Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Crime, Directed by Women, Indian Subcontinent
Film of the Week: The Music of Chance, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

1 album, 1+ listen/day for one week. Recommend something.

sebby

Re: 1 album, 1+ listen/day for one week. Recommend something.

Post by sebby » January 21st, 2020, 6:44 am

Armoreska wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 2:03 pm
peeptoad wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 2:32 pm
Funkadelic- Hardcore Jollies

or Kyuss- Sky Valley if the former doesn't tickle your fancy. ;)
:wub:

Wait, you're listening to the same album everyday? That's weird.
YOU'RE WEIRD

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 21st, 2020, 7:31 am

It's not weird. It's weird to dismiss an album after just one listen, so giving something a chance for a week with multiple listenings makes perfect sense. I wish I had the time and dedication to do so.
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

sebby

Post by sebby » January 21st, 2020, 12:56 pm

Anathema - Weather Systems

Day 1 - Listen 1

In most things I prefer minimalism (say hello, avatar). This is not that. This is grandiose. Not what I typically listen to. Instrumentally, vocally, lyrically, thematically - it's a lot to take in. I do like these things at times though; I rate Elliott Smith's later work as a Brian WIlson-esque sound-obsessed studio monster just as highly as his delicate and spare early work, for example. That said, there is an earnestness here that feels ... strange? It's hard to tell if the cliches and easy metaphors are indicative of a weak pen or if there is something intentional behind it, like a wickedly well-crafted over the top melodrama.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » January 21st, 2020, 6:18 pm

joachimt wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 7:31 am
It's not weird. It's weird to dismiss an album after just one listen, so giving something a chance for a week with multiple listenings makes perfect sense. I wish I had the time and dedication to do so.
I agree. It usually takes me much more than one shot at an album before I find whether I really like it or not. The immediate gratification sometimes runs out after 2 or 3 times, and at other times certain songs grow on you slowly.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 21st, 2020, 6:42 pm

sebby wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 12:56 pm

Day 1 - Listen 1

In most things I prefer minimalism (say hello, avatar). This is not that. This is grandiose. Not what I typically listen to. Instrumentally, vocally, lyrically, thematically - it's a lot to take in. I do like these things at times though; I rate Elliott Smith's later work as a Brian WIlson-esque sound-obsessed studio monster just as highly as his delicate and spare early work, for example. That said, there is an earnestness here that feels ... strange? It's hard to tell if the cliches and easy metaphors are indicative of a weak pen or if there is something intentional behind it, like a wickedly well-crafted over the top melodrama.
Sounds like a promising start. :thumbsup:
ICM-profile

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 21st, 2020, 6:59 pm

sebby wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 5:11 am
house
Read the opening post again and realized I read this as "house - the electronic music niche", not "house - the 90s definition that pretty much means all electronic music".

My suggestion definitely falls under the latter (can't get more electronic that that really), so if that's the case maybe go with The Fading Collection - Interactive Family Radio instead

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » January 22nd, 2020, 12:55 am

cinephage wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 6:18 pm
joachimt wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 7:31 am
I agree. It usually takes me much more than one shot at an album before I find whether I really like it or not. The immediate gratification sometimes runs out after 2 or 3 times, and at other times certain songs grow on you slowly.
I disagree, though partly agree. Rewatches/re-listens/re-reads can sometimes be beneficial (particularly if you already liked something to begin with), but you only need to get punched in the face once to know you don't like it; a revisit isn't always necessary. You might get used to a punch in the face and it becomes less painful, but the journey and end result aren't really worth it. I think sebby's experiment is interesting, though.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » January 22nd, 2020, 2:26 pm

I hated maximalist and bombastic production until I heard the susumu album I suggested. The first track did throw me off at first. Formal vocals, electronic sounds, a heavy drum beat, strings, and a choir. However, by the end of the album I was crying because of its beauty and knew that I heard what is easily one of the greatest albums ever made.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » January 22nd, 2020, 2:45 pm

Susumu is a genre all of itself. Amazing music, completely unique sound.

sebby

Post by sebby » January 26th, 2020, 8:09 am

Days 2-6 - Listens 2-6

Haven't said much because I can't really come up with any new thoughts on this one. I sit at a distance from this album. It hasn't engaged me. The musicianship is above competent, but for me there is little else there.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 26th, 2020, 8:22 am

:(
ICM-profile

sebby

Post by sebby » January 26th, 2020, 8:23 am

joachimt wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 8:22 am
I feel like I'll be breaking a lotta hearts in this thread.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » January 26th, 2020, 9:02 am

Can I recommend the following album: Ayreon - The Human Equation

Please note this is a nostalgic album for me, even though I don't normally listen to comparable artists but this one is simply great.
The whole album has a story line, check the song names, I will copy paste a short passage of wikipedia:

"The album explores the idea of psychological rebirth, and follows the story of a man who, after falling into a coma following a car accident, is confronted with his past, his emotions, and his current situation as he lays trapped inside his own mind. "
I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

sebby

Post by sebby » January 26th, 2020, 11:51 am

Coryn wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 9:02 am

Please note this is a nostalgic album for me, even though I don't normally listen to comparable artists but this one is simply great.
The whole album has a story line, check the song names, I will copy paste a short passage of wikipedia:

"The album explores the idea of psychological rebirth, and follows the story of a man who, after falling into a coma following a car accident, is confronted with his past, his emotions, and his current situation as he lays trapped inside his own mind. "
Sounds like an interesting album, but ultimately breaks this rule
≤ 60 mins
I wouldn't likely be able to give it a listen every day due to the length.

Coryn

Post by Coryn » January 26th, 2020, 12:55 pm

sebby wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 11:51 am
Coryn wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 9:02 am

Sounds like an interesting album, but ultimately breaks this rule
≤ 60 mins
I wouldn't likely be able to give it a listen every day due to the length.
My bad, then for something totally different. I've been listening to MGMT quite a bid lately. Kids was always a favorite of mine but turns out there are a lot more amazing songs to listen to from one of their first albums.

MGMT - Oracular Spectacular

I saved Latin, what did you ever do ?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 26th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Nooooooo, don't replace Ayreon!!!

If you can't make it, just do:
cd1
cd2
cd1
cd2
cd1
cd2

His whole discography is amazing. :wub:
ICM-profile

sebby

Post by sebby » January 27th, 2020, 9:57 am

Days 7 - Final listen and thoughts

Believe it or not no miraculous change in thinking since my last post.

Final rating: 1.5/5

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » January 27th, 2020, 10:58 am

You broke my heart. :'(
ICM-profile

peeptoad

Post by peeptoad » January 27th, 2020, 3:18 pm

sebby wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 8:23 am
joachimt wrote:
January 26th, 2020, 8:22 am
I feel like I'll be breaking a lotta hearts in this thread.
If you diss Bootsy them'll be fighting words!

I kid only... B)

sebby

Post by sebby » January 28th, 2020, 9:39 am

Tindersticks - Tindersticks

Day 1 - Listen 1

No one can convince me this is not a Nick Cave album. If you attempt to do so I will throw you into a lake.

Threats of violence aside, I did like this well enough upon first listen, though it bordered on being a bit excessive.

cinephage
Donator

Post by cinephage » January 28th, 2020, 1:37 pm

I personally find Tindersticks to be sweet and Nick Cave bitter (I do love both, so there I am).

But there is certainly a proximity between them, their voices are within a similar range.

sebby

Post by sebby » January 28th, 2020, 11:03 pm

At least on this album there's almost a 100% overlap, vocally -- both in range and ... delivery? (I don't know the right term here). Did some googling bc I legit thought this may have been a Nick Cave project and it turns out that yeah he was an inspiration/influence for Tindersticks and that the two also toured together. So makes sense. As far as sweet vs bitter. Probably. I haven't really digested this album enough to talk much about it thematically. There's a restrained bombastic sound that's also similar to Cave, but it is a little less doomy. Lyrically can't say, as with music like this the words typically enter my ear holes as the last thing.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » January 28th, 2020, 11:17 pm

Desaparecidos - Read Music/Speak Spanish

sebby

Post by sebby » January 29th, 2020, 10:41 am

Day 2 - Listen 2

Ok, so maybe about 40% of the songs feel like a 1:1 Nick Cave homage. And while I still think the whole shebang is too much, still too excessive, the bombastic nature of some of the songs is starting to at least feel fitting and even a little welcoming. A few tunes are nearing playlist-worthiness, especially the closer.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 3rd, 2020, 1:36 pm

Days 3-7 - Listens 3-7

Like the Anathema album, the opinion I formed by day 3 is one that stuck. There wasn't much evolution of thought beyond that with subsequent listens. Tindersticks has a White Album problem -- it's just too long; if half the tracks were dropped you'd have a dope little album. In trying to be so large, in including every half-decent track, they've left me with a bit of a bloated album to work through. Could have been a top album of its year, but there's too many tracks I would skip if I weren't wedded to the dignity of this hallowed project of mine.

Final verdict: 2.5/5

Goodest tunes:

sebby

Post by sebby » February 3rd, 2020, 1:37 pm

Now starting the Judy Collins. Two Leonard Cohen covers? Including the best Leonard song?! Fuck yeah, Judy.

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » February 3rd, 2020, 6:17 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 11:17 pm
BTW, is it okay if I change this as it gets closer to review time and I knew more of your musical tastes?

It's a great album, but it may be not for everyone.

nimimerkillinen

Post by nimimerkillinen » February 3rd, 2020, 6:19 pm

Armoreska wrote:
January 17th, 2020, 9:16 pm
nimimerkillinen wrote:
January 16th, 2020, 6:58 pm
Comus - First Utterance
haha epic pick. Song to Comus is a megahit
all are great imo :wub:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 3rd, 2020, 11:01 pm

sebby wrote:
January 21st, 2020, 6:44 am
Armoreska wrote:
January 20th, 2020, 2:03 pm
peeptoad wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 2:32 pm
Funkadelic- Hardcore Jollies

or Kyuss- Sky Valley if the former doesn't tickle your fancy. ;)
:wub:

Wait, you're listening to the same album everyday? That's weird.
YOU'RE WEIRD
Why thank you I sure am
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

sebby

Post by sebby » February 10th, 2020, 2:52 pm

Kublai Khan wrote:
February 3rd, 2020, 6:17 pm
Kublai Khan wrote:
January 28th, 2020, 11:17 pm
BTW, is it okay if I change this as it gets closer to review time and I knew more of your musical tastes?

It's a great album, but it may be not for everyone.
I dunno, if I allow changes midstream, what happens next? Gay marriage?! It's a slippery slope.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 10th, 2020, 3:15 pm

Judy Collins - Wildflowers (1967)

Days 1-7, Listens 1-7

No time this past week for updates. Let's get the negative out of the way first. I don't like lush production unless it has an element of weirdness/fuckery behind it. This record tends to play things pretty straight. I also don't much care for lush, operatic voices. I prefer a Dylan or Cohen to a Collins or Baez, most of the time. I like a shitty voice, what can I say. I don't know what the appeal is.

All that said, this is an enjoyable little collection of songs. Some really strong covers. I like her version of "Both SIdes Now" better than the young joni version (but the old Joni version is best). Generally a pleasant and easy listen. Sometimes that makes for a nice respite from the usual rotation. I have self-prescribed 5 Sam Cooke songs/day for a reason, after all. The mood tilts up a bit. Anyway, yeah, the voice. If it was good but didn't sound so flawless/operatic, I could probably really dig this. Like a Jenny Lewis voice -- untrained and effortlessly pretty w/ the occasional giveaway of that . . . untrainedness. That's good shit.

Goodest tunes:

Final Verdict: 2.75/5

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 10th, 2020, 3:21 pm

sebby wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 3:15 pm
I like a shitty voice, what can I say. I don't know what the appeal is.
I feel the same way. I prefer emotion over talent, and a shitty voice brings out emotion in a much more effective way. It's a shame that you don't like abrasive music because that's where shitty vocals shine the most imo.

Plus a lot of time, shitty voices is just stylized singing. Most of the time they can sing formally, but CHOOSE not to because singing off-key suits the music more.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 10th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 3:21 pm
sebby wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 3:15 pm
I like a shitty voice, what can I say. I don't know what the appeal is.
I feel the same way. I prefer emotion over talent, and a shitty voice brings out emotion in a much more effective way. It's a shame that you don't like abrasive music because that's where shitty vocals shine the most imo.

Plus a lot of time, shitty voices is just stylized singing. Most of the time they can sing formally, but CHOOSE not to because singing off-key suits the music more.
Yeah it's often stylized for affectation (Tom Waits most obvious example? Affect up the wazoo). But even someone like a Tom Petty. Everyone knows that Tom Petty voice and most dig it. He does his thing well. Among rock "voices" he doesn't have the range or thunder to stand with the great ones like Freddy Mercury or Robert Plant or Dio. But he can really sing and I prefer him to them. Not a big fan of Nirvana, but same is true of Kurt Cobain.

There's a line for me that stops before noise starts. It's kind of the same with film. I am partial to a punk aesthetic, narrative-free film, acting that's entrancing in an untrained way etc. Just being a micro-budget or experimental film gets me interested in something. But again there is a line where things are too rough and amateur and avant garde and become a turn-off.

Alternatively, though, I do like finding outsider recordings where the dude/gal has an amazing voice. Bobb Trimble for instance. Weirdo music overlaid with heavenly vocals really works.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 10th, 2020, 4:09 pm

Easily one of the best shitty vocalists

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 10th, 2020, 4:15 pm

Also this guy. This is one of the most polarizing albums in recent memory. His voice even breaks but then I realized it always breaks at the same part of the verse so it has to be intentional

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » February 10th, 2020, 5:16 pm

I haven't listened to any of the music people are citing as showcases for "shitty voices" but if shitty voices just means voices that wouldn't pass muster in an opera company, then I don't think the good/bad or great/shitty paradigm should apply to singing. For me, a good voice can mean someone with vocal control and range, but it can equally mean someone whose voice lacks those abilities but has an abundance of character. I think Tom Waits has one of the all-time great singing voices.

beavis

Post by beavis » February 10th, 2020, 5:22 pm

this could be a top5 of favorite albums for me

1. The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)
2. Joanna Newsom - Ys (2006)
3. Björk - Vespertine (2001)
4. Miranda Sex Garden - Fairytales of Slavery (1994)
5. The Cure - Pornography (1982)

number 4 on the list is maybe the most obscure, so that could be a suggestion to check out

the past year or so I've been listening more to death, doom and sludge though :)
Haven't done many major discoveries because of that, but I started listening to Oiseaux-Tempête, which could very well become one

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 11th, 2020, 12:18 am

blocho wrote:
February 10th, 2020, 5:16 pm
I haven't listened to any of the music people are citing as showcases for "shitty voices" but if shitty voices just means voices that wouldn't pass muster in an opera company, then I don't think the good/bad or great/shitty paradigm should apply to singing. For me, a good voice can mean someone with vocal control and range, but it can equally mean someone whose voice lacks those abilities but has an abundance of character. I think Tom Waits has one of the all-time great singing voices.
Yea I don’t care if someone can hold a tune or not, a good voice has to have something else. I don’t really like Tom Waits, but he does have an interesting voice (wouldn’t personally call it great, but definitely full of character). I think Stephin Merritt has one of the most beautiful voices but he’s not ‘technically’ a good singer.

My ex annoying housemate and aspiring singer has possibly the worst voice in the world. She could occasionally hold a tune with the right song, but she was incredibly generic and plain. And when it wasn’t the right song it was just painful. She’s released an EP and it is so awful.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » February 12th, 2020, 10:47 pm

May I suggest Loma by Loma (2018), which I've been liking a lot lately.