Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th), 1951 (Sep 4th), 500<400 (Sep 23rd)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

¶ Short of the Day #103: Zone

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 29th, 2017, 2:39 pm

I'll just drop the link to this, to connect nodes, frame these linked pictures on the wall and hollowly stare at those semi-accessible memories in a locked room, filled with objects reminding of the passing of time. This person cannot drive, he's terminally ambushed, becoming an old man, filled with regret, waiting to die alone, surrounded by ambient spectres and everything Itoian.

There are some resemblances to Schneider and Beckett's film 'Film', both films have a central character that evades being clearly perceived, moves around the room and confronts artefacts of his life in his apartment/basement. There's a very abstract feeling to both of them, and a shrewd, cold way of dispatching existential horror unto the viewer.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » May 29th, 2017, 3:33 pm

Carmel1379 on May 29 2017, 08:39:32 AM wrote:d-d-d-d-drop the link
Thanks for the comment. It's my favorite Takashi Ito but I haven't rewatched it for this so I can't say much about it now, I certainly did perceive it strongly as existential horror and I think it was very much about memory and time for me.

I generally like those later Takashi Ito films (especially 'Dizziness' and 'A Silent Day') which have an abstract narrative and seem somewhat personal instead of (relatively) coldly structural, but his experience with more rigorously structural films serves him well with them and I also find them pretty effective as horror which to me is always a plus.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on May 29th, 2017, 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.