Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)

Mighty's Rewatch Journey

joachimt
Donator

Mighty's Rewatch Journey

Post by joachimt » February 5th, 2014, 11:44 pm

mightysparks on Feb 5 2014, 04:41:11 PM wrote:It just shows the importance of rewatches :P
I'm rewatching my absolute top favorites, so I don't expect such big drops in ratings.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 5th, 2014, 11:46 pm

Did you miss the part where I originally gave Amelie a 10 (down to a 9 when I did ratings purge and changed 10s to '11s')? It was one of my top favourites too :P
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

monty

Post by monty » February 5th, 2014, 11:54 pm

Mighty, you should rewatch some of the classics you hate. I'm sure some of them will surprise you in a positive way.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 5th, 2014, 11:59 pm

At the moment I need all the joy I can get, so I will not be doing that right now. I'm remembering why I used to rewatch films all the time because, unlike people, films are always there for you and revisiting old favourites is like hanging out with a good friend - whereas people just dick you around and aren't worth the time.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 8th, 2014, 3:24 am

American Beauty (1999)

Last watched: 2/1/06
Original rating: 10/10

I first watched this on the 1 January 2006 and the last time I watched it was on the 2 January 2006. I'm not sure I knew what I liked so much about it then, but some things made more sense to me this time - though I also noticed some flaws. Firstly - and one thing I was well aware of the first time I watched it - jesus christ, Kevin Spacey is hot. Like, seriously, ridiculously. I think that was one reason the afore-mentioned flaws went unnoticed.

So, the film; I think the performances are pretty great. It's definitely the film's strongest point. Birch and Suvari are a little iffy though; I don't think Birch quite gets into the same depth as the other actors do with their characters, and Suvari doesn't really do 'sexy' believably.

The aspects that I liked are a little too complicated to go into detail about, so I won't bother. I realise that the narrative is rather conventional and it's not hiding everything behind 17 walls of symbolism and I suspect this is why most people like to shit all over it. However, I think this method works perfectly well for the film and its themes and doing it any other way would be betraying the very themes and messages it's trying to convey. It does, unfortunately, overstep itself a little and feels a bit overdone at times. But ultimately it feels very genuine to me, whereas most films dealing with similar issues feel very dishonest and fake.

So, despite a few dodgy bits here and there, it is held together very well thanks to the great performances - especially Spacey, Bening and Cooper, who are all so captivating that those bits of melodrama are pretty easily ignored. However, some of these bits did take me out of the film and so it doesn't still give me that special tingly 10/10 feeling (though Kevin Spacey gave me other special tingly feelings :teehee: ), but I think it's still a pretty perfect film.

New rating: 9/10

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » February 8th, 2014, 3:31 am

and Suvari doesn't really do 'sexy' believably.
I thought she gave a pretty good performance. I think she wasn't going for sexy but what a 16-17 year old thinks is sexy to an older man. It's like that I'm a sexy baby bit from 30 Rock.

But I'm not a big fan of this film, so...

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 8th, 2014, 3:35 am

funkybusiness on Feb 7 2014, 08:31:12 PM wrote:
and Suvari doesn't really do 'sexy' believably.
I thought she gave a pretty good performance. I think she wasn't going for sexy but what a 16-17 year old thinks is sexy to an older man. It's like that I'm a sexy baby bit from 30 Rock.

But I'm not a big fan of this film, so...
Yeah, I know, but even in his fantasies etc. She's not awful, but I don't quite 'feel' it (not finding her sexy myself, but in the sense of the film). I don't watch 30 Rock so dunno what that means :P

sebby

Post by sebby » February 8th, 2014, 5:28 am

mightysparks on Feb 5 2014, 04:59:02 PM wrote:At the moment I need all the joy I can get, so I will not be doing that right now. I'm remembering why I used to rewatch films all the time because, unlike people, films are always there for you and revisiting old favourites is like hanging out with a good friend - whereas people just dick you around and aren't worth the time.
:hug:

I went from loving American Beauty the first time I saw it to hating it the second time and back to loving it the third time. Kind of scared to watch it again at this point.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 8th, 2014, 11:37 am

mightysparks on Feb 5 2014, 04:59:02 PM wrote:At the moment I need all the joy I can get, so I will not be doing that right now. I'm remembering why I used to rewatch films all the time because, unlike people, films are always there for you and revisiting old favourites is like hanging out with a good friend - whereas people just dick you around and aren't worth the time.
Except here on the forum, agree or disagree with opinions , but many of us are here a lot of time.. :lol:
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 8th, 2014, 7:26 pm

The Usual Suspects (1995)

Last watched: 17/12/05
Original rating: 10/10

My internet hasn't been working for hours, so I can't download the film I want to watch and so have to watch the films I already have. So, I first watched this on the 16 December 2005 and last watched it on the 17 December 2005; see any resemblance to American Beauty? :whistling:

Like American Beauty, I get the feeling this is another film that is dimissed by "film buffs" after having seen a few arty flicks and deciding that its narrative is too conventional to be a good film. And also like AB, it is still a very enjoyable and very good film with performances that make it rise above a typical thriller (or drama in AB's case). Narration in film kinda annoys me though. Knowing the twist doesn't seem to hurt it any either, I started looking for other details which I hadn't noticed before instead. And even though I hadn't known there was a twist first time I watched it, I still 'guessed' it because
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
the hottest guy is always the bad guy. Well 90% of the time :P
Anyway, still a good film and can't really find many faults with it, but again, it doesn't quite have that tingly 10 feeling. And this is why I no longer give out 10/10s after a first viewing or before many years have passed... Hopefully some of my 9s and 8s will increase some to make up for all this down voting.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 8th, 2014, 10:07 pm

The Punisher (2004)

Last watched: 2004/2005
Original rating: 8/10

I know I've seen this twice, but I'm not sure when the second viewing was. The only thing I remembered was the scene where the neighbours are dancing while Jane fights the Russian. And that was a pretty good seen. Jane was also kind of adorably vulnerable during that scene too.

I liked that it was darker than most 'hero' movies, and even though I don't advocate revenge and Frank isn't that fleshed out, he remains likable and imperfect and you root for him, which I think is largely due to Thomas Jane's performance and general presence. It's still a good and very enjoyable film but I don't really think I like it more or less than I did the last time.

New rating: 8/10

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 8th, 2014, 11:26 pm

Cippenham on Feb 8 2014, 04:37:50 AM wrote:
Except here on the forum, agree or disagree with opinions , but many of us are here a lot of time.. :lol:
Merely existing isn't being there for someone. The good thing is is that I've learnt to never put my trust in anyone again because I always end up getting tossed aside like a piece of shit. I felt a lot better about myself and the world when I was alone so that's how things will always be from now on.

Cippenham
Donator

Post by Cippenham » February 8th, 2014, 11:50 pm

Sorry to hear the bitter truth of experience but all people and all men are not the same believe me.
Turning over a new leaf :ICM:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 26th, 2014, 5:21 am

Forgot I was doing this. Have started doing some rewatches lately to wind down.

The Apartment (1960)

Last watched: 13 July 2006
Original Rating: 7/10

I liked it when I first watched it but didn't think it was particularly special just, you know, 'nice'. I was reading some interviews with Stephen Merchant where he said this was his favourite film, and then it got stuck on my mind so I thought I'd try it again. I was surprised at how dark it was, and how expertly the line between tragedy and comedy was handled. It really didn't feel like 1960. Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacClaine were great; they held their own but also played off each other well.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Last watched: 2 July 2010
Original Rating: 10/10

It's been almost 10 years since I first saw it and it blew my mind [possibly also being a catalyst in my top 250 watching]. As I noted in the other thread, whenever it's been a while (4 years this time) I start wondering what it is that makes it my favourite film - and then I rewatch it again and it hits me like it was the first time I was seeing it. It starts off a little slow but then it just grabs you and doesn't let you go. Obviously Nicholson is great, supporting cast is great, Ratched is an evil cow and Fletcher gives the best female performance of all time. I'm not even sure how to express just why I love it so much, but every time I watch it I realise something new about why it affects me so much. I also still find Danny Devito hilarious as well. Especially after watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and then you watch this and you just want to squeeze his little head.

New rating: 10/10

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » April 26th, 2014, 5:56 am

mightysparks on Apr 25 2014, 11:21:00 PM wrote:Forgot I was doing this. Have started doing some rewatches lately to wind down.

The Apartment (1960)

Last watched: 13 July 2006

I liked it when I first watched it but didn't think it was particularly special just, you know, 'nice'. I was reading some interviews with Stephen Merchant where he said this was his favourite film, and then it got stuck on my mind so I thought I'd try it again. I was surprised at how dark it was, and how expertly the line between tragedy and comedy was handled. It really didn't feel like 1960. Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacClaine were great; they held their own but also played off each other well.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975)

Last watched: 2 July 2010
Original Rating: 10/10

It's been almost 10 years since I first saw it and it blew my mind [possibly also being a catalyst in my top 250 watching]. As I noted in the other thread, whenever it's been a while (4 years this time) I start wondering what it is that makes it my favourite film - and then I rewatch it again and it hits me like it was the first time I was seeing it. It starts off a little slow but then it just grabs you and doesn't let you go. Obviously Nicholson is great, supporting cast is great, Ratched is an evil cow and Fletcher gives the best female performance of all time. I'm not even sure how to express just why I love it so much, but every time I watch it I realise something new about why it affects me so much. I also still find Danny Devito hilarious as well. Especially after watching It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and then you watch this and you just want to squeeze his little head.

New rating: 10/10
Like you were going to change your rating for the best film EVER! :P

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 26th, 2014, 6:09 am

Just trying to keep a consistent format :P

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 2nd, 2014, 5:48 pm

The Collector (2009)

Last watched: 19 July 2012
Original Rating: 8/10

Feck me this movie is amazing. The most intense thing I've ever seen, even on a rewatch. It is a near goddamn masterpiece, with a few unfortunate flaws; taped on Hollywood ending, few annoying stylistic choices, poor acting/development at the beginning and a ton of plot/realism holes that I care nothing about because it is too awesome for me to care. Josh Stewart is a likable lead, though he is a little derpy and blah at times. I do like the dude though - I sat through all of No Ordinary Family because he was the only character I liked, so I was already familiar with him when I first saw this.

Anyway, I love the use of silence (and oh god, do I love silence), but I wish it had stuck to that throughout instead of chucking in some annoying music. The gore was also pretty cool and instead of just being randomly exploitative served a purpose as well. Wish we had seen less of the Collector dude though. I liked him shrouded in mystery and was glad they didn't waste time giving him a backstory. The sequel isn't worth watching to find out more.

And if it doesn't have the most amazing concept for a film ever, I don't know what does. If it had managed to stretch out the Arkin sneaking around + the Collector doing his thing without knowing Arkin was there for the entire film or ended 20 minutes earlier, it would likely be an easy 10.

Also rewatched The Bone Collector (1999) which was one of my favourite movies when I was 8/9-ish. I'm not really sure why I liked it so much :/ It was decent enough, but nothing special. I only remembered a few bits of it (Jolie pouting, taxi driver, steam pipe, train tracks), but I thought it was funny that I realised who the killer was immediately;
"Oh, it's Leland Orser, back when he was still cute - oh he must be the bad guy"

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 2nd, 2014, 5:53 pm

Every time you mention the age you watched something, I am like :blink: .
ICM-profile

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 2nd, 2014, 6:15 pm

Why? :/ I had some random favourite films in the late 90s/early 00s though.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 2nd, 2014, 6:32 pm

mightysparks on May 2 2014, 12:15:59 PM wrote:Why? :/ I had some random favourite films in the late 90s/early 00s though.
You really ask why? :huh:
Watching "The Bone Collector" at 8 years old? That's really not what I will show my kids at that age...
ICM-profile

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 2nd, 2014, 6:43 pm

Not much to discuss there, JT. Not all kids are being observed 24/7

I watched Omen on TV among other horror and sneaked away a Tinto Brass film and a Zalman King on VHS before I was 10. Certainly not complaining :P
Last edited by Armoreska on May 2nd, 2014, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 2nd, 2014, 7:00 pm

For me there was no way to watch those movies on TV at that age. We had one TV in the living room and I was never home alone. Apart from that, there were only three channels, so the chance of catching something 'naughty' was very small.

But to be honest. It would have never crossed my mind. At that age, I played outside whole day. When it was raining, my brothers and I invented all kinds of other games, so we were never bored. We watched TV for like 15 minutes a day.
ICM-profile

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » May 2nd, 2014, 7:02 pm

joachimt on May 2 2014, 12:32:39 PM wrote:
mightysparks on May 2 2014, 12:15:59 PM wrote:Why? :/ I had some random favourite films in the late 90s/early 00s though.
You really ask why? :huh:
Watching "The Bone Collector" at 8 years old? That's really not what I will show my kids at that age...
Not mine, either, but by age 8-9 my siblings and I were all sneaking over to the house of our neighbor friend with the super-laidback, less attentive (and somewhat crazy) parents to watch stuff like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Death Wish, Friday the 13th, and quite a few bloody ninja movies. Our own parents (particularly our very cautious, shielding mother) would have been horrified, had they known...we always told them we were playing pinball, Star Wars, etc. Look out! :ph43r:
Last edited by burneyfan on May 2nd, 2014, 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 2nd, 2014, 7:04 pm

I've been doing the same for roughly 2.5 years now. I started rewatching my favorites (some of them films I hadn't seen for over 10 years) to compile a fully reviewed Top XXX list. It's a fun job, though I must say I've rarely had to change any of my ratings (and the ones I did change were never above 1 point). Maybe 1/20 ends us with a new rating.

There's only one piece of advice I can give you: go slow. I do 1 film every 2 weeks, making it part of my weekly diet. That way you don't burn up after 2 or 3 months. That and a small dose of OCD will get you pretty far.
Last edited by Onderhond on May 2nd, 2014, 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 2nd, 2014, 7:10 pm

Onderhond on May 2 2014, 01:04:21 PM wrote:I've been doing the same for roughly 2.5 years now.
I was laughing at this line, because I thought it was meant as a reply to burneyfan. For a second I thought you were a 9 year old who's been sneaking his way to the neighbors for the past 2.5 years. :lol:
ICM-profile

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 2nd, 2014, 7:59 pm

... and who used to watch film from his mother's womb? That'd be something!

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 2nd, 2014, 8:55 pm

mightysparks on May 2 2014, 11:48:01 AM wrote:Also rewatched The Bone Collector (1999) which was one of my favourite movies when I was 8/9-ish. I'm not really sure why I liked it so much :/ It was decent enough, but nothing special. I only remembered a few bits of it (Jolie pouting, taxi driver, steam pipe, train tracks), but I thought it was funny that I realised who the killer was immediately;
"Oh, it's Leland Orser, back when he was still cute - oh he must be the bad guy"
When did you rewatch it? I rewatched it today (see Revisiting Challenge) and noticed that you rated it a 6 on Listal.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 3rd, 2014, 2:42 am

I rewatched it today/same day I posted.

The Bone Collector is only rated M in Australia, it's pretty family friendly really. I loved movies as a kid and when dad would rent a new batch of movies I'd try to watch all of them. When he came home with a bunch of videos was like my favourite thing in the world.

They only really restricted me from watching some R/MA films if they considered them too graphic or scary, but I was allowed to watch stuff like Pulp Fiction (which I didn't understand) and From Dusk Till Dawn (which was my favourite film). I remember getting angry when they wouldn't let me watch Nightmare on Elm Street, and then there was The Evil Dead fiasco as well. They knew what we could handle so just guided our viewing rather than controlling it. Also the kid shows in the 90s were a lot better than current ones (which are all 'good golly gosh goody two shoes' and I keep saying will produce a generation of serial killers, but I digress) so the transition from children's stuff to adult wasn't as harsh and I kinda grew up with them side by sid. I loved Are You Afraid of the Dark, Ren & Stimpy etc which are both more disturbing than the likes of The Bone Collector :/. I never really liked most kiddy stuff though. I'll try to scrape up an extensive list of my childhood favourites.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 3rd, 2014, 3:25 am

Turns out I already had a list, just added a few more titles: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000364985/.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 3rd, 2014, 1:04 pm

mightysparks on May 2 2014, 08:42:29 PM wrote:I rewatched it today/same day I posted.
What a coincidence then! :cheers: Perhaps if I saw it for the first time yesterday, I wouldn't have thought of it as really disturbing, but the movie made quite an impression on me when I was younger. And seeing those illustrations from the book right at the very beginning made me shiver a bit, because I knew what was coming.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 12th, 2014, 4:27 am

You're Next (2011)

Last watched: 22 August 2013

I had a FrightFest revisiting night a few days ago but this is the first chance I've had to do a write up. This was the film I was most excited for at FrightFest due to Benji-T hyping me up about it when he first saw it. It didn't disappoint but I was hesitant to give it an 8 (I gave both this and Stalled a 7.5, but later rounded to an 8 - I always round down initially until I decide whether it's a 7 or an 8). Anyway, on a second viewing it seemed to improve a lot. Every time I'm home alone at night, I get Looking for the Magic stuck in my head so I just decided to rewatch it.

One thing that I really like is just how good the actors are together - they really do feel like a family. The film starts off as a seemingly typical home invasion film. Although I like the concept of home invasion films, I rarely like them. This time around I noticed that the noises for the jump scares got suddenly loud - like jarringly obvious loud - and I don't know if this was to scare the audience or to 'spoof' jump scares. It does begin as a pretty effective 'scary' home invasion film, and combined with the chemistry of the family does make you hope they don't get killed.

Then there is a tone change around halfway where it becomes almost a black comedy - not in a bad way - but it's no longer the scary home invasion film. This is a good thing! I don't want to give away spoilers for people who haven't seen it so I'll leave it sort of vague. But this tonal change works so well because every character in the film is human. The invaders aren't invincible, ghostly entities. The victims aren't useless blundering fools or invincible heroes.

Another thing I noticed, which I sort of noticed the first time but didn't realise how obvious it was until the rewatch;
was Felix and Zee. I assumed instantly they had something to do with it all, but thought it may have been a red herring. However, the second time around I noticed that it wasn't even meant to be a twist. In that, although it was kind of obvious, it was because of the way Felix was acting rather than the writing? Like, he's obviously trying to get things moving a certain way, he's not bothering to put on a happy face and go through the motions like say, Crispin. I thought it was kind of cool, that it was obviously written in to his character to behave that way, rather than it just being a plot twist.
I also liked Sharni Vinson's character much more this time around. I didn't mind her to begin with, but I didn't like the way they explained her 'background'. It didn't bother me much this time, mostly because there was no foreshadowing earlier on in the film. The blender bit was still hilarious, though it does seem kind of ridiculous in context. The flaws from the first viewing were definitely not as obvious and it just seemed so much better than I originally thought. It's a great film; great tension, humour, cast, gore etc.

Cheap Thrills (2013)

Last watched: 24 August 2013

Originally this was my favourite film of FrightFest, but was quickly overtaken after I rewatched Stalled numerous times. Oddly, this didn't hold up as well on a second viewing. It may have been because the last viewing was so good and exactly what I felt like that this didn't quite work. It was still great, but it was just as great as it was originally whereas the other two have been miles better.

This isn't so much a horror film, but a black comedy thriller thing. I've seen the same concept in a few films since and none come close to how well it's handled in this film. It mixes humour and 'grossness' amazingly well. Cringing one minute to laughing out loud the next (and vice versa). It's not particularly deep in its themes and the characters are pretty stereotyped - you do know where it's going the whole time, but it's ok because it's the journey that matters. I did take issue with the simplicity of it this time though, it's a strength and a weakness. It never feels like it's trying to say anything, just trying to entertain you. Which is fine with me, but on a second viewing it lacked that second layer to discover. And that sex scene is still hilarious and the most uncomfortable thing to sit through. I almost died laughing both times.

Anyway, it's still a good film, but worked much better the first time around.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 31st, 2014, 7:22 pm

Had to take some medicine that I have a bad reaction to which makes me hell derpy and sleepy, so I thought I'd do some rewatches. Decided on the X-Men films (aside from The Last Stand because no).

X-Men (2000)

Last watched: 15 March 2012
Original Rating: 9/10

Been in the mood to rewatch the original X-Men's since seeing Days of Future Past. I always loved both X-Men films, though X2 was my favourite. This one felt aged a little bit and seemed less 'exciting'. The characters weren't as rich and interesting as I remembered, though not terrible. And the plot/action didn't seem as developed as I thought it had been either. That's not to say it was bad - it was still pretty fun - but far from flawless. The acting is kinda all over the place too. Paquin and Berry are horrible. Also I find it bizarre how villainous McKellan is in this compared to how 'kindly' he is in LOTR. When I first watched LOTR I didn't even know it was the same guy. It's odd that he's so iconic in both roles but they are polar opposites.

Anywho, enough of my ramblings.. Not as great as I remembered, but still very good.

X2 (2003)

Last watched: 25 August 2007
Original Rating: 9/10

As mentioned previously, this was always my favourite film of the series. When it first came out it was briefly my favourite film, as you can see here:

Bit of an overreaction (and back when I was sort of all or nothing with ratings), but still a very good film. Firmly remains my favourite of the series. This one feels less like a cheesy introduction and the mutant/human conflict feels more real. I also like the mutant/mutant conflict. Not a big fan of Jean Grey's extra screen time, because she's just not a very strong or interesting character (same goes for Storm). The action and mutant-y displays are all fun and it really makes the most of those elements. Also been reminded how much better Romijn is as Mystique. I always liked Mystique in these films but Lawrence is so terrible I'd forgot how cool she'd been.

X-Men: First Class (2011)

Last watched: 6 June 2011

What I mostly remembered from when I first saw it was that I thought Fassbender and McAvoy were great and the supporting cast was pretty bad. And thought more or less the same thing this time around. It's not a bad film and it seemed a lot more solid to me on a rewatch, but it really lies on Fassbender and McAvoy bringing everything to it. I also remember that when I saw it and Fassbender did that scary laugh, the whole cinema just went silent and then everyone laughed nervously. It was hilarious.

The supporting good guy mutants are pretty pathetic; Lawrence is a terrible actress and can't express emotion, after rewatching the other two I realised just how horrible she is as Mystique. She's a cool villain in the original films, just a cry-baby teenager in this one. Likewise for the rest of them. The original films were far from subtle, but dealt with the whole 'we are different' thing in a better way. This takes the easy way out of having the supporting people act like outcast teenagers and are completely unlikable and boring. Rose Byrne is pointless and offers nothing as usual.

And the villains are uninteresting as well. I find Magneto vs Professor X much more interesting because their relationship allows for greater conflict, but the bad guys in this film are just nothing. I don't really care what happens to them. Bacon is ok in the role, but his character doesn't have a lot of depth. Aside from all the complaints, it's not a bad film and I can enjoy it despite that, but it's a bit annoying. It's fun, Fassbender and McAvoy are great, but in some ways lacks a little maturity.

And jesus christ Michael Fassbender. And that turtleneck. God I love turtlenecks.

Kasparius

Post by Kasparius » May 31st, 2014, 7:25 pm

Dolphwin just requested that the thread be redubbed "Huh? Mighty actually loves mainstream trash?"
Last edited by Kasparius on May 31st, 2014, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » May 31st, 2014, 7:26 pm

Kasparius on May 31 2014, 01:25:30 PM wrote:Dolphwin just request that the thread be redubbed "Huh? Mighty actually loves mainstream trash?"
:lol:
ICM-profile

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 31st, 2014, 7:33 pm

Oh I forgot to mention it was because of First Class that the "mainstream trash" quote came about. Another reason to like the film :D

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 31st, 2014, 7:34 pm

Love that picture you posted for First Class. Demonstrates your point about Lawrence, maybe? Everyone is looking at something in the sky but she's off looking at craft services or something.

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » May 31st, 2014, 7:41 pm

Kasparius on May 31 2014, 01:25:30 PM wrote:Dolphwin just requested that the thread be redubbed "Huh? Mighty actually loves mainstream trash?"
Btw mighty what do you though of the new one? Magneto was a much much better villain. And Mystique was less whiney (maybe dumber though).

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 31st, 2014, 11:15 pm

SkilledLunatic on May 31 2014, 01:41:51 PM wrote:
Kasparius on May 31 2014, 01:25:30 PM wrote:Dolphwin just requested that the thread be redubbed "Huh? Mighty actually loves mainstream trash?"
Btw mighty what do you though of the new one? Magneto was a much much better villain. And Mystique was less whiney (maybe dumber though).
I liked it but prefer First Class. I felt like FC was more about the characters and their internal struggles, whereas DoFP was more about action (and I suppose a representation of their struggles being expressed externally). Mystique was still pretty much a waste of time though, she seems to think everything revolves around her and just causes too many issues that wouldn't happen if she would just use her brain.

SkilledLunatic

Post by SkilledLunatic » June 1st, 2014, 12:03 am

mightysparks on May 31 2014, 05:15:52 PM wrote:
SkilledLunatic on May 31 2014, 01:41:51 PM wrote:
I liked it but prefer First Class. I felt like FC was more about the characters and their internal struggles, whereas DoFP was more about action (and I suppose a representation of their struggles being expressed externally). Mystique was still pretty much a waste of time though, she seems to think everything revolves around her and just causes too many issues that wouldn't happen if she would just use her brain.
Yes, Xavier struggles were given little time but I think these characters are so known to us already, after these many films...Besides the world was ending, survival can unify everything, if the world ended, your opinions and internal struggles wouldn't matter much. It may be different on the next one, I don't know I never read comics or anything like that.