Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Coeur fidèle, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Jeopardy!

blueboybob
Donator

Jeopardy!

Post by blueboybob » April 17th, 2019, 7:11 pm

So anyone else an avid Jeopardy! watcher?

Anyone watching James right now?

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 17th, 2019, 7:22 pm

The only Jeopardy I like is on SNL. And who's James? I only know: Trebek!
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » April 17th, 2019, 7:31 pm

See the most recent 9 games

http://j-archive.com/showseason.php?season=35

also watch today. WATCH TODAY

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 17th, 2019, 7:47 pm

I don’t watch as regularly as I used to, so I’ve only caught a few of the shows so far with this sports gambler guy, James. Very impressive though!
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » April 17th, 2019, 7:52 pm

I don't watch anymore, but I regularly follow the action through j archive. James is incredible. Beyond his knowledge base, he also is one of very few contestants who are appropriately aggressive on daily doubles.

I've taken the online test many times and done the in-person audition twice. No luck so far. One of these days.

James reminds me how much of Jeopardy is luck for a contestant. You can be very good and then run into a bulldozer like James. I would lose to James, but on the other hand I've seen plenty of games where I know I would win. My biggest regret is not getting on college jeopardy when I had the chance. It's much easier, and I don't think I've added that much jeopardy knowledge since college.

Nathan Treadway
Donator

Post by Nathan Treadway » April 17th, 2019, 8:48 pm

I don't watch it on a regular basis, but, I do enjoy it when I do watch it. (Haven't in several months.)

I wonder if during the interview process they figure out what topics different contestants would excel in, and try to tailor it to them? For instance, there's things I would do real well, but also things, like 19th century literature that I know absolutely nothing about, that'd I'd obviously get destroyed.

As an aside, I was worried to open this thread, as I was afraid it contained an update on Alex Trebek's condition. :(

RBG

Post by RBG » April 17th, 2019, 9:39 pm

haven't watched in years but i had no idea you could take practice tests online. THANK YOU! :circle:
icm + ltbxd

NO GODS NO MASTERS

maxwelldeux
Donator

Post by maxwelldeux » April 17th, 2019, 9:40 pm

I haven't been watching it for a few years, but I did read an article on James yesterday. Fascinating insight into his strategies.

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2019/0 ... ow-records

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » April 18th, 2019, 1:58 pm

RBG wrote:
April 17th, 2019, 9:39 pm
haven't watched in years but i had no idea you could take practice tests online. THANK YOU! :circle:
You should install this https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ppbm?hl=en

plus j-archive

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 18th, 2019, 2:30 pm

currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » April 18th, 2019, 4:19 pm

Today he "only" won like 74K. Disappointing...

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » April 23rd, 2019, 3:47 pm

Getting closer to a daily average of 77K

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » May 25th, 2019, 3:27 pm

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » May 26th, 2019, 12:49 am

I have an audition in three weeks. It will be my third. I've made a rough estimate that about one-sixth of in-person auditions leads to placement on the show. I've brushed up in the past week on one of my worst knowledge gaps (classical music). Now I need to brush up on my definite worst knowledge gap: TV. Hard to know where to begin.

frbrown

Post by frbrown » May 26th, 2019, 5:42 pm

blocho wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 12:49 am
I have an audition in three weeks.

:woot:

Good luck!

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » June 4th, 2019, 2:00 am

Wow, James finally lost. And he was probably only one more day away from beating Ken Jennings total winnings record...damn.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 4th, 2019, 2:59 am

our national nightmare has ended

blueboybob
Donator

Post by blueboybob » June 4th, 2019, 1:54 pm

Back to obscurity for the show. Leaving only the true hardcore fans like myself left...

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » June 4th, 2019, 10:32 pm

blueboybob wrote:
June 4th, 2019, 1:54 pm
Back to obscurity for the show. Leaving only the true hardcore fans like myself left...
preach

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 5th, 2019, 10:20 pm

Well, I'm interested in how Emma does. She's still going.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 17th, 2019, 4:20 pm

And not anymore. Off to obscurity until another comes along.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

blocho
Donator

Post by blocho » June 17th, 2019, 5:13 pm

blocho wrote:
May 26th, 2019, 12:49 am
I have an audition in three weeks. It will be my third. I've made a rough estimate that about one-sixth of in-person auditions leads to placement on the show. I've brushed up in the past week on one of my worst knowledge gaps (classical music). Now I need to brush up on my definite worst knowledge gap: TV. Hard to know where to begin.
The audition went exactly the same as the previous two. There's a certain forced cheeriness to the whole thing that I find mildly annoying, but you have to put on a big smile, of course. I believe I got 40 correct on the 50-question test, which is pretty typical for me. I got really angry at myself for missing a couple of easy ones, but I realized I had to do a reality check. I've said to myself for a while now that my ceiling is probably two-day champion. Even if I get on the show, I'm not going to go gangbusters and start conquering. Making the show will be its own victory.

I also got a confirmation of my estimate that about one-sixth of in-person applicants make the show, so the odds are still against me. Although perhaps they're more forgiving for people like me who have auditioned multiple times. One thing that surprised me is that they said only about 8,000 people take the online test each year. I thought the number would be much higher.