Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Favorite Movies (Results), 1945 (Results), 1929 awards (Apr 4th), South Asia (Apr 25th), Doubling the Canon (Ratings Apr 30th)
Challenges: Doubling the Canon, Nordic, 1950s
Film of the Week: Valkoinen peura, May nominations (May 1st)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1F: Brazil vs Greece vs Japan vs Poland (Apr 5th), 1G: Germany vs Pakistan vs Ukraine vs USA (Apr 22nd)

1 album, 1+ listen/day for one week. Recommend something.

sebby

Re: 1 album, 1+ listen/day for one week. Recommend something.

Post by sebby » February 18th, 2020, 1:49 pm

R.E.M. - Automatic for the People (1992)

Days 1-7, Listens 1-7

Wasn't looking forward to this based on the dozen or so rem songs i knew of prior from MTV and rock radio. a few I liked, a few were kinda okay, the rest just awful.

Surprisesurprise the album tracks are better than the radio hits. At least on this LP. Aside from a few clunkers. man on the moon is actually quite good until the chorus kicks in, and then it just breaks the song. Bummer. There's nothing really great here, but nothing aside from ignoreland is bad. All in all it's solid post-jangle jangle with a side of slick alternative rock. I'll probably check out some of their earlier stuff.

Final verdict: 2.75/5

Goodest tunes:

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » February 18th, 2020, 3:12 pm

Murmur is a hell of a lot better than Automatic for the People. A lot more jangle and even kind of post-punk

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 18th, 2020, 5:07 pm

It's rather hard to pick an album at random using just a few clues as to what the person you're choosing for is interested in musically. All in all, I hope my choice didn't feel like a total chore to get through.

The last two songs (Nightswimming and Find the River) make it for me. It ties the rather unintentional theme (if you believe what the band says about the album) of aging and death together quite well.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 19th, 2020, 12:32 am

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 3:12 pm
Murmur is a hell of a lot better than Automatic for the People. A lot more jangle and even kind of post-punk
Yeah that's the one that looks most interesting to me.

Fun(ish) fact: I decided to move to Athens. Georgia - where REM is from - about 8 years ago. I lasted 3 days before I got the fuck out of there. Whatever I was expecting, it wasn't that.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 19th, 2020, 12:35 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
February 18th, 2020, 5:07 pm
It's rather hard to pick an album at random using just a few clues as to what the person you're choosing for is interested in musically. All in all, I hope my choice didn't feel like a total chore to get through.

The last two songs (Nightswimming and Find the River) make it for me. It ties the rather unintentional theme (if you believe what the band says about the album) of aging and death together quite well.
The randomness is the fun part. I didn't want people recommending the kind of stuff that fits squarely in my wheelhouse. 2.75 might seem a low score, but for me it means it's better than more than half the albums I have ever heard. Only one album has felt like a chore so far; this wasn't one.

sebby

Post by sebby » February 25th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours (1977)

Days 1-7, Listens 1-7

Fleetwood mac draws a mature square box around themselves to fend off the young punks shaping the music scene in 1977. Music for 52 year olds if ever one could call something music for 52 year olds. Only 17 more years and I can properly appreciate this LP.

Don't Stop is second only to Hotel California on my list of most hated soft rock hits. If anyone knows how I can listen to this song -7 times to balance out the 7 times I had to endure it this past week, do let me know. Songbird and Oh Daddy are also on my shitlist, but moreso for their bland nature. Vanilla ice cream sans the sugar. Or the vanilla.

The other 8 songs, though, range from good to fucking fantastic. Quite a surprise. I first heard this album an eon ago and had it rated a 2/5 on rym so clearly I thought it had some merit but that the bad outweighed the good. Pouring it into my ears for 7 straight days dampened the haterection a bit and allowed a few songs to seize upon a second chance. Chief among these is Go Your Own Way. That's a decent fucking moody pop song. Used to hate it. Now I kinda like it. Enough not to feel my finger itching for the skip button, anyway.

If we could just keep the 8 goodies and toss the rest we could cobble together a pretty fine little record. I still can't get behind this as an all-time great rock album or anything so wacky, but it's a nice bit of seventies pop rock that has a couple more exclamation points than most other similars.

Final verdict: 3+/5

Goodest tunes:

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » February 25th, 2020, 12:23 pm

That went better than expected. :lol:

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » February 25th, 2020, 6:10 pm

I think the fact that that album even got finished merits high praise in itself. Look for the movie version coming any time now.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 26th, 2020, 7:09 pm

Dont Stop is good.
"It'll be heeere better than before"

Oh Daddy is not a title I look forward to but an OK song.
Songbird is good too.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

sebby

Post by sebby » March 6th, 2020, 7:01 pm

I just forgot to post impressions of the jorge ben LP last week. will do so soon.

sebby

Post by sebby » March 7th, 2020, 9:20 am

Jorge Ben - África Brasil (1976)

Days 1-7, Listens 1-7

MPB just doesn't do it for me. Perhaps it's too life-of-the-party for my taste. I prefer my music angrier, sadder, simpler, more laid back, more mentally ill, these kinds of things. That said, I've not heard that much MPB so maybe I shouldn't make too broad a statement. Clube da Esquina is on my listen-pile and seems a bit different/more interesting compared to what I typically think of when I think MPB.

Anyway, África Brasil. An easy daily listen. No bad songs. But nothing clicked with me too much. No playlist songs. Nothing I'll probably come back to. But not bad enough to put me off of him or samba-rock completely. It felt like solid background music (backhanded compliment alert) so more focused listening did make me a bit fidgety.

Final verdict: 2.7/5

Goodest tunes:

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » March 7th, 2020, 1:45 pm

Heck, I feel bad for recommending this given your dislike of MPB. That being said, I'm glad you didn't dislike the album. Ponta de Lanca Africano is also my favorite track.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 7th, 2020, 3:26 pm

I've had 9 people listen to my nominee because of my rating. 5 of them gave it an 8, 2 a 9, and 2 a 10. I'll be shocked if it doesn't do well, and that album before ticked all the boxes of stuff I don't like. Orchestral pop, formal vocals, a sentimental mood, and maximalist.

That being said, I think I might have the perfect nominee for you in the future. It's angry, sad, manic vocals (some of the best vocals I've ever heard), and not really abrasive. The guitars have a noise rock style to it but it's not really noisy. He only screams for like 10 seconds too and it's more of emotional screaming rather than the metal kind.

sebby

Post by sebby » March 7th, 2020, 9:10 pm

Pretentious Hipster wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 3:26 pm
I've had 9 people listen to my nominee because of my rating. 5 of them gave it an 8, 2 a 9, and 2 a 10. I'll be shocked if it doesn't do well, and that album before ticked all the boxes of stuff I don't like. Orchestral pop, formal vocals, a sentimental mood, and maximalist.

That being said, I think I might have the perfect nominee for you in the future. It's angry, sad, manic vocals (some of the best vocals I've ever heard), and not really abrasive. The guitars have a noise rock style to it but it's not really noisy. He only screams for like 10 seconds too and it's more of emotional screaming rather than the metal kind.
I was stunned that the album was maximalist after seeing the album cover. I just assumed this was gonna be some minimalist outsider weirdo music. Nooooooope. The first track felt like an out of nowhere assault. But I really enjoyed it. Thoughts on rest of album will be made available in 24 hours.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 7th, 2020, 9:45 pm

What's your idea of a 5/5 album?

The album I picked is probably the only one I would agree to listen 7 days in a row
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

sebby

Post by sebby » March 8th, 2020, 12:35 am

Armoreska wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 9:45 pm
What's your idea of a 5/5 album?

The album I picked is probably the only one I would agree to listen 7 days in a row
This is a partial list of 4.5+ rated albums and leans toward mainstream since I lazy-rate stuff on RYM, typically as I come across it looking at all-time, genre, and decade lists. I try to rate things right after I listen to them these days though. I'd say there are 100-150 LPs that would make a list of stuff rated 4.5/5 or higher. Punk, soul, rock, pop, and hip-hop (I haven't gone through the rym hiphop, country, classical, jazz or girl-group lists yet which is why there's little to nothing of that nature below) are the genres I favor most. Punk and Power-Pop would be better represented on a list of singles, though. And I've barely rated any comps, and I do love my comps.

Anything rated 3.5 or higher is a significant like for me.

Bobb Trimble - Harvest of Dreams
Jay Reatard - Blood Visions
Hackamore Brick - One Kiss Leads to Another
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
Various Artists - The Harder They Come
Zero Boys - Vicious Circle
Gino Washington - Out of This World
The Velvet Underground & Nico - The Velvet Underground & Nico
The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground
The Quick - Mondo Deco
T. Rex - The Slider
Sparks - Propaganda
Sparks - Kimono My House
Nobunny - Love Visions
The Modern Lovers - The Modern Lovers
Neil Merryweather - Kryptonite
Love - Forever Changes
Lee Hazlewood - The LHI Years: Singles, Nudes & Backsides (1968-71)
The Kinks - Arthur or the Decline and Fall of the British Empire
George Harrison - All Things Must Pass
The Beach Boys - The Smile Sessions
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Big Star - Radio City
Big Star - #1 Record
Gene Clark - No Other
James Carr - You Got My Mind Messed Up
James Carr - A Man Needs a Woman
Sam Cooke - Live at the Harlem Square Club, 1963
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
The Dutchess and the Duke - She's the Dutchess, He's the Duke
Philip Glass - Mishima
J.T. IV ‎– Cosmic Lightning
Townes Van Zandt - Townes Van Zandt
The Kinks - The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars
Every elliott smith album but roman candle
KBD #1
KBD #4
Bloodstains across Texas
Bloodstains across the Midwest

sebby

Post by sebby » March 10th, 2020, 4:56 pm

Susumu Hirasawa - 救済の技法 (Kyuusai no Gihou) (1998)

Days 1-7, Listens 1-7

I feel like there is so much going on here that a week's worth of listening isn't enough to make sense of it all. Everything's good, some of it very good. The symphony of synthetic sounds this dude creates is thick and wonderful. This more than any of the albums I've listened to so far makes me keen to explore further. Two thumbs up to the sky.

Final verdict: 3.7/5

Goodest tunes:

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » March 10th, 2020, 5:05 pm

Not my submission, but always cool to see new people being introduced into the work of Hirasawa. Such a unique sound.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 10th, 2020, 5:26 pm

heh I've heard the best tunes before bc it's already been promoted to death

I guess I should listen to the album too since I love Berserk
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

sebby

Post by sebby » March 10th, 2020, 6:39 pm

Onderhond wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:05 pm
Not my submission, but always cool to see new people being introduced into the work of Hirasawa. Such a unique sound.
I think I only heard his stuff before via Paprika, but it didn't make much of an impact. So this was pretty close to a blind first impression. It's nice in this day and age to encounter interesting shit you know nothing about. Reminds me of being in college and encountering mp3 blogs (are these still a thing?) and hearing music from bands who only ever released a single 7" 30 years ago or were brand new and just put some demos or something up on their myspace. Discovery is a shit-ton of fun.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 11th, 2020, 2:58 am

sebby wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:39 pm
Onderhond wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:05 pm
I think I only heard his stuff before via Paprika, but it didn't make much of an impact. So this was pretty close to a blind first impression. It's nice in this day and age to encounter interesting shit you know nothing about. Reminds me of being in college and encountering mp3 blogs (are these still a thing?) and hearing music from bands who only ever released a single 7" 30 years ago or were brand new and just put some demos or something up on their myspace. Discovery is a shit-ton of fun.
This album of his is great too https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... %B2/siren/
This is also perfect but it's more in the techno/industrial pop side https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... E-kai_kai/

He also had an avant-garde post-punk band https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album ... rspective/

If you think his formal voice is good, wait until you hear his stylized "shitty" voice

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 12th, 2020, 7:57 am

Listened. Now I have 2 Hirasawa albums in my favs list.
The 2018 album title looks like an emoji.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

sebby

Post by sebby » March 12th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Where are you guys finding his stuff online? YT audio is shit so I'd like to find some FLAC or at least HQ MP3s. His CDs are generally pretty damn pricey.

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 12th, 2020, 7:27 pm

sebby wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 7:24 pm
Where are you guys finding his stuff online? YT audio is shit so I'd like to find some FLAC or at least HQ MP3s. His CDs are generally pretty damn pricey.
Soulseek

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 12th, 2020, 10:09 pm

sebby wrote:
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4813568
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

sebby

Post by sebby » March 12th, 2020, 10:23 pm

Armoreska wrote:
March 12th, 2020, 10:09 pm
sebby wrote:
https://rutracker.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4813568
:thumbsup:

sebby

Post by sebby » March 14th, 2020, 6:12 am

Stage Dive - And Then There's a Rose (2006)

Days 1-5, Listens 1-5

日本 に 帰り たい です

sebby

Post by sebby » March 18th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Days 6-7, Listens 6-7

Imagine one of those 90s teen shows like Dawson's Creek, where the gang head into the city to a "cool" rock club. This is the band that's playing. You got some long haired stoners, a hot alt girl wearing a bondage collar, and a 37 year old lead singer who rocks too many goth accessories. They are very adept at creating generic 90s rock sounds. This album, of course, was released in 2006. And the current year is 2020. So.

That's all I got.

Final verdict: 0.5/5

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 19th, 2020, 11:57 am

Ouch! This album is not even on discogs.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

brokenface
Donator

Post by brokenface » March 19th, 2020, 4:57 pm

brokenface wrote:
February 12th, 2020, 10:47 pm
May I suggest Loma by Loma (2018), which I've been liking a lot lately.
I know this one's a while off but looking at your list of 4.5+ albums, I think a safer bet is my current obsession: Palace Music - Viva Last Blues. However this might be one you're familiar with already. Loma's more of a punt. You choose!

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Post by Pretentious Hipster » March 19th, 2020, 4:59 pm

sebby wrote:
March 18th, 2020, 7:37 pm

Days 6-7, Listens 6-7

Imagine one of those 90s teen shows like Dawson's Creek, where the gang head into the city to a "cool" rock club. This is the band that's playing. You got some long haired stoners, a hot alt girl wearing a bondage collar, and a 37 year old lead singer who rocks too many goth accessories. They are very adept at creating generic 90s rock sounds. This album, of course, was released in 2006. And the current year is 2020. So.

That's all I got.

Final verdict: 0.5/5
Cinepolis wrote:
January 15th, 2020, 8:26 pm
I first heard their music through "Night of the Clown", a 90s indie slasher that used their song "Silent Tears" in the trailer.

sebby

Post by sebby » March 20th, 2020, 11:06 am

Yessss I feel so validated.

Cinepolis

Post by Cinepolis » March 20th, 2020, 6:46 pm

Lol, I hope it wasn't too unbearable for you. I'm surprised myself that I like their music, considering I'm not really into Rock or Goth.
Armoreska wrote:
March 19th, 2020, 11:57 am
Ouch! This album is not even on discogs.
Yes, very obscure (sadly?). Under 200 clicks on Youtube.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 20th, 2020, 7:09 pm

How does it feel to listen to an album you hate 7 times?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

sebby

Post by sebby » March 21st, 2020, 4:33 am

Armoreska wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 7:09 pm
How does it feel to listen to an album you hate 7 times?
The beautiful thing about PTSD is that it can erase the memory of a self-inflicted trauma.

sebby

Post by sebby » March 31st, 2020, 3:34 am

Vangelis - Voices (1995)

Days 1-7, Listens 1-7

It's quite tranquil, which is nice. But I can't keep focus on it while listening. Other than a few artists, anything ambient fades into the background for me. Study music. Music for sleeping. Music for the spa. That sort of thing. Eno or Joanna Brouk can keep my mind from wandering away. This couldn't quite.

Final verdict: 2.5/5

The good tune(s):

sebby

Post by sebby » March 31st, 2020, 3:40 am

Comus - First Utterance (1971)

Days 1-7, Listens 1-7

In a way I think this is very good and still I don't think I like it at all. On paper it checks a lot of boxes but I found it a distant listening experience. It's a well made dish that smells off and you just can't quite get past that odor, no matter how it tastes.

Final verdict: 1.5/5

The good tune(s):

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » March 31st, 2020, 4:01 pm

2.5 is still more than I expected. Too bad about Comus though.

My ranking of tracks on Voices goes like this
1. Come To Me
2. Voices - all-time 100 material
3. Ask The Mountains - all-time 1000 material
4. Echoes
5. Messages - all-time 2000 material
6. Losing Sleep (Still, My Heart)
7. Prelude
8. P.S. - strong tracks even though two of them have filler titles!
9. Dream In An Open Place - ambient closer
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434