:55 pm

Perhaps it's better to accept that you've lost interest and find other things to delve into. Your interest in movies will most likely return in due time.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 24th, 2014, 9:13 pm

Noirville on Aug 24 2014, 02:55:55 PM wrote:Perhaps it's better to accept that you've lost interest and find other things to delve into. Your interest in movies will most likely return in due time.
Should we start recommending potential hobbies?

Fly fishing
Knitting
Volunteering at an animal shelter might meet a cute girl or three I dunno bro maybe that's yer thing
collecting leaves and smashin em in books
creating and distributing pamphlets on the pros and cons of lawn mowing at night
painting
painting nails
collecting nail clippings
selling said nail clippings (and possibly the aforementioned knittings and fishing flies) on etsy
that cute girl at the animal shelter tells you about this awesome etsy page that sold her some dope-ass nail clippings for her hella weird collection
le gasp! it was you all along!
six months later? married. you're welcome.

CMT

Post by CMT » August 25th, 2014, 10:16 am

funkybusiness on Aug 24 2014, 03:13:24 PM wrote:
Noirville on Aug 24 2014, 02:55:55 PM wrote:Perhaps it's better to accept that you've lost interest and find other things to delve into. Your interest in movies will most likely return in due time.
Should we start recommending potential hobbies?

Fly fishing
Knitting
Volunteering at an animal shelter might meet a cute girl or three I dunno bro maybe that's yer thing
collecting leaves and smashin em in books
creating and distributing pamphlets on the pros and cons of lawn mowing at night
painting
painting nails
collecting nail clippings
selling said nail clippings (and possibly the aforementioned knittings and fishing flies) on etsy
that cute girl at the animal shelter tells you about this awesome etsy page that sold her some dope-ass nail clippings for her hella weird collection
le gasp! it was you all along!
six months later? married. you're welcome.
I've been looking at volunteering at the RSPCA but volunteering doesn't open till September.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 25th, 2014, 4:49 pm

That's only a week away!

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » August 25th, 2014, 5:35 pm

You could do two things imho:
Like Noirville said you could wait till you find yourself in the mood for movies again.
Or you could try to minimize all the distractions while watching movies. For starters putting your mouse and keyboard out of reach, so you don't start playing minesweeper while watching it. Same goes for your mobile, put it out of reach so you don't start playing with that either.
Btw, there is a fantastic place especially designed to minimize distractions and make you focus on the screen. It's called a cinema. ;)

CMT

Post by CMT » August 27th, 2014, 3:17 am

Lonewolf2003 on Aug 25 2014, 11:35:16 AM wrote:You could do two things imho:
Like Noirville said you could wait till you find yourself in the mood for movies again.
Or you could try to minimize all the distractions while watching movies. For starters putting your mouse and keyboard out of reach, so you don't start playing minesweeper while watching it. Same goes for your mobile, put it out of reach so you don't start playing with that either.
Btw, there is a fantastic place especially designed to minimize distractions and make you focus on the screen. It's called a cinema. ;)
I'm going to see some Svankmajer shorts and Faust at a cinema tonight. I haven't felt like sitting down and watching anything lately. This is my DVD pile I've put aside to watch

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 27th, 2014, 3:29 am

We're in Australia, cinemas rarely play anything of interest (in Perth, it's maybe once a year) :P . I'm thinking of getting a TV attached to my wall so I can pull it out and watch it whilst lying in bed, so I'm not tempted to go for my mouse or open up another screen. I remember watching some show years ago and playing Minesweeper while I watched it and that's what started getting me into restless moods when I watch stuff. I always get rejuvenated when I watch a great film for the first time and it's the only thing that does it so I have to wade through the muck before I can get my 'groove' back.

Also, To Be or Not to Be is awesome.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

sebby

Post by sebby » August 27th, 2014, 3:36 am

CMT on Aug 26 2014, 09:17:46 PM wrote:
Lonewolf2003 on Aug 25 2014, 11:35:16 AM wrote:You could do two things imho:
I'm going to see some Svankmajer shorts and Faust at a cinema tonight. I haven't felt like sitting down and watching anything lately. This is my DVD pile I've put aside to watch
Watched Smithereens last week. Really great. Probably my favorite No Wave movie.

CMT

Post by CMT » August 27th, 2014, 5:08 pm

Svankmajer shorts:
Johanes Doktor Faust: Quite good, the puppets had an amateurishness and naff quality but in a traditional endearing way like a doddering relative. 5/10
The Last Trick: A fun short, definitely falls short of my favourites though. I wonder about some of the favourites though as I consider most of Svankmajer's shorts entertaining trivialities (as I do most shorts) and I worry how I should place five or 15 minutes that works almost perfectly effective on me to a rougher 90 minute film with ups and downs. 7/10
Dimensions of Dialogue: (rewatch) Definitely my favourite of his shorts, a lot of fun and has the best imagery. 9/10
The Pit the Pendulum and Hope: (rewatch) Very tense but some how still I don't seem to be as enthused with it as his more comedic affair, maybe because his adaptation of Poe worked better in the longer format of Sileni. 7/10
The Death of Stalinism in Bohemia: (rewatch) I struggle with this one because I'm not aware of many of the faces of the USSR leaders. Prefer his stop motion to the cut out style used here which looks rather pedestrian compared to Harry Smith or Stan Vanderbeek. 6/10
The Torchbearer: I don't understand why children of famous artists go on to do the same type of work as their parents. Luckily Vaclov avoids this trend by being unlike his father in not being any good. This short was offensively mediocre. The whole thing seems video game like, derivative and I was just waiting for it to end. The animation was adequately done but the plot and conception seems like it was written by a teenage Avenged Sevenfold fan. 2/10

I'll probably write something about Faust tomorrow after getting some sleep and after my shift at work. It was good to go to a cinema though. During the intermission I noticed this guy in front of me had lots of curly hair growing out of the back of his neck. It looked disgusting, people shave the back of your neck.
Last edited by CMT on August 27th, 2014, 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.