Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Directors (Results), 2019 (Feb 16th), 2009 awards (Feb 21st), Mini-series (Feb 29th)
Challenges: Academy Awards, Africa, African American/Blaxploitation
Film of the Week: The Good Fairy, March nominations (Feb 28th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1D: Australia vs Hungary vs Portugal vs Tajikistan (Mar 1st)

Book Lounge

Pretentious Hipster
Donator

Book Lounge

Post by Pretentious Hipster » October 3rd, 2019, 4:10 pm

Noticed that we didn't have a general thread regarding books, so I figured I'd make one.

To prepare for my next video game review I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream since it's October, I decided to read the original Harlan Ellison short story. Is it just me or does the book suck? The torture that happens seems a bit silly, and the characters aren't developed at all which doesn't show the motivation given by the supercomputer. I also noticed that a supercomputer is full of emotion which is silly because the government would never give emotion to artificial intelligence. Especially one ran by the military.

I do have a question about one excerpt which I am curious to see what the interpretation of it is. I'll spoiler it:

SpoilerShow
They mention that one of the characters is gay. The supercomputer altered him so that he looks like a monkey-human hybrid, and he was given a horse cock to punish him for his homosexuality. Does this give the implication that his dick is now too large to do anal sex? That seems quite homophobic if that is the case.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » October 5th, 2019, 2:13 am

I read that a long, long time ago and so can't really answer except to say that I remember it being ok but not amazing. I have read a few Ellison stories but the only one that really, really stands out is "Jeffty is Five".