Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Results), Mini-series (Feb 29th), 2009 awards (Mar 3rd), Favorite Movies (Mar 21st), Doubling the Canon (Mar ??)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: Doa al karawan, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st), 1E: Czechia vs France vs Georgia vs Mexico (Mar 18th)

Game of Thrones

peeptoad

Re: Game of Thrones

Post by peeptoad » September 5th, 2019, 1:04 pm

I was careful not to read past page 8 or so in this thread since I haven't seen season 8 yet. I just finished s7 last week and wanted to voice a few prelim thoughts:

Of the main character slate Arya is my favorite... pretty easily (and she has been seen season 1). I also quite like Tyrion. And, although he was a slimeball of the highest order, I really liked Petyr Baelish. Aiden Gillen did a fantastic job with the character; love the way he was played him with all his little mannerisms and manipulations and hidden emotions. Also like The Hound... waiting to see what ultimately happens with him. Joffrey was my favorite character to hate, although Ramsay Snow got close.

There was a noticeable drop off after season 5 for me... a slight decline maybe during season 5 as compared to 1-4 (I assume due to lack of material from the books since they weren't available), but 6 was noticeably weaker until the penultimate episode. The Battle of the Bastards and the Sept exploding were the absolute highlights of 6. Season 7 was decent. I enjoyed it more than almost any other TV series I've seen, but it was still lesser than what preceded it.
I suspect season 8 might disappoint me since it seemed to incur the wrath of the devout fans... we'll see. I'm waiting until after the Oct challenge to go there. Can't have anything interfering with the horror flicks.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » December 9th, 2019, 1:28 pm

only 2 more episodes left, The Bells and The Iron Throne ... and I've still avoided reading anything about the ending/finale.

I've no clue why the fan base went so ballistic in this season though as it's about as good as 7 so far, and that one paled to 6, which was weaker than almost all that came before it. I think people just like complaining about anything they can these days, but I'll reserve further comments on this until I see the last 2 eps. Most TV series falter towards their conclusions since they normally only extend past a certain point due to the creators milking money... and money does absolutely kill creativity, uniqueness and spark. If the ending of GoT is not as bad as the X-Files then I will consider it a rare success among TV series regardless of now it ends.

The battle with the Night King was predictable, but still moderately enjoyable...it was vastly inferior to the Battle of the bastards though. The entire sequence seemed a rather hollow shell of the battle sequences that preceded it (there is not topping that one ep in s6, as far as fighting goes) and the Night King was removed too easily (though I love what Arya did to him). I find it odd that the entire supernatural element meant to represent the ultimate force of evil (prob Cersei in reality), was removed so easily... within one ep they were over and done with. Curious to see how it wraps up from here.

Oh, and I love Jaime and Brienne together... that's more real than reality and they are PERFECT for each other imo.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 9th, 2019, 11:14 pm

Curious to read your thoughts on the last two!

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » December 10th, 2019, 10:52 am

outdoorcats wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 11:14 pm
Curious to read your thoughts on the last two!
Well, my prelim thoughts on the penultimate, which I watched last night:
1. suck-ass! on Jaime going back to Cersei :verymad: I had just commented on how much I liked him with Brienne too.
2. the entire King's Landing battle was fun to watch due to the action and some of the effects (and some of the background shots were great), but it felt slightly hollow (and truthfully it lasted too long... even the piece with the Clegane Bros duking it out felt a little stretched to me).
3. the turn with Daenerys didn't surprise me much; I anticipated something like that, though maybe not quite in that manner....

I also wanted to see Cersei suffer on the way out. She did suffer a bit (emotionally and out of fear), but not nearly enough for how much I loved to hate her character. Her death, in particular, felt underplayed. This and the "hollow" feeling I alluded to may be why fans were so critical of this season. I'm still enjoying it though. It's way better final season than the X-Files got and, so far, better than many other series that jumped the shark at some point (again- happens to them all to some extent when the money becomes the primary motivator imo).
I'll chime in once more after I've seen the final ep.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » December 11th, 2019, 10:47 am

Aaaaand done!
Season 8 was by far the weakest of the series, but I still enjoyed it. My main gripe is that the events seemed rushed and there were far too many "convenient" moments (e.g. after the fleet is destroyed Euron walking ashore in exactly the same spot that Jaime just happened to be occupying, and Tyrion finding Jaime's metal hand in the rubble and uncovering a perfectly positioned Jaime and Cersei, who are barely even scratched even though an entire citadel came crashing down on top of them). Yeah, right.
BUT, the acting was exceptional as it has been for much of the series and the effects and action sequences were great. So I took those away as positives from s8. If there had been a season 9 it would have allowed for more character buildup (in 8) to the events that (would have) transpired in 9. That would have been an improvement imho.

Despite flaws towards the end Game of Thrones is in my top 5 all time TV series though, and I despise most series, so that's saying something. I could care less about most TV, but this I generally loved:

seasons 1-4 10/10
season 5 9/10
season 6 8/10 (the final 2 eps highlighted this one)
season 7 7
season 8 6 (possibly a 5, if compared to all that preceded)

:cheers:

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » December 12th, 2019, 12:28 am

I actually think just a couple more episodes would have tidied up Season 8 nicely. The main issue is that I think D&D wanted each season to be more packed with "big" moments than the last and assumed that would be received better, for example like the final 8 episodes of Breaking Bad. The difference is that BB only had about 7 core characters and the final 8 episodes therefore aren't wall to wall action, but a lot of slower actor-based moments that just seem bigger because they were built up to for so long. So you have some rushed moments like us not seeing what exactly prompts Grey Worm to change his mind on Jon Snow, despite the fact they were investing in him more and more in the last two seasons.

I would give Season 8 a 7/10, agree that it's the weakest season, but not by a lot. The Long Night might be my favorite episode of the show. For sheer intensity and spectacle I'm not sure it can be beat, though Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards weren't slacking off either.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » December 12th, 2019, 1:10 pm

outdoorcats wrote:
December 12th, 2019, 12:28 am
I actually think just a couple more episodes would have tidied up Season 8 nicely. The main issue is that I think D&D wanted each season to be more packed with "big" moments than the last and assumed that would be received better, for example like the final 8 episodes of Breaking Bad. The difference is that BB only had about 7 core characters and the final 8 episodes therefore aren't wall to wall action, but a lot of slower actor-based moments that just seem bigger because they were built up to for so long. So you have some rushed moments like us not seeing what exactly prompts Grey Worm to change his mind on Jon Snow, despite the fact they were investing in him more and more in the last two seasons.

I would give Season 8 a 7/10, agree that it's the weakest season, but not by a lot. The Long Night might be my favorite episode of the show. For sheer intensity and spectacle I'm not sure it can be beat, though Hardhome and Battle of the Bastards weren't slacking off either.
My 5-6 rating for season 8 may have been a little harsh, but I can't rate it above a strong 6 when directly comparing it to the near-perfection of s1-4...the vibe and heart form the earlier parts of the series just weren't there for me personally. I do agree that it's not nearly as weak as the rabid fans have made it out to be. It's ridiculous that there was some sort of poll started in order to get the producers to re-shoot season 8 because the fans didn't like it. That's an insult to pretty much all the cast and crew imo. Still think the Battle of the Bastards trumps the The Long Night though... I saw that ep from s6 back over the summer when I got some of the blu rays from the library and put that ep on as I was getting ready to make dinner one night after work. I never ate dinner... never moved from the position I was in the couch actually. :D

And thanks for mentioning Breaking Bad. That is one of the very, very rare series that I plan on watching some day. In fact, based on your statement in conjunction with my friends' raving on and on when they were actively watching it- that viewing may come sooner rather than later. :thumbsup: