Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Directors (Waiting for results), 1929 (Results), Directorial Debut Features (Mar 12th), DtC - Nominations (Mar 20th), Favourite Movies (Mar 28th)
Challenges: UK/Ireland, Directed by Women, Waves from around the World
Film of the Week: Lean on Pete, April nominations (Apr 1st)

500 Essential Cult Movies: The Ultimate Guide

Coryn

500 Essential Cult Movies: The Ultimate Guide

Post by Coryn »

Hi

From several websites I can see this book was written in 2010. On ICM it says: Last updated on Jun 28, 2015 by mjf314
Does anyone know what the latest version of the book is ? I'm trying to buy it but need to make sure all 502 movies are in the book.

Thanks in advance !
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?
xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro »

Best I can tell from searching WorldCat, Amazon, Goodreads, and Google Books, there is only the one edition though if I understand correctly, two different publishers have released copies and Goodreads claims the Ilex Press printing is 373 pages (ten fewer pages than the Sterling Paperback printing - and best I can tell, both are paperbacks). Both were released in 2010 - Ilex in June and Sterling in August.

Don't know if there really is a difference between to the two - the page differences reported could be a simple reformatting with all the same text. However, it's not unheard of for publishers to fix typos between printings (and I don't know if anyone tracks book printings anywhere, I mean, other than being severely geeky, why would they?) so I would expect the titles to be the same between the two, but that's not a guarantee. Usually an editorial change - a difference in the list - would be denoted as a revised or subsequent edition, no? (Well, I know of some cases where this isn't true, but that's another story.)

As for the 2015 update, I don't remember anything (that doesn't mean anything) but I'm guessing it's because someone found a discrepancy between the prior list and the book. The update would fix that but no films show up on the New tab, so hard to say. Does adding a source link or changing the intro text affect that last update at the bottom of the iCM page? I've no idea. The prior version of the page isn't available on Wayback Machine.

So, short of having both copies of the book available and comparing them, it's hard to say what, if any, difference there is. My library only has the Sterling printing, so I can't do a comparison (if I had a mind to).
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

I own the book (the 2010 version of course), so if anyone needs me to reference that for something I can.
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

Thanks for your answers. Seems like the list didnt change so I just went and bought it. Do you like the book Traverse ?
TraverseTown

Post by TraverseTown »

Coryn wrote: January 1st, 2021, 7:00 am Thanks for your answers. Seems like the list didnt change so I just went and bought it. Do you like the book Traverse ?
It's fine. Just a medium-sized coffee table-like book. Little blurbs on each film briefly stating the plot and what makes it a "cult" film, usually under 200 words each. I do like that for each title it gives "If you like this film, look into these other films also"-type suggestions. As you might tell from the list, 500 films is a bit much, since roughly 150-ish of them feel like they really don't have any sort of cult following and never did. I suppose the definition is always up for debate!
Coryn

Post by Coryn »

TraverseTown wrote: January 1st, 2021, 9:26 am
Coryn wrote: January 1st, 2021, 7:00 am Thanks for your answers. Seems like the list didnt change so I just went and bought it. Do you like the book Traverse ?
It's fine. Just a medium-sized coffee table-like book. Little blurbs on each film briefly stating the plot and what makes it a "cult" film, usually under 200 words each. I do like that for each title it gives "If you like this film, look into these other films also"-type suggestions. As you might tell from the list, 500 films is a bit much, since roughly 150-ish of them feel like they really don't have any sort of cult following and never did. I suppose the definition is always up for debate!
Alright, i do like these kinds of books though. I just read up on the film after i have watched it. Just like the 1001 mymsbyd book.