Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, October nominations (Sep 27th)

Game of Thrones

RedHawk10

Game of Thrones

Post by RedHawk10 » July 29th, 2017, 10:40 pm

monty on Jul 29 2017, 04:23:59 AM wrote:Am I the only one feeling that the show has taken a dip in quality this season? Lots of clunky dialogue and egregious filler material. And the show's predictability is beginning to bore me - it seems the showrunners have been paying close attention to fan boards. Next up: a steamy sex scene with Tormund and Brienne, with lots of juicy steak chewing thrown in for good measure...
I thought there was a pretty huge drop off in writing quality in Season 5, and although Season 6 was a definite improvement, it's still pretty clunky and lame at times.

I haven't started watching Season 7 yet. I'm a huge fan of the books, but the absurd waiting time for The Winds of Winter has kind of killed my interest in anything Game of Thrones related.
Last edited by RedHawk10 on July 30th, 2017, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » July 31st, 2017, 12:09 pm

This episode was a perfect reminder of why I always emphasized with Jon a lot more than I did with Daenerys. I'm quite enjoying the chess game between the two queens (their advisors is probably more accurate).
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

:ICM: :letbxd: :imdb:

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » August 1st, 2017, 3:47 am

funkybusiness on Jul 29 2017, 01:08:44 AM wrote:
Lilarcor on Jul 28 2017, 07:59:20 PM wrote:Been thinking about the last episode (ep. 2) a bit and I predict / hope that
ridiculous theoryShow
Gendry will pick up Reek in his rowboat in the next episode. Boom, Iron Throne curveball. B)
(I haven't read around if this is realistic because I like to be surprised by the show)
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
so...Gendry's been rowing a boat for...3 years now? His muscles will be even more fangirl/boy-enticing.
Oh well. :/ (u)

I think it's unfortunate for the show that the actors playing Jon and Daenerys aren't outstanding actors like those playing their advisors (Davos and Tyrion). The scene(s) with all four of them didn't work fully for me because of that.

algroth

Post by algroth » August 1st, 2017, 10:53 pm

Lilarcor on Jul 31 2017, 09:47:41 PM wrote:
funkybusiness on Jul 29 2017, 01:08:44 AM wrote:
Lilarcor on Jul 28 2017, 07:59:20 PM wrote:Been thinking about the last episode (ep. 2) a bit and I predict / hope that
ridiculous theoryShow
Gendry will pick up Reek in his rowboat in the next episode. Boom, Iron Throne curveball. B)
(I haven't read around if this is realistic because I like to be surprised by the show)
so...Gendry's been rowing a boat for...3 years now? His muscles will be even more fangirl/boy-enticing.
Oh well. :/ (u)

I think it's unfortunate for the show that the actors playing Jon and Daenerys aren't outstanding actors like those playing their advisors (Davos and Tyrion). The scene(s) with all four of them didn't work fully for me because of that.
I think Harrington started off pretty poorly in the series but has progressively gotten better, whereas Clarke has essentially wore her stoic portrayal of Dany thin long ago. I quite like Harrington in the role now and think he delivered that scene alright, I felt the awkwardness to his part was deliberate. Personally whatever qualms I had about that scene is more to do with Dany's almost nonsensical persistence on her claim to the *Seven* Kingdoms - you reckon someone intent in breaking the wheel and who's demonstrated a strong desire for justice and social reform would allow a leader supported by his followers to remain that leader. Her tunnel vision is obviously part of the ongoing conflict, but it feels forced, as do so many of the twists and plot points so far this season, really.
Last edited by algroth on August 1st, 2017, 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 7th, 2017, 3:02 am

This season was too slow some said?

Similar to The Battle of the Bastards, my heart won't stop racing uncontrollably. My hands are shaking. Shit.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » August 7th, 2017, 9:42 pm

Only 3 episodes left this season. It's going by so quickly...fuck! It was expected that things will start heating up early this season (pun intended). Great fucking battle.

I'm convinced we'll see some White Walkers in the next episode and I'm also convinced that by the end of this season, Cersei will be dead. I think the entirety of the next season will be centered on the Daenerys and Jon Snow conflict on one side and White Walkers on the other.

Oh, btw, those spiral symbols must have some major importance, they're being repeated all throughout the series since literally the first episode. I'm not sure what they mean, but they might hint at a certain location or something.
The truth is you're Donny, and I'm Walter. But I'm tryin', Ringo, I'm tryin' real hard to be The Dude.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 7th, 2017, 10:07 pm

spiral symbols? omg Game of Thrones is a prequel or a sequel to Gurren Lagann.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » August 7th, 2017, 10:17 pm

I've never watched Gurren Lagann, so I hope you'll forgive me for not getting the joke.

Anyway, I googled the instances I remembered of this shape appearing:

I'm pretty sure there have been more, but can't find any atm.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 7th, 2017, 11:17 pm

A different symbol, not quite a spiral, more like &#20013; appeared in episode one, the butchered wildling bodies, and was on the walls in the cave in last night's episode.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 8th, 2017, 3:05 am

I just assumed the spirals were a symbol of the children of the forest, and the reason the WWers were making those symbols was foreshadowing the revelation that they were created by the children of the forest. But perhaps there's yet a deeper meaning to them.

I thought Cersei for sure was done last season, but after she made it (and made the mother of all comebacks) to this one I'm now convinced she's making it to the final season. D&D enjoy working with Lena Headey, and writing for that character too much--I think (she's kind of their Tony Soprano character, someone who you 95% hate but can never quite 100% hate because of those flashes of humanity now and again).

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » August 8th, 2017, 5:36 pm

Yeah, I remember that. It's this one:

However, this might've happened:

Last edited by Cynical Cinephile on August 8th, 2017, 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 8th, 2017, 7:52 pm

second image isn't loading, you'll probably have to rehost it on imgur or something.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » August 8th, 2017, 10:30 pm

How about now?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 8th, 2017, 10:34 pm

bingo

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 14th, 2017, 10:04 am

ya killin me Gilly killin me

HVM

Post by HVM » August 14th, 2017, 1:22 pm

Finally an episode this season I thoroughly enjoyed.
#TeamBaelish
1918 - 100 - 2018

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » August 15th, 2017, 9:49 pm

Littlefinger is a master manipulator. I kind of miss his back and forth with Varys. I enjoyed his moments in the latest episode as well. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the character, but I like having him in the show. I genuinely never know what his next move is. He's one of those guys you love to hate.

In other news, I guess we got confirmation that Jon Snow is the legitimate heir to the Iron Throne.

Some shit's about to go down in the next episode.

HYPE!

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 21st, 2017, 6:54 am

RIP Dennis Pennis

also, did anyone else think that was some bad editing towards the end of the Dany/Jon scene at the end of the episode? Like, they held too long on the hand holding, and then Jon didn't move at all I THOUGHT HE WAS DEAD. SHE KILLED HIM WITH HER TOUCH.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 21st, 2017, 7:41 am

oh also dragon lady said multiple times this episode that the dragons were going to be the ONLY children she is EVER going to have so she's definitely going to get pregnant, right?

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » August 21st, 2017, 4:16 pm

I don't think you need to put anything under spoiler tags, this is a topic dedicated to discussion about Game of Thrones. It would be silly for someone to read it if they haven't seen it. Just my thoughts, I don't know if others agree.

Anyway, episode 6 was certainly the highlight of this, imo, very strong season. It showcases how big of a threat The Night King and his army of dead really is. For a moment there, I thought we've lost Tormund for good, but luckily The Hound was there. I loved their chemistry in the episode.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 22nd, 2017, 3:34 am

*spoiler* warning just in case. But like Cynical said, are you really reading this thread if you haven't caught up?

Weird disconnect between the critics (both professional and armchair critics who mostly seemed highly critical of this episode) and the vast majority of fans who seemed to love it. Honestly I know people are complaining heavily about the "fast travel" (though until this episode, there was no proof I'm aware of the "fast travel" wasn't just lots of time passing, and even in this episode the "fast travel" was only the fast travel of ravens and dragons flying - which I imagine is pretty fast). And people are angry at the tension between Arya and Sansa, or Bran losing his humanity. I don't get that. A lot of the same critics complained about fan-service last year, and then get quickly frustrated as soon as they refused to cater to fan service this year. Suddenly the natural evolution of characters based on what they've been through is "bad writing".

Not that it was a perfect episode. For an "Episode 9" focused on the White Walker conflict it wasn't as gripping and heart-racing as, say, "Hardhome" or "The Door" (or even non-WW episodes such as Battle of the Bastards or The Spoils of War). As gorgeous as the direction was, I was surprised Taylor didn't play up the buildup to the re-intro of the army of the dead more. And if we're using the classic "suicide mission war film" trope for comparison (like say The Dirty Dozen) you can't help but feel the writers chickened out by only killing Thoros among them. Aren't there supposed to be only one or two survivors on these types of missions? (I was guessing Jon and The Hound would make it, and the rest were toast buttered with fan tears).

These minor criticisms aside (which mostly add up to, "it was better than 99% of TV but other GoT episodes were impossibly better") it was an awesome episode which sets up the final 7 episodes of the show nicely.
Last edited by outdoorcats on August 22nd, 2017, 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 22nd, 2017, 6:50 am

If there have been any genuine mismatches in regards to travel, it was last season. this year they've been consistent, just with the expectation that every scene cut you're fast-forwarding weeks.

slylingual24

Post by slylingual24 » August 22nd, 2017, 10:35 pm

I feel like i'm of a very few that were left relatively unaffected by emotional weight of Danny losing one of her dragon's in this last episode. The episode itself was epic, but the initial reactions had me hopeing for something i guess more fucked up. idk. The most fucked up moment for me was when Tormound went down. Yikes!

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 23rd, 2017, 12:50 am

Yeah I didn't care too much about the dragon beyond, "Oh shit now they have a dragon!" When it was Bronn vs. Drogon a couple of episodes ago I was 100% rooting for Bronn to kill the fuck out of him. :D

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » August 23rd, 2017, 8:13 am

It didn't help that Clarke's acting in those scenes was especially bad. I swear she gets worse every season, while everyone else grew into their roles.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 23rd, 2017, 8:38 am

but seriously which fucking dragon was it that died!?

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » August 23rd, 2017, 4:11 pm

funkybusiness on wrote:but seriously which fucking dragon was it that died!?
It was Viserion aka The Least Important Dragon. Although, now he is probably The Most Important Dragon. It's interesting, Daenerys named the 3 dragons after the 3 most important men in her life at the time, 2 brothers and a husband and of those 3, Viserys was the only one that was actually cruel towards her. 6 years later, the dragon named after him turns to the dark side, so to speak. One could say it was a bit of foreshadowing.
metaller on wrote:It didn't help that Clarke's acting in those scenes was especially bad. I swear she gets worse every season, while everyone else grew into their roles.
I agree, I feel like a lot of the actors weren't as good in the early seasons, but developed a lot over the years, Kit Harrington is a great example, imo. He's really good as Jon Snow nowadays, but Emilia Clarke just isn't a good actress, no matter how you spin it. It doesn't help that she's surrounded by green screen a lot.

And yes, I didn't feel sad for the dragon, for me it was "oh fuck, Night King's gonna have a dragon now" as well.

slylingual24

Post by slylingual24 » August 23rd, 2017, 4:40 pm

metaller on Aug 23 2017, 02:13:16 AM wrote:It didn't help that Clarke's acting in those scenes was especially bad. I swear she gets worse every season, while everyone else grew into their roles.
Very true. A couple episodes back, the more Cersi-centric one if i'm not mistaken, really highlights this discrepancy between acting skill. But basically, Cersi is just doing her thing, being cruel and what have you, but what really stood out where her expressions are about as frozen as her heart. But with Danny, it seems like she's never really sure where to take her emotions. I don't think this is intended either, i just think she's a bad actress.

slylingual24

Post by slylingual24 » August 25th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Lest we forget in these trying times of shitty eyebrow queen, that Jon has only BENT the knee once...and it was with Ygritte... in the cave. This sunday i'll be drinking to my one to true queen.

Miss you Ygritte

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » August 25th, 2017, 5:06 pm

slylingual24

Post by slylingual24 » August 26th, 2017, 2:41 am

^ that actually makes me very happy.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 28th, 2017, 7:01 am

"How do you answer these charges...
LORD BAELISH"

OOOOOOH that's some Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney shit

also

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » August 28th, 2017, 5:05 pm

funkybusiness on Aug 28 2017, 01:01:18 AM wrote:Image
Where's the most important title?

"The Knower of Nothing"

"The White Wolf" could be mentioned, as well.

On an unrelated note, Sansa learned to play the game well; Baelish's downfall was a great and a very satisfying moment.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 28th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Did anyone else think "the meeting" went on way too long? I mean in that it lasted...almost half the episode, they obviously thought their ruin set was way cooler than it actually was, and it was the only thing this season they've actually given enough time to breath? Like, everything else seemed rushed this season except this sequence, so it seemed unnecessarily slow in comparison.

Also, Theon matters once again? Remember? That guy who has been lurking on the edge of scenes the last couple seasons?

But yeah, yesterday's Winterfell scene made up for all the boring post-Jon Winterfell scenes this season.

Coco LaBerge

Post by Coco LaBerge » August 28th, 2017, 10:19 pm

funkybusiness on Aug 28 2017, 01:01:18 AM wrote:"How do you answer these charges...
LORD BAELISH"

OOOOOOH that's some Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney shit

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That part was pretty cheesy but alright really.

"I'm going rebuild the wall, block by block, it's going to be a more glorious wall than ever, and those white walkers are going to pay for it, every penny, mark my words!"

Dronald J Snow rightful president of the north.

ChrisReynolds
Donator

Post by ChrisReynolds » August 29th, 2017, 1:50 pm

I enjoyed the first half of this season, with episode 4 being a high point, but the writing on the final three episodes felt very weak, like they were maneuvering characters around for lots of reunions and the sense of danger and chaos being lost.

Littlefinger's story thread petering out was one of the worst examples. The show hasn't known what to do with him since season 4, but even so, it's been established that he's a master of manipulation, with a large spy network and with the armies of The Vale at his command arguably the one person in the seven kingdoms with the most military and economic might (The Vale's armies have suffered no losses and have their farms and food supply have been untouched by the wars). He's probably also the richest person due to his embezzling and various holdings. Earlier this season he was saying "Every possible series of events is happening, all at once. Live that way and nothing will surprise you." His death should have been at the hands of a supernatural occurrence that he couldn't predict or something worthy of the most Machiavellian plotter of the series. Yet in this episode he's completely caught off guard by Sansa charging him with all the evil stuff he's done right in front of her. He stumbles around the great hall stammering in a way we've never seen him before. Then he commands his vassals to return to The Vale with him and for some inexplicable reason they refuse and Arya cuts his throat. I'm guessing in the books he gets killed by the resurrected Catelyn Stark, but as she's not in the show they just had to remove him in this abrupt fashion.

Cynical Cinephile

Post by Cynical Cinephile » August 29th, 2017, 5:02 pm

I had no problem with the way Littlefinger died, it was a long time coming. He basically thought Sansa a lot, but he still considered her a naive child that he can easily play. Btw, he did basically get killed by a supernatural occurrence. Bran's abilities are a wild card he could not have predicted. The knight's of the Vale were never really at his command, their lord is Robyn Arryn. Royce acutally had a conflict with Littlefinger and now that the chance presented itself, he made no objection to destroy the pest that was Petyr Baelish.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » August 30th, 2017, 8:56 pm

Cynical Cinephile on Aug 29 2017, 11:02:51 AM wrote:I had no problem with the way Littlefinger died, it was a long time coming. He basically thought Sansa a lot, but he still considered her a naive child that he can easily play. Btw, he did basically get killed by a supernatural occurrence. Bran's abilities are a wild card he could not have predicted. The knight's of the Vale were never really at his command, their lord is Robyn Arryn. Royce acutally had a conflict with Littlefinger and now that the chance presented itself, he made no objection to destroy the pest that was Petyr Baelish.
Yup, agree with this. thought his demise was nicely done - combo of him underestimating his latest supposed puppets and a character who truly has the all-knowing abilities he'd believed himself to have. There's only so far a manipulator can get and he'd kinda run his course. Self-deception/over-inflated self-belief leading to downfall has been a long-running theme in the series.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » September 1st, 2017, 9:55 pm

I'm on the side that liked Littlefinger's death scene, overall...but like the above poster, slightly disappointed with some aspects of the show after episode four. Really just the one thing, and that's the show's sudden toothlessness. A few years ago in Season 5 this was the most ruthless show on television. The threat of that ruthlessness made episodes like "Battle of the Bastards" a year later as terrifying and nail biting as they were, and it was still working for episode 4 of this season, which left me breathing like I had just sprinted a couple of miles if I remember correctly.

But after the umpteenth "last minute rescue" scene things are starting to feel a little cheesy and not as suspenseful. Like how many times did the show build up a character's death this season only to back away? Yara in Ep. 2, Bronn in 4, Jaime (twice! in 4 and 7), Tormund and Beric twice (6 and 7), everyone else who went north of the wall in 6 (Jorah twice in one episode), Tyrion in 7, Sansa in Ep. 6, Arya in Ep. 7, Drogon the Dragon in Ep. 4...am I forgetting anyone? Not counting they were definitely trying to fake-foreshadow a Grey Worm death with his sex scene. Don't they need to thin the herd a little?

It might seem like a weird complaint to say, "I want this show to hurt me more," but there you go. :shrug: But it ties into the overall problem of the show not being as surprising as it was in seasons past. To be fair, there were lots of little surprises this season, but no big ones.

With 6 (possibly feature-length) episodes to go, I'm still hoping for another Red Wedding...sick bastard that I am.
Last edited by outdoorcats on September 1st, 2017, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » September 1st, 2017, 10:29 pm

outdoorcats on Sep 1 2017, 03:55:31 PM wrote:But after the umpteenth "last minute rescue" scene things are starting to feel a little cheesy and not as suspenseful. Like how many times did the show build up a character's death this season only to back away? Yara in Ep. 2, Bronn in 4, Jaime (twice! in 4 and 7), Tormund and Beric twice (6 and 7), everyone else who went north of the wall in 6 (Jorah twice in one episode), Tyrion in 7, Sansa in Ep. 6, Arya in Ep. 7, Drogon the Dragon in Ep. 4...am I forgetting anyone? Not counting they were definitely trying to fake-foreshadow a Grey Worm death with his sex scene. Don't they need to thin the herd a little?

It might seem like a weird complaint to say, "I want this show to hurt me more," but there you go. :shrug: But it ties into the overall problem of the show not being as surprising as it was in seasons past. To be fair, there were lots of little surprises this season, but no big ones.

With 6 (possibly feature-length) episodes to go, I'm still hoping for another Red Wedding...sick bastard that I am.
I don't think this is a weird complaint - it's a major problem for the show right now. It's getting too safe. GRRM's original story is partly about how vulnerable everyone is, no matter where you are or who you are. But the way the show shows Jon and Jaime et al constantly surviving in this season with fake cliffhangers this tension goes away. It is such sloppy writing to gain a short thrill, seems pretty pointless beyond that.

Hopefully GRRM's notes to the show creators for what happens at the end of Game of Thrones is detailed enough so that the showrunners can go back to mostly doing adapting of the book (script?) for the last six episodes, which they are pretty good at.