Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (Nominations Sep 22nd)
Polls: Animation (Results), 2016 awards (Aug 25th), 1987 (Aug 25th), Benelux (Aug 30th), Knockout competition (Round 1)
Challenges: Romance, UK/Ireland, <400 Checks
Film of the Week: Hospital, September nominations (Aug 30th)

Drum and Bass & Jungle

Carmel1379
Donator

Drum and Bass & Jungle

Post by Carmel1379 » May 1st, 2018, 10:30 pm

'Jungle dreams' she murmured ambiguously. 'I'm learning my ABC's again. Last night was the delta jungles. ... Don't look so stern, you'll be dreaming them too, soon. ... Listen to the drumming ... How many suns are there, do you think?'

'turbulence is a ko::motion.'

Any fans of DnB, Jungle, neurofunk, darkcore, etc. here?

What are you favourite tracks?

Has anyone attended any DnB events and raves, whether in the 90s during the inception of the genre or more recently?

Do you know how to skank? (See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km6Zyw81pP4.)

First off, the two current DnB anthems (well deserved):

And some more tracks I enjoy (among others, these are mostly older DnB, I'll poast some more recently made music soon):

Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 1st, 2018, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

flaiky

Post by flaiky » May 2nd, 2018, 12:08 am

You're British, right? I think DnB is mostly a really British thing, whenever I go anywhere else all anyone wants to dance to is bloody techno or bloody psytrance.

It's definitely my favourite type of dance music. I very very rarely go out on that level anymore ("out out", as Micky Flanagan would say), but I enjoyed a rave in my young'un days (mid-late 2000s), and it was always D&B that I was after. It can still get me going if I've had a few drinks.

A few faves that stand out:

Shy FX - Original Nuttah (really obvious, but such a tuuuune)

Andy C & DJ Hype - Let Loose (I loved any DJ Hype really, remember seeing him live a few times)

If We Ever by High Contrast (I also love his remix of Adele's Hometown Glory)

My bf is still a bit involved in the squat party scene and DJs every now and then. I mentioned this to him and he said I should link you to his recent set that ended up online. Why not?! (He's playing the last third)
Last edited by flaiky on May 2nd, 2018, 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 2nd, 2018, 1:13 am

Hehe, no, I'm not British, but I study in England now. Of course it originated in the UK in the 90s and luckily for me it's still alive (Hospitality, etc.), but by now I think it spread well to Continental Europe too (not sure about the US), perhaps not too much in its Jungle-resembling form, but spliced up more with electronic. Supposedly the biggest DnB festival is now in Belgium (some of my friends go every year; it's always unfortunately at a bad time for me!) and I've heard of other such events strew across Europe. So you know, not all hope is lost. ;)

It's my favourite type of dance music too, and I adore skanking, however exhausting it is.

Shy FX - Original Nuttah - Classic.

Andy C & DJ Hype - Don't remember that track, but I've listened to both before for sure, and Andy C of course made "Valley of the Shadows".

(He's playing the last third) - Nice! That set will keep me busy tonight.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 2nd, 2018, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

flaiky

Post by flaiky » May 2nd, 2018, 7:44 pm

Ah, Hospitality is still going is it? That's good to know. I went to one of their nights at the O2 Arena in 08/09. Great fun.

Do you like dubstep? It's basically the k-hole version of DnB, heh, and it can get a little boring after a while but it's fun for a bit. I always loved this track:

Let the ashes fly
ICM | Letterboxd | All-time stats

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 2nd, 2018, 11:00 pm

I'll go to a small one (in the town I'm living in) at the end of the month, looking forward to it. O2 Arena must've been dope, though.

Dubstep - Enjoy some, yeah, but haven't listened or danced to it nearly as much as DnB.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 2nd, 2018, 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » May 2nd, 2018, 11:58 pm

Nein, Mann!

Though I generally enjoy listening to it I'm not too familiar with DnB & Jungle acts, at least not consciously, as far as that particular labeling goes. I guess if Amon Tobin and something like "Valley of the Shadows" qualifies then John Frusciante's recent releases shouldn't be far off, and Frusciante is still my jam, more than ever, actually, having gone full-on experimental electronics. Whatever he does, I have remained to be on his wavelength so far. So I'll use this opportunity to recommend giving those two a listen and see if they do anything for you (beyond their album covers):

Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on May 3rd, 2018, 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage
LETTERBOXD | MUBI | IMDb | tumblr.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 3rd, 2018, 2:37 pm

Ja, Mann! Doch!

I knew John Frusciante is one of your very favourites when it comes to music, but I hadn't listened to much of his stuff before. Those two albums are quite nice. I suppose influenced from a variety of electronic traditions (apart from the DnB-ish backgrounds on certain songs, several particularly reminded me of Aphex Twin). Not one's usual dance music though, obviously, so IDM I guess, if one had to be reductive and classify it under a genre. Will listen more, certainly.

I was reminded yesterday that Björk has a DnB-ish inspired ending to one of her songs (crystalline, skip to 3:00 if you don't want the clean buildup).
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 3rd, 2018, 2:38 pm

Andy C
Will see him this weekend. ^^
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » May 3rd, 2018, 3:37 pm

Carmel1379 on May 3 2018, 08:37:11 AM wrote:I suppose influenced from a variety of electronic traditions...
"Not one's usual dance music though..." - True that. For danceability I rather should have recommended his two albums as Trickfinger. Those are considerably less unchecked creativity, with more predictable song progressions, but I love them too.

His statement when he released the album:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
"I started being serious about following my dream to make electronic music, and to be my own engineer, five years ago. For the 10 years prior to that, I had been playing guitar along with a wide range of different types of programmed synthesizer and sample-based music, emulating what I heard as best as I could. I found that the languages machines forced programmers to think in had caused them to discover a new musical vocabulary...

In 2007, I started to learn how to program all the instruments we associate with acid house music and some other hardware. For about seven months I didn’t record anything. Then I started recording, playing 10 or so synced machines through a small mixer into a CD burner. This was all experimental acid house, my skills at making rock music playing no part in it whatsoever. I had lost interest in traditional songwriting and I was excited about finding new methods for creating music. I’d surround myself with machines, program one and then another and enjoy what was a fascinating process from beginning to end…"
So I guess whatever you hear in those earlier posted two albums/EP in a sense started with him emulating acid house.

For the sake of completeness - though it has little to do with this topic other than being other electronic stuff Frusciante has been up to lately - I'll mention that he has produced and made the beats for the last couple of Black Knights albums (three so far), a hip hop group. Of course those are very much not just your typical, monotonous hip hop beats, though in the end as unusual as they may be within that context they are still "only" hip hop beats and are perfectly serviceable for being rapped to, so nothing too Earth-shattering within a purely electronic music context, IMO.
Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on May 3rd, 2018, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » May 3rd, 2018, 9:17 pm

I loved Drum and Bass back in the years 1996-2000. I started with big names Roni Size, Goldie and Dillinjah, later DJ Krust, Ed Rush and Optical before moving to more atmospheric stuff like Photek and Grooverider.
Best sets I heard were from a French guy called DJ Cam, actually into trip-hop but occasionally mixing Drum and Bass, in Paris and from DJ Krust in London Ministry of Sound I think. Best rave was in a warehouse in Amsterdam with multi-level basement, never could figure out where exactly years after.
Almost every single album was exploring and coming with new sounds, at the time I had never heard about all these subgenre names: hardstep, neurofunk, liquid...
Anyway, most memorable album for me was Wormhole by Ed Rush & Optical in 1998.
So just to pick one...

#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » May 3rd, 2018, 9:31 pm

The only Drum and Bass I like is Royal Blood.

Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Nopros
Donator

Post by Nopros » May 3rd, 2018, 9:54 pm

Nice thread. I used to listen to DnB a lot when I was around 14-15, but I tend to like my electronic music more minimal nowadays. I'll give some of the tunes a listen, here's my jam.

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » May 3rd, 2018, 10:31 pm

I had a good thing for DnB, especially Neurofunk some years back. But also some glitch hop.

Still dig me some Noisia, Spor, Billain, Culprate, Current Value and quite some others from that time, while I don't really search new music actively anymore in that area.

Edit: Since everyone is posting some videos / music, so will I (some personal faves):

Noisia:

Spor:

Billain:

Current Value:

Culprate:

Last edited by metaller on May 3rd, 2018, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 3rd, 2018, 10:50 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on May 3 2018, 09:37:35 AM wrote:electronic stuff Frusciante has been up to lately
Sehr gut. I hope his music brings luck, because I spend today listening to it, and I need luck for tomorrow.

Frusciante's output reminds me of Squarepusher's, another electronic artist with variety and unorthodoxy, with many influences. One of his tracks is in the OP. Here's another (non-straight-DnB) favourite of mine: pleasure click. Have you listened to him much?
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 3rd, 2018, 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 3rd, 2018, 10:51 pm

Knaldskalle on May 3 2018, 03:31:29 PM wrote:Royal Blood.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 3rd, 2018, 10:55 pm

hurluberlu, Nopros, & metaller - Thanks for enriching the thread. :)
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 3rd, 2018, 11:39 pm

metaller on May 3 2018, 04:31:28 PM wrote:Current Value - Dark Rain
Yeah, that's a favourite of mine too. Processing the others.

I'll use this occasion to post this DnB+rap track (1:03 is when it starts getting really great):

Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 3rd, 2018, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

metaller
Donator

Post by metaller » May 4th, 2018, 9:38 am

Damn yeah. Loving me some Foreign Beggars, especially their collabs with D'n'B artists. I saw them live in Munich some years ago in a tiny as shit venue. They rocked hard.

Shellshock and Contact are two tracks I still love to blast in my car.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die.

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » May 5th, 2018, 5:42 pm

Carmel on wrote:
Perception de Ambiguity on May 3 2018, 09:37:35 AM wrote:electronic stuff Frusciante has been up to lately
Sehr gut. I hope his music brings luck, because I spend today listening to it, and I need luck for tomorrow.

Frusciante's output reminds me of Squarepusher's, another electronic artist with variety and unorthodoxy, with many influences. One of his tracks is in the OP. Here's another (non-straight-DnB) favourite of mine: pleasure click. Have you listened to him much?
Got luck?

Sweet track, I can see hear why one might compare them. I wasn't totally wowed by the "Ultravisitor" album on the whole but I'll investigate further into Mr. Tom Jenkinson.

Are you familiar with [font=comic sans ms]Fuck Buttons[/font]? I dig me some [font=comic sans ms]Fuck Buttons[/font].

Last edited by Perception de Ambiguity on May 5th, 2018, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dream realityImage

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 5th, 2018, 10:55 pm

Perception de Ambiguity on May 5 2018, 11:42:03 AM wrote:Got luck?

Sweet track, I can see hear why one might compare them. I wasn't totally wowed by the "Ultravisitor" album on the whole but I'll investigate further into Mr. Tom Jenkinson.

Are you familiar with [font=comic sans ms]Fuck Buttons[/font]? I dig me some [font=comic sans ms]Fuck Buttons[/font].
Eh, barely. Doesn't matter. Let it go.

Same for me, I love the first track but the whole album I wasn't too taken by. His early stuff is quite alike Amon Tobin, with a jazz influence (example), which methinks you like more than actual jazz?

Now I am; I like it. Anything that starts with the word [font=comic sans ms]Fuck[/font] surely must be worth a look.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Perception de Ambiguity

Post by Perception de Ambiguity » May 5th, 2018, 11:49 pm

Carmel1379 on May 5 2018, 04:55:59 PM wrote:
Perception de Ambiguity on May 5 2018, 11:42:03 AM wrote:Got luck?

Eh, barely. Doesn't matter. Let it go.

Same for me, I love the first track but the whole album I wasn't too taken by. His early stuff is quite alike Amon Tobin, with a jazz influence (example), which methinks you like more than actual jazz?

Now I am; I like it. Anything that starts with the word [font=comic sans ms]Fuck[/font] surely must be worth a look.
I wouldn't want to generalize that way, "jazz-influenced" can mean a lot, often it's used for any music that seems fairly improvisational, jazz has almost become a synonym for that word, and essentially anything in life can be "jazz". As for jazz jazz, that's a wide field in itself, occasionally I can be into it and feel it, much of the time I just find it pleasant. As for this track, it indeed sounds to my uneducated ears like essentially free jazz made with synthies, and I dug it.
dream realityImage

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 6th, 2018, 2:08 am

Perception de Ambiguity on May 5 2018, 05:49:13 PM wrote:I wouldn't want to generalize that way, "jazz-influenced" can mean a lot, often it's used for any music that seems fairly improvisational, jazz has almost become a synonym for that word, and essentially anything in life can be "jazz". As for jazz jazz, that's a wide field in itself, occasionally I can be into it and feel it, much of the time I just find it pleasant. As for this track, it indeed sounds to my uneducated ears like essentially free jazz made with synthies, and I dug it.
No, of course. I just haven't seen you listen to much jazz jazz, though never didn't expect you not to enjoy some of it at certain times. Anyway, let's jam.

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

XxXApathy420XxX
Donator

Post by XxXApathy420XxX » May 6th, 2018, 6:19 pm

Not really into the genre that much. Amon Tobin, and Millie & Andrea are pretty great.

There's this one hip hop album I loved that combined drum and bass with classical and jazz, and it came out before that famous Venetian Snares album. Here's the final track of the album that's just an instrumental, so it suits this thread

My favourite though is The Third Eye Foundation, if it would count as drum and bass. Especially the album You Guys Kill Me. It sounds like it was made by aliens.

My father didn’t have the skill of a professional cameraman. The result? Avant-garde cinema.

RateYourMusic | ICheckMovies | Letterboxd

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 6th, 2018, 7:13 pm

Carmel1379 on May 1 2018, 04:30:48 PM wrote:darkcore
Hmmm, this I don't quite get. Though it's not unheard of for bigger niches to share names amongst it smaller niches, I never heard of darkcore in relation to dnb. As far as I know, darkcore is a name for the early '00 industrial hardcore that distinguished itself from more commercial hardcore, but that had nothing to do with dnb/jungle.

There is a thing called crossbreed nowadays, which mixes dnb with industrial-like hardcore

Never been a big dnb fan myself, it's a bit too soft and the overall effects tends to get a little mushy, but stuff like the Billain track that was posted earlier is definitely something I like.
Last edited by Onderhond on May 6th, 2018, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 7th, 2018, 10:08 am

Onderhond on May 6 2018, 01:13:29 PM wrote:
Carmel1379 on May 1 2018, 04:30:48 PM wrote:darkcore
Hmmm, this I don't quite get. Though it's not unheard of for bigger niches to share names amongst it smaller niches, I never heard of darkcore in relation to dnb. As far as I know, darkcore is a name for the early '00 industrial hardcore that distinguished itself from more commercial hardcore, but that had nothing to do with dnb/jungle.
I does seem related according to wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darkcore, which I took for:

(+some stuff in the OP). Which isn't much different from regular jungle, just a little darker, and obviously very different from "industrial hardcore". Also there's something called darkstep, and both are called "darkside" too. It doesn't matter, obviously the words "dark" and "core" have been used in numerous ways to signify different things; I don't keep track of the differentiations, I just wanted some compound with "dark" in the OP.

Crossbreed is alright, and I don't mind industrial hardcore either, but it's just not a genre that one can dance to imaginatively.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 7th, 2018, 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 7th, 2018, 10:15 am

XxXApathy420XxX on May 6 2018, 12:19:09 PM wrote:My favourite though is The Third Eye Foundation, if it would count as drum and bass. Especially the album You Guys Kill Me. It sounds like it was made by aliens.
Yeah, I like them a lot too. Like this one:

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 7th, 2018, 10:42 am

Carmel1379 on May 7 2018, 04:08:50 AM wrote:but it's just not a genre that one can dance to imaginatively.
You'll have to move up to breakcore then :p

First time I heard about the "other" darkcore, just shows how unfamiliar I am with the whole jungle/dnb sene I guess. Interesting read though!

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 7th, 2018, 10:59 am

Onderhond on May 7 2018, 04:42:12 AM wrote:
Carmel1379 on May 7 2018, 04:08:50 AM wrote:but it's just not a genre that one can dance to imaginatively.
You'll have to move up to breakcore then :p
Yeah, that could be worth a try. Dunno if much breakcore gigs exist around though, maybe at the obscure section of some electronics festival.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 7th, 2018, 11:27 am

One highlight of the completely awesome 8 hour DnB event I just returned from, was the discovery of this song:

which both Friction and Andy C played/remixed during the night.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 7th, 2018, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » May 7th, 2018, 6:03 pm

I was into drum&bass and jungle twenty years ago. Still like it. I also listened to breakcore and digital hardcore much, which is kind of the harder sibling of d&b. I never was too much into raggacore (except some bong-ra stuff for a short time).
I also like the jungle‘s (and therefore d&b’s) predecessor happy breakbeat hardcore and other euro rave stuff. Also interested in thrill‘n‘bass.
As radio dj I started making special broadcasts which features the best sound per year, I‘m in the early 90ies now and there‘s no way around jungle.
Last edited by mathiasa on May 7th, 2018, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 7th, 2018, 6:28 pm

It's funny how many pathways there are to breakcore. It's really just a big, fat mess of everything electronic. I know people who arrived there through dnb, hardcore/gabber, rave, IDM and even metal (Bong-ra himself was part of some metal bands I believe).

mathiasa

Post by mathiasa » May 7th, 2018, 6:47 pm

depends also on what you consider as breakcore. Alec Empire was surely one of the earliest around, and while coming from techno (which began to bore him), he actually thought he was doing jungle and allegedly only later learned that the UK scene was much softer. Dunno when DJ Scud started. And then there was also Panacea, but I see him more as thrill‘n‘bass and d&b than breakcore.
Last edited by mathiasa on May 7th, 2018, 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » May 7th, 2018, 6:59 pm

Yeah, breakcore is still a broad genre, from the happy hardcore-like sample songs to the jacked-up IDM of Xanopticon and the metal-inspired stuff of Bong-ra and Empire, it changes as different subgenres became dominant within the music. That's what also made it fun I guess :)

hurluberlu
Donator

Post by hurluberlu » May 7th, 2018, 8:55 pm

mathiasa on May 7 2018, 12:47:06 PM wrote:... Alec Empire ...
Another name briging good memories, especially under Atari Teenage Riot and their Future of War album (1997), that all my friends called noise but which for me was brilliant crossover between electronic music and other stuff I was listening at the time like Rage against the machine and the Beastie Boys, with a strong political content.

Alec Empire did some "proper, decent" drum and bass over the period as well, or maybe not:

#JeSuisCharlie Liberté, Liberté chérie !

ImageImageImageImage

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 26th, 2018, 12:00 am

Anyone know of any examples of films or video games where Drum and Bass was used as its soundtrack or score?

I know of '3.141592653589793238462643383279502884...':

Also:

The latest SotD.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » May 2nd, 2019, 6:36 pm

Just a few 'newish' tracks I love. I say newish because I loved the 90s sound so much and haven't checked anything for years now.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 3rd, 2019, 3:11 am

PirateJenny wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 6:36 pm
Just a few 'newish' tracks I love. I say newish because I loved the 90s sound so much and haven't checked anything for years now.
Good stuff. The sound has definitely changed quite a bit since the 90s (not that I was there to witness it or anything like that), for example jungle isn't really a popular thing anymore (& this awesomeness is what a famous contemporary retreat to it sounds like;)). If you want a taste of what the current popular DnB scene is like, check out some sets from Hospitality or Rampage (still kicking myself for having missed it this year :( ).

Like, I think this is insanely good

Last edited by Carmel1379 on May 3rd, 2019, 3:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 3rd, 2019, 3:12 am

"Music works on more levels than just the mind. It's a lubrication of the machine (the haunted in the science)."

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

PirateJenny

Post by PirateJenny » May 3rd, 2019, 5:15 pm

Love Andy C and the London sound. Here's the sample from Long Dark Tunnel at 7:18.

Yet growing up in Birmingham (even though 4 Hero and Reinforced were a big influence on Goldie) if always felt like I've grown up in a triptych/tripoint (very stable in spychological and geometrical terms) of areas (staffs,worcs and warks) and always felt like each have their own sound.

So Coventry (Warks)

Wolverhampton (Staffs)

and it's techno not DnB but a track I love driving round Worcester (sauce) playing

I was 16 in 2001 and first car so always liked finding tracks that sounded good with a sub in the boot, usually the srtpped down sub, drums, vocal and pad stuff from the 90s. Logical Progression was always a fav.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » May 3rd, 2019, 5:36 pm

PirateJenny wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 5:15 pm
Yet growing up in Birmingham (even though 4 Hero and Reinforced were a big influence on Goldie) if always felt like I've grown up in a triptych/tripoint (very stable in spychological and geometrical terms) of areas (staffs,worcs and warks) and always felt like each have their own sound.
I'm on the border of West Midlands and Warwickshire right now! B)

The connections between the places and sound you're making is pretty interesting. All I can add is that I know Kode9 was in Warwick Uni. at the end of the 90s, and that here are some of the tracks created during that time by various people:

https://soundcloud.com/rrobin-urbanomic ... a-29-01-97
https://soundcloud.com/rrobin-urbanomic ... 29-01-97-1

IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?