Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Results), Romance (Aug 28th), 1951 (Sep 4th), 500<400 (Sep 23rd)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

¶ Short of the Day #99: Tame Impala: Let It Happen

Perception de Ambiguity

¶ Short of the Day #99: Tame Impala: Let It Happen

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » May 24th, 2017, 9:59 am

"Short of the Day" is the daily discussion of a short.

Tasks:
1) Watch.
2) Discuss.
3) Send me your suggestions for the next Short of the Day per PM, along with links to the shorts and comments, questions for the other users to think about, and/or info about the short.

Detailed project introduction & index: here

Tame Impala: Let It Happen (David Wilson, 2015) :ICM: :imdb:
Length: 4 minutes 16 seconds

Suggested by: Carmel1379

Humans are the first(?) terrestrial animals to technologically achieve aviation, radically steering its evolution into "modernity". So the everyman walks across the ads-ridden airport (note "Camus" around 0:20), hurriedly, to reach his TERMINAL and swiftly travel to another part of the world. Hence George Carlin is quite right in saying that "flying on the airlines" is something we all have in common.

Another thing that we all have in common is dying. Flying will likely precipitate many thoughts of existential threats, as an inhospitable environment that suffocates and pulls one down to certain death is only thinly metallo-plastically separated from the carrier one's inside and shares with single-serving friends, meals, ... A linked theme is definitely alienation and dissociation, 'Fight Club' and 'Anomalisa' being two good examples that prominently feature aviation and these themes, and thus would liken to this short in some respects.

Anyway, I think the music video is pretty self-explanatory, it's quite captivating and wrenching. I find the music palatable too.

Comments by: Carmel1379
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 24th, 2017, 3:23 pm

My friend and I were obsessed with this last year, it's such a good high song and the clip is super cool.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT