Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: 2007 (Results), 2017 awards (Dec 21st), 1955 (Dec 27th), Directors (Dec 31st), Underrated (Jan 3rd), Knockout competition (Round 5)
Challenges: Documentary, Travel the World, Italy
Film of the Week: Le septième juré, December nominations (Dec 27th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 schedule, 1A: Canada vs England vs Estonia vs Iran (Dec 29th)

My (late) introduction to anime series...

outdoorcats

My (late) introduction to anime series...

Post by outdoorcats » April 8th, 2018, 4:18 am

I just became fully caught-up on Attack on Titan. I'm blown away by what a great series it is, full of tantalizing mystery, brilliant plot twists, great characterization, and mostly cinematic-quality animation/music/production values.

Before now I've never been hugely interested in anime TV series. I've seen and loved a number of well-known anime films, of course (Studio Ghibli, Akira, etc.), but I guess I was never attracted enough to the art style to really spend time diving into what anime had to offer. But with AoT I've found the ~20 min episodes are perfect for after work on weekdays when I don't have the energy or attention span to watch anything longer.

I'm interested in recommendations for adult-oriented anime. To me, that means no cutesy, cartoony male fantasies about adolescent manic pixie dream girls. I'm interested in good stories and all the qualities of writing, music, direction that I would expect in any other series or the movies I watch.

I've already watched about half of Death Note. I kind of lost interest as the series got more and more bogged down in Misa Amane stuff (did they ever need more female writers in the room for that one).
I've also already seen One Punch Man, very entertaining and funny. Very different than the type of show I am looking for but I enjoyed it a ton nonetheless.

I'm already interested in...

-Cowboy Bebop (seen the movie, really liked it)
-Beserk
-Paranoia Agent
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (seen the '90s movie)
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Ergo Proxy
-Basilisk
-Samurai Champloo
-Black Lagoon

Am I on the right track? Are these worth checking out? What am I missing? What should I prioritize?

Anime veterans, come help...
Last edited by outdoorcats on April 8th, 2018, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

[a LION eats GOD. Gunshots ring out. MATT turns around]
MATT: That's the guy I was telling you about.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 8th, 2018, 4:34 am

Ha! I'm sort of in the same boat and was toying with starting a similar thread so I'll just hop on. I'm actually watching Death Note myself right now, about 2/3 of the way through, and I get what you're saying about Misa though there are really only a few episodes where she's too prominent. What I like about the show is the police procedural aspect which I think is reasonably well done; if the basic concept interests you, you might want to watch the live-action films from the same period which I thought were pretty good and a lot tighter than the anime.

Anyway I haven't seen much else myself - saw some of the Robotech stuff on TV in the late 80s, wouldn't have any idea what I saw exactly but I remember liking it, and scattered episodes of other stuff. I have

Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
(generally highly regarded but I know there are plenty of folks who REALLY REALLY HATE IT so I'm curious as to responses here)
Tokyo Ghoul
Texhnolyze
Paranoia Agent
and a couple of other series that I'm not remembering right now. So general comments on these would be good (like, which to watch first for novices)

Like you I'm generally more interested in adult-oriented stuff, and realistic stories as opposed to fantasy (though the latter is much easier to find it seems).
Here's to the fools who dream.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 8th, 2018, 4:45 am

re: your final questions there, yes I'd say you're on the right track if you're interested in action-oriented anime, like Attack on Titan.

re: cutesy, cartoony &c. &c., know that a significant portion of anime is exactly this, or something tangential to that approach, and that since pretty much day one, anime has been mostly a medium to enhance sales of other products, manga, books, action figures, model kits, keychains, pachinko machines, pillow covers, fleshlights, &c... This is especially true of the modern anime landscape which is divided pretty much into Saturday morning types (both boy and girl target audiences) and late (late, late) night otaku type stuffs, featuring waifus and all that shit. The new economic model for non-kids stuff is basically, half-ass a show with a few waifus and enough plot twists to keep people interested for 12 episodes, and air the show on television essentially as a commercial for a more polished product on blu-ray a few months down the line, hoping you can sell enough copies to make your money back and they'll only bother to make a 2nd season if the blu-ray sales finance it beforehand. Popular opinion for a very long time in Japan was that anime was either for kids or weirdos, period, and that is still a widely-held belief, even after the successes of Miyazaki (his Oscar was a tidal shift in popular conception of the medium) and more recently Kimi no Na wa. being like the most successful hit film ever in Japan. That isn't to say that anime is completely devoid of interesting projects nowadays, there are production studios and timeblocks on certain channels dedicated to anime as an artform, but 90+% of it is not what it sounds like you're looking for. Of course there are things like Attack on Titan or One Punch Man where the studios don't half-ass it, and really do want to make a great show from the get-go, and spend their time and resources on it, but this is not the norm. Ultimately it's a tricky topic to discuss briefly because anime, the end-result, is a confluence of so many things, culturally, economically, and the evolving nature of it over time and you're probably not interested in all of that anyway, but it's basically a requirement if you want to enjoy anything other than the action stuffs (and if you're looking for the real outre, avant-garde, interesting, engaging ART stuff, you're better off reading manga).

But if you want something like Attack on Titan, yeah those are good shows to start with (Basilisk is shit tho, and I thought Elfen Lied was lame, Berserk manga is infinitely better and Samurai Champloo is a bit of a one trick pony after Cowboy Bebop (best thing ever)).

(and interestingly your "female writer" comment reminds me that a couple of the most popular script writers in anime right now are women (I'm thinking especially of Okada Mari, who is incredibly "in demand"), so, the medium isn't 100% male-oriented/misogynist as some bloggers might suggest, (but of course anything gender or sexually-based in another culture is going to have to be read in an entirely different way than one might read American cultural products, even from a country whose modern culture has been so influenced by American (and on and on...)))

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 8th, 2018, 4:52 am

Hm yes anime holds attention well. Some of my favorites other than what you listed: Yojohan shinwa taikei, N.H.K, Mirai shonen Conan, Kaiba, Princess Tutu, Suzumiya Haruhi no yuutsu (apart from the infamous 8 episodes in the 2nd season), Mononoke, Ginga eiyu densetsu, Versailles no bara, Death Note, Ima soko ni iru boku, Haibane renmei, Akage no Anne, Lupin the Third (the original series).
Some shonen I like:
One Piece, at least the fullscreen era (I've paused for now)
Currently watching Hunter X Hunter and also finding it enjoyable, plus it got better as it went.
Then there's Fullmetal Alchemist which is rated #1 a lot.

Ergo Proxy was a bit disappointing in the end. For some reason I rated it a 6 even though most episodes are 7.
surprised to see Elfen Lied on the list, you did read about it?

Actually we have an Anime lounge, so you couldve posted there
Last edited by Armoreska on April 8th, 2018, 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 8th, 2018, 4:56 am

OldAle1 on Apr 7 2018, 10:34:01 PM wrote:Ha! I'm sort of in the same boat and was toying with starting a similar thread so I'll just hop on. I'm actually watching Death Note myself right now, about 2/3 of the way through, and I get what you're saying about Misa though there are really only a few episodes where she's too prominent. What I like about the show is the police procedural aspect which I think is reasonably well done; if the basic concept interests you, you might want to watch the live-action films from the same period which I thought were pretty good and a lot tighter than the anime.

Anyway I haven't seen much else myself - saw some of the Robotech stuff on TV in the late 80s, wouldn't have any idea what I saw exactly but I remember liking it, and scattered episodes of other stuff. I have

Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
(generally highly regarded but I know there are plenty of folks who REALLY REALLY HATE IT so I'm curious as to responses here)
Tokyo Ghoul
Texhnolyze
Paranoia Agent
and a couple of other series that I'm not remembering right now. So general comments on these would be good (like, which to watch first for novices)

Like you I'm generally more interested in adult-oriented stuff, and realistic stories as opposed to fantasy (though the latter is much easier to find it seems).
Let's come back to this thread over time and compare notes...

(I'm about to start Cowboy Bebop)

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 8th, 2018, 4:57 am

funkybusiness on Apr 7 2018, 10:45:32 PM wrote:re: your final questions there, yes I'd say you're on the right track if you're interested in action-oriented anime, like Attack on Titan.

re: cutesy, cartoony &c. &c., know that a significant portion of anime is exactly this, or something tangential to that approach, and that since pretty much day one, anime has been mostly a medium to enhance sales of other products, manga, books, action figures, model kits, keychains, pachinko machines, pillow covers, fleshlights, &c... This is especially true of the modern anime landscape which is divided pretty much into Saturday morning types (both boy and girl target audiences) and late (late, late) night otaku type stuffs, featuring waifus and all that shit. The new economic model for non-kids stuff is basically, half-ass a show with a few waifus and enough plot twists to keep people interested for 12 episodes, and air the show on television essentially as a commercial for a more polished product on blu-ray a few months down the line, hoping you can sell enough copies to make your money back and they'll only bother to make a 2nd season if the blu-ray sales finance it beforehand. Popular opinion for a very long time in Japan was that anime was either for kids or weirdos, period, and that is still a widely-held belief, even after the successes of Miyazaki (his Oscar was a tidal shift in popular conception of the medium) and more recently Kimi no Na wa. being like the most successful hit film ever in Japan. That isn't to say that anime is completely devoid of interesting projects nowadays, there are production studios and timeblocks on certain channels dedicated to anime as an artform, but 90+% of it is not what it sounds like you're looking for. Of course there are things like Attack on Titan or One Punch Man where the studios don't half-ass it, and really do want to make a great show from the get-go, and spend their time and resources on it, but this is not the norm. Ultimately it's a tricky topic to discuss briefly because anime, the end-result, is a confluence of so many things, culturally, economically, and the evolving nature of it over time and you're probably not interested in all of that anyway, but it's basically a requirement if you want to enjoy anything other than the action stuffs (and if you're looking for the real outre, avant-garde, interesting, engaging ART stuff, you're better off reading manga).

But if you want something like Attack on Titan, yeah those are good shows to start with (Basilisk is shit tho, and I thought Elfen Lied was lame, Berserk manga is infinitely better and Samurai Champloo is a bit of a one trick pony after Cowboy Bebop (best thing ever)).

(and interestingly your "female writer" comment reminds me that a couple of the most popular script writers in anime right now are women (I'm thinking especially of Okada Mari, who is incredibly "in demand"), so, the medium isn't 100% male-oriented/misogynist as some bloggers might suggest, (but of course anything gender or sexually-based in another culture is going to have to be read in an entirely different way than one might read American cultural products, even from a country whose modern culture has been so influenced by American (and on and on...)))
Thanks for the extensive reply; have you seen the show Monster? I just saw at least some of it is on YT; it looks right up my alley, however with more than 70 episodes it's a pretty big commitment.

OldAle1
Donator

Post by OldAle1 » April 8th, 2018, 4:58 am

outdoorcats on Apr 7 2018, 10:56:12 PM wrote:
OldAle1 on Apr 7 2018, 10:34:01 PM wrote:Ha! I'm sort of in the same boat and was toying with starting a similar thread so I'll just hop on. I'm actually watching Death Note myself right now, about 2/3 of the way through, and I get what you're saying about Misa though there are really only a few episodes where she's too prominent. What I like about the show is the police procedural aspect which I think is reasonably well done; if the basic concept interests you, you might want to watch the live-action films from the same period which I thought were pretty good and a lot tighter than the anime.

Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Tokyo Ghoul
Texhnolyze
Paranoia Agent

Let's come back to this thread over time and compare notes...

(I'm about to start Cowboy Bebop)
Sounds good - I won't have time for much over the next few weeks (too many movies in the way) but I do intend to at least finish Death Note before too long, and then maybe start another (probably shorter) series by sometime in May. Maybe.
Here's to the fools who dream.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 8th, 2018, 5:02 am

addendum: many of the great series, or those that I consider great, are so because of a prior acquaintance with it historically contextually, both re: anime, the thing's specific genre or cultural take, and Japan as a whole, so of course your mileage may vary.

re: OldeAle1, Cowboy Bebop, I think is a great series to start with, it's very cohesive with a western perspective, it doesn't "write down" to a LCD audience, it doesn't cheapen itself to be more accessible, it's funny, it's action-oriented, great characters, and features both episodic and serialized stories simultaneously. There's also a film "sequel" Knockin' On Heaven's Door which I find to be one of the great post-9/11 films, even tho it was made months before 9/11...

Neon Genesis Evangelion, I wrote a longer piece about it in its own thread here on the forums, but I think a basic prep is that it is an intensely psychologically-based work, and the series was a drastic departure from what audiences were expecting from a mecha series at the time (a popular sub-genre of scifi featuring giant robots), basically, originally there were what's called Super Robo series, which featured typically a single robot, who was overpowered and could defeat anything as long as the protagonist put his heart and soul into it!! Physics were largely ignored and these stories were largely aimed at a younger audience. Astro Boy, the first anime, is arguably in this category. Later, late '70s, came a new type of mecha series now known as Real Robo originating (arguably, as is always the case with anime) with Mobile Suit Gundam, which was more based on reality and an adherence to physics, giant robots as weapons of war, and storylines aimed at an older audience (Gundam features in-depth geopolitical histories and stratagems). Neon Genesis Evangelion was an attempt at a hybrid of the two types, an overpowered giant robot, piloted by a child fighting for good, but the storyline unravels into the depths of psychological stress put upon the child and the cabalistic machinations of those in power, all of this wrapped up in a symbolist structure borrowing elements from early Christianity, Freud and Jung.

Paranoia Agent is the other great series you've got on your list. It does require some knowledge of the pressures of modern Japanese life but the series probably does a good enough job of getting that specific cultural point across. I would also recommend everything else Satoshi Kon did in his short career, he was an absolute master.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 8th, 2018, 5:02 am

Armoreska on Apr 7 2018, 10:52:56 PM wrote:Hm yes anime holds attention well. Some of my favorites other than what you listed: Yojohan shinwa taikei, N.H.K, Mirai shonen Conan, Kaiba, Princess Tutu, Suzumiya Haruhi no yuutsu (apart from the infamous 8 episodes in the 2nd season), Mononoke, Ginga eiyu densetsu, Versailles no bara, Death Note, Ima soko ni iru boku, Haibane renmei, Akage no Anne, Lupin the Third (the original series).
Some shonen I like:
One Piece, at least the fullscreen era (I've paused for now)
Currently watching Hunter X Hunter and also finding it enjoyable, plus it got better as it went.
Then there's Fullmetal Alchemist which is rated #1 a lot.

Ergo Proxy was a bit disappointing in the end. For some reason I rated it a 6 even though most episodes are 7.
surprised to see Elfen Lied on the list, you did read about it?

Actually we have an Anime lounge, so you couldve posted there
I saw an Elfen Lied discussion thread on the IMDb message boards back in the day. I remember watching a minute or so of the first episode and being very impressed/interested with the sound design. That was enough to pique my interest.
edit - Wait, I might be mis-remembering. I now think that first minute I saw was from a show called Serial Experiments Lain (which I also saw being discussed on the IMDb message boards)?

Scanned right past the anime lounge, oops. edit - No, I still can't find it, what board is it on?
Last edited by outdoorcats on April 8th, 2018, 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » April 8th, 2018, 5:09 am

outdoorcats on Apr 7 2018, 10:57:53 PM wrote:Thanks for the extensive reply; have you seen the show Monster? I just saw at least some of it is on YT; it looks right up my alley, however with more than 70 episodes it's a pretty big commitment.
Monster is another all-time classic, but if time commitment is an issue you might want to give the manga a try, it's the same exact story and it'll probably take you a third of the time to read it. It's 18 volumes and you can probably read a volume/30-45 minutes. (and if you are interested in manga, the other works of Urasawa Naoki are excellent as well, Pluto is a re-telling of Astro Boy, 20th Century Boys is a conspiracy thriller, Master Keaton is basically "what if Indiana Jones was an insurance investigator" (but don't watch the anime, it's prett sub-par) and Billy Bat, is, well, hard to describe. A conspiracy thriller centered around this image of a bat that recurs from ancient Jesus times up to the protagonist's time in the late '40s, and into the mid-century, weaving many story threads together featuring murder and corruption and conspiracy, can't say much about it without spoilers but definitely worth it. Lee Harvey Oswald was framed, for one thing!))

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 8th, 2018, 5:16 am

If it's really that good I don't mind committing to it, just wanted to make sure I don't plan to watch something so long that peters out or has a disappointing ending. The consensus appears to agree with you though, I should definitely bump it up the list.
Last edited by outdoorcats on April 8th, 2018, 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » April 8th, 2018, 5:24 am

outdoorcats on Apr 7 2018, 11:02:57 PM wrote:Scanned right past the anime lounge, oops. edit - No, I still can't find it, what board is it on?
General, page 2 now.
By the way the search got fixed.

Berserk has no ending though should be watched. Don't mistakenly watch the new Berserk though, apparently it's not up to snuff.
Last edited by Armoreska on April 8th, 2018, 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 8th, 2018, 5:44 am

I just watched the first episode of Cowboy Bebop and could not be more excited to keep watching. What an amazing mix of styles and love letter to American pop culture (sci-fi, westerns, '60s chic).

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » April 8th, 2018, 8:28 am

outdoorcats on Apr 7 2018, 11:16:32 PM wrote:If it's really that good I don't mind committing to it, just wanted to make sure I don't plan to watch something so long that peters out or has a disappointing ending. The consensus appears to agree with you though, I should definitely bump it up the list.
Monster really is that good. I recommend it.

Cowboy Bebop is a good choice too.

rnilsson19

Post by rnilsson19 » April 8th, 2018, 10:19 am

Mushishi! Absolutely gorgeous and serene anime, carefully paced, episodic and deals with folklore tales on the Japanese countryside.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » April 8th, 2018, 11:26 am

Cowboy Bebop and Paranoia Agent are good choices. Some other recoms from an average anime watcher. (I have seen a few series and generally like it, but far from an expert).
-FLCL
-Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
-Welcome to the NHK
-Gungrave

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » April 8th, 2018, 3:08 pm

Very interested in Mushi-shi and Welcome to the NHK, I will test those out for sure.

DareDaniel

Post by DareDaniel » April 10th, 2018, 8:00 am

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
One Piece
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cowboy Bebop
Nodame Cantabile
Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Kenkaku Romantan
Dragon Ball
NHK ni Youkoso!
Clannad & After Story
Last edited by DareDaniel on April 10th, 2018, 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » October 7th, 2018, 9:37 am

It took forever, but I finally finished Cowboy Bebop. Of course it's a very short series, only one season, but it is not a series I wanted to binge-watch. Each 25-min. episode felt like its own fully formed movie, and most of them needed time to sit with me afterwards. It is easily one of the top 5 TV series I've ever seen. Read: top 5 TV series. Not top 5 anime TV series. (The Leftovers, The Wire, Cowboy Bebop, Twin Peaks, and Red Dwarf seems like a pretty solid top 5 to me)

Like other iconic television series, like Twin Peaks for example, every episode is a small work of art. It is said, correctly, that the show's composer Yoko Kanno showed incredible range in bouncing from wildly different musical genre to musical genre, each time always hitting the perfect note for the series. So too can you look at the wide range of genres offered from episode to episode, ranging at times from fatalistically cool neo-noir, to expressionistic horror, to stoner comedy, to the most philosophical extremes of science-fiction--all wrapped in a zen pop philosophy package.

I've already started Monster and I'm completely hooked by the first episode. Even though it's three times as long, I suspect I'll finish it much faster than I did Cowboy Bebop with its more serialized plot. Though because they are so short, I might squeeze in a full series watch of FLCL (6 episodes!) or Paranoia Agent (13 episodes) while I'm watching it.

Looking forward, I'm now most interested in Mushishi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rurouni Kenshin, Ghost in the Shell: SAC, Samurai Champloo, Ergo Proxy, Texhnolyze, and Black Lagoon. Not sure in what order I might watch those, it depends how I'm feeling after I finish Monster. For instance, after finishing Cowboy Bebop I didn't want to jump into another science fiction show right away.

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » October 7th, 2018, 10:00 am

That reminds me, still need to watch Black Lagoon S2.
I'd say Ergo Proxy ought to be left last on that watchlist.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 13th, 2019, 12:35 am

The Prisoner: I have the most psychedelic, nightmarish, abstract and least conclusive series finale of all time
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Hold my beer

A month since I finished watching NGE and still not sure where to begin unpacking it. It is undoubtedly a great series. It also triggered a depressive episode for me. Some of the content towards the end hit a little too close to home, like the series was speaking to me. The middle finger of an extra ending it was given with the movie (End of Evangelion) didn't help either. I am interested in watching the remake movies eventually, just to see what a different spin on the story would look like, but not right away.

Then I watched a whole season of Code Geass. I'm not sure why. Maybe I needed to retreat into something hilariously dumb. Are there people who seriously consider it one of the best anime shows of all time, or is it all just a meme? :blink: Since I'm already halfway through (it's a 2 season show), I'll finish it at some point, as I've heard it has a memorable ending.

I am 20 episodes into Monster. Since the series is out of print and essentially completely unavailable, I was happy to see that someone uploaded the series in 1080p onto YT here. So far, it's fantastic. It will be interesting to see if it can somehow maintain this level of quality all the way to 74 episodes without jumping the shark. For those unfamiliar with the show, it's a seinen that could be compared to The Fugitive as a psychological thriller. Instead of "the one-armed man," the protagonist (Tenma, a Japanese neurosurgeon living in '90s Germany) on the run has been framed by a brilliant serial killer of biblically evil proportions. It's a highly philosophical show, which uses the stories of the various people Tenma encounters on the run as a tug of war between the dueling beliefs that man is essentially good or essentially evil. It also mixes grounded political references with Pynchonesque right-wing cabals trying to crown a new Hitler from the ashes of the Soviet Union. The low-budget animation is more than made up for by the direction, atmosphere and voice-acting.

My list of anime titles I want to watch has changed somewhat. Some have been taken off streaming platforms and I'm not interested enough to pay for them. Some from my previous list I sampled and found wanting. Made it a couple episodes into Black Lagoon. Not my cup of tea. There were a bunch of other series I sampled a few episodes of that didn't hook me: Rurouni Kensin, Outlaw Star, and Durarara!!! are some that I remember.

After finishing Monster, I think my priorities are:

1. Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
2. Samurai Champloo
3. Mushi-shi
4. Terror in Resonance
5. Space Brothers
6. Kids on the Slope
7. Erased
8. Steins;Gate
9. Ergo Proxy
10. Hunter x Hunter

(FLCL is so short I'll probably watch it this week, so technically that is #1)

Not streaming (or in the case of Paranoia Agent, completely out of print and stuck in copyright hell), but still very interested in:

-Guardian of the Sacred Spirit
-Beserk
-Paranoia Agent
-Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
-Serial Experiments Lain
-Now and Then, Here and There
-The Tatami Galaxy
-Kaiba
-Welcome to the N.H.K.
-Mononoke
-Baccano!
Last edited by outdoorcats on August 13th, 2019, 5:51 am, edited 4 times in total.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 13th, 2019, 1:03 am

Code Geass was an event series. I remember watching it and talking about it online week to week as it was airing, and the nine month wait for the 2nd season exacerbated the whole experience. it's somewhat like LOST, it's not great as a binged series, and you kinda just had to be there. it's not great, but it was great fun, as a communal viewing.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 13th, 2019, 1:06 am

and re: Monster, none of his other works have been adapted decently, but if you're not opposed to reading manga, all of Urasawa Naoki's works are great, esp. his run from Monster thru Billy Bat.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 13th, 2019, 1:25 am

I just need to pay off the hefty fine on my library card first. :unsure:

Also this thread is so old you repeated yourself. But now we know your views are consistent. :cheers:

mjf314

Post by mjf314 » August 13th, 2019, 2:06 am

It will be interesting to see if it can somehow maintain this level of quality all the way to 74 episodes without jumping the shark.
I think it remains good all the way to the end (but like any series, some episodes are better than others).
There were a bunch of other series I sampled a few episodes of that didn't hook me: Rurouni Kensin, Outlaw Star, and Durarara!!! are some that I remember.
I suggest skipping Durarara!! and watching Baccano! instead. They're similar to each other, but Baccano! is much better.

From your list of priorities, my favorite is Mushishi.

funkybusiness
Donator

Post by funkybusiness » August 13th, 2019, 4:38 am

saw yer edit above.
1. Cowboy Bebop is the greatest, but, opinion time, nothing Watanabe has done since comes even close. I dislike Samurai Champloo, the rest is average at best. caveat, haven't seen Carole & Tuesday yet.

2. Paranoia Agent, Kaiba, Tatami Galaxy, Mushishi are the best on either of your lists, in that order. If NGE fucked with you, Paranoia Agent will probably also really fuck with you.

3. echoing mjf, skip Durararara and watch Baccano instead. from the same novelist, but much better indeed. still bummed they never adapted more of it.

4. by Berserk, I hope you mean the original 1997 series. please don't watch the 2016-17 series. they're really bad. terrible CG animation, it looks like a bad video game from a decade ago, and the story starts off like 1/3rd thru the manga's story. the original series is pretty good, but it kinda shortchanges the manga, which is still ongoing, 22 years later! the original story arc is something of a Greek tragedy. the rest of it is its epic counterpart. (the author is notoriously slow at releasing it. there's been one chapter over the last year but! there's a new chapter at the end of the month! aaaaaaaaaahh!!!).

if you need something a bit more soothing after NGE and Monster, Mushishi is a decent pick although it's not exactly exuberant.

outdoorcats

Post by outdoorcats » August 13th, 2019, 5:49 am

Yup, the 1997 Berserk is the one I've heard all the acclaim for.

Baccano! has a cool trailer, and only 16 episodes sound pretty appealing. I'll add it to the "not streaming" list.

Also...Yes. Yes it is.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » August 13th, 2019, 7:43 am

When it comes to Berserk, I definitely prefer the film-trilogy that was released a couple of years ago. The old series is a whole lot of stale, kitsch and uncinematic storytelling. The only thing making it slightly interesting is the Susumu Hirasawa score, but you're better off watching Millennium Actress if you like that.

RedHawk10

Post by RedHawk10 » August 14th, 2019, 12:09 am

I'd strongly urge reading Berserk over watching any of the various adaptations. The best one is easily the 1997 series IMO, but even that leaves out huge parts of the storyline that it's covering.

Glad to see another fan of Urasawa's Monster on here, that's a really great series.