Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 8 released June 27th)
Polls: 2010s (Results), 1974 (Results), 2019 awards (Jul 11th)
Challenges: Canada, Low Rated, Director
Film of the Week: Vinyan, August nominations (Jul 31st)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2E: Georgia vs Ukraine (Jul 16th)

Lammetje's Favorite Country & Western Songs

Lammetje
Donator

Lammetje's Favorite Country & Western Songs

Post by Lammetje » October 13th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Y'all ready for another quality music list from me? I will share my top 50 favorite country and western songs, of course in the form of a good old countdown. I've been listening to country quite a lot lately, so I felt it was time to make a list. Hopefully there are some more folks around here who can appreciate country music! :cowbow:

The listShow
1. Alison Krauss & Union Station - When You Say Nothing at All (1995)
2. Alan Jackson - Gone Country (1994)
3. Alan Jackson - Little Bitty (1996)
4. Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues (1955)
5. Lady Antebellum - Need You Now (2009)
6. John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads (1971)
7. Johnny Cash - Man in Black (1971)
8. Carpenters - Sweet, Sweet Smile (1977)
9. Crystal Gayle - Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue (1977)
10. John Denver - Thank God I'm a Country Boy (1974)
11. Loretta Lynn - Don't Come Home A-Drinkin' (With Lovin' on Your Mind) (1966)
12. The Sons of the Pioneers - Riders in the Sky (1949)
13. Johnny Cash - San Quentin (1969)
14. Charley Pride - Kiss an Angel Good Mornin' (1971)
15. Alan Jackson - Good Time (2008)
16. Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash - Long-Legged Guitar Pickin' Man (1967)
17. Alan Jackson - Small Town Southern Man (2007)
18. Brenda Lee - Take Me Back (1980)
19. Lefty Frizzell - If You've Got The Money I've Got The Time (1950)
20. Dolly Parton - Jolene (1973)
21. Alison Krauss - Simple Love (2007)
22. Alan Jackson - Midnight in Montgomery (1991)
23. Jim Reeves - He'll Have to Go (1959)
24. John Denver - Some Days Are Diamonds (Some Days Are Stone) (1981)
25. George Strait - Amarillo by Morning (1983)
26. Blake Shelton - Turnin' Me On (2017)
27. Ronnie Milsap - (There's) No Gettin' Over Me (1981)
28. Patsy Cline - She's Got You (1962)
29. Alison Krauss - Broadway (1995)
30. Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy (1975)
31. George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today (1980)
32. Alan Jackson - Country Boy (2008)
33. Hank Williams - Honky Tonk Blues (1952)
34. Tennessee Ernie Ford - Sixteen Tons (1955)
35. Loretta Lynn - You've Just Stepped In (From Stepping Out on Me) (1968)
36. Willie Nelson - Always on My Mind (1982)
37. Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue (1969)
38. Johnny Cash - Daddy Sang Bass (1968)
39. Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Faded Love (1950)
40. Kenny Rogers - The Gambler (1978)
41. Hank Williams - Howlin' at the Moon (1951)
42. Gene Autry - Back in the Saddle Again (1939)
43. Jeannie C. Riley - Harper Valley P.T.A. (1968)
44. Red Foley - Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy (1950)
45. Alison Krauss & Union Station - A Living Prayer (2004)
46. Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire (1963)
47. The Judds - Why Not Me (1984)
48. Tex Williams & His Western Caravan - Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) (1947)
49. Charlie Rich - Behind Closed Doors (1973)
50. David Lee Murphy - Party Crowd (1994)
Last edited by Lammetje on October 21st, 2019, 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
More memorable quotesShow
PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 13th, 2019, 8:17 pm

First, let us quickly go through the types of songs which don't qualify for my list. I realize that not everybody on this forum listens to country. Therefore it wouldn't suprise me if a genre like bluegrass would be mistaken for country by those who are not into these genres. Here's an example of a bluegrass song I like:
YouTubeShow

Then there's a couple of instrumental tracks I like which have kind of a country flavor, but not one that's strong enough for me to include them. Example:
YouTubeShow

Then there are songs which are classified as country by some, but I just don't hear it. Example:
YouTubeShow

Finally, the biggest category of country-ish songs which are ineligible: country pop! I say 'biggest category' because I could make my list significantly longer if I were to include country pop. Example:
YouTubeShow

That having said, not all songs on the list will be fully pop-free. :)

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 13th, 2019, 8:27 pm

Yeehaw!
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 13th, 2019, 9:28 pm

Before I start the countdown, I want to dedicate one post to a type of country I recently learned about: bro-country. From Wikipedia:
Bro-country is a subgenre of mainstream country music originating in the second decade of the 21st century that is influenced by 21st-century hip hop, hard rock and electronica. Bro-country songs are often about attractive young women, the consumption of alcohol, partying, and pickup trucks.
Funny word, huh? Here's an example of a bro-country song (from the album Tailgates & Tanlines):
YouTubeShow
If you ain't a ten you're a nine point nine
Tippin' n' spillin' that home made wine
On your tied up T-shirt
Someone took this song and five more, and made one mix out of them. This awesome video shows how similar some of these songs actually are:

Although Luke Bryan's "Drunk on You" does have guilty pleasure potential, it didn't make my top 50. Nor did any other bro-country song for that matter.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 13th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Good video, but conclusion surprises no one.
Terrible song, I hate it
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » October 13th, 2019, 9:51 pm

Wow, that 6 song mix. :blink:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 13th, 2019, 9:59 pm

Lammetje wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 8:17 pm
Then there's a couple of instrumental tracks I like which have kind of a country flavor, but not one that's strong enough for me to include them. Example:
YouTubeShow

This must be ragtime
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

sebby

Post by sebby » October 13th, 2019, 10:02 pm

What percentage of the list will be Townes songs? 100%? 175%? Eager to find out.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 14th, 2019, 1:38 am

As someone who practically only listened to country growing up, I'm particularly interested in how this unfolds. Especially from someone who isn't from the US.

:guns: :cowbow: :rip:
..............^dead cowboy

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 14th, 2019, 6:32 am

Armoreska wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 9:59 pm
Lammetje wrote:
October 13th, 2019, 8:17 pm
YouTubeShow

This must be ragtime
Yeah, I guess so.
Nathan Treadway wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 1:38 am
As someone who practically only listened to country growing up, I'm particularly interested in how this unfolds. Especially from someone who isn't from the US.

:guns: :cowbow: :rip:
..............^dead cowboy
I didn't grow up with country myself and I have a feeling there's still a lot to explore. So after I'm done posting my list, I'd be interested to hear from the real country boys and gals which artists they expected to see, but which didn't make it.

I like the emoticons by the way! :thumbsup:

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 14th, 2019, 6:41 am

These two were very close to making the top 50, but alas.

Loretta Lynn - Success
YouTubeShow

Hank Locklin - Please Help Me, I'm Falling
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 14th, 2019, 3:45 pm

50. David Lee Murphy - Party Crowd (1994)
YouTubeShow

49. Charlie Rich - Behind Closed Doors (1973)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 14th, 2019, 4:51 pm

48. Tex Williams & His Western Caravan - Smoke! Smoke! Smoke! (That Cigarette) (1947)
YouTubeShow

47. The Judds - Why Not Me (1984)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 14th, 2019, 6:49 pm

46. Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire (1963)

There must be a couple of Johnny Cash fans on this forum.
YouTubeShow

45. Alison Krauss & Union Station - A Living Prayer (2004)
YouTubeShow

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 14th, 2019, 9:51 pm

--Alison Krauss is a tough one.. She's more of a Bluegrass-Country-Gospel hybrid She's never really gotten much airplay on country radio along with others of her ilk like Ricky Skaggs, and to a lesser extent Vince Gill, but, wow that voice! (That song really fits her well, btw. I'd not heard it before.)

--Hopefully this isn't the last we see Johnny Cash. :)

--Never really did care for the Judds music (more so Wynonna's voice)

--There's songs of David Lee Murphy's I love a lot more.. I can listen to this entire album over and over:
SpoilerShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 15th, 2019, 6:02 am

44. Red Foley - Chattanoogie Shoe Shine Boy (1950)
YouTubeShow

43. Jeannie C. Riley - Harper Valley P.T.A. (1968)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 15th, 2019, 6:09 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 9:51 pm
--Alison Krauss is a tough one.. She's more of a Bluegrass-Country-Gospel hybrid She's never really gotten much airplay on country radio along with others of her ilk like Ricky Skaggs, and to a lesser extent Vince Gill, but, wow that voice! (That song really fits her well, btw. I'd not heard it before.)

--Hopefully this isn't the last we see Johnny Cash. :)

--Never really did care for the Judds music (more so Wynonna's voice)

--There's songs of David Lee Murphy's I love a lot more.. I can listen to this entire album over and over:
SpoilerShow
Yeah, Alison does a lot of bluegrass as well - I had to leave "Endless Highway" out of this list for that reason. Maybe "A Living Prayer" doesn't belong here either, I don't know.

I had already heard "Every Time I Get Around You", but I will check out a couple of other songs on that album. :)

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 15th, 2019, 4:05 pm

42. Gene Autry - Back in the Saddle Again (1939)

This is the oldest entry on the list.
YouTubeShow

41. Hank Williams - Howlin' at the Moon (1951)
YouTubeShow

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Reading this thread now, although I'm really not interested in country. I do love The Jayhawks though, which got a lot of country influences. Familiar with them, Lammetje?
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 15th, 2019, 5:39 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Reading this thread now, although I'm really not interested in country. I do love The Jayhawks though, which got a lot of country influences. Familiar with them, Lammetje?
I know the name, my parents listen to them. I've probably heard a song or two at some point but apparently they didn't make a lasting impression on me, as I cannot think of any Jayhawks song right now. You're welcome to recommend me one, but if it's country rock then please do it in another thread. :P

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 15th, 2019, 5:52 pm

40. Kenny Rogers - The Gambler (1978)
YouTubeShow

39. Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys - Faded Love (1950)
YouTubeShow

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 15th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Lammetje wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 5:39 pm
joachimt wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 5:04 pm
I know the name, my parents listen to them. I've probably heard a song or two at some point but apparently they didn't make a lasting impression on me, as I cannot think of any Jayhawks song right now. You're welcome to recommend me one, but if it's country rock then please do it in another thread. :P
I always find it hard to recommend songs, because I'm an album guy. "Hollywood Town Hall" is a classic.
ICM-profile

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 15th, 2019, 8:10 pm

38. Johnny Cash - Daddy Sang Bass (1968)
YouTubeShow

37. Johnny Cash - A Boy Named Sue (1969)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 16th, 2019, 6:21 am

36. Willie Nelson - Always on My Mind (1982)

I like Elvis's version a bit better, but Willie's version is more country.
YouTubeShow

35. Loretta Lynn - You've Just Stepped In (From Stepping Out on Me) (1968)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 16th, 2019, 3:43 pm

34. Tennessee Ernie Ford - Sixteen Tons (1955)
YouTubeShow

33. Hank Williams - Honky Tonk Blues (1952)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 16th, 2019, 4:18 pm

From an old music thread:
Lammetje wrote:
October 29th, 2017, 9:28 am
Can someone please break my posting streak, for example by commenting on the epicness of one or more of these songs? :whistling:
:whistling:

@Nate & J-Dog: I listened to the stuff you recommended. Not bad, but I wasn't blown away by it.

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 16th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Lammetje wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 4:18 pm
Lammetje wrote:
Can someone please break my posting streak, for example by commenting on the epicness of one or more of these songs? :whistling:

@Nate & J-Dog: I listened to the stuff you recommended. Not bad, but I wasn't blown away by it.
I wasn't blown away by your choices as well. I like Johnny Cash now and then though.
ICM-profile

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 16th, 2019, 9:46 pm

32. Alan Jackson - Country Boy (2008)
YouTubeShow

31. George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today (1980)
YouTubeShow

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 16th, 2019, 11:29 pm

B)
Lammetje wrote:
Lammetje wrote:

Well, there really isn't much to say about Johnny Cash that hasn't already been said. ;) I'm more into 90s stuff, which you haven't posted much of, yet at least, but, with the way the list thus far is shaping up, I have doubts that there's going to be much on it. Your list is really begging for some Garth Brooks, Chris LeDoux, Alabama or George Strait.

The best one of the last batch is probably 16 Tons. I always though it was much older than it actually is.

BTW, if you want a great Country Music movie, be sure to check out Pure Country.

RBG

Post by RBG » October 16th, 2019, 11:48 pm

george jones makes an appearance! :worship: you never know when he'll turn up

looking forward to see hank, merle and dolly :ph43r: (no garth brooks or alabama plz)
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

RBG

Post by RBG » October 17th, 2019, 12:04 am

and if you wanna see a real country music movie, watch payday with rip torn!! :cowbow:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069067/
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 17th, 2019, 6:33 am

30. Glen Campbell - Rhinestone Cowboy (1975)
YouTubeShow

29. Alison Krauss - Broadway (1995)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 17th, 2019, 6:36 am

Nathan Treadway wrote:
October 16th, 2019, 11:29 pm
B)
Lammetje wrote:
Lammetje wrote:

Well, there really isn't much to say about Johnny Cash that hasn't already been said. ;) I'm more into 90s stuff, which you haven't posted much of, yet at least, but, with the way the list thus far is shaping up, I have doubts that there's going to be much on it. Your list is really begging for some Garth Brooks, Chris LeDoux, Alabama or George Strait.

The best one of the last batch is probably 16 Tons. I always though it was much older than it actually is.

BTW, if you want a great Country Music movie, be sure to check out Pure Country.
I've never heard of Chris LeDoux. :$ Pure Country is now on my watchlist.
RBG wrote:
October 17th, 2019, 12:04 am
and if you wanna see a real country music movie, watch payday with rip torn!! :cowbow:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069067/
Also watchlisted. :)

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 17th, 2019, 7:50 pm

28. Patsy Cline - She's Got You (1962)
YouTubeShow

27. Ronnie Milsap - (There's) No Gettin' Over Me (1981)
YouTubeShow

I'm aware that the pace is really slow, but I work full-time and had other things going on this week as well. I hope to wrap this up within a few days.
Last edited by Lammetje on October 19th, 2019, 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 18th, 2019, 6:14 am

26. Blake Shelton - Turnin' Me On (2017)

This is the newest entry on the list.
YouTubeShow

25. George Strait - Amarillo by Morning (1983)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 18th, 2019, 3:51 pm

24. John Denver - Some Days Are Diamonds (Some Days Are Stone) (1981)
YouTubeShow

23. Jim Reeves - He'll Have to Go (1959)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 18th, 2019, 5:53 pm

22. Alan Jackson - Midnight in Montgomery (1991)
YouTubeShow

21. Alison Krauss - Simple Love (2007)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 18th, 2019, 10:05 pm

20. Dolly Parton - Jolene (1973)
YouTubeShow

19. Lefty Frizzell - If You've Got The Money I've Got The Time (1950)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 19th, 2019, 9:20 am

18. Brenda Lee - Take Me Back (1980)

Brenda is mostly known for pop and rockabilly songs, such as the Christmas classic "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree", recorded when she was only 13 years old. Later in her career she mostly shifted to country.
YouTubeShow

17. Alan Jackson - Small Town Southern Man (2007)
YouTubeShow

Is anyone still keeping up with this thread? :/

RBG

Post by RBG » October 19th, 2019, 10:49 am

i am watching

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS