Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Sibiriada, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2G: Russia vs Portugal (Aug 6th), Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

¶ Short of the Day #107: Cyanide & Happiness - Opposite Day

Perception de Ambiguity

¶ Short of the Day #107: Cyanide & Happiness - Opposite Day

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » June 2nd, 2017, 11:08 am

"Short of the Day" is the daily discussion of a short.

Tasks:
1) Watch.
2) Discuss.
3) Send me your suggestions for the next Short of the Day per PM, along with links to the shorts and comments, questions for the other users to think about, and/or info about the short.

Detailed project introduction & index: here

Cyanide & Happiness - Opposite Day (Rob DenBleyker, 2014) :ICM: :imdb:

Length: 1 minute 18 seconds

Suggested by: Carmel1379

'Cyanide & Happiness' has a continually growing number of comics and shorts, with varying degrees of humour, so they might as well get a central representative outpost (so please post your favourite C&H comics, shorts; I will).

'Opposite Day' isn't my favourite of theirs, but it gets dark and funny pretty quickly, showing how the fabric of society can be wrecked by reversing people's positions, with astounding implications. It's about sending a message. Everything burns.

Comments by: Carmel1379
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on June 2nd, 2017, 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » June 2nd, 2017, 1:00 pm

I'm not too taken by that one. From the very few I have rated on IMDb I rated "Ted Bear 2" the highest, which is 7 minutes long. I won't post it.

Instead I'll post some comics, all old ones because back in 2011 I posted a personal Top 15 on another forum, so I don't necessarily endorse them anymore but it should still be fun for me as well to see them again. I think the comics have gotten very mediocre anyway in the past few years and their videos to me have also become mostly downright awful in the past year or so. Anyway, in addition to the Top 15 I also highlighted two more comics around that time so I'll start with those.

The 'Memento' of C&H comics:

Then this ingenious trap:

Now here's that Top 15:

Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on June 2nd, 2017, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » June 2nd, 2017, 2:51 pm

I still watch all of their weekly videos, despite the drop in quality. This recent one is fairly good, I usually like scenarios with Body Snatcher-ish beings and one guy gradually getting fucked as he goes through life:

We talked briefly about 'Therapy' on FG, when it was released, I think we both agreed it's one of their best:

At the same time I seem to recall I mentioned 'La Comédie':

Also, in another thread on this forum I mentioned how 'Tortoise' is one of my favourites. I might as well repost it:

I also like the first 3 minutes of this (but 'The Depressing Episode' is probably the best of the "show" series):

Unto the comics. All of yours are amazing(ly wicked), I especially like #5-#1. Here are the ones I came across and thought were worth saving:

Last edited by Carmel1379 on June 2nd, 2017, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » June 2nd, 2017, 7:30 pm

It may or may not be as much rooted in a difference in Weltanschauung as it is in a decrease of quality, because "Seriously" is fun for much of its runtime, but the ending is neither a good punchline nor works as an anti-joke for me.

"Therapy" is awesome. I probably said the same thing back then, but it is the Charlie Kaufman film of C&H shorts, though it probably resonates a little differently for me watching it now. It reminds me of the Werner Herzog interview when he was shitting on psycho therapy, saying something to the extent that he doesn't believe that we are meant to put a spotlight on everything that goes on in our minds, it would make a person's mind as uninhabitable as a room that is totally lit in every corner.

And I probably said about 'La Comédie' that it is a nice idea nicely executed with an extremely obvious punchline (again it registers as neither a punchline nor an anti-joke for me).

I saw 'Tortoise' when you posted it. Nice one.

'The Depressing Episode' is very good. Less a profound Charlie Kaufman film and more just depressing for its own sake but for a comedy series I guess that's good enough.

I like the IQ one and the "Stop Drinking." one. I already knew the masturbation one and the internet one (aka "the OTHER masturbation one) and those are favorites for me as well.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on June 2nd, 2017, 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » June 2nd, 2017, 7:47 pm

This classic is still my favorite:

As far as comics go, this one first came to mind:

The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » June 4th, 2017, 4:51 pm

I don't get it, Cynical, nobody dies in those or at least gets so depressed that they want to kill themselves, where is the joke?

Now this is a classic of "Tortoise" proportions:

Speaking of classics, the Sad Larry series is priceless:

Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on June 4th, 2017, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » January 27th, 2018, 10:35 pm

They made a new Larry for New Years but it sucks, so I won't post it.

This comic, however, is (but it's probably an older, repurposed one):

Last edited by Carmel1379 on January 27th, 2018, 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » January 28th, 2018, 12:10 pm

I love C&H. This short is exactly what I would want from them - normal everyday situations taken to the absurd extreme. Simple, yet darkly hilarious.