Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Commercials Lounge!

Carmel1379
Donator

Commercials Lounge!

Post by Carmel1379 » February 22nd, 2019, 6:24 pm

What are your favourite TV advertisements? Do you think marketing videos can have artistic merit or not? What are the most iconic and greatest commercials of all time? Any film directors you think made good ads, with possible connections to their own work?

Here's a pretty random selection to start off with:

Our very first SotD a little over two years ago was an ad by NicWinRef, which spawned the most discussion. viewtopic.php?t=2790

A deep time survival science-fiction one I found pretty amusing:

The Never Say No To Panda series:

sexual paradise:

lesbian ghosts:

& the best short film/ad ever:

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

Ivan0716

Post by Ivan0716 » February 23rd, 2019, 1:50 pm

Can't say I pay much attention to adverts or who directed them but some are more memorable than others, usually because of a song choice or a celebrity in it.

Minkin

Post by Minkin » February 23rd, 2019, 3:54 pm

Its always perfume commercials which go for the artistic approach.

But this commercial for jeans has to be the best one:

-----------
I actually love this topic + have alot to say on the matter, as I find commercials so hilariously idiotic (and the least offensive of capitalist advertising). There's an infomercial series for some stupid blender where they actually developed characters for their "random people brought in from the street" - who show up in subsequent infomercials and end up fucking each other. Whoever made this series needs a better job.

I'll post many to come, with my interpretation of "artistic" probably not always reaching the same metrics as the above denim commercial. I need to write a book.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » February 24th, 2019, 12:45 pm

sorry, but ever since I got suckered by the Captain Midnight Decoder Ring in 19-aught-46, I've avoided commercials of all sorts - trained my mind not to notice them. Big reason why we've never (well, hardly ever) had a TV.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 24th, 2019, 1:48 pm

that panda commercial used to be a bit funny. now i find out it's selling cheese. that's just insensitive now. especially because pandas are vegan bears:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_panda#Diet
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » February 24th, 2019, 1:59 pm

I haven't really watched TV since 2003, and all online ads seem to be about KFC and encouraging obesity, but these were some of the only ads I remember liking back in the day:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Rwbypomrpy

I even put pictures of him on my school books as if he was a 'crush' and people thought I was being serious :lol:
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Minkin

Post by Minkin » February 24th, 2019, 3:09 pm

There's so many layers to unpack in commercials - and to ponder about ... as opposed to falling victim to their stupid charms.

My favorite aspect: who is their target audience / market; and what is the commercial implying about their audience? This is more terrifying with online adverts - where they track your life details to perfectly market to you. Instead television commercials blandly try to capture who is watching at that particular timeslot - which means every channel offers a different profile of consumer. By flipping through channels, you can see how everything works.

Example:
They assume a person watching this program is a certain age, economic class, ethnicity, gender, with or without kids, and likely has dry skin. Now they have ~30 seconds to make you want/need/remember this product.

They even change commercials in (subtle) ways to target different groups - see this video (with its Clutch Cargo-esque horrific animation):

There's just something so basically funny about marketing companies assuming local news viewers need pizza; home refinancing; car insurance; and a catheter.

Anyway,

Here is Fellini's liqueur commercial:

And here is a compilation of (mostly drunk) Orson Welles' depressingly hilarious commercials:

Just imagine a world without any advertising - anywhere. Maybe one day.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » February 24th, 2019, 9:11 pm

Orson will sell no wine until it's time to finance another doomed project
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » February 25th, 2019, 4:42 pm

In keeping with that Refn clip for Hennessy from a couple years ago that you linked to, during the Oscars broadcast last night they aired an abbreviated version of this new ad for the same product (Hennessy XO), this time directed by Ridley Scott but it has a similar vibe/follows the same template, though with some different visual interpretations of course:

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » April 24th, 2019, 2:22 am

:imdb:

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d