Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)

Are we talking about plagiarism ?

cinephage
Donator

Are we talking about plagiarism ?

Post by cinephage » July 12th, 2019, 4:00 pm

Danny Boyle's latest film, Yesterday, is a film where a guitar player finds himself in a world where the Beatles don't exist. He plays their songs from memory and becomes a superstar.

The strange thing about this, is that there already was a fench comic book based on this idea, by David Blot & Jeremie Royer, written in 2011. There are a few more similarities with the movie as well.
Blot is an independant comic book artist, he says he probably won't try anything against a big studio. His reply to the situation is to make his comic book, whose rights he owns, available to all. This way, interested people can form their opinion on whether or not the movie took from the comic book, or whether it's just a simple coincidence.

The link is here :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/johk37f1cbwde ... 88imsnazrc
Last edited by cinephage on July 13th, 2019, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » July 12th, 2019, 5:34 pm

I mean there are multiple books/movies/shows about this common theme. I think this is basically a trope by now.

Also who hasn't done a fun thought experiment about what they would do if they kept all their knowledge and went back in time?

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » July 12th, 2019, 6:56 pm

plagiarism by anticipation, Hollywood should sue them
#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » July 12th, 2019, 7:27 pm

hurluberlu wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 6:56 pm
plagiarism by anticipation, Hollywood should sue them
anticipatory plagiary, good Oulipian principle: "Without a time machine at its disposal, the Oulipo has been unable to rescue from the limbo of the past those writers who, lamentably unaware of the group's existence, could not know that they were creating paleo-Oulipian texts without acknowledgment." - Oulipo Compendium, 211
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Kublai Khan

Post by Kublai Khan » July 12th, 2019, 7:48 pm

cinephage wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 4:00 pm
Danny Boyle's latest film, Yesterday, is a film where a guitar player finds himself in a world where the Beatles don't exist. He plays their songs from memory and becomes a superstar.

The strange thing about this, is that there was a fench comic book based on this idea, by David Blot & Jeremie Royer. There are a few more similarities with the movie as well.
Blot is an independant comic book artist, he says he probably won't try anything against a big studio. His reply to the situation is to make his comic book, whose rights he owns, available to all. This way, interested people can form their opinion on whether or not the movie took from the comic book, or whether it's just a simple coincidence.

The link is here :
https://www.dropbox.com/s/johk37f1cbwde ... 88imsnazrc
Damnit. I was going to write a comic book and a movie about that very idea. They must have come back from the future and ripped me off. :/

flaiky

Post by flaiky » July 12th, 2019, 9:27 pm

blueboybob wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 5:34 pm
I mean there are multiple books/movies/shows about this common theme. I think this is basically a trope by now.
It was definitely a plot point in the 90s sitcom Goodnight Sweetheart (which Richard Curtis is likely to have watched).

Edit: I just found this Guardian article comparing the show and the film.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats