Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st)

Lammetje's Favorite Country & Western Songs

Lammetje
Donator

Re: Lammetje's Favorite Country & Western Songs

Post by Lammetje » October 19th, 2019, 12:06 pm

16. Johnny Cash & June Carter Cash - Long-Legged Guitar Pickin' Man (1967)
YouTubeShow

15. Alan Jackson - Good Time (2008)
YouTubeShow

iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 19th, 2019, 2:52 pm

I've been keeping up with this thread, so yeah, keep it coming. It's just there hasn't been too much to say, and I generally don't comment on what peoples opinions are. Never mind that I've been rather busy this week, too.

Your taste is quite a bit different than mine. Like I've said before, I'm more into 90s country, you seem to have quite a bit of earlier stuff. The main artist that's appeared from that era is Alan Jackson, who I like (even seen him in concert), I don't know if I would have near as much as you have thus far. A lot of his songs were way overplayed.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 19th, 2019, 3:42 pm

14. Charley Pride - Kiss an Angel Good Mornin' (1971)
YouTubeShow

13. Johnny Cash - San Quentin (1969)
YouTubeShow

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 19th, 2019, 3:46 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
October 19th, 2019, 2:52 pm
I've been keeping up with this thread, so yeah, keep it coming. It's just there hasn't been too much to say, and I generally don't comment on what peoples opinions are. Never mind that I've been rather busy this week, too.

Your taste is quite a bit different than mine. Like I've said before, I'm more into 90s country, you seem to have quite a bit of earlier stuff. The main artist that's appeared from that era is Alan Jackson, who I like (even seen him in concert), I don't know if I would have near as much as you have thus far. A lot of his songs were way overplayed.
Fair enough. Fortunately in Europe there is no such thing as overplaying country artists. :P

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 19th, 2019, 9:15 pm

12. The Sons of the Pioneers - Riders in the Sky (1949)
YouTubeShow

11. Loretta Lynn - Don't Come Home A-Drinkin' (With Lovin' on Your Mind) (1966)
YouTubeShow

RBG

Post by RBG » October 19th, 2019, 9:44 pm

i think it's cool that people in europe listen to country at all. i just found out recently that was a thing!

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 20th, 2019, 7:56 am

10. John Denver - Thank God I'm a Country Boy (1974)
YouTubeShow

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 20th, 2019, 10:05 am

41. Hank Williams - Howlin' at the Moon (1951)
YouTubeShow

Well those lyrics wasn't vegan :folded:
Never made a note until now
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 20th, 2019, 11:21 am

9. Crystal Gayle - Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue (1977)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 20th, 2019, 11:24 am

Armoreska wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 10:05 am
41. Hank Williams - Howlin' at the Moon (1951)
YouTubeShow

Well those lyrics wasn't vegan :folded:
Never made a note until now
...which is why the song is at #41 and not at #40. :folded:
SpoilerShow
Just kidding, I never noticed that either.

RBG

Post by RBG » October 20th, 2019, 11:25 am

this thread inspired me to listen to terry allen all day

icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 20th, 2019, 11:57 am

RBG wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 11:25 am
this thread inspired me to listen to terry allen all day

That feeling when your contributions on an internet forum inspire someone to listen to a certain type of music thousands of miles away Image

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 20th, 2019, 1:16 pm

8. Carpenters - Sweet, Sweet Smile (1977)

Yeah, I know, this one is questionable. I just love the Carpenters and this song sounds pretty country to me, more than for example "Top of the World" (which I absolutely adore but didn't include).
YouTubeShow

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 20th, 2019, 1:24 pm

old favorites so far: The Gambler, Sixteen Tons (is this country? i think folk), Jolene, Ghost Riders in the Sky, Thank God I'm a Country Boy
where's Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man, is it too rocking?
I would have enjoyed Small Town Southern Man if it wasn't so Jesus-happy
Here to clear my mind
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 20th, 2019, 3:52 pm

7. Johnny Cash - Man in Black (1971)
YouTubeShow

jvv
Donator

Post by jvv » October 20th, 2019, 3:53 pm

Is there going to be some Dutch country (Ilse de Lange) in here?

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 20th, 2019, 4:17 pm

Armoreska wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 1:24 pm
I never heard that one before. It sounds country enough, but not worthy of a spot on my list.
jvv wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 3:53 pm
Is there going to be some Dutch country (Ilse de Lange) in here?
That's a negative.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 20th, 2019, 4:55 pm

Lammetje wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 4:17 pm
Armoreska wrote:
October 20th, 2019, 1:24 pm
I never heard that one before. It sounds country enough, but not worthy of a spot on my list.
No way! Thats no very comprehensive of you.
Some of my potential top 10 country songs would come from
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 20th, 2019, 5:20 pm

Emmylou Harris - Blue Eyed Kentucky Girl
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 20th, 2019, 7:15 pm

6. John Denver - Take Me Home, Country Roads (1971)

This is John's highest ranked song.
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 20th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Thanks for that K Rose playlist, Armie. I hadn't thought of that.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 20th, 2019, 9:07 pm

5. Lady Antebellum - Need You Now (2009)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 21st, 2019, 6:15 am

4. Johnny Cash - Folsom Prison Blues (1955)
YouTubeShow

Y'all got any predictions for the top 3?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 21st, 2019, 9:12 am

It's gonna be super boring with Johnny Cash bonanza
Solitary Man, Hurt, A Thing Called Love (it's cuz they are my favs) unless they not "country" enough
and Rusty Cage is def not country enough

Patsy Cline - Crazy
Loretta Lynn - Coal Miners Daughter
Marty Robbins - El Paso
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 21st, 2019, 3:46 pm

3. Alan Jackson - Little Bitty (1996)

I had heard one or two of his songs before, but I didn't really discover Alan until this year. This song has really grown on me lately.
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 21st, 2019, 3:54 pm

Armoreska wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 9:12 am
It's gonna be super boring with Johnny Cash bonanza
Solitary Man, Hurt, A Thing Called Love (it's cuz they are my favs) unless they not "country" enough
and Rusty Cage is def not country enough

Patsy Cline - Crazy
Loretta Lynn - Coal Miners Daughter
Marty Robbins - El Paso
"Hurt" is definitely not country enough. :geek:

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 21st, 2019, 4:27 pm

That's disappointing :P
still place for Solitary Man and one of the other three I suppose, or better yet, something new that I find likable

is A Thing Called Love country by your standards? of course it's better than almost all of the list, but even I wouldn't consider Johnny Cash as country if it didn't say so everywhere.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 21st, 2019, 4:43 pm

Armoreska wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 4:27 pm
That's disappointing :P
still place for Solitary Man and one of the other three I suppose, or better yet, something new that I find likable

is A Thing Called Love country by your standards? of course it's better than almost all of the list, but even I wouldn't consider Johnny Cash as country if it didn't say so everywhere.
I would call "A Thing Called Love" country. It's nice, but you won't find it in the top 2.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 21st, 2019, 6:16 pm

2. Alan Jackson - Gone Country (1994)

Deborah Evans Price, of Billboard magazine: "Musically, it kicks ass." :cowbow:
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 21st, 2019, 8:12 pm

1. Mini Thin - City Bitch

Hell yeah!
YouTubeShow

SpoilerShow
The real number 1 is coming up in a minute. :sweat:
Last edited by Lammetje on October 21st, 2019, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 21st, 2019, 8:26 pm

1. Alison Krauss & Union Station - When You Say Nothing at All (1995)

Keith Whitley recorded this song in 1988. The best known version is probably Ronan Keating's, which was part of the soundtrack for Notting Hill (1999). But in between those years a country and bluegrass artist with the voice of an angel recorded the most beautiful version of the song. Thank you, Alison. (l)
YouTubeShow

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 21st, 2019, 8:58 pm

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 21st, 2019, 11:57 pm

So, you have one of (arguably my favorite) Alan Jackson song on your list (Midnight in Montgomery; it's up there with Chasin' that Neon Rainbow), and easily my least favorite AJ song as well (Little Bitty... It was WAYYYY overplayed when it came out.)

Surprised and dissapointed there's no Garth, and only one George Strait song. If you haven't already, check out some of Garth's earlier work, and you really can't go too wrong with George Strait.

Only one song on you list would be in strong contention for me, and that'd be the Lady Antebellum song. One I can listen to over and over. :) There's some other songs on here I really like (Alison Kraus again ;) ) John Denver as well, although I'd consider him a tweener, the ones you chose are definitely country, though.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » October 22nd, 2019, 12:10 am

Want some rock in your country?
The Great DivideShow
Chris KnightShow
And a local band that made it big for one song, before the lead singer had problems
Yankee GreyShow
If you're curious, I don't know if any of the above would be on my list.

Some things that would definitely appear on my list: Collin Raye (what I don't know. He's probably my favorite country singer), Garth (again, don't know what), Some early Toby Keith (Shoulda Been a Cowboy, Tired..) Sawyer Brown would probably have a couple on there too. I've never put too much thought into it, to be honest.

Thanks for sharing, btw!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 22nd, 2019, 12:39 am

Well at least the #1 is nice.

Top 12 re-ranked
Ghost Riders in the Sky - apparently https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_m ... h_America) - of course I prefer other versions, but generally this song is almost in my top 500
Man in Black
Take Me Home, Country Roads
Sweet, Sweet Smile
Folsom Prison Blues
Lady Antebellum
Thank God I'm a Country Boy
Crystal Gayle
Alison Krauss
Loretta Lynn

(OPEN A CHASM HERE)

Little Bitty
Gone Country
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 22nd, 2019, 12:52 am

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 22nd, 2019, 7:12 am

AAARRRGGGGHHHH
I clicked on the Youtube video of your fake #1. :facepalm:
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 22nd, 2019, 4:21 pm

Nathan Treadway wrote:
October 21st, 2019, 11:57 pm
So, you have one of (arguably my favorite) Alan Jackson song on your list (Midnight in Montgomery; it's up there with Chasin' that Neon Rainbow), and easily my least favorite AJ song as well (Little Bitty... It was WAYYYY overplayed when it came out.)

Surprised and dissapointed there's no Garth, and only one George Strait song. If you haven't already, check out some of Garth's earlier work, and you really can't go too wrong with George Strait.

Only one song on you list would be in strong contention for me, and that'd be the Lady Antebellum song. One I can listen to over and over. :) There's some other songs on here I really like (Alison Kraus again ;) ) John Denver as well, although I'd consider him a tweener, the ones you chose are definitely country, though.
Thanks for your recs, I'll give them a try. :) I tried the songs for which you posted videos - "Framed" was nice.

I had already listened to some of George's and Garth's songs. Some were nice, "Amarillo by Morning" was even better of course, but that's pretty much it.
Armoreska wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 12:52 am
:o

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » October 22nd, 2019, 4:28 pm

joachimt wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 7:12 am
AAARRRGGGGHHHH
I clicked on the Youtube video of your fake #1. :facepalm:
tehe

Was there anything at all on this list that you liked, J?

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » October 22nd, 2019, 6:04 pm

Lammetje wrote:
October 22nd, 2019, 4:28 pm
Was there anything at all on this list that you liked, J?
I listen to Johnny Cash now and then when I'm in the mood for it. Apart from that, I'm sorry to say I didn't listen to any of your posts except for the #1 (the real one as well). I still have 40 albums on my to-listen-list, so I'm not taking the time to listen to songs of a genre I normally don't care for recommended by a guy whose taste in music hardly overlaps with mine. :P
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"