Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
500<400 (RESULTS)
Polls: 1994 (Oct 20th), 1997 awards (Oct 24th), 1940s (Oct 26th), Shorts (Nov 16th), Knockout competition (Round 2)
Challenges: Horror, TSPDT, Latin America + Caribbean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Finis terrae, November nominations (Nov 1st)

Favourite Abba song?

Carmel1379
Donator

Favourite Abba song?

Post by Carmel1379 » April 27th, 2018, 3:10 pm

Not that I care much about them, but they have announced new music is in the pipeline and we need moar threads on this forum, so...

What are your favourite Abba songs?
What are your least favourites?
What do you know about Abba?
What is your favourite music video?
Do you have any stories to tell related to them?
Can you name the 4 members from memory?
Do you have any other comments?

The poll options are only the songs from their 'Gold (Greatest Hits)' album so it's not overly long.

My favourite would probably be 'Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)', closely followed by 'Thank You For The Music', 'Voulez-Vous', and a few more, including the two I for some reason could play on piano when I was 10 - 'Money, Money, Money' and 'Dancing Queen'.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on April 27th, 2018, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

joachimt
Donator

Post by joachimt » April 27th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Why isn't there an option "none of the above"? I don't like any of their songs. <_<
ICM-profile
Fergenaprido: "I find your OCD to be adorable, J"

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 27th, 2018, 3:26 pm

What are your favourite Abba songs?

something like this, roughly ordered

Dancing Queen
Thank You For the Music
The Name of the Game
One of Us
The Winner Takes It All
Another Town, Another Train
Waterloo
Mamma Mia
Take a Chance on Me
Under Attack
Chiquitita
Head Over Heels
Knowing Me, Knowing You
Angeleyes
Fernando

What are your least favourites?

I don't really dislike any of them, but most of the ones sung by the guys are less appealing

What do you know about Abba?

They're Swedish

What is your favourite music video?

Don't really watch a lot of music videos and haven't seen any of theirs in years

Do you have any stories to tell related to them?

Saw ABBA: The Movie on PBS in the late 70s, probably the first concert-type movie I ever saw, that's about it

Can you name the 4 members from memory?
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Agnetha Fältskog
Benny Andersson
Björn Ulvaeus
Anni-Frid Lingstad
Dunno if I spelled them right and I'm sure there are some accents/diacretics/etc that I didn't get but you said from memory...

Only other comment I'll make is that IMO Agnetha has one of the 5-10 greatest female pop voices in the last 40-50 years.
Last edited by OldAle1 on April 27th, 2018, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here's to the fools who dream.

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 27th, 2018, 3:31 pm

"Fernando" I suppose would be my favorite, though I'm no big fan. Pleasant to listen to though. I only really know their biggest hits ("Dancing Queen", "Fernando", "S.O.S.", "Waterloo", and "Mamma Mia" mostly...maybe I've heard the other songs you listed but the titles don't trigger the tune in my head).
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

sol
Donator

Post by sol » April 27th, 2018, 3:55 pm

I find their music terribly annoying in general... but I do have a soft spot for 'Waterloo'. :blush:
Former IMDb message boards user /// iCM | IMDb | My Top 500+ Favourite Films /// Long live the new flesh!
Image Image Image

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » April 27th, 2018, 4:22 pm

OldAle1 on Apr 27 2018, 09:26:16 AM wrote:What is your favourite music video?

Don't really watch a lot of music videos and haven't seen any of theirs in years
Since now I've naturally been sort of looking back upon their discography, I've seen a bunch of their music videos for the first time today. Nothing too memorable or interesting - it's always just the band members, really - but the curious thing about them for me is all their clothing and costumes. Since the late 70s early 80s are a distant time for me, those retro music videos are at least informative what the celebrity / artist clothing mode was at the time. The men's hairstyles too.

The 'Money, Money, Money' one is pretty cool though.
Last edited by Carmel1379 on April 27th, 2018, 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 27th, 2018, 4:35 pm

Looks like Lasse Hallstrom directed all of their videos, no wonder they're not very interesting, haha. Though they were pretty much all made well before MTV, which of course popularized the music video form and got artists to think more about making interesting videos to promote the music.
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on April 27th, 2018, 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 27th, 2018, 4:47 pm

GruesomeTwosome on Apr 27 2018, 10:35:25 AM wrote:Looks like Lasse Hallstrom directed all of their videos, no wonder they're not very interesting, haha. Though they were pretty much all made well before MTV, which of course popularized the music video form and got artists to think more about making interesting videos to promote the music.
Yeah there's a huge difference generally between "music videos" pre- and post-1981. There's certainly some creative pre-MTV stuff out there but the idea of a video selling a song was pretty marginal, and most of what you see is just concert or studio recording footage.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 27th, 2018, 5:02 pm

I had 2 songs on my 555 list. Eagle and Summer Nights City. None of them are on your list :'(

Otherwise, it's between Voulez Vous and A Man After Midnight and I'll vote for the latter.
Last edited by Armoreska on April 27th, 2018, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

jokerswild1 is dead

Post by jokerswild1 is dead » April 27th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)

GruesomeTwosome
Donator

Post by GruesomeTwosome » April 27th, 2018, 5:06 pm

OldAle1 on Apr 27 2018, 10:47:47 AM wrote:
GruesomeTwosome on Apr 27 2018, 10:35:25 AM wrote:Looks like Lasse Hallstrom directed all of their videos, no wonder they're not very interesting, haha. Though they were pretty much all made well before MTV, which of course popularized the music video form and got artists to think more about making interesting videos to promote the music.
Yeah there's a huge difference generally between "music videos" pre- and post-1981. There's certainly some creative pre-MTV stuff out there but the idea of a video selling a song was pretty marginal, and most of what you see is just concert or studio recording footage.
Yeah, and I'm guessing the term "music video" wasn't even in the popular lexicon pre-MTV.
Last edited by GruesomeTwosome on April 27th, 2018, 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

jokerswild1 is dead

Post by jokerswild1 is dead » April 27th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Also like Fernando, Waterloo and Mamma Mia. Haven't listened to a ton of their stuff but they seem like a band I would like.

Carmel1379
Donator

Post by Carmel1379 » April 27th, 2018, 5:12 pm

Armoreska on Apr 27 2018, 11:02:30 AM wrote:I had 2 songs on my 555 list. Eagle and Summer Nights City. None of them are on your list :'(

Otherwise, it's between Voulez Vous and A Man After Midnight and I'll vote for the latter.
I considered poasting all their songs, but the length would probably be a deterrent for participation. Maybe a mod can add your choices and delete the "Gold" bit.

The 'Summer Night City' music video is quite nice too.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
The happy Ile?

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 27th, 2018, 5:22 pm

jokerswild1 is dead on Apr 27 2018, 11:11:35 AM wrote:Also like Fernando, Waterloo and Mamma Mia. Haven't listened to a ton of their stuff but they seem like a band I would like.
I got heavy exposure to them when I was in Germany in July, 1982 - "One of Us" was a gigantic #1 hit and we heard it incessantly on the bus, and most of the German kids our ages (16-17) were fans. Not that I think you had to be there or anything but in my case it was exposure at the right moment, and I've been something of a fan ever since, though only enough so as to own the 4-disc Thank You For the Music box set. Wouldn't mind getting some of Agnetha's solo stuff but a lot of it is OP and expensive.

Post by 1859 » April 27th, 2018, 5:53 pm

sol on Apr 27 2018, 09:55:30 AM wrote:I find their music terribly annoying in general... but I do have a soft spot for 'Waterloo'. :blush:
I second that, though I wouldn't call it a soft spot.

When I was about 10 I was listening to the band called A Teens, they were swedish teenagers who were covering abba songs. I had their poster from bravo, saved up money to buy their album, ugh. I didn't know any better and I don't wanna come back to those times ever again, so no abba for me.

Sometimes I wonder what is abba like outside of the golden hits zone... but naaah.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » April 27th, 2018, 6:41 pm

What are your favourite Abba songs? - none
What are your least favourites? - all of them
What do you know about Abba? - they're Scandinavian and there's a shitty musical (movie)
What is your favourite music video? - I only cope muted while watching away from the screen
Do you have any stories to tell related to them? - I once watched that dumb musical (movie) ... bad memories
Can you name the 4 members from memory? A-something, B-something, B-someting and A-something
Do you have any other comments? can we do the Beatles next?

Knaldskalle

Post by Knaldskalle » April 27th, 2018, 6:42 pm

I think my favorite ABBA song may be a bit of an outlier, the sad "The Day Before You Came." Being a child in the seventies in Scandinavia ABBA was everywhere. And I mean everywhere! You couldn't turn on the radio without hearing their latest hit. I've always liked them. Of course they had a revival in the early nineties when all those seventies kids hit college age.

Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 27th, 2018, 7:12 pm

Pretty sure one of them' Bjorn and another Anna, maybe Agneszka also but that sounds Polish,,,
Let's google:
Spoiler: click to toggleShow
Agnetha Fältskog, Björn Ulvaeus, Benny Andersson, and Anni-Frid Lyngstad
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

Lammetje
Donator

Post by Lammetje » May 3rd, 2018, 1:52 pm

My favorite is not listed. <_<

ABBA is my favorite pop group ever. I absolutely adore "Dancing Queen", "Fernando" and "One of Us" for example. ABBA 4evah! :worship:
iCM | IMDb | Last.fm | Listal

PeacefulAnarchy wrote:Active topics is the devil. Please use the forums and subforums as intended and peruse all the topics nicely sorted by topic, not just the currently popular ones displayed in a jumbled mess.
More memorable quotesShow
maxwelldeux wrote:If you asked me to kill my wife and pets OR watch Minions, I'd check the runtime and inquire about sobriety requirements before providing an answer.
flaiky wrote::o :satstunned: :guns: :down: :facepalm: :yucky: :mw_confused: :pinch: :ph43r: :ermm: :sweat: :folded: tehe :cowbow: :think: :finger: :rip:
monty wrote:If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen. iCM ain't for sissies.
OldAle1 wrote:stupid double post bullshit crap shit fuck
mightysparks wrote:ARGH. RARGH. RARGH. DIE.
Kowry wrote:Thanks, Art Garfunky.
Rich wrote:*runs*

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » May 4th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Knaldskalle on Apr 27 2018, 12:42:32 PM wrote:I think my favorite ABBA song may be a bit of an outlier, the sad "The Day Before You Came." Being a child in the seventies in Scandinavia ABBA was everywhere. And I mean everywhere! You couldn't turn on the radio without hearing their latest hit. I've always liked them. Of course they had a revival in the early nineties when all those seventies kids hit college age.

I think I'd pick this one as well as my favorite. No matter what you think of them ABBA is surely a legendary phenomenon. But unlike a lot of the modern pop there's a solid reason for their popularity, there's obvious talent and quality.

btw, those who are not into their "hits" should check out some of their early albums, in particular The Visitors:

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » May 4th, 2018, 12:38 pm

Knowing Me, Knowing You :whistling: but frankly I dont listen to them, they are mainstream way too much.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » May 4th, 2018, 12:41 pm

Mario Gaborović on May 4 2018, 06:38:08 AM wrote:Knowing Me, Knowing You :whistling: but frankly I dont listen to them, they are mainstream way too much.
Well, I don't have a problem with "mainstream" if it's quality, which is the case here, I have a problem with "mainstream" when it's crap :) As you know I'm more into prog rock, but I've no problem with ABBA at all, I do like most of their songs, some are certainly way too "cheesy" though.
Last edited by bal3x on May 4th, 2018, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » May 4th, 2018, 1:07 pm

bal3x on May 4 2018, 06:41:32 AM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on May 4 2018, 06:38:08 AM wrote:Knowing Me, Knowing You :whistling: but frankly I dont listen to them, they are mainstream way too much.
Well, I don't have a problem with "mainstream" if it's quality, which is the case here, I have a problem with "mainstream" when it's crap :) As you know I'm more into prog rock, but I've no problem with ABBA at all, I do like most of their songs, some are certainly way too "cheesy" though.
I give them credit for not being annoying too much, the girls were hot and good singers and the guys were likable as well. My stand when it comes to their enormous popularity is that they sang in understandable English, something in the middle of the road between Tarzan one and academical level. Anyone could dig it.

Although their music videos were simply retarded. It's always their crybaby blue faces looking straight to the camera, then sidewards back / forth.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » May 4th, 2018, 10:50 pm

Yeah, the music videos pretty much suck, then again a lot of the 70s and 80s stuff looks very dated and ridiculous these days... with a few exceptions (e.g. a-ha as one such exception).
Last edited by bal3x on May 4th, 2018, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » May 4th, 2018, 11:06 pm

bal3x on May 4 2018, 04:50:46 PM wrote:Yeah, the music videos pretty much suck, then again a lot of the 70s and 80s stuff looks very dated and ridiculous these days... with a few exceptions (e.g. a-ha as one such exception).
I agree for the 70s, but boy are you terribly wrong for the 80s. Can't disagree more. -_-

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » May 4th, 2018, 11:24 pm

Mario Gaborović on May 4 2018, 05:06:04 PM wrote:
bal3x on May 4 2018, 04:50:46 PM wrote:Yeah, the music videos pretty much suck, then again a lot of the 70s and 80s stuff looks very dated and ridiculous these days... with a few exceptions (e.g. a-ha as one such exception).
I agree for the 70s, but boy are you terribly wrong for the 80s. Can't disagree more. -_-
:blink: I thought you were the one ridiculing 80s videos on the other (was that the italo disco one?) thread :D
Some of the 80s vids I wish I never saw really, the music was much better without the videos..
Last edited by bal3x on May 4th, 2018, 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mario Gaborović

Post by Mario Gaborović » May 4th, 2018, 11:37 pm

bal3x on May 4 2018, 05:24:43 PM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on May 4 2018, 05:06:04 PM wrote:
:blink: I thought you were the one ridiculing 80s videos on the other (was that the italo disco one?) thread :D
Some of the 80s vids I wish I never saw really, the music was much better without the videos..
No actually that "bad" music from the 80s gives me pure enjoyment, though for different reasons. The way I cherish "good" stuff like Joy Division, Yazoo, Depeche Mode, Romeo Void or Dead Kennedys is not the same thing as enjoyment found with Dancing on the Ceiling... or Bucks Fizz for that matter. :lol:

ABBA is top class for what it is, for who their audience are, what they aimed to. I also appreciate that they tried to make songs that stand out from their conventional pop oeuvre, such as Voulez vous.
Last edited by Mario Gaborović on May 4th, 2018, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cocoa
Donator

Post by Cocoa » May 4th, 2018, 11:43 pm

Take A Chance On Me is my favorite. I like most of their songs that I've heard of. I got the Gold album at a used record shop 4-5 years ago, but I don't know their other songs.

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » May 5th, 2018, 12:02 am

Mario Gaborović on May 4 2018, 05:37:29 PM wrote:
bal3x on May 4 2018, 05:24:43 PM wrote:
Mario Gaborović on May 4 2018, 05:06:04 PM wrote:I agree for the 70s, but boy are you terribly wrong for the 80s. Can't disagree more. -_-
No actually that "bad" music from the 80s gives me pure enjoyment, though for different reasons. The way I cherish "good" stuff like Joy Division, Yazoo, Depeche Mode, Romeo Void or Dead Kennedys is not the same thing as enjoyment found with Dancing on the Ceiling... or Bucks Fizz for that matter. :lol:

ABBA is top class for what it is, for who their audience are, what they aimed to. I also appreciate that they tried to make songs that stand out from their conventional pop oeuvre, such as Voulez vous.
Fair enough :) I was only talking about pop music, obviously in other genres there was better quality as well in terms of not just music itself, but also music videos, which for the most part is also related the themes handled (e.g. socio-political commentary) as opposed to pop which is usually very primitive.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 5th, 2018, 2:17 am

Knaldskalle on Apr 27 2018, 12:42:32 PM wrote:I think my favorite ABBA song may be a bit of an outlier, the sad "The Day Before You Came." Being a child in the seventies in Scandinavia ABBA was everywhere. And I mean everywhere! You couldn't turn on the radio without hearing their latest hit. I've always liked them. Of course they had a revival in the early nineties when all those seventies kids hit college age.

I prefer Blancmange's cover (heard it first).

My favourite ABBA songs, loosely ranked:

1. Mamma Mia!
2. Waterloo
3. Honey Honey
4. Ring, Ring
5. If It Wasn't For the Nights
6. Take a Chance on Me
7. SOS
8. Nina, Pretty Ballerina
9. Dancing Queen
10. The Winner Takes It All
11. Dum Dum Diddle
12. Tiger
13. Fernando
14. Super Trouper
15. Bang-A-Boomerang
16. That's Me
17. Knowing Me, Knowing You
18. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
19. Merry-Go-Round
20. As Good as New
21. I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
22. She's My Kind of Girl
23. Rock Me
24. Rock'n'Roll Band
25. Money, Money, Money
26. King Kong Song
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Minkin

Post by Minkin » July 18th, 2019, 5:58 pm

My partner absolutely adores ABBA + disco in general .... which really tried my patience in the early days of our relationship. I mostly find ABBA amusing at this point, but after pushing my partner to explore ABBA more than just the standard top ten songs everyone knows, I've found a couple more interesting songs that hold-up on their own:

I'm a Marionette + Tiger.

If that still does nothing for you, then there's always Steve Coogan's medley from Knowing Me knowing You with Alan Partridge

Tim2460

Post by Tim2460 » July 18th, 2019, 6:54 pm

One of us (l) (l)

For Balx... the visitors is not an "early album" it's actually the last one ?

xianjiro
Donator

Post by xianjiro » July 18th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Chiquitita has been my favorite ABBA song for much of my life. In high school, I had all their LPs but tended to prefer their latter work (Voulez Vous, The Visitors, and Super Trouper). I forget which CDs I now own besides Gold - probably only Super Trouper. I think the copy of Visitors was damaged in shipping and I never ordered VV.

Listen, Daddy. Teacher says, 'every time a car alarm bleeps, into heaven a demon sneaks.'
sol can find me here

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » July 18th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Tim2460 wrote:
July 18th, 2019, 6:54 pm
One of us (l) (l)

For Balx... the visitors is not an "early album" it's actually the last one ?
Of course, thanks for correcting that! :thumbsup: