Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: The Great White Silence, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Mighty's Rewatch Journey

mightysparks
Site Admin

Mighty's Rewatch Journey

Post by mightysparks » June 1st, 2014, 1:04 am

Neither have I. There's nothing wrong with it, just that I prefer the internal conflict-y stuff to action. Getting to know their younger selves in FC was more interesting to me.

I remember there used to be this animated thing on TV and it was the same one every time so I dunno if it was an episode or a short or what, but I remember it taking place in like an arcade and Rogue was there and there was some big fight. That was the only X-Men thing I'd ever seen prior to the first film coming out. Wish I knew wtf it was.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 7th, 2014, 4:36 pm

I rewatched Orgazmo a few days ago and I was pretty busy yesterday with some rewatches...

Orgazmo (1997)

Last watched: 12 March 2006
Original Rating: 9/10

I first watched this when I was about 10, it was around 2001 sometime. We got a kitten for my dad some time later which he named 'Gazmo' after it. So it's been part of my life for a very long time. This rewatch didn't really do anything new. Still found it hilarious, though the [purposeful] cheesiness was slightly annoying after a while. This kills me every time:

Joe Young: But if you're such a scientific genius,don't you think Heavenly Father has something more important planned for your life?

Ben Chapelski: Who?

Joe Young: You.

Ben Chapelski: ...What?

New rating: 9/10

Thor (2011)

Last watched: 30 April 2012
Original Rating: 7/10

Since I've been watching Agents of Shield lately, I felt like rewatching The Avengers. The first time I saw it, I hadn't watched Thor and had no idea how Thor or Loki fit into the film. I then watched this not expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. It's not great, but it's very entertaining even on a rewatch. It's just not particularly 'strong' in anything, there's no real underlining themes, it's just entertaining. I don't like Portman in it, she's not convincing at all. Obviously Hiddleston is the highlight of the film; performance-wise and looks-wise.

New rating: 7/10

The Avengers (2012)

Last watched: 28 April 2012
Original Rating: 8/10

Was just as good the second time around. I think it's harder for me to love it anymore because I don't have any strong attachment to any of the characters, fans of the comics etc will probably have an easier time with that. A mostly good ensemble with good chemistry, everyone gets a fair share of the action. It's also refreshing as an action film since we actually get to see the action instead of the camera just shaking around the place. Black Widow is still the weakest link in the film, I don't find the character very interesting and she's pretty pointless. Johansson is also just a bad actor, and especially looks bad here next to everyone else. Although I liked Mark Ruffalo the first time around, this time he felt out of place and awkward. Once again, Hiddleston stands out above everyone else (I thought this the first time as well and this was when I didn't even know who Loki was, but he still made a big impression).

New rating: 8/10

Jurassic Park (1993)

Last watched: 12 August 2011

After that, I then felt like dinosaurs and I'd been wanting to rewatch this trilogy for a while. I think this was the first time that I thought the effects were looking a little dated (but still my #2 of best effects ever). That fecking scene with the T-Rex is amazing every damn time I watch it. Found the build-up a little annoying and the overly dramatic and loud music (this stuff never really bothered me before, but I'm starting to notice it all the time now). I also wish it was a little darker, it's a little too fluffy. But I still love it.

The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)

Last watched: Before 2006 some time

It's been a long time since I watched this one and I always remembered liking it almost on par with the first. I also thought there was more T-Rex in the city, so was disappointed to discover it only really happened in the last 30 minutes. But then I realised that it would've just seemed like Godzilla if it had been the entire film. Anyway, didn't like it as much now. Found it a lot slower and was too concerned with humans being bad rather than it being humans against nature, which is much more interesting. The whole poacher business is just dull.

I also rewatched the third one, which I've only seen once or twice and I've never really been a fan (so no fancy write up). It was better than I thought it was going to be, but just average.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » June 7th, 2014, 5:37 pm

I love the first Jurassic Park (only the annoying kids bring it down from a 9/10 to 8/10) but I hate Lost World (3/10). Not only does it have another annoying kid who can take out Raptors with her gymnastics skills but it also has an unpleasant set of "good guys" who sabotage an expedition to capture dinosaurs and deliberately cause a lot of deaths - yet they're always right and invulnerable. Meanwhile the "bad guys" who aren't really doing anything wrong are all incompetent, wrong and just there to be dino chow. I consider it Spielberg's worst (yes, worse than Hook or Crystal Skull). Jurassic Park 3 is an improvement because it's a more of a generic extended dinosaur chase.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 7th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Yeah, the kids are annoying in all the films, but at least the kids in the first one made sense. I agree that The Lost World just seems like a dino slasher, but I still like it enough.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 7th, 2014, 6:23 pm

Beetlejuice (1988)

Last watched: Before 2006

Around 2002, my dad's then-girlfriend told me about Beetlejuice, but I thought it sounded stupid and refused to watch it. One night I stayed at her house and reluctantly watched it. And loved it. So since then I've tried to just watch everything regardless of how stupid it sounds to me. The other day I woke up with Day-O stuck in my head, so I've been meaning to get to it for a few days. I remembered it quite vividly, which is odd since it's been so long since I've seen it. It's still awesome. I like all the cast, except that one weird lady always annoyed me. The sets are awesome and I just love the look and feel of it. And the Day-O scene is still one of my favourite scenes ever. It cracks me up every time.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » June 7th, 2014, 6:56 pm

I'm unsure about the title. Does these titles actually qualifies as "films"?
Top 200 | https://rateyourmusic.com/~Dolwphin

Member of the Experimental Mafia.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 7th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Look who's talking.

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » June 7th, 2014, 7:24 pm

I'm sure that is one of your favorite films as well. :D

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 7th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Unlike some people I don't favourite (or dislike) films before even seeing them.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 7th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Not even the films I desperately try to promote? (in terms of dislikes)
Last edited by XxXApathy420XxX on June 7th, 2014, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » June 7th, 2014, 7:33 pm

mightysparks on Jun 7 2014, 01:32:02 PM wrote:Unlike some people I don't favourite (or dislike) films before even seeing them.
That is because you are a bad detective.

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » June 7th, 2014, 7:34 pm

Oh boy. Cute couple alert
My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

Dolwphin

Post by Dolwphin » June 7th, 2014, 7:38 pm

ArthurYanthar on Jun 7 2014, 01:34:59 PM wrote:Oh boy. Cute couple alert
:hmph:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 7th, 2014, 7:42 pm

ArthurYanthar on Jun 7 2014, 01:32:47 PM wrote:Not even the films I desperately try to promote? (in terms of dislikes)
I'm wary, but I have no clue what I'll like or dislike so I just shrug and jump in.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 20th, 2014, 11:00 am

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Last watched: 26 March 2011
Original Rating: 10/10

A few days ago I had a double feature of Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. It's been a while since I've seen both of them. The first time I saw a poster for Shaun of the Dead, I KNEW I had to see it just based on the tagline 'A romantic comedy. With zombies'. I loved it from the first viewing and every viewing since, though last time I felt a bit iffy on it for some reason. It had felt fresh and perfect every other time, but that particular viewing didn't seem as funny, but I suspected it may have been my mood rather than the film, and I think it must've been, because it once again felt fresh and amazing. There's literally no fault I can find with the film. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are amazing together, no line or scene feels unnecessary and it's hilarious and still the best zomcom.

New rating: 10/10

Hot Fuzz (2007)

Last watched: 19 June 2007

I've only seen Hot Fuzz a couple of times and as you can see, the last viewing was - almost to the day - 7 years ago. I loved the film, but I think I was a bit put off by Pegg as the straight man. I wasn't really bothered by anything about it this time and though I can't really find faults with it, I still don't love it as much as Shaun. I had a bit more fun with this viewing because of the West Country accents, Stephen Merchant's cameo, The Hound going 'yarp' etc. I'm not a big fan of the 'buddy cop' subgenre, but this is one of the better ones although it still has some aspects that I don't like that much. I guess I don't like Pegg and Frost's dynamic as much in this than in their other films. It's still got some hilarious stuff and works really well, but for whatever reason it's not as close to my heart as it could be.

Still my favourite moment:

VincentPrice

Post by VincentPrice » June 20th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Man, I love Paddy Considine.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 20th, 2014, 6:54 pm

I've rewatched the trilogy a couple times (or so) over the last two weeks (after having not seen the first two in several years, and the latest never) and I think they're all on the same level but in entirely different ways. I don't think I could pick one over the rest as being "better" as they are all extremely well made but they attempt entirely different things but I can pick a favorite and that would be Hot Fuzz. I think Paddy Considine is amazing in Hot Fuzz but he's the only weak element in The World's End. Funny enough, the first time I watched it the only thing that bugged me were the screen wipes using some element of the frame (a man walking by, a bulldozer in a construction site and that one's the worst because it's like the scale is wrong? Like the bulldozer is only slightly larger than the people) a technique I thought was waaaay overused and also the quick zoom in and out in the battle sequences. But subsequent viewings I barely noticed the wipes and didn't notice the zooms at all. :/

I think tomorrow I'll rewatch Shaun of the Dead again (I've rewatched it the once v. at least twice for the others) and, who knows, my opinion of all three might change again.

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » June 20th, 2014, 6:58 pm

To me: Hot Fuzz>Shaun of the Dead>The World's End

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 20th, 2014, 7:04 pm

The World's End is my least fave, but still good. Fuzz and Shaun are fairly equal in how well made they are but Shaun is by far my favourite. I love Paddy Considine in Hot Fuzz but I don't really like him in anything else.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » July 12th, 2014, 5:58 am

Rewatched a bit over the last few weeks...

What Lies Beneath (2000)

Original Rating: 7/10

I started thinking about this a few months ago but I didn't remember much about it. I remembered it being better than it was. It was a pretty standard thriller, but had some moderately creepy moments. My rating is probably slightly high, it's kind of a 6.5 rounded up purely because it keeps your attention and some nostalgia value.

Piranha 3D (2010)

Last watched: 30 June 2012

It was on TV and I'd been wanting to watch it again for a while, so thought I'd take advantage. I still thought it was great, but it didn't do much more for me than the first watch. It may have been because I watched it with one of those people who need to ask questions EVERY FIVE SECONDS. The CGI is embarrassing but I'm not sure if it's on purpose or not, either way it doesn't really affect the experience. The scene in the picture is still one of the greatest things I've ever seen. It's funny, doesn't take itself seriously and effectively makes fun of the type of idiots who would participate in such acts as in the film and therefore it's fun to see them get munched.

Jawbreaker (1999)

This was my favourite movie for a bit when I first saw it, I must've been 9/10. Every time I have one of those long icy poles I'm reminded of the film, which is kind of annoying. Also rewatching it I remembered this is where I first learnt what the word 'tardy' meant. Anyway, it's been a very long time since I've seen it, but I found it held up surprisingly well. It's kind of a strange film because it's not really trying to be great and it's not trying to be bad. There isn't really much to it, it's pretty much what you see is what you get, but it's entertaining and Rose McGowan is really good (and jesus she is pale). So, yeah, I still love it.

I also rewatched Rose Red a couple of weeks ago which is a mini-series so it doesn't get a pretty write-up. I found it a lot cheesier than I remembered. I'm noticing that I'm a lot more sensitive towards melodrama these days and basically disliking things instantly. I still loved it because it has tons of creepy stuff, but the 'development' scenes are pretty cringy. I first saw it when it first came out, so I was 11 and I remember when I started watching It's Always Sunny and the McPoyle's turned up and I was like OMG IT'S THAT GUY FROM ROSE RED and now it's weird that I know him more as a McPoyle. Anyway, my dad and I often quote stuff from the film to each other, especially 'Sister, I got baby' and mentioning Sukeena, so it was fun revisiting that. It wasn't as much fun revisiting two traumatic moments from my childhood; one was when the lady is in bed and sees a lump coming toward her under the covers, and the other is this:

At the time I had a double bed and this freaked me out so I was terrified of something materializing behind me, so I would stretch out in such a way that nothing could. Sometimes if I've heard a spooky noise and I'm in bed I still expect her fingers to come crawling over me. I also still have issues with sleeping with my legs spread out in case of creepy lump creatures. Sometimes I'll stretch like that and quickly close them back up coz I just can't do it.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » March 31st, 2015, 12:33 am

Remember this thread? :whistling:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 31st, 2015, 12:34 am

Lammetje on Mar 30 2015, 06:33:24 PM wrote:Remember this thread? :whistling:
Yes, but I didn't want to keep posting in my own thread :P I wasn't going to post on the forum at all about this one, which is why I made the new blog thing, but I figure doing it in a challenge setting would be alright.