Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
NOTE: Board emails should be working again. Information on forum upgrade and style issues.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 22 released November 17th * EXCLUSIVE * We Are Mentioned in a Book!!! Interview with Mary Guillermin on Rapture, JG & More)
Polls: Coming of Age (Results), DtC - Ratings (Results), 1933 (May 12th), 1970s (May 29th)
Challenges: Japan, Mystery/Thriller, Western
Film of the Week: La donna del lago, June nominations (May 28th)

Laki's top 100 songs (and beyond)

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

104. The Velvet Underground & Nico - Venus in Furs

Genre: Experimental Rock, Art Rock
Sub-genres: Drone, Raga Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Noise Rock
Descriptors: drugs, sexual, raw, noisy, urban, eclectic, male vocals, nihilistic, avant-garde, female vocals, rebellious, hedonistic, dissonant, deadpan, apathetic, alienation, lo-fi, dark, psychedelic, introspective, poetic

The Velvet Underground is in some sense my greatest discovery, because I never expected a 60's band to do this with me... (or even 70's whatsoever). I liked The Doors (which are also not included yet, and will change that soon), but their first album is so perfect, and so amazing as well as some old that almost all their songs could be included (in that sense it's similar to Loveless). The album is so overwhelming that it feels wrong to put a song so high, because i couldn't justify it to the other songs of that album. I also should listen more to their second and third album, which I certainly like.

There are some other artists from the 60's and early 70's that were very promising but that I should explore more. I'm referring to Pink Floyd or more specifically Syd Floyd and also Can. There are some others that could do it (Black Sabbath, Jimi Hendrix, maybe The Stooges), but a lot just sounds good from other artists. It sounds good, but I have no incentive to play it more often, because it literally gets sunken in the sea of so many things to listen that i feel like i can't let those songs grow... and all what I lack in life is time to make those songs grow haha.

But Venus in Furs is such a song that is probably after Heroin the best song on their first album. And The Velvet Underground don't sound 60's at all, which is perhaps why I like it so much.

Sunday Morning for example was a song I initially didn't like that much... but the fact that I do now, perhaps is an indication that I shouldn't give up on like The Beatles or The Beach Boys... But yes, to include it in a top 250 is perhaps a bit of a stretch, given 99% of the music i listen is probably at least post-1980s, and probably around 85% is 2010's.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

105. Slowdive - Alison

Genre: Shoegaze, Dream Pop
Sub-genres: Neo-Psychedelia
Descriptors: melancholic, ethereal, mellow, atmospheric, romantic, female vocals, soothing, male vocals, sentimental, bittersweet, longing, lush, introspective, breakup, love, lethargic, psychedelic, poetic, hypnotic, cryptic

clemmetarey
Donator

Post by clemmetarey »

Glad to see you're going back to this project, tons of stuff I haven't heard about. I'll have to think of this thread when I'm in the mood for "dreamy" type of music.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

106. Cocteau Twins - The Thinner The Air

Genre: Dream Pop, Ambient Pop, Ethereal Wave, Ambient
Sub-genres: Neofolk
Descriptors: ethereal, soothing, atmospheric, calm, female vocals, mysterious, peaceful, winter, cryptic, meditative, aquatic, surreal, lush, mellow, soft, melodic, nature, cold, sparse, lethargic

Another grower... I think Cocteau Twins is slowly overtaking Grimes' position as my fav music artists.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

LOL. I already have at least 99 songs I want to include (and for some artists, i haven't even included songs yet, just the artist). At this rate, a top 250 won't be enough, but good i've been working on what I want to include. So i'll easily get to 250. Just have to order things a bit. But it's indeed a work in progression. Just will work on this when I want too :)
clemmetarey wrote: April 22nd, 2021, 9:26 pm Glad to see you're going back to this project, tons of stuff I haven't heard about. I'll have to think of this thread when I'm in the mood for "dreamy" type of music.
Well, not all are dreamy songs, but most are. And there are a lot of dreamy songs i want to include :)
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

107. Cocteau Twins - Pandora (for Cindy)

Genre: Dream Pop, Ethereal Wave
Sub-genres: Art Pop
Descriptors: ethereal, atmospheric, mysterious, cryptic, female vocals, lush, melodic, nocturnal, surreal, hypnotic, melancholic, sensual, abstract, dense, soothing, winter, cold, psychedelic

Another one that could basically have entered the top 100 if i wanted to.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

108. The Doors - The End

Genre: Psychedelic Rock, Art Rock
Sub-genres: Raga Rock, Spoken Word, Progressive Rock, Experimental Rock
Descriptors: psychedelic, drugs, poetic, sexual, dark, male vocals, cryptic, hedonistic, mysterious, nocturnal, existential, passionate, alcohol, sombre, alienation, melancholic, anxious

Perhaps i wouldn't rate it as well, without it's experience in Apocalypse Now which did put the song in a completely different dimension. But The Doors have plenty of other good songs, and perhaps some more will appear in the list. But I feel like this one needs to appear now (and maybe should have done it earlier).
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

109. HANA - Chimera

Genre: Art Pop, Alternative R&B, Downtempo
Sub-genres: Synthpop, Ambient Pop, Indietronica, Dream Pop
Descriptors: ethereal, female vocals, atmospheric, melodic, mellow, passionate, sentimental, cold, soothing, introspective, soft, anxious, winter, rain, breakup

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

110. Chelsea Wolfe - Pale on Pale

Genre: Gothic Rock, Noise Rock, Darkwave
Sub-genres: Doom Metal, Sludge Metal, Psychedelic Rock
Descriptors: dark, sombre, atmospheric, female vocals, melancholic, surreal, nocturnal, ethereal, apocalyptic, ominous, psychedelic, sensual

I'm not always in the mood to listen this song, but when I do listen this, i always think I underestimate this so much, and that this song is much better than i consider it to be in my memory. So while it's not really addictive while i have that with a lot of other songs in this list, it's absolutely a superb song.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

111. YUKIKA - Insomnia

Genre: Dance-Pop, K-Pop
Sub-genres: Nu-Disco, Synthpop, City Pop, Contemporary R&B, Synth Funk, Boogie
Descriptors: female vocals, melodic, soft, urban, playful, lush, warm, nocturnal, romantic, bittersweet, soothing

This is quite recent / new, but damn it... so good.

I also love the cover. She looks like my ideal woman... But that hair looks amazing... I wish i could have that hair colour haha.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

112. Charli XCX - Forever

Genre: Electropop, Glitch Pop, Hyperpop
Sub-genres: Bubblegum Bass, Alternative R&B, Art Pop
Descriptors: longing, love, noisy, female vocals, introspective, lonely, bittersweet, romantic, sentimental, energetic, melodic, passionate, sexual, futuristic, alienation, mechanical, eclectic, rhythmic, chaotic, anxious

I don't know what it is... I really didn't get the Charli XCX hype esp. before she released her lockdown album, but this lockdown album is the best "lockdown" album released for me personally. It's a milestone in the pop genre, esp. since i've listened to other hyperpop releases and I keep coming back to this although i've still much to explore (esp. SOPHIE who sadly passed away, seems to have been very important, and from what i've heard... i certainly understand that and A.G. Cook who helped produce this and needs more credit)

I didn't dislike Charli XCX and never did. I really liked Nuclear Seasons (i remember it being recommended here by Pretentious Hipster), but on this album her songs are even much better. I think this is by far the best electropop album ever to be released (if i don't forget anything, and taking the narrow definition of the genre. Art Angels comes close, but I think How i'm feeling now is slightly better).

The issue with this album is some i have with other albums. I have trouble choosing a song, because the entire album is full of absolutely great songs, and therefore i don't really have a song i like much more than the others. Even when i'm currently re-listening it, it's hard to choose one. I think i'm going with Forever, but it's possible (even likely) some other songs will appear to.

So far, this is I believe the best album of the decade, because the album is so consistent high quality but more importantly since a lot of other hyperpop songs or releases slightly disappointed me, i feel like she takes the genre to a next level.

Also, this album is certainly also a grower IMO. The reason why I believe this might be the best electropop album ever, is because I believe she actually embarasses a lot of 00's / 10's electropop artists who we heard a thousand times on the radio. She completely embarasses them and leave them far behind. It's just really embarassing for the entire music industry. She completely destroys it with one single album. That's what I feel about hearing this.

I know one thing for sure, i'll continue to enjoy this album a lot.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

113. Molchat Doma - Судно (Борис Рыжий)

Genre: Darkwave, Gothic Rock, Post-Punk
Sub-genres: Coldwave, Dance-Punk
Descriptors: cold, lonely, mechanical, nocturnal, rhythmic, male vocals, melancholic, atmospheric, dark, urban, lo-fi, longing, depressive, introspective, dense, death, apathetic, hypnotic, repetitive

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

114. George Clanton - It Makes The Babies Want To Cry

Genre: Synthpop, Chillwave
Sub-genres: Vaporwave, Hypnagogic Pop, Alternative Dance
Descriptors: love, passionate, male vocals, atmospheric, melodic, nocturnal, bittersweet, romantic, melancholic, longing, psychedelic, sexual

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

115. Yves Tumor, James K - Licking an Orchid

Genre: Hypnagogic Pop, Art Pop
Sub-genres: Trip Hop, Noise, Dream Pop, Neo-Psychedelia
Descriptors: psychedelic, eclectic, surreal, atmospheric, dense, dark, abstract, sampling, longing, nocturnal, introspective, noisy, male vocals, lonely, avant-garde, melodic, mysterious, alienation, anxious, lush, melancholic, love, chaotic, depressive, rhythmic, lethargic, androgynous vocals

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

116. Sweet Trip - Dsco

Genre: Indietronica, Shoegaze, Noise Pop
Sub-genres: Alternative Dance, Twee Pop, Bitpop, Glitch Pop
Descriptors: futuristic, playful, mechanical, atmospheric, abstract, female vocals, lush, ethereal, love, psychedelic, uplifting, surreal, melodic, complex, eclectic, warm, bittersweet, male vocals, quirky, sentimental, dense, romantic, progressive, summer, noisy, optimistic, cryptic, longing, happy

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

117. Pinkshinyultrablast - Holy Forest

Genre: Shoegaze, Noise Pop
Sub-genres: Dream Pop, Indie Pop, Post-Punk Revival
Descriptors: ethereal, atmospheric, melodic, warm, lush, uplifting, melancholic, female vocals, psychedelic

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

118. Aseul - Bye Bye Summer

Genre: Electropop, Chillwave, Synthpop
Sub-genres: Art Pop, Dream Pop, Ambient Pop
Descriptors: soft, warm, mellow, ethereal, female vocals, summer

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

119. Eartheater - Preservation

Genre: Art Pop, Alternative R&B, Drill
Sub-genres: Wave, UK Bass, Weightless, Trap
Descriptors: female vocals, ethereal, sexual, atmospheric, sensual, aquatic, cold, futuristic, lethargic, passionate

I don't even know what all of those genres mean but whatever. It's great. :lol: Something I recently discovered, but absolutely god-tier music.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

120. Allie X - Bitch

Genre: Synthpop
Sub-genres: Glitch Pop, Art Pop, Noise Pop, Synthwave, Electropop
Descriptors: noisy, cryptic, dark, abstract, manic, female vocals, sarcastic, sexual, nocturnal, dense, lo-fi, ominous

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

121. Lim Giong - A Pure Person

Genre: Techno, Film Soundtrack
Sub-genres: Ambient Techno, House
Descriptors:

Probably the movie with one of the best soundtracks (l)
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

122. Kedr Livanskiy - Your Need (твоя беда)

Genre: Outsider House
Sub-genres: Synthpop, Breakbeat
Descriptors: female vocals, playful, rhythmic, spring, hypnotic, lush, poetic, repetitive, atmospheric, futuristic

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

123. Kelsey Lu, Yves Tumor, Kelly Moran, Moses Boyd - let all the poison that lurk in the mud seep out

Genre: Art Pop
Sub-genres: Ambient Pop, Downtempo, Nu Jazz, Chamber Folk
Descriptors: mellow, female vocals, aquatic, nocturnal, rain, forest, warm, peaceful, melodic, atmospheric, passionate, ethereal, lush, soothing

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

124. Grimes - Pin

Genre: Alternative Dance, Synthpop
Sub-genres: Dance-Pop, Electropop, Art Pop
Descriptors: energetic, playful, fantasy, quirky, manic, female vocals, uplifting, bittersweet, lush, surreal, melodic, rhythmic, futuristic, anxious, lonely, longing, passionate, anthemic

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

125. Lido Pimienta - Al Unisono Viajan

Genre: Art Pop, Electropop, Latin Alternative
Sub-genres: Folktronica, Latin Electronic, Freak Folk
Descriptors: female vocals, passionate, warm, ethereal, love, hypnotic, rebellious, psychedelic, melodic, conscious

Yes, this is as weird as it sounds, but she's absolutely magnificent, and it's not just only this song. Extremely underrated. She will make more appearances.

Pimienta has partly Afro-Colombian and partly Wayuu (part of the Arawak culture group) roots, and she identifies as queer.
Her music incorporates a variety of styles and influences, including traditional indigenous and Afro-Colombian musical styles such as Cumbia and Bullerengue, as well as contemporary synthpop and electronic music.
And for what bullerengue is
Bullerengue is a music genre and dance style with origins in the Colombian Caribbean Coast, with strong relationship and importance to the development and history of the Cumbia genre in the country. Much like Cumbia in its origins, Bullerengue has roots in expressions of African Music music brought by slaves of said continent during the Spanish colonization of South and Central America, and it's known for being sung almost exclusively by females. Some of its main characteristics include a strong emphasis in rhythm and improvisation over melody (with a relative, though not entire, lack of woodwind and string instruments), employment of relatively large groups of musicians (usually not less than 12) and a call-and-response interaction between the lead singer (known as cantadora) and a choir. Bullerengue is associated with the music of artists like Petrona Martínez and Totó la Momposina.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

126. Animal Collective - Daily Routine

Genre: Neo-Psychedelia, Progressive Pop
Sub-genres: Ambient Pop, Art Pop, Psychedelic Pop, Indietronica, Sunshine Pop, Electronic
Descriptors: summer, psychedelic, dense, warm, uplifting, happy, hypnotic, playful, melodic, male vocals, surreal, romantic, Wall of Sound, lush, optimistic, quirky, aquatic, sentimental, longing, atmospheric, bittersweet, sampling, love, ethereal, rhythmic, energetic

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

127. Faye Wong - 浮躁

Genre: Dream Pop, Mandopop, Jangle Pop, Twee Pop
Sub-genres: Indie Pop
Descriptors: female vocals, happy, romantic, ethereal, mellow, sensual, playful, sentimental, soothing, calm, peaceful, melodic, lush, atmospheric, warm, autumn, poetic

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

128. LSD and the Search for God - Starting Over

Sub-genres: Neo-Psychedelia
Descriptors: psychedelic, lush, atmospheric, ethereal, male vocals, warm, female vocals, drugs, bittersweet, nocturnal, noisy, longing, breakup, soothing, soft, dense

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

129. Candy Claws - Fell in Love (at the Water)

Genre: Neo-Psychedelia, Dream Pop, Shoegaze
Sub-genres: Psychedelic Pop, Ethereal Wave, Psychedelic Rock
Descriptors: psychedelic, Wall of Sound, lush, tropical, warm, playful, dense, fantasy, ethereal, atmospheric, female vocals, summer, melodic, surreal, concept album, nature, male vocals, uplifting, forest, spring, hypnotic, poetic, rhythmic, complex

Another album that is very consistent good, but also is one that doesn't let you uncover it's secrets from a first, second or third listen imo, because the deep layers beneath the wall of sound are well hidden, but unravel when you listen it multiple times, especially since this is complex and busy music. A lot is going on, and the melodies only unravel theirselves after you know those songs pretty well. In that sense, this song and esp. the entire album is a grower, but when it grows, you'll fucking love it till eternity & beyond.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

130. Cocteau Twins - Shallow then Halo

Genre: Gothic Rock, Ethereal Wave, Post-Punk
Sub-genres:
Descriptors: dark, ominous, atmospheric, nocturnal, female vocals, cold, mysterious, sombre, ethereal, surreal, melancholic, lonely, dense, hypnotic, forest, abstract

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

131. Slowdive - Crazy for You

Genre: Dream Pop, Ambient Pop, Post-Rock
Sub-genres: Shoegaze, Neo-Psychedelia
Descriptors: ethereal, melancholic, sparse, atmospheric, mellow, mysterious, surreal, soothing, male vocals, calm, repetitive, psychedelic, female vocals, lush, hypnotic, meditative, minimalistic, space, abstract, peaceful

Magnificent.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

132. My Bloody Valentine - Swallow

Genre: Dream Pop, Shoegaze, Neo-Psychedelia
Sub-genres: Celtic Folk Music
Descriptors: psychedelic, ethereal, atmospheric, noisy, female vocals, warm, romantic, dense, melodic, lush, hypnotic, surreal, mellow, sexual, sensual, male vocals, melancholic, dissonant, soothing, bittersweet, peaceful, sentimental, calm, nocturnal, Wall of Sound, love

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

133. My Bloody Valentine - Glider

Genre: Shoegaze, Experimental Rock, Drone
Sub-genres: Noise Rock, Industrial, Noise
Descriptors: ethereal, psychedelic, noisy, romantic, atmospheric, female vocals, male vocals, hypnotic, lush, bittersweet, surreal, love, melancholic, warm, dense, raw, summer, sentimental, rhythmic, sexual, dissonant, Wall of Sound

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

134. Kinoko Teikoku - FLOWER GIRL

Genre: Dream Pop, Shoegaze, Slowcore
Sub-genres: Post-Rock, Noise Pop
Descriptors: female vocals, romantic, bittersweet, anthemic, noisy, passionate, melodic, lush, longing

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

135. Ringo Deathstarr - Show Me The Truth of Your Love

Sub-genres: Neo-Psychedelia, Noise Pop
Descriptors: female vocals, male vocals, melancholic, warm, dense, sensual, love, noisy, ethereal

I zone out with this song.. everytime again. This and one other song are two songs i pretty much like. And this album is great. I'm less a fan of their earlier album Colour Trip and haven't listened to any other album (Mauve, God's Dream and self-named album). I think it's because I in particular love the guitar song on some songs on Pure Mood combined with the ethereal voice, but it has something i just don't find much anywhere else, despite them being named "another mbv rip-off", although every shoegaze band is getting killed by being named another shoegaze rip-off. But if we use that logic for all music, not much should be made anymore today lol.

And zoning out isn't always a good thing, i sometimes deliberately listen to this song to zone out, to release stress but also while self-harming i've played this song a lot, or at least when it was severe and almost killed myself with it (and indeed when going back with last.fm i played this song than), but I also played Interpol - Stella was a diver which was at the peak of my self-induced trance, and that was when I first listened to a song apart from their album, and it just clicked to me, so that song got a different meaning because of that at that point, and this is the second one, because it really reminds me of some experiences. It doesn't make the song bad as some of you might think.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

136. Candy Claws - Transitional Bird (Clever Girl)

Genre: Psychedelic Pop, Neo-Psychedelia, Dream Pop
Sub-genres: Shoegaze, Chillwave
Descriptors: psychedelic, Wall of Sound, lush, tropical, warm, playful, dense, fantasy, ethereal, atmospheric, female vocals, summer, melodic, surreal, concept album, nature, male vocals, uplifting, forest, spring, hypnotic, poetic, rhythmic, complex

That crescendo man is so otherworldly and epic. Another one of those growers of this album, where everything falls into one big piece falling together, with the melodies unraveling theirselves slowly.

Apparently the album is a concept album about a girl and her magic seal travelling to the Mesozoic era... I need to pay attention to those lyrics (if i'm able to understand them well enough, it's already pretty hard for indie rock).

Some reviewer said somewhere it's Feels by Animal Collective mixed with Loveless by My Bloody Valentine. I wholeheartedly agree haha.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

137. Cranes - Watersong

Genre: Neoclassical Darkwave
Sub-genres: Ethereal Wave
Descriptors: ethereal, female vocals, melancholic, ominous, dark, apocalyptic, cold, suspenseful, poetic, love, anxious, surreal, sombre, paranormal, raw, abstract, quirky, soothing

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

138. Slowdive - Sugar for the Pill

Genre: Dream Pop
Sub-genres: Ambient Pop, Post-Punk
Descriptors: ethereal, atmospheric, sentimental, male vocals, mellow, lush, female vocals, romantic, melancholic, bittersweet, warm, hypnotic, longing, love, dense

Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

139. Black Sabbath - Paranoid

Genre: Heavy Metal, Hard Rock
Sub-genres: Proto-Punk
Descriptors: dark, war, heavy, political, male vocals, ominous, drugs, science fiction, pessimistic, alienation, funereal, rebellious, melodic, protest, anthemic, conscious

A groundbreaking song that somehow never gets old and survives the test of time somehow, even though i'm a noob when it comes to metal.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

140. The Rolling Stones - Paint It, Black

Genre: Psychedelic Rock, Mud, Raga Rock
Sub-genres: Garage Rock
Descriptors: energetic, dark, melodic, male vocals, psychedelic, existential, rebellious, passionate, rhythmic, raw, introspective, death, serious, sombre, hypnotic, depressive, pessimistic, alienation, longing, nihilistic

Again another one of those timeless songs, even though i'm not the biggest fan of the Rolling Stones (though i prefer them over the Beatles), because their music seem more adult-like.
Lakigigar

Post by Lakigigar »

141. The Velvet Underground - Pale Blue Eyes

Genre: Folk Pop, Pop Rock
Sub-genres: Psychedelic Folk, Country Pop, Singer/Songwriter, Slowcore
Descriptors: mellow, melancholic, melodic, bittersweet, introspective, male vocals, nocturnal, soft, love, alienation, calm, soothing, atmospheric, LGBT, autumn, peaceful, lonely, spiritual, eclectic

Perhaps the first dreamy song ever?

Also, why is this considered to be "pop rock", i don't hear it. But fine, it's probably the first "pop rock" song that made it in (lol).