Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Shorts (Results), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 3)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Saenghwalui balgyeon, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

Black Mirror

Carmel1379
Donator

Re: Black Mirror

Post by Carmel1379 » January 1st, 2019, 1:52 pm

'The Stanley Parable' is akin "Bandersnatch", with forking paths, subverted narrative, multiple endings. It's much smarter and funnier; highly recommended.
IMDb, letterboxd, tumblr
whom shall we find
Sufficient? who shall tempt with wand’ring feet
The dark unbottom’d infinite Abyss,
And through the palpable obscure find out
His uncouth way, or spread his aerie flight,
Upborn with indefatigable wings,
Over the vast abrupt, ere he arrive
The happy Ile?

Nur dein Auge – ungeheuer / Blickt michs an, Unendlichkeit!
Close the world. ʇxǝu ǝɥʇ uǝdO.
t o B e c o n t i n u e d

bal3x
Donator

Post by bal3x » January 1st, 2019, 2:29 pm

72allinncallme wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 4:22 pm
joachimt wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 4:15 pm
72allinncallme wrote:
December 31st, 2018, 1:37 pm
So. I have watched it. On my iPhone, because that’s how Netflix want me to watch it apparently ( :finger: )
Why is that? You decide on which screen you watch, right?
The episode does not work with Apple-TV, AirPlay nor does it work on the app on my Samsung Smart-TV. So that was the only option available for me (and many others I reckon).
How old is your smart Samsung? I had no problem running this on smart LG - granted, it's fairly recent model.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » January 3rd, 2019, 2:16 pm

I saw it a few days ago. I thought it was an interesting experiment and the content matched the form nicely. I was a bit dissapointed that somes choices aren't real choices but just but you in a loop. I played different versions and got different endings. The best ending
SpoilerShow
is a combination between the game being a succes and revived as a streaming service series and the one in which he goes back as a kid with his mom to die on the train

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 5th, 2019, 12:20 pm

First ep of season 5 is my new least favourite episode. Hope the season gets better from here...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

monty

Post by monty » June 5th, 2019, 8:38 pm

mightysparks wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 12:20 pm
First ep of season 5 is my new least favourite episode. Hope the season gets better from here...
So when there's some tender sexy time on the show you find it disagreeable? Btw, who did you think got the better deal in the end - husband or wife?

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 6th, 2019, 12:02 am

monty wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 8:38 pm
mightysparks wrote:
June 5th, 2019, 12:20 pm
So when there's some tender sexy time on the show you find it disagreeable? Btw, who did you think got the better deal in the end - husband or wife?
I liked the ‘real’ stuff, I absolutely hated the video game aspect and thought the actors playing them were awful. Totally ruined what could’ve been a nice story and also thought it didn’t say anything at all about anything. They both got what they wanted in the end I guess so they both got a good deal.

The other two eps were also bad, this was by far the worst season of Black Mirror and this is the first time I’ve really been disappointed. The second featured some great acting but was lame ‘commentary’ and the third was ok but re-used an old idea and ended up feeling like a silly teenage joyride vs A Star is Born when it could’ve had some interesting ideas about consent and fame etc. also pretty weak season on the technology side of things.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 6th, 2019, 4:24 pm

I have only watched the second episode of the series so far. I watched it first because it had easily the best rating on IMDb. A bit concerned about the future of the show after watching it. I feel like it's lost something. The technology aspect seemed very unimportant in the episode. Almost like an after thought. Felt more like a normal TV show. It was engaging and interesting and there were positive aspects but it wasn't really what I was looking for from Black Mirror.

mightysparks
Site Admin

Post by mightysparks » June 7th, 2019, 1:35 am

Yeah I thought the same about this whole season. It did not feel like Black Mirror at all. I’m always excited for Black Mirror but my boyfriend said he had a feeling that this season would be bad but I was like nah they couldn’t have run out of ideas about technology yet.

But I don’t even see what the point of any of the eps were:

Ep 1:
SpoilerShow
having sex in a video game doesn’t make you gay in real life. Also if married family life is boring and repetitive the best solution is to have a second child.
Ep 2:
SpoilerShow
people look at their phones too much and don’t look at your phone and drive even though that’s been illegal for 10 years
Ep 3:
SpoilerShow
being a clean goody too shoes is being false but being an edgy rocker who listens to/sounds like mainstream alternative bands means you are being real. Also being edgy means you’re ok with being a consciousness trapped in a doll that can’t do anything.
The first and third seemed to just be like whoa look how cool this is with no thought. Eh behind anything, and the second was like a fairly intense ‘mystery’ buildup with a pointless ending.

Onderhond

Post by Onderhond » June 9th, 2019, 10:33 pm

I just watched Striking Vipers. BM was never high quality writing, nor high quality scifi, but this ep made me feel like my brain was deflating. Who in his right mind would write such a piece of absolute nonsense ...

Armoreska

Post by Armoreska » June 9th, 2019, 11:14 pm

ep 1 was borderline OK thanks to the creepy/awkward factor and the non-PC ending and Pom Klementieff
now ep 2 was lame and unoriginal, rescued somewhat by some mystery that turned out to be extremely lame. either this or Crocodile was the worst Mirror episode I've seen
ep 3 was the first that I did not waste much time on and skipped - sounds like it's juvenile
currently working towards a vegan/low waste world + thru such film lists (besides TV): 2010s bests, RW Fassbinder, Luis Bunuel, Yasujiro Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Visual Effects nominees, kid-related stuff, great animes (mini-serie or feature), very 80s movies, 17+ sci-fi lists on watchlist, ENVIRO, remarkable Silent Films and Pre-Code (exploring 1925 atm) and every shorts and docu list I'm aware of and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1434
and "Gordon" Liu Chia-Hui/Liu Chia-Liang and Yuen Woo-ping and "Sammo" Hung Kam-bo

AdamH
Site Admin

Post by AdamH » June 13th, 2019, 6:52 am

I finished all three episodes. Disappointing season. I didn't have very high expectations for some reason but it still disappointed and it has be the worst season so far.

First episode was ok and the concept could have worked but was nothing special. I thought the ending was really weak.

Second episode was better but felt nothing like an episode of Black Mirror and technology was close to being irrelevant.

Third episode....just wow. Very, very weak. I almost stopped watching it near the end. I thought the entire concept was terrible in this one and the way it played out was really bad. Crap ending again. Maybe the worst episode I've seen of Black Mirror.

Lonewolf2003
Donator

Post by Lonewolf2003 » June 16th, 2019, 4:56 pm

As techno criticism this was the weakest season indeed. But looking at it from a more human nature angle I think it was a good one. I loved episode 1 and think it’s among the best in the series. To me it was about exploring another different side of your self/sexuality, without going the cheap route of pinning it down to being straight-bi-gay. Btw I thought the poor acting in the video game was on purpose, because they are video game characters with a limited set of emotions.

Episode 2 had some great acting in a touching story about someone driven to desperate means by grief and guilt. The critique about the addictiveness of social media and not texting while driving was slight.

Episode 3 was very weak tho, I felt like it was in two minds and didn’t know who the protagonist was, the first part seems to be about the girl and her “empowerment” and could been an interesting critique of self help believe in yourself platitudes, but the second half she’s mostly forgotten and it’s about (the rescue of) the pop star.

72aicm
Donator

Post by 72aicm » July 1st, 2019, 4:46 pm

Lonewolf2003 wrote:
June 16th, 2019, 4:56 pm
As techno criticism this was the weakest season indeed. But looking at it from a more human nature angle I think it was a good one.
Just binged the three episodes and I have to agree. On a whole, way better than last season. Episode two worked as a really good TV-movie thriller.

Episode three was... eeh. At least it didn’t tried to be anything other then it was. Not for me though.