Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Podcast: Talking Images (Episode 3 released May 19th)
Polls: South Asia (Results), Doubling the Canon (Results), 1950s (May 24th), 1966 awards (May 28th), 1935 (May 29th)
Challenges: Comedy, Western, Iberian Peninsula
Film of the Week: Unter den Brücken, June nominations (May 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 2 schedule, Match 2A (Jun 4th)

Westworld

outdoorcats

Re: Westworld

Post by outdoorcats » April 27th, 2020, 9:55 pm

Spoilers ahead...

The Internet appeared to agree unanimously two years ago that Westworld had jumped the shark to the point where I had friends who didn't watch the show saying "I heard Season 2 sucks." Hard to pinpoint why exactly, supposedly it was too confusing. But as far as I can tell it was objectively more linear and straightforward than Season 1?

Maeve wants revenge for Hector. She also wants to make sure no one can get to her daughter and that world, and as long as Dolores is alive someone could get that info from her (or she could change her mind and decide to bring them back herself).

I agree that they're definitely taking the big picture approach. They've said five seasons since the beginning (now, six), and hinted at what might be their endgame in the Season 2 postcredits scene. It's hard to imagine that after the finale next week this season will feel like a complete and satisfying self-contained arc. I wonder if the big picture approach is a good idea for a show that takes 2 years in between seasons.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

Traveller

Post by Traveller » April 28th, 2020, 5:08 pm

The Internet doesn't seem to understand or know any shows that really jumped the shark. :D

I'm a fan of a big picture approach and I'm ready to view this season differently once that picture becomes clear, but not of splitting the seasons with, as you said, such a distance between them. And with the current epidemic, who knows how long the production for season 4 will be postponed. This show might easily really run till 2026/2027.

Have to say, though, since my posts were more on the negative side, that I still enjoy the show, even if it's the weakest season so far. I like the direction, and two more episodes this season would have maybe helped a bit more. But who knows what the finale will bring?
ICM
May Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

Traveller

Post by Traveller » May 5th, 2020, 5:12 pm

Episode 8 Spoiler

Well, so much for a split season. I guess this can rather be seen now as the prologue for the upcoming season(s). Gonna be interesting though, with Charlotte now really going for the extinction of humanity and the MiB as her right hand, where we will go in the supposedly three seasons to come. Seems like the setup for a final season already.
I enjoyed the finale. Though obvious, but at least Bernard still being there was now addressed. Wonder if Stubbs made it. Dolores will be back in some kind of way, probably, so that’s good.
ICM
May Challenge: Image
But at the bottom, the immanent philosopher sees in the entire universe only the deepest longing for absolute annihilation, and it is as if he clearly hears the call that permeates all spheres of heaven: Redemption! Redemption! Death to our life! and the comforting answer: you will all find annihilation and be redeemed!

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » May 5th, 2020, 7:50 pm

The finale was definitely better than episode 7, anyway, but these last few episodes have singlehandedly dampened my enthusiasm of the show quite a bit to be honest. I'll still watch it to the end, but some of my main issues were:

(major spoilers)

-Bernard's whole arc in Season 2 was about him becoming conscious and as free as Dolores. His entire arc in Season 3 was just being Dolores' pawn at every step? This bothers me the most.
-Everything was Dolores' plan at every step. This isn't narratively interesting to watch. It also just doesn't make any sense to me how Rehoboam, who should be able to to process so much more information, was so easily defeated by her. Presumably this is an AI that is capable of running near infinite simulations of all possible outcomes of every decision with 99% accuracy and that's all it took?
-Serac turned out to be disappointingly stupid as well.
-William's whole arc in the second half of the season including his "breakthrough" turned out to be a narrative red herring and completely pointless. William also being killed off in a post-credits scene is a palm to the forehead moment. I know his consciousness will eventually be revived and tested for fidelity, but still...
-The show's best actors, minus Evan Rachel Wood, were given nothing to do for most of the season, while less expressive actors like Aaron Paul got the bulk of the screentime. This season was ultimately missing the emotional core previous seasons had, that you got from slower scenes of nothing more than great actors talking to each other. We got a little taste of it in the scene with Bernard and Arnold's widow, though. That said, Marshawn Lynch was a surprisingly good actor? Things I didn't expect to say in 2020: Westworld Season 3 needed more Beast Mode.

I'll still enjoy watching future seasons for the production values, music, and promise the actors will occasionally get chances to shine again, but it's hard to imagine this show becoming the all-time classic TV the first two seasons seemed to promise.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » May 7th, 2020, 6:25 am

Yea, I didn't like this and the whole season was a big fail to me, agreed with od's points. Probably a 4.5/10 overall, it was watchable but often boring and ultimately didn't really do anything to further its main themes. After the ep ended my bf was like 'well, I think I'm over Westworld'. I'll still keep watching to satisfy curiosity but I don't even consider it the same show and it definitely doesn't excite me anymore. Bleh.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT