Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 1932 (Results), 1930s (Results), 2015 awards (May 23rd)
Challenges: Western, Iran, Cannes
Film of the Week: Ramrod, June nominations (May 24th)

Game of Thrones

mightysparks
Site Admin

Game of Thrones

Post by mightysparks » May 17th, 2012, 2:47 pm

Anyone here watching Game of Thrones? I put it off for ages because I thought it'd be lame and now it's the highlight of my week :P I've started reading the books now too because one hour a week isn't enough.

Arya and Jon are my favourite characters. Also like Tyrion a lot. And Sansa's an idiot, Joffrey's an evil douche and Daenerys is the lamest most annoying person ever. Daenerys' storyline is incredibly boring and the only one I don't like.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » May 17th, 2012, 3:23 pm

I guess this is book-spoiler free.

Season 2 is on the whole a step up from season one in my opinion, although I believe it must be very confusing for those who haven't read anything. The creators have done a good job developing some inner monologue from the book's POVs to the screen by adding new creative scenes without it seeming too much like the show sitting down with you to explain what is going on. Still, keeping track of all the kings/geography/side character relations and family trees must be kind of frustrating I guess. The one character which "inner monologue" hasn't translated well to the screen so far is Tyrion's in my opinion, but this may come later.

I don't think Jon Snow's storyline so far quite works in the TV series simply because the actor looks too old (iirc the kid is 15-16 in the book, been years since I read them), doesn't really make sense that he would be so awkward and oblivious about sex and women. Minor issue really and I like that storyline a lot in the book so glad they kept it even if it doesn't quite make sense. They really need to hurry up making the next few seasons though 'cause the problem with aging and child/teenage actors will only increase.

Another thing I find kind of odd is how the show takes every chance it's got to show some tits (apart from in Quarth for some reason, the clothing by women in Quarth in the book leaves one breast exposed at all time). I don't mind it too much but I do take it less seriously when what was in the book a wildling in her 40s who stabs her way to freedom is turned into a hot woman in her 20s fucking her way to the same freedom in the tv-series. The show does feature some great strong female characters though that makes up for it, but still it's kind of gotten ridiculous by now.

jgwr

Post by jgwr » May 17th, 2012, 3:24 pm

I started the first book, but it was a library loan and some prick reserved it before I was finished. Haven't got it since.

I have the first eight episodes of the first series (friend gave me them ages ago) but I still haven't watched them. Can't really be arsed with this sort of ongoing serial TV.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 17th, 2012, 3:30 pm

You can talk about the books as well, but as long as you put the comments in spoiler quotes (as well as any show spoilers..).

Jon is 14 in the first book. I literally sat stunned when I read that, I was just used to him being whatever age he is in the show. I think the 'awkward' thing makes sense because he seems kind of shy and hangs around in the background a lot. Someone mentioned that the show has purposely avoided mentioning most ages (I think they said Daenerys was like 12 in the books :/ ).

And yeah they do seem to be getting carried away with the nudity. It was used well to begin with, then they were like 'eh, whatever MOAR NUDITY'.

Wish the books weren't so damn long though. I have them on my iPhone and the text is tiny and the first one is still 1700 fecking pages :(
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

Kowry

Post by Kowry » May 17th, 2012, 3:30 pm

A friend gave me the books (the four that had come out at the time) a couple of years ago and I got hooked. Then came the series and I watched and enjoyed the first season quite a bit. I haven't yet bothered to watch the second season, I think I'll get to it soon but I'm in no real hurry. Haven't read the fifth book yet, either.

Tyrion and Arya are my favorite characters. I don't mind Daenerys, and Sansa's character gets more interesting in the later books, although she really was annoying at first.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » May 17th, 2012, 3:31 pm

mightysparks on May 17 2012, 08:47:41 AM wrote:Daenerys is the lamest most annoying person ever. Daenerys' storyline is incredibly boring and the only one I don't like.
Lots of changes here from the books (where her storyline is even more dull). Well she's 13 (again, doesn't look so in the series) and believe's she's got all this power and doesn't know what goes on in the world around her so yeah I sort of think you are supposed to hate her at least a little. I think Emilia Clarke plays the role well given that she doesn't physically match the character in the book.

Kowry

Post by Kowry » May 17th, 2012, 3:35 pm

mightysparks on May 17 2012, 09:30:29 AM wrote:Jon is 14 in the first book. I literally sat stunned when I read that, I was just used to him being whatever age he is in the show. I think the 'awkward' thing makes sense because he seems kind of shy and hangs around in the background a lot. Someone mentioned that the show has purposely avoided mentioning most ages (I think they said Daenerys was like 12 in the books :/ ).
Yeah, they had to make the characters older in the show because there would have been an outrage if they hadn't done that or left out much of the sex (Daenerys was 13 when she first, you know...).

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 17th, 2012, 3:35 pm

Lilarcor on May 17 2012, 09:31:46 AM wrote:
mightysparks on May 17 2012, 08:47:41 AM wrote:Daenerys is the lamest most annoying person ever. Daenerys' storyline is incredibly boring and the only one I don't like.
Lots of changes here from the books (where her storyline is even more dull). Well she's 13 (again, doesn't look so in the series) and believe's she's got all this power and doesn't know what goes on in the world around her so yeah I sort of think you are supposed to hate her at least a little. I think Emilia Clarke plays the role well given that she doesn't physically match the character in the book.
I liked her storyline at first, mostly because I liked Viserys and her getting sold off to some dude. Then 2 episodes later she was madly in love with him, and all 'my sun and stars' and I was like :yucky: Now she carries on about being a khaleesi every 5 seconds and carrying on about fecking dragons. I want to slap her all the time. The actress isn't bad I suppose, but I hate the character too much.

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » May 17th, 2012, 3:39 pm

The casting for Joffrey is so perfect. The way he looks and play the role... you just want to torture the guy. His acting career is sort of ruined forever because of this.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 17th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Yeah, I hate Joffrey, but in a good way. I was surprised at how good he was for a kid, then saw the guy is actually 19 :/ He looks about 10. He is one evil little dude.

TheRedDeath

Post by TheRedDeath » May 18th, 2012, 1:09 am

I watched the pilot a while ago and hated every second of it.
Now I'm reading the first book and I LOVE it. Arya and Tyrion are my favorite. Sansa and Ned are my least favorite.

I agree about Dany and the khal. Their relationship is so stupid and annoying.

sushantv10

Post by sushantv10 » May 22nd, 2012, 9:38 am

Downloaded the First Season last month. But not planning on watching anytime soon.

Seems its been a long time since i have watched a tv series. Guess Dexter Last season was my last one.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 22nd, 2012, 10:21 am

I love finding a new awesome TV show. My dad had all of season 1 + the first 4 eps of season 2 in 720p when I decided to check it out, so I got it all off him and finished it in a day. Don't need to go as crazy as I did, but it's worth a watch :P . It's very... well developed, it doesn't feel like 'fluff'.

I've been reading the first book during my breaks the last couple of days and I can't believe how closely it follows it so far. I read somewhere that Arya and Tywin's subplot isn't in the books though, but I haven't gotten that far yet. Although I like their subplot :(

TheRedDeath

Post by TheRedDeath » May 31st, 2012, 3:37 pm

I'm at about 40% into A Clash of Kings (I read it on my kindle, so idk the page number). :)
The Mountain That Rides (Gregor Clegane) creeps the hell out of me and the Lannisters are all awesome. Tyrion is my favorite and Jaime and Cersei need to become POV characters ASAP. :woot:
Last edited by TheRedDeath on May 31st, 2012, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 31st, 2012, 3:50 pm

I don't mind Jaime, but I find Cersei boring and annoying most of the time (in the show anyway, it seems she's always pulling the same facial expression). And damn it, I need to read more of the book. If it didn't hurt my eyes so much I'd have read more :'(

tourdesb

Post by tourdesb » May 31st, 2012, 5:02 pm

I've wanted to read the books for like 10 years but I wanted to wait until the last book is published.

But since everyone keeps talking about the TV series, I don't want to be spoiled so I started reading the books yesterday. As expected, I find it awesome !

Jon is my favourite character (Jon Snow, not Jon the Faroese).
Image Image Image

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 31st, 2012, 5:14 pm

Yay, more love for Jon! Jon Snow is much more awesome than Jon the Faroese :P

TheRedDeath

Post by TheRedDeath » May 31st, 2012, 10:45 pm

Ugh, Lena Headey is awful in everything I've seen her in. I hated her, the guy who play Jaime and the kid who plays Bran the most in what I've watched of the show.

Jon Snow is very cool. So is Ghost. And tumblr is full of people who hate him. <_< (Jon, not Ghost, of course.)
Last edited by TheRedDeath on May 31st, 2012, 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 1st, 2012, 2:45 am

She always has a form of this expression on her face:

It annoys the hell out of me and her teeth creep me out.

In other news, I had my first Game of Thrones dream last night. It was odd.

Rich

Post by Rich » June 1st, 2012, 4:08 pm

I haven't really been thrilled by this season until the last episode.

And I find Lena (and her teeth) attractive.

But then again...I find most of the adult women attractive on that show...OMG Charlie Chaplin's granddaughter!

And a Dickens family member was in the first season omg omg omg

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 1st, 2012, 4:42 pm

I find all the women on the show hideously ugly, not that it really matters to me :P . There's a smattering of attractive men who make the more boring scenes easier to watch though :whistling:

Nuclearplanet

Post by Nuclearplanet » June 1st, 2012, 5:13 pm

mightysparks on May 17 2012, 08:47:41 AM wrote:Anyone here watching Game of Thrones? I put it off for ages because I thought it'd be lame and now it's the highlight of my week :P I've started reading the books now too because one hour a week isn't enough.

Arya and Jon are my favourite characters. Also like Tyrion a lot. And Sansa's an idiot, Joffrey's an evil douche and Daenerys is the lamest most annoying person ever. Daenerys' storyline is incredibly boring and the only one I don't like.
Is It Like Dialogue like that of Thor and Gladiator??? If it isn't like that I might give it a go.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 1st, 2012, 5:18 pm

Not really, the dialogue is actually somewhat 'modern'. I was worried about that too, but it's not too bad. There's a bit of 'medieval fantasy' talk, but it's mostly very easy to listen to. Even the books are easy to read.

monty

Post by monty » June 4th, 2012, 3:24 pm

Great finale - loved the scenes with Daenerys and Tyrion, in particular. So who's stoked for season 3 now?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 4th, 2012, 3:28 pm

I miss it already :'( Disappointed in lack of Arya and Jon in the finale. To tide me over until season 3, I have the books to read, as well as True Blood returning soon to give me something to look forward to every week :P

Limedebois

Post by Limedebois » June 4th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Hum already third seasons?! I've seen the first episodes. Very good but a bit repetitive or with a forced mysterious plot. Peter Dinklage is absolutely fantastic. A lot of irony and authority.

What accent do they use? Always the same (and witch one) or do they speak differently (according to status and origins, North, etc.)?

epp

Post by epp » June 14th, 2012, 8:49 am

I totally agree.
Last edited by epp on June 14th, 2012, 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » August 1st, 2012, 3:59 am

For people who are reading/have read the books: How fecking often do they talk about food?? I complained about it to my dad on FB yesterday and he said: "yeah man, [name omitted in case of spoilers]'s wedding was boring me shitless with the 77 courses. I was ready to choke myself by the time [omitted for spoilers]. George RR Martin is a fat fucker. He must have written those bits while he was hungry".

It seems like we have to have detailed descriptions every time a character 'breaks their fast'. Drives me crazy.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » October 19th, 2012, 10:47 am

I've just starting to read book on game of thrones after reading the whole story I'll defiantly watch games of thrones series....

burneyfan
Donator

Post by burneyfan » October 19th, 2012, 6:21 pm

mightysparks on Jul 31 2012, 09:59:18 PM wrote:For people who are reading/have read the books: How fecking often do they talk about food?? I complained about it to my dad on FB yesterday and he said: "yeah man, [name omitted in case of spoilers]'s wedding was boring me shitless with the 77 courses. I was ready to choke myself by the time [omitted for spoilers]. George RR Martin is a fat fucker. He must have written those bits while he was hungry".

It seems like we have to have detailed descriptions every time a character 'breaks their fast'. Drives me crazy.
Sorry, I just saw this post (months late), but wanted to add that there were Game of Thrones cookbooks floating around before HBO purchased rights to do a show -- I don't know who is cooking this stuff, but apparently someone's into it. There are at least a few different ones now (just google "game of thrones cookbook" or "'ice and fire' cookbook" or "westeros cookbook" and you'll see what I mean...and yeah, there's a crapload of food talk in the series.

(I read the first four books when they were first published, though I had to reread most of the first three by the time the fourth one finally appeared. Haven't had time for the fifth, not sure I'll be alive by the time the book series ends, given the rate of publication. I watch the series here and there, mostly when Mr. burneyfan -- who hasn't read the books and views episodes way out of order -- calls me over to explain who someone is or what the hell might be happening.)
Last edited by burneyfan on October 19th, 2012, 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sebby

Post by sebby » March 8th, 2013, 2:19 am

Spoilers ahead.

Just finished Season 2. Not quite as good as S1, but I still liked it a lot.

Dany is hella attractive, but I can't stand her storyline. It was bad in S1 and worse in S2. Seems once her dragons age she'll be at the center of everything :(

Dinklage is awesome and Tyrionn is an amazing character. There are a few characters I hope to see standing at the end of the show and he's definitely one of them.

Will we see Jaqen in S3? Someone who's read the books please spoil me on that. I love that dude and it would be great to see his role expand.

The little crippled Stark is annoying. To be honest the only Starks I hope survive are Arya and Jon Snow. I suppose Momma Stark is okay, too. I feel like I should care about them more than I do.

Upcoming zombie invasion...barf. I can only take fantasy up to a certain point -- once it gets too fantastical it leaves me behind. I fear that will be me and GoT with the white-walking zombies.

Also, has any show ever had a better opening credits sequence? It seriously pumps me up to watch a show I'm already geeking out to watch.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » March 8th, 2013, 2:34 am

JaqenShow
No more Jaqen unfortunately :( Well, he may have some brief appearances with another face...
I can't wait for season 3!!!!!! Literally so much awesomeness to look forward to.

I still hate Dany. I hate her even more after reading the books. She's in it too much, all of her storylines suck, and she's the whiniest most annoying character ever. Every chapter of hers in the book would have me going 'please kill her off, please kill her off', BUT SHE JUST KEEPS ON GOING.

epp

Post by epp » March 31st, 2013, 9:16 pm

Just a reminder.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 1st, 2013, 3:39 am

Starting the episode now :woot:

Rich

Post by Rich » April 1st, 2013, 4:08 am

An ok episode.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 1st, 2013, 4:34 am

Disappointing lack of Arya :(

Lilarcor
Donator

Post by Lilarcor » April 22nd, 2013, 10:53 pm

I'm so happy with how they handled Astapor. This episode was amazing.

L46R

Post by L46R » April 23rd, 2013, 12:41 am

i agree, this season is weak so far, but the last episode was exciting

Rich

Post by Rich » April 23rd, 2013, 12:55 am

The last scene was the only good part.

I really am starting to dislike this show.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » April 23rd, 2013, 2:48 am

Needs more Arya and The Hound and more Jaime and Brienne. They were my favourite storylines in the book and there's not enough of them in the show!!