Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Le septième juré, December nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

Your favourite comics?

jokerswild1 is dead

Your favourite comics?

Post by jokerswild1 is dead » May 17th, 2018, 3:24 am

So as far as I can tell, you nice folks have a mixed opinion on comic-based films (superhero base ones mainly), but hey, lots of comics out there and like any art form I felt it should be represented on here. So what do you say, your favorite titles/runs/limited series/graphic novels/strips/etc? Some of mine:

The Authority (Warren Ellis, somewhat Mark Millar)
Astonishing X-Men (Joss Whedon)
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Frank Miller)
Daredevil: Born Again (Frank Miller)
Dick Tracy (Chester Gould, Max Allan Collins)
Garfield (Jim Davis)
Hulk: The End (Peter David)
Invincible (Robert Kirkman)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Volume I (Alan Moore)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Volume II (Alan Moore)
Marvel Zombies (Robert Kirkman)
Ruins (Warren Ellis)
Superman (Post-Crisis, John Byrne/Marv Wolfman)
Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? (Alan Moore)
Ultimate Fantastic Four (Brian Michael Bendis/Mark Millar, Warren Ellis, Mark Millar solo)
Ultimate Galactus trilogy (Warren Ellis)
The Ultimates (Mark Millar)
The Ultimates 2 (Mark Millar)
Ultimate Spider-Man (Brian Michael Bendis)
Uncanny X-Men (Chris Claremont)
Venom: Lethal Protector (David Michelinie)
Watchmen (Alan Moore)

other stuff I have somewhat explored but would like to read more of:

Batgirl (Gail Simone)
any of Dwayne McDuffie's Milestone Media material
Hellboy (Mike Mignola)
Spawn (Todd McFarlane)

Of course my favorites are heavily superhero-bent, but there's a ton of stuff out there that has nothing to do with superheroes. So what do you like? Do you still read them? Do you have any favourite characters?

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 17th, 2018, 5:05 am

From Hell GOAT.

Tintin, of course.

I also very much enjoy the work of Michael DeForge, just got Sticks Angelica, Folk Hero the other day, it's quite good. very long, like, the physical dimensions of the book, how am I supposed to put it on the shelf. his new one is out in a couple weeks.

Anything by Winsor McCay, especially Rarebit Fiend and Little Nemo.

Peanuts is life.

Une semaine de bonté

Gasoline Alley is quite the achievement in daily comic strips.

Lynd Ward is pretty rad.

Jason is also pretty rad. He's almost like a lost Kaurismaki brother, raised on Krazy Kat and post-modern novels. If you told me he was adapting The New York Trilogy, I would not be in the least bit surprised.

Oh, right, Krazy Kat.

Not "best thing ever" but I am enjoying the Hanna-Barbera Beyond titles.

oh and I've read probably 2000+ manga volumes.
Last edited by funkybusiness on May 17th, 2018, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

3eyes
Donator

Post by 3eyes » May 17th, 2018, 1:04 pm

I tuned into the Sunday comics when I was 7 -- during WW II. Every time my cousin and I would agree on our favorite strip it would be discontinued because the author had been drafted. I was an avid reader of newspaper comics until about 20 years ago, not so much anymore.

My all-time favorite strip is Walt Kelly's Pogo - sort of to my generation what Doonesbury was to later generations, but.... The language takes some getting used to, but the political satire is amazing, as is the language play, and I hope some of you have discovered it. It is still laugh-out-loud funny.

Best-known quote: "We is met the enemy and they is us."
My favorite: "I is in the extreme middle!"
Last edited by 3eyes on May 17th, 2018, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:run: STILL the Gaffer!

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 17th, 2018, 1:16 pm

Calvin and Hobbes [best ever]

Watchmen

Tintin

Maus

(+some Flemish comics I haven't read in over a decade: Suske en Wiske, Jommeke, De Kiekeboes, De Rode Ridder, ...)

Would definitely like to read more by Alan Moore. Otherwise not read much superhero comics, and I reckon it's a bit too late for that.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 17th, 2018, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » May 17th, 2018, 1:29 pm

I haven't read many comic books, but I like the Alan Moore stuff I've read - Watchmen most of all, his Batman comic The Killing Joke, and his erotica graphic novel Lost Girls.

As for comic strips: Calvin and Hobbes, The Boondocks, and Peanuts. And I enjoyed Brad Neely's online comics, Creased Comics.

I'd like to get into Robert Crumb's and Daniel Clowes' work.
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on May 17th, 2018, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

beavis

Post by beavis » May 17th, 2018, 2:38 pm

two comics that would make good movies in my opinion are Grendel and Ergün (or anything else by Comès really)

my choices would be
Grendel Tales: Devils and Deaths by Darko Macan and Edvin Biukovic
Le Maître des Ténèbres (Ergün l'errant #2) by Comès

recently I enjoyed Tokyo Ghost
Last edited by beavis on May 17th, 2018, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » May 17th, 2018, 2:54 pm

As a kid I read a lot of Uncanny X-Men and some other Marvel stuff, don't remember too clearly now. I've read Watchmen, which is of course great.

Depending on how comic book is defined, I'm currently a huge fan of Berserk, a manga by Kentaro Miura. Unfortunately, that one's kind of like A Song of Ice and Fire in the sense that I worry we'll never get an ending. They're probably my two favorite fantasy stories, so it's a shame.

I also read Naoki Urasawa's Monster 3-4 years ago and thought it was excellent.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 17th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Oh man, Berserk. I love it, but he's also only completed two story chapters since I started reading it uuuh 15 years ago. Not story arcs, chapters.He's been on Elf Island Chapter for almost a decade. and it's not he has writer's block or it's too big and unwieldy or he's injured/ill (happens a lot with manga artists) or he's off on trips to Europe for way-too-specific research (although he has done that last one) or a television adaptation has kept him too involved/legally prevented him from publishing (GRRM!!!), there was that hiatus for 4 years a couple years back and you know what the problem was? he was playing too much idolmaster! that's it! he was too preoccupied with a video game! and it wasn't even the cellphone app, it was the xbox version!! and it's not like he doesn't have assistants, he's got a whole crew.

basically, being a Berserk fan is frustrating, because time is a thing from which I have yet to escape.
Last edited by funkybusiness on May 17th, 2018, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » May 17th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Vagabond
Berserk
The Incal

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » May 18th, 2018, 3:09 am

funkybusiness on May 17 2018, 01:12:51 PM wrote:Oh man, Berserk. I love it, but he's also only completed two story chapters since I started reading it uuuh 15 years ago. Not story arcs, chapters.He's been on Elf Island Chapter for almost a decade. and it's not he has writer's block or it's too big and unwieldy or he's injured/ill (happens a lot with manga artists) or he's off on trips to Europe for way-too-specific research (although he has done that last one) or a television adaptation has kept him too involved/legally prevented him from publishing (GRRM!!!), there was that hiatus for 4 years a couple years back and you know what the problem was? he was playing too much idolmaster! that's it! he was too preoccupied with a video game! and it wasn't even the cellphone app, it was the xbox version!! and it's not like he doesn't have assistants, he's got a whole crew.

basically, being a Berserk fan is frustrating, because time is a thing from which I have yet to escape.
You said it man, it's tiresome. I just want to see the story through already.

But honestly I don't buy the excuses for GRRM...after what happened with the last two books in the series I think he's just burnt out and doesn't feel like wrapping up his massively complex epic when there's a show doing it for him now (and paying him so much he can easily live the rest of his life doing whatever the hell he wants) anyway. I'd love to be wrong but he seems very uninterested at this point. He only acknowledges he's even writing the damn thing like, what, twice a year? And each of those times he makes it pretty clear he's not enjoying himself. Doesn't bode well.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 18th, 2018, 4:10 am

My theory is that he's being paid by HBO not to release a book, as he has yet to do so since the series began (Dragons was in the final stages of publication when the first season began airing). They don't want the competition. (and he is releasing a Targaryen history book this year, part one of at least two hahaaaaaaaa)

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 18th, 2018, 5:11 am

Growing up in Europe I ended up being less interested in your average Marvel/DC superhero comics (though there are exceptions) and more interested in the European "art house" comics and the Belgian comics for kids. I never really got into manga for some reason.

So classics like Tintin, Lucky Luke, The Smurfs, Spirou & Fantasio are among my favorites for my own kids, and personally I don't mind diving into titles by Jodorowsky (Incal, Metabarons, Aleph-Tau etc), Enki Bilal (Nikopol Trilogy, Black Order Brigade etc) and Alan Moore (From Hell, Watchmen etc) and series like Valerian & Laureline and even the works of Carl Barks (I love his Donald Duck stories).

Among serial strips, I'm a big Calvin & Hobbes fan. I've worn out more than one t-shirt with them and just got a fresh one for Christmas.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

tommy_leazaq
Donator

Post by tommy_leazaq » May 18th, 2018, 5:47 am

After watching Crumb, I am deeply interested in his work. Will search if any of those underground comic is available in net.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 18th, 2018, 5:56 am

Blame! stands lonely at the top. The exact right balance of cyber and punk.
Comedy-wise, Short Cuts is impossibly weird (and funny).

But not a big comic fan myself.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 18th, 2018, 8:10 am

3eyes on May 17 2018, 07:04:19 AM wrote:I tuned into the Sunday comics when I was 7 -- during WW II. Every time my cousin and I would agree on our favorite strip it would be discontinued because the author had been drafted. I was an avid reader of newspaper comics until about 20 years ago, not so much anymore.

My all-time favorite strip is Walt Kelly's Pogo - sort of to my generation what Doonesbury was to later generations, but.... The language takes some getting used to, but the political satire is amazing, as is the language play, and I hope some of you have discovered it. It is still laugh-out-loud funny.

Best-known quote: "We is met the enemy and they is us."
My favorite: "I is in the extreme middle!"
Fantagraphics have reprinted the first 7 years of Pogo strips in 4 volumes so far, with a 5th coming in October, and they plan to eventually release the whole run (in 12 volumes, tentatively).

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 18th, 2018, 8:12 am

Onderhond on May 17 2018, 11:56:08 PM wrote:Blame! stands lonely at the top. The exact right balance of cyber and punk.
Comedy-wise, Short Cuts is impossibly weird (and funny).

But not a big comic fan myself.
Blame! is pretty exceptional. Too bad every successive work of Nihei's is that much worse. I couldn't get thru Knights of Sidonia.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 18th, 2018, 8:34 am

Yeah, pretty much agree on Nihei.

I'm also still hoping for a proper Blame! adaptation. While I really like the existing mini-OAV and film adaptation, it doesn't quite match the feel of the comics.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » May 18th, 2018, 8:39 am

some sort of VR set-up where it takes you a thousand days months? years? to traverse a single room the size of Jupiter.
Last edited by funkybusiness on May 18th, 2018, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 18th, 2018, 9:19 am

Nah, just that gritty, nihilistic cyberpunk atmosphere would do. But I don't think that's possible, budget-wise. It would need to be some big budget early Tsukamoto mix, not going to happen :)

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » May 18th, 2018, 11:11 am

Big time comic reader here. I used to follow almost all X-men titles in the 90s and 2000s. Some of the highlights were Chris Claremonts run and Grant Morrisons. Also followed the Avengers; hughlights there were also Claremont, and Bendis.
Other favorite in random order:
Preacher
Ennis’ Punisher
Sandman
100 bullets
Y the last Man
Fables
Authority (+Ellis run on Stormwatch)
Daredevil
Alan Moore’s Top 10
League of extraordinary Gentlemen
Watchmen
V for Vendetta
Transmetropolitan
The Dark Knight Returns
Batman; Year one
Kingdome Come
Bone
Scott Pilgrim
Usagi Yojimbo
Lone wolf and cub

Calvin and Hobbes

From the European comics I always been a big Asterix fan.

I probably forget dozens of titles or runs that provided my younger self with hours of enjoyment.

I always have thought that there must be some relation between my love for comics and my love for movies, since both uses images to convey a story/mood. Others recognize that?
Last edited by Lonewolf2003 on May 18th, 2018, 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.