Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 11 released July 24th)
Polls: 0 Official Lists (Results), 1960 (Aug 9th), Romance (Aug 28th)
Challenges: German/Austrian/Swiss, <400, 1970s
Film of the Week: Der Fan, September nominations (Aug 28th)
World Cup S4: Match 2H: India vs Cuba (Aug 16th), QF Preparation (Aug 25th)

Kong's journey through the musical canon (and some other stuff)

kongs_speech

Kong's journey through the musical canon (and some other stuff)

Post by kongs_speech » May 13th, 2020, 9:12 pm

Hey, first-time thread maker here. I'm just as passionate about music as I am about film, so I have decided that I want to hear every "important," canonized album. I've made a list of over 2000 that I intend to check out. I'll spare you having to read through that list, but it includes the Rolling Stone top 500, the RYM top 500, every edition of 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, and everything that was already on a list I made a few years ago.

I have heard some of these albums before, but I have never put them through my track-by-track system, which is how I have rated records for the past six years. If I really enjoy an artist's album, I may add more of their discography to the list. I am going to make a post in this thread for each album, sharing the scores and some brief thoughts. The OP will be updated continuously with ratings. I also take recommendations. I have given myself a three year deadline to complete the project. May 2023, when I will turn 30.

Albums Rated

10cc - Sheet Music - 4/5
24-Carat Black - Ghetto: Misfortune's Wealth - 4/5
808 State - 90 - 4/5
a-ha - Hunting High and Low - 3.5/5
ABBA - The Visitors - 5/5
ABBA - ABBA - 3.5/5
ABBA - Ring Ring - 2.5/5
ABBA - Super Trouper - 4.5/5
ABBA - Voulez-Vous - 4/5
ABBA - Waterloo - 3.5/5
ABC - The Lexicon of Love - 4.5/5
AC/DC - Highway to Hell - 3.5/5
Aceyalone - A Book of Human Language - 4/5
David Ackles - American Gothic - 2.5/5
Action Swingers - Decimation Blvd. - 3.5/5
Adam and the Ants - Kings of the Wild Frontier - 3.5/5
Ryan Adams - Ten Songs from Live at Carnegie Hall - 4.5/5
Ryan Adams - Rock N Roll - 3.5/5
Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Cold Roses - 4.5/5
Ryan Adams - 29 - 4/5
Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - Cardinology - 3.5/5
Ryan Adams - Demolition - 4/5
Ryan Adams & the Cardinals - III/IV - 3/5
Ryan Adams - Orion - 4/5
Barry Adamson - Moss Side Story - 3.5/5
Barry Adamson - Oedipus Schmoedipus - 4.5/5
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else - 5/5
Hasil Adkins - What the Hell Was I Thinking - 3.5/5
The Adverts - Crossing the Red Sea with the Adverts - 4.5/5
The Adverts - Cast of Thousands - 4/5
Aerosmith - Pump - 2/5
Aerosmith - Rocks - 3.5/5
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic - 4/5
The Afghan Whigs - Gentlemen - 4/5
AFI - Sing the Sorrow - 4/5
AFI - Answer That and Stay Fashionable - 4/5
AFI - The Art of Drowning - 4/5
AFI - Black Sails in the Sunset - 5/5
AFI - Decemberunderground - 3.5/5

The Next 10

AFI - Shut Your Mouth and Open Your Eyes
AFI - Very Proud of Ya
Afrika Bambaataa and the Soul Sonic Force - Planet Rock
Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain
Agalloch - The Mantle
Christina Aguilera - Back to Basics
Christina Aguilera - Stripped
Jan Akkerman - Jan Akkerman
Alexisonfire - Crisis
Alexisonfire - Old Crows/Young Cardinals
Last edited by kongs_speech on June 17th, 2020, 11:15 pm, edited 37 times in total.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 13th, 2020, 9:19 pm

#01: 10cc - Sheet Music

1. The Wall Street Shuffle – 3.6/4
2. The Worst Band in the World – 2.4/3
3. Hotel - 4/5
4. Old Wild Men – 2.1/3
5. Clockwork Creep – 2.7/3
6. Silly Love – 3.2/4
7. Somewhere in Hollywood – 5.6/7
8. Baron Samedi – 3.2/4
9. The Sacro-lliac – 2.7/3
10. Oh Effendi - 3/3

[32.5/39]

Avg: 4.17
Score: 4/5

Reason for inclusion: 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

Review: This is a sophisticated, grown-up pop album, not too unlike something you might hear from Sparks, although I didn't care for Kimono My House and I dug this record. It lacks that album's theatrical vocals, which were a turn-off for me. Both the lyrics and production stood out to me, and there's a good amount of musical diversity. Sheet Music is definitely not one of those LPs where every track sounds the same. Things got off to a very strong start with "The Wall Street Shuffle," but for me, the highlight proved to be the closing track, "Oh Effendi."

Will I hear more from this artist? Yes, but probably not until this project is finished.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 13th, 2020, 10:18 pm

#02: 24-Carat Black - Ghetto: Misfortune's Wealth

1. Synopsis One: In the Ghetto / God Save the World – 6.3/9
2. Poverty's Paradise – 10.4/13
3. Brown-Baggin' (inst.) – 6.3/7
4. Synopsis Two: Mother's Day – 1.4/2
5. Mother's Day - 8/10
6. Foodstamps (inst.) – 4.8/6
7. Ghetto: Misfortune's Wealth – 3.6/4
8. 24-Carat Black (Theme) [inst.] - 6.3/7

[47.1/58]

Avg: 4.06

Reason for inclusion: Heard "24-Carat Black (Theme)" on Sirius XM years ago and liked it enough to write it down.

Review: I've been meaning to give this a spin for years, and while it's not the masterpiece I was hoping for, it's a strong enough collection of tracks that I'm not disappointed. I would describe it as a mournful funk record, loosely conceptualized around urban poverty, which is a subject that will unfortunately probably remain relevant for the rest of human history. The intro is a bit too on-the-nose and melodramatic for my liking, but the second half of the track is beautiful. The album is mostly very good across the board, but the biggest reasons to check it out are the instrumentals, particularly "Theme," which is super funky with a bit of an ominous edge. That's the track that hooked me when I heard it back circa 2016.

Will I hear more from this artist? Sadly, this is their only proper LP.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 13th, 2020, 11:24 pm

#03: 808 State - 90

1. Magical Dream (feat. Vanessa Daou) – 3.6/4
2. Ancodia – 5.4/6
3. Cobra Bora – 6.3/7
4. Pacific 202 – 5.4/6
5. Donkey Doctor – 4.5/5
6. 808080808 – 3.6/4
7. Sunrise – 5.6/7
8. The Fat Shadow (Pointy Head Mix) – 0.8/1

[35.2/40]

Avg: 4.4

Review: We're only getting started, but my third album is the favorite so far. As far as I know, this is my first exposure to acid house, and I must say, I'm rather digging it. I don't have a musical bone in my body and therefore do not dance, but if I did, I'd want to dance to this record. I've been exploring a little bit of IDM lately, and this certainly makes me want to go further. If anyone has recommendations, I will gladly accept them. I see some criticism on RYM that this album is dated, which I think is stupid. Yes, it's a product of its time. All art is. It's the good stuff, however, that remains enjoyable forever, and 90 is an immensely appealing LP. I think its inclusion on the mostly rock-heavy 1001 Albums list is very cool.

Will I hear more from this artist? Yes, I will look further into their discography after I complete this project.
Last edited by kongs_speech on May 14th, 2020, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 13th, 2020, 11:46 pm

I wish I understood the language of music to talk about albums more, but nice to see someone else on the same journey :thumbsup: I tried doing a track rating thing at first but then I moved to just an overall feeling of the album. Was surprised by how good Sheet Music was as I thought 10cc were just a novelty one hit wonder band, but good stuff.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 14th, 2020, 12:44 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 11:46 pm
I wish I understood the language of music to talk about albums more, but nice to see someone else on the same journey :thumbsup: I tried doing a track rating thing at first but then I moved to just an overall feeling of the album. Was surprised by how good Sheet Music was as I thought 10cc were just a novelty one hit wonder band, but good stuff.
Yay, finally a comment! :cheers: I hope people will enjoy this thread, I know it's not a music forum, but hopefully enough people here like music to keep interest. Even if it's just me talking to myself, I'm gonna see this project to completion.

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » May 14th, 2020, 7:02 am

I do hope you'll like ABBA - The Visitors.

"One of Us" is the Abba Song i prefer... and i'm an ABBA late fan with all their CDs ;)

Disc store had to command the CDs in the 90's and thaught i was a little weird wanting them ... saw it on the vendor eyes hehe

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 14th, 2020, 7:29 am

kongs_speech wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 11:24 pm
I've been exploring a little bit of IDM lately, and this certainly makes me want to go further. If anyone has recommendations, I will gladly accept them.
If you're talking IDM (more structured and experimental) then artists like Aphex Twin are a good place to start, Autechre if you want a bit more of a challenge.
If you're talking EDM (more straight-forward and danceable) then it's probably best to look to more oldskool techno records. Especially if you want to keep it canonical.

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » May 14th, 2020, 11:20 am

nice, I've also been doing a music listening project during lockdown, to help with working from home. My method is just to pick a random year (between 1960-2019) each day and only listen to albums from that year until I've listened to at least 5 albums, so sometimes keep on 1 year for a couple of days. I'm picking from rym lists + my own collection, some of which is things downloaded years ago & never listened (mostly trying to pick stuff I haven't heard before, but dropping in some I know or want to give a 2nd chance to).

I've got out of habit of exploring music for quite a while so it's good to have a structured way to make me explore, rather than falling back to same old favourites, or just not listening at all. Been keeping a list but not ratings, I'm halfway through years and listened over 200 albums now since starting mid March.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 14th, 2020, 12:23 pm

This reminds me...My 808 State discography upload on TPB is still seeded by 1 person

What's wrong with the other 2 albums?
https://www.discogs.com/artist/38199-24-Carat-Black
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 14th, 2020, 12:47 pm

Autechre is the more avant-garde group of idm music, and easily one of my favourite bands. Tri repetae is a classic that's not too inaccessible and can make great background music though. Starting from 2013 they started using max/msp and have computer algorithms generate the music for them. AE_Live_Brussels_031014 is my favourite album of theirs, but it's more effective when you hear some of the other concerts in that tour to see how randomly generated these songs are.

Venetian Snares' Rossz csillag alatt született is one that people new into being a music nerd tend to love.

Christoph de Babalon's If You're Into It, I'm Out of It is my 4th favourite album. Technically EDM as it's drum and bass, but Thom Yorke called it the most menacing album he owns. The dark ambient songs are absolutely crushing, and some songs resulted in me getting panic attacks or suicidal thoughts.

You definitely can't ignore EDM. Flieg mit Ellen Allien is an absolutely essential DJ Mix. Timecode's Moving Shadow 01.1 as well and if you played GTA 3, you're gonna go nuts when you notice where some of the tracks came from.

There's also a various artists compilation called Welcome to Paradise, Vol. III: Italian Dream House 90-94 and the tracks are just stunning.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » May 14th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Also for some hope in mainstream-ish pop there's bubblegum bass.

Hannah Diamond's Reflections is a deconstruction of trance. Take that music but replace its club-friendly atmosphere and optimism with something really cold and depressing.

Dorian Electra's Flamboyant has some of the best vocals in pop.

Charli XCX's Pop 2 had a few moments that is a bit too top 40 for me but the rest is phenomenal.

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 14th, 2020, 3:41 pm

I'm not sure I understand the numbers you're using. Can you explains why different songs are rated on different scales? And how you arrive at an overall score?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 14th, 2020, 3:45 pm

blocho wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:41 pm
I'm not sure I understand the numbers you're using. Can you explains why different songs are rated on different scales? And how you arrive at an overall score?
Haven't checked but might be related to length of the songs?

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 14th, 2020, 8:28 pm

blocho wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 3:41 pm
Onderhond guessed correctly. Sorry, my system is complex and I should have explained it beforehand. About five years ago, I switched to this method of rating.

I weight tracks based on their length, as I feel that it gives a more accurate read than just assigning five or ten points to a track. White Light/White Heat has "The Gift" and "Sister Ray," both of which are very long and very awesome. On the other hand, a fairly pointless two-minute instrumental on a great album shouldn't count terribly against it. I hope this makes sense.

Also, the "8" score for 808 State was a typo. It should say 4/5. I'll fix that.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 14th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Onderhond wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 7:29 am
kongs_speech wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 11:24 pm
I've been exploring a little bit of IDM lately, and this certainly makes me want to go further. If anyone has recommendations, I will gladly accept them.
If you're talking IDM (more structured and experimental) then artists like Aphex Twin are a good place to start, Autechre if you want a bit more of a challenge.
If you're talking EDM (more straight-forward and danceable) then it's probably best to look to more oldskool techno records. Especially if you want to keep it canonical.
Thanks! I've got three Aphex Twin records on the list already. For Autechre, I added Tri repetae, because I've heard of that one and it has a 3.79 on RYM.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 14th, 2020, 8:34 pm

brokenface wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 11:20 am
nice, I've also been doing a music listening project during lockdown, to help with working from home. My method is just to pick a random year (between 1960-2019) each day and only listen to albums from that year until I've listened to at least 5 albums, so sometimes keep on 1 year for a couple of days. I'm picking from rym lists + my own collection, some of which is things downloaded years ago & never listened (mostly trying to pick stuff I haven't heard before, but dropping in some I know or want to give a 2nd chance to).

I've got out of habit of exploring music for quite a while so it's good to have a structured way to make me explore, rather than falling back to same old favourites, or just not listening at all. Been keeping a list but not ratings, I'm halfway through years and listened over 200 albums now since starting mid March.
I'm glad other people here are doing similar projects. Any method of discovering new music is worthwhile.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 14th, 2020, 8:43 pm

Tim2460 wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 7:02 am
I do hope you'll like ABBA - The Visitors.

"One of Us" is the Abba Song i prefer... and i'm an ABBA late fan with all their CDs ;)

Disc store had to command the CDs in the 90's and thaught i was a little weird wanting them ... saw it on the vendor eyes hehe
I think I may end up doing a quick run through the ABBA discography. I heard Arrival and The Album the other day and loved both.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 14th, 2020, 8:45 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:47 pm
Autechre is the more avant-garde group of idm music, and easily one of my favourite bands. Tri repetae is a classic that's not too inaccessible and can make great background music though. Starting from 2013 they started using max/msp and have computer algorithms generate the music for them. AE_Live_Brussels_031014 is my favourite album of theirs, but it's more effective when you hear some of the other concerts in that tour to see how randomly generated these songs are.

Venetian Snares' Rossz csillag alatt született is one that people new into being a music nerd tend to love.

Christoph de Babalon's If You're Into It, I'm Out of It is my 4th favourite album. Technically EDM as it's drum and bass, but Thom Yorke called it the most menacing album he owns. The dark ambient songs are absolutely crushing, and some songs resulted in me getting panic attacks or suicidal thoughts.

You definitely can't ignore EDM. Flieg mit Ellen Allien is an absolutely essential DJ Mix. Timecode's Moving Shadow 01.1 as well and if you played GTA 3, you're gonna go nuts when you notice where some of the tracks came from.

There's also a various artists compilation called Welcome to Paradise, Vol. III: Italian Dream House 90-94 and the tracks are just stunning.
Thanks for all of these recs! I'll add the albums in this post as well as your other one.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 14th, 2020, 8:52 pm

Armoreska wrote:
May 14th, 2020, 12:23 pm
This reminds me...My 808 State discography upload on TPB is still seeded by 1 person

What's wrong with the other 2 albums?
https://www.discogs.com/artist/38199-24-Carat-Black
Those are archival releases, which I typically don't pay too much attention to, but given that I am interested in hearing more from the band, perhaps I'll check them out sometime. :thumbsup:

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 14th, 2020, 10:12 pm

#004 - a-ha - Hunting High and Low

1. Take on Me – 3.2/4
2. Train of Thought – 2.8/4
3. Hunting High and Low – 2.8/4
4. The Blue Sky – 2.1/3
5. Living a Boy's Adventure Tale - 4/5
6. The Sun Always Shines on T.V. - 4/5
7. And You Tell Me – 1/2
8. Love is Reason – 2.4/3
9. I Dream Myself Alive – 2.1/3
10. Here I Stand and Face the Rain - 3.5/5

[27.9/38]

Avg: 3.67
Score: 3.5/5

Review: 80's synthpop is always fun, as is the case here, but I wasn't blown away. I have always considered "Take on Me" to be a great song, but never a favorite. It has been so overplayed over the years. The music video is very cool, admittedly. I liked when they referenced it that time on Family Guy when Chris was at the grocery store. Anyway, there are no misfires here, save for the short, forgettable "And You Tell Me," which I feel adds nothing to the album. The band's vocals remind me of Morrissey at times, which is never a bad thing. This is a solid LP and I recommend it for fans of the genre.

Will I hear more from this artist? Probably not. As I said, this is a good album, but it's universally considered their high point and it didn't wow me, so I'm not too interested in further exploration. Too many artists, too little time.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 14th, 2020, 11:15 pm

#005: ABBA - The Visitors

1. The Visitors – 5.4/6
2. Head Over Heels - 4/4
3. When All is Said and Done - 3/3
4. Soldiers - 5/5

5. I Let the Music Speak – 4.5/5
6. One of Us - 4/4
7. Two for the Price of One – 3.6/4
8. Slipping Through My Fingers - 4/4
9. Like an Angel Passing Through My Room - 4/4

[37.5/39]

Avg: 4.81
Score: 5/5

Review: I love a lot of ABBA singles, but I had no idea they were capable of putting together an LP this stunning. I don't know too much about ABBA behind the scenes, but it's my understanding that this record was recorded when the two couples in the band were going through divorce, hence the dissolving of the band. There's an air of melancholy here that lingers above the wonderful pop songs and provides them with some added weight. This is right up there with the best pop albums I have ever heard. An album you must hear before you die, indeed!

Will I hear more from this artist? Immediately. I've previously heard and loved Arrival and The Album, so I'm going to go through the rest of their discography before moving on to the next artist. I don't expect anything on the level of The Visitors, as that's a pretty damn high bar to clear.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 15th, 2020, 12:08 am

#006: ABBA - ABBA

1. Mamma Mia - 4/4
2. Hey, Hey Helen – 2.4/3
3. Tropical Loveland – 1.5/3
4. SOS – 2.7/3
5. Man in the Middle – 2.1/3
6. Bang-A-Boomerang – 2.4/3
7. I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do – 2.1/3
8. Rock Me – 1.8/3
9. Intermezzo No. 1 (inst.) – 3.2/4
10. I've Been Waiting for You – 3.2/4
11. So Long – 2.4/3

[27.8/36]

Avg: 3.86
Score: 3.5/5

Reason for inclusion: I gave The Visitors a 5/5.

Review: This early self-titled work from the Swedish pop superstars is a pretty nice record that kicks off with one of their best songs. I can't stand the Mamma Mia film (though it probably does deserve a rewatch), but there's no denying that the song still rules. The album is consistent, save for "Tropical Loveland" and "Rock Me." In the case of the former, tropical music just isn't a style that suits ABBA well. "Rock Me" has a great chorus, but I find the male vocals on the verses somewhat annoying. Still, while ABBA may not be one of the group's strongest LPs, it's very far from bad. Check it out if you have any interest in ABBA, just don't expect The Visitors, Arrival or The Album.

Will I hear more from this artist? Yes, I will continue my discography run tomorrow.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 15th, 2020, 12:11 am

Love ABBA. My album ratings:

Ring Ring (1973) 3.5/5
ABBA (1975) 3.5/5
Arrival (1976) 3.5/5
Super Trouper (1980) 3/5
Voulez-Vous (1979) 3/5
Waterloo (1974) 3/5
The Album (1977) 2.5/5
The Visitors (1981) 2.5/5
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 15th, 2020, 12:17 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 12:11 am

Ring Ring (1973) 3.5/5
ABBA (1975) 3.5/5
Arrival (1976) 3.5/5
Super Trouper (1980) 3/5
Voulez-Vous (1979) 3/5
Waterloo (1974) 3/5
The Album (1977) 2.5/5
You're a tougher critic than me. Nothing wrong with that. I've always rated on a fairly lenient scale. I forgot about Ring Ring when I was adding their other albums to my list, so now it's first up for tomorrow.

I'm trying to average three albums a day. If I do that, this project should be finished on schedule, even if I add a bunch of other albums as I go along, which we all know I will. :lol:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 15th, 2020, 12:30 am

kongs_speech wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 12:17 am
mightysparks wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 12:11 am

Ring Ring (1973) 3.5/5
ABBA (1975) 3.5/5
Arrival (1976) 3.5/5
Super Trouper (1980) 3/5
Voulez-Vous (1979) 3/5
Waterloo (1974) 3/5
The Album (1977) 2.5/5
You're a tougher critic than me. Nothing wrong with that. I've always rated on a fairly lenient scale. I forgot about Ring Ring when I was adding their other albums to my list, so now it's first up for tomorrow.

I'm trying to average three albums a day. If I do that, this project should be finished on schedule, even if I add a bunch of other albums as I go along, which we all know I will. :lol:
Well, I am a tough critic in general :P But I find albums difficult because I often don't like any songs on an album, or only one etc. I rate based on an overall feel, but also based on how many songs I actually liked on it. I don't necessarily think the lower ratings are 'bad' albums, but for example, I don't like any particular song on The Visitors, and I only like one on The Album. I like six on Ring Ring.

This is my ratings graph on RYM to get an idea...

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 15th, 2020, 12:59 am

That makes sense. Here's mine:

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 15th, 2020, 1:17 am

I wish my graph looked more like that :(

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 15th, 2020, 1:20 am

mightysparks wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 1:17 am
I wish my graph looked more like that :(
It's a combination of factors. I'm easy to please and I'm pretty good at knowing what I will or won't like. Even a lot of my least favorite albums are by artists I normally hold in high regard. Summer in Paradise is the worst record I've ever heard, and I am a massive Beach Boys fan.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 15th, 2020, 9:17 am

You should pick up an A-Ha compilation. I try to do that when I like 1 album but don't feel like listening to the whole discog.

Of course with A-Ha I've listened to the lot. Not a lot of bands manage to send 2 songs into my top 600.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): ANARCHISTS, 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 15th, 2020, 3:26 pm

Armoreska wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 9:17 am
You should pick up an A-Ha compilation. I try to do that when I like 1 album but don't feel like listening to the whole discog.
That's a good idea. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 15th, 2020, 4:45 pm

kongs_speech wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 9:12 pm
ABBA - Ring Ring
ABBA - Super Trouper
ABBA - Voulez-vous
ABBA - Waterloo
Where's Arrival (possibly their best album) and The Album (with my fav of theirs)? :/
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 15th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Armoreska wrote:
May 15th, 2020, 4:45 pm
kongs_speech wrote:
May 13th, 2020, 9:12 pm
ABBA - Ring Ring
ABBA - Super Trouper
ABBA - Voulez-vous
ABBA - Waterloo
Where's Arrival (possibly their best album) and The Album (with my fav of theirs)? :/
I've already heard both before this and gave them each a 4/5.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 15th, 2020, 8:40 pm

#007: ABBA - Ring Ring

1. Ring Ring (Bara du slog en signal) – 2.1/3
2. Another Town, Another Train – 1.8/3
3. Disillusion – 2.1/3
4. People Need Love – 1.5/3
5. I Saw It in the Mirror – 1.5/3
6. Nina, Pretty Ballerina – 1.5/3
7. Love Isn't Easy (But It Sure is Hard Enough) – 1.2/3
8. Me and Bobby and Bobby's Brother – 2.1/3
9. He is Your Brother – 1.2/3
10. Ring Ring (English Version) – 2.1/3
11. I Am Just a Girl – 1.2/3
12. Rock'n'Roll Band – 2.1/3

[20.4/36]

Avg: 2.83
Score: 2.5/5

Review: ABBA's debut, initially released under the confusing name Benny Borjn & Agnetha Frida, is interesting only for the growing pains on display. The melodies are there, but the songwriting is frequently insipid, as the band had not yet mastered their craft. Tracks like "I Am Just a Girl" are downright bad. It's not an awful record by any means, and there is clearly some potential here, but if it's classic ABBA you're after, look further into their discography.

Will I listen to more from this band? Yes, I have three albums left in the ABBA discography.

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 15th, 2020, 9:42 pm

#008: ABBA - Super Trouper

1. Super Trouper – 3.6/4
2. The Winner Takes It All - 5/5
3. On and On and On – 3.6/4
4. Andante, Andante - 4/5
5. Me and I – 4.5/5
6. Happy New Year – 4/4
7. Our Last Summer – 3.6/4
8. The Piper – 2.7/3
9. Lay All Your Love on Me - 5/5
10. The Way Old Friends Do (Live at Wembley Arena, London, England, 1979) – 2.7/3

[38.7/42]

Avg: 4.61
Score: 4.5/5

Review: Is ABBA becoming one of my favorite bands? It seems that way. Their penultimate album, Super Trouper, is another brilliant collection of finely crafted Swedish pop bliss, very easy to recommend to anyone with the slightest interest in popular music. It's astonishing how much ABBA's songwriting, both in the musical and lyrical sense, had grown since their lackluster debut LP. I saw some folks on RYM dissing "Happy New Year" as this record's weak point, and I couldn't disagree more. The song is gorgeous, as is the whole album. If I have a criticism, it's that one of ABBA's best songs, "Elaine," was merely a b-side.

Will I hear more from this artist? Two albums left!

kongs_speech

Post by kongs_speech » May 15th, 2020, 11:02 pm

#009: ABBA - Voulez-Vous

1. As Good as New – 2.4/3
2. Voulez-Vous – 4.5/5
3. I Have a Dream - 5/5
4. Angeleyes – 3.6/4
5. The King Has Lost His Crown – 3.2/4
6. Does Your Mother Know - 3/3
7. If It Wasn't for the Nights – 4.5/5
8. Chiquitita – 4.5/5
9. Lovers (Live a Little Longer) – 2.8/4
10. Kisses of Fire – 2.4/3

[35.9/41]

Avg: 4.38

Reason for inclusion: I gave The Visitors a 5/5 and Super Trouper a 4.5/5.

Review: Unsurprisingly, Voulez-Vous is another very impressive group of songs from ABBA. I don't have too much to say that I haven't said about their other work. There is no shortage of wonderful songs here. "Lovers (Live a Little Longer)" is a nice enough track, but it easily stands out as the weakest. Replacing it with one of the album's b-sides, the irresistibly catchy "Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)," would have made for a slightly stronger album. Still, I think this qualifies as an essential pop album.

Will I hear more from this artist? Only one ABBA LP left! I'm not ready for my journey to be over. Now that they're one of my favorites, this group will forever remain in heavy rotation for me.
Last edited by kongs_speech on May 15th, 2020, 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.