Welcome to the ICM Forum. If you have an account but have trouble logging in, or have other questions, see THIS THREAD.
Polls: Shorts (Results), 2007 (Nov 22nd), 1932 awards (Nov 24th), Knockout competition (Round 3)
Challenges: Noir, Unofficial, Korean, 2020 schedule
Film of the Week: Saenghwalui balgyeon, December nominations (Nov 29th)
World Cup S4: Round 1 preparation (Nov 28th)
Film Festival: Main Slate, International, English-Language Independents, Documentaries, Arthouse, Animation, LGBT, Just Before Dawn (Dec 2nd)

Stand-Up Comedy Lounge

User avatar
blueboybob
Donator
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Location: DC
Contact:

Re: Stand-Up Comedy Lounge

#81

Post by blueboybob » August 28th, 2019, 6:56 pm

I loved his new special.

User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 2795
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#82

Post by GruesomeTwosome » August 28th, 2019, 7:06 pm

@maxwell:

Oh, I absolutely love pretty much everything Chappelle has done before, so a big fan here. Seen all of his previous stand-up specials, seen all episodes of Chappelle's Show countless times over the years, so I think I'm pretty in tune with him as well. I guess it was inevitable that the calls for #CancelDaveChappelle from some corners would appear at some point. Anyways, looking forward to watching it in a few nights!
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 7180
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#83

Post by maxwelldeux » August 28th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Bird Revelation was probably his weakest special (IMHO), but this new one is on par with his best.

User avatar
72aicm
Donator
Posts: 2864
Joined: Nov 13, 2016
Contact:

#84

Post by 72aicm » August 29th, 2019, 7:14 pm

I thought it was okay. Some jokes were good, but some very easy ones as well. He is a decent story teller, I’ll give him that.

I honestly can’t see why the special was controversial? :shrug:

Well I can. But yeah. No.

User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 2795
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#85

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 3rd, 2019, 7:58 pm

OK, so I liked the new Chappelle special quite a lot, far from his best material but certainly some good stuff. Especially about that French actor, “Juicy Smouillet”. :lol:
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9592
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#86

Post by Knaldskalle » September 3rd, 2019, 10:20 pm

I recently saw Mike Birbiglia's "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" on Netflix. Rarely have I seen a show where a person is just rambling from one story to another from their personal life, doing stories within stories (a bit like The Saragossa Manuscript, if you've seen it), jumping back and forth in time only to tie everything together right at the end. This was really something else! His humor is a bit off-beat and nerdy (and doesn't always hit the mark) but the way this whole show was constructed was very impressive. It seems totally improvised but clearly isn't. Worth checking out.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 7180
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#87

Post by maxwelldeux » September 3rd, 2019, 10:40 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 10:20 pm
I recently saw Mike Birbiglia's "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" on Netflix. Rarely have I seen a show where a person is just rambling from one story to another from their personal life, doing stories within stories (a bit like The Saragossa Manuscript, if you've seen it), jumping back and forth in time only to tie everything together right at the end. This was really something else! His humor is a bit off-beat and nerdy (and doesn't always hit the mark) but the way this whole show was constructed was very impressive. It seems totally improvised but clearly isn't. Worth checking out.
I like him - though I think My Girlfriend's Boyfriend is his weakest (it's a 7/10 for, his other two specials, "Thank God for Jokes" and "What I Should Have Said Was Nothing", I have at an 8/10), though still very enjoyable. He's got an odd humor and delivery that I think would be annoying if he weren't so charming and endearing.

Related, have you seen his directorial debut Don't Think Twice? It looked pretty interesting, but I forgot about it until you brought him up. I may try and work that in this month for the 21st Century challenge.

User avatar
Knaldskalle
Moderator
Posts: 9592
Joined: May 09, 2011
Location: New Mexico, Trumpistan
Contact:

#88

Post by Knaldskalle » September 4th, 2019, 3:19 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 10:40 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 10:20 pm
I recently saw Mike Birbiglia's "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" on Netflix. Rarely have I seen a show where a person is just rambling from one story to another from their personal life, doing stories within stories (a bit like The Saragossa Manuscript, if you've seen it), jumping back and forth in time only to tie everything together right at the end. This was really something else! His humor is a bit off-beat and nerdy (and doesn't always hit the mark) but the way this whole show was constructed was very impressive. It seems totally improvised but clearly isn't. Worth checking out.
I like him - though I think My Girlfriend's Boyfriend is his weakest (it's a 7/10 for, his other two specials, "Thank God for Jokes" and "What I Should Have Said Was Nothing", I have at an 8/10), though still very enjoyable. He's got an odd humor and delivery that I think would be annoying if he weren't so charming and endearing.

Related, have you seen his directorial debut Don't Think Twice? It looked pretty interesting, but I forgot about it until you brought him up. I may try and work that in this month for the 21st Century challenge.
I saw the other two shows after My Girlfriend's Boyfriend and I think that may affect my ratings, I gave What I Should've Said Was Nothing 2.5/5 and Thank God for Jokes 4/5 (same as I gave My Girlfriend's Boyfriend). What, to me, set it apart from everything else is the way he takes his material from his own life and then the structure of that show. He does it in the other shows as well, but I thought it was best executed in My Girlfriend's Boyfriend.
Personal film goals for 2019.
ImageImageImageImage

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 7180
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#89

Post by maxwelldeux » September 4th, 2019, 4:05 am

Knaldskalle wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 3:19 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 10:40 pm
Knaldskalle wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 10:20 pm
I recently saw Mike Birbiglia's "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" on Netflix. Rarely have I seen a show where a person is just rambling from one story to another from their personal life, doing stories within stories (a bit like The Saragossa Manuscript, if you've seen it), jumping back and forth in time only to tie everything together right at the end. This was really something else! His humor is a bit off-beat and nerdy (and doesn't always hit the mark) but the way this whole show was constructed was very impressive. It seems totally improvised but clearly isn't. Worth checking out.
I like him - though I think My Girlfriend's Boyfriend is his weakest (it's a 7/10 for, his other two specials, "Thank God for Jokes" and "What I Should Have Said Was Nothing", I have at an 8/10), though still very enjoyable. He's got an odd humor and delivery that I think would be annoying if he weren't so charming and endearing.

Related, have you seen his directorial debut Don't Think Twice? It looked pretty interesting, but I forgot about it until you brought him up. I may try and work that in this month for the 21st Century challenge.
I saw the other two shows after My Girlfriend's Boyfriend and I think that may affect my ratings, I gave What I Should've Said Was Nothing 2.5/5 and Thank God for Jokes 4/5 (same as I gave My Girlfriend's Boyfriend). What, to me, set it apart from everything else is the way he takes his material from his own life and then the structure of that show. He does it in the other shows as well, but I thought it was best executed in My Girlfriend's Boyfriend.
Oh that's interesting - it's been a while since I've watched him, and this might just be the kick in the pants to do so.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29812
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#90

Post by mightysparks » September 4th, 2019, 4:09 am

I hate stand-up with a passion and doubt I'm going to ever see/hear anything I really like. I went to see Dylan Moran twice, the first time at 18 which I found really funny, the second time a few years ago and I didn't laugh at all. I also saw Jimmy Carr a few years ago and he was alright. I've had to listen to two horrible stand-up albums for the RYM list that were painfully unfunny with obvious and dull observations and ramblings. A couple mentioned here sound possibly worthwhile but stand-up getting even a smirk out of me is pretty rare...
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 2795
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#91

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 4th, 2019, 4:54 am

I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

User avatar
GruesomeTwosome
Donator
Posts: 2795
Joined: Feb 03, 2017
Location: Industrial Wasteland, USA
Contact:

#92

Post by GruesomeTwosome » September 4th, 2019, 4:56 am

I just re-watched Chappelle’s “Killin’ Them Softly” special from 2000 for the umpteenth time...damn, it’s still hilarious.

Looking forward to the new Bill Burr special that’s coming to Netflix next week.
I’m to remember every man I've seen fall into a plate of spaghetti???

My IMDB profile
ICM
Letterboxd

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 7180
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#93

Post by maxwelldeux » September 4th, 2019, 6:53 am

GruesomeTwosome wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 4:56 am
Looking forward to the new Bill Burr special that’s coming to Netflix next week.
Everytime I watch him, he gets slightly better. But it started low (~5ish) and is currently in the 7-8ish range. I'm also excited for the new special, but I want to rewatch some of his stuff beforehand.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 7180
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#94

Post by maxwelldeux » September 4th, 2019, 7:11 am

mightysparks wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 4:09 am
I hate stand-up with a passion and doubt I'm going to ever see/hear anything I really like. I went to see Dylan Moran twice, the first time at 18 which I found really funny, the second time a few years ago and I didn't laugh at all. I also saw Jimmy Carr a few years ago and he was alright. I've had to listen to two horrible stand-up albums for the RYM list that were painfully unfunny with obvious and dull observations and ramblings. A couple mentioned here sound possibly worthwhile but stand-up getting even a smirk out of me is pretty rare...
If you were in the US I'd accuse you of being a terrorist for a statement like that... :P

Actually, my best friend from college doesn't like comedy (yes, I've accused her of being a terrorist, too), which baffles me - she's actually genuinely funny and has a great sense of humor. Just doesn't like like comedy - weirdest thing. Apparently not as weird as I thought.

But in a weird way, I take this as a friendly challenge. So here's what I propose (and you're welcome to say "no" at any time for any reason): You say what you find funniest, and I'll (try to) recommend a comedian for you. It may take me a bit, but I'll watch whatever you note to understand the humor you're referring to. When I'm ready, I'll only recommend something I genuinely think you'd like.

So yeah. That. I just like comedy, so all this is fun for me.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29812
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#95

Post by mightysparks » September 4th, 2019, 7:43 am

maxwelldeux wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 7:11 am
mightysparks wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 4:09 am
I hate stand-up with a passion and doubt I'm going to ever see/hear anything I really like. I went to see Dylan Moran twice, the first time at 18 which I found really funny, the second time a few years ago and I didn't laugh at all. I also saw Jimmy Carr a few years ago and he was alright. I've had to listen to two horrible stand-up albums for the RYM list that were painfully unfunny with obvious and dull observations and ramblings. A couple mentioned here sound possibly worthwhile but stand-up getting even a smirk out of me is pretty rare...
If you were in the US I'd accuse you of being a terrorist for a statement like that... :P

Actually, my best friend from college doesn't like comedy (yes, I've accused her of being a terrorist, too), which baffles me - she's actually genuinely funny and has a great sense of humor. Just doesn't like like comedy - weirdest thing. Apparently not as weird as I thought.

But in a weird way, I take this as a friendly challenge. So here's what I propose (and you're welcome to say "no" at any time for any reason): You say what you find funniest, and I'll (try to) recommend a comedian for you. It may take me a bit, but I'll watch whatever you note to understand the humor you're referring to. When I'm ready, I'll only recommend something I genuinely think you'd like.

So yeah. That. I just like comedy, so all this is fun for me.
I actually like a lot of British sitcoms and Rik Mayall is/was my favourite comedian. I fell in love with England because of my love for their comedy. I watched a lot of them when I was younger but I haven't seen any comedy that's made me laugh in a looong time so I welcome any recs. I tend to like witty, dry, awkward, dialogue-based stuff over silly, slapstick, immature humour (though can enjoy all that too). From the stuff that was mentioned, the Dave Chappelle special interested me and My Girlfriend's Boyfriend's structure sounded good too. I like stuff that pushes boundaries and haven't seen a lot of good 'wholesome' comedy, but I also don't like stuff that pushes boundaries for the sake of pushing boundaries, it needs to be clever and mean something. Examples of stuff I hate: Two and a Half Men (pretty much straight from the butt of Satan), The Big Bang Theory, that type of pointless rubbish. But um, some of my favourite comedy stuff in a handy IMDb list: https://www.imdb.com/search/title/?titl ... &count=250

I would say the stuff that cracks me up the most:
- The Young Ones (favourite show ever, so yea)
- Spaced / Shaun of the Dead
- South Park (especially first 3 seasons, it stopped being that funny to me in the later seasons when it got weirdly American and pop culture heavy)
- Arrested Development (not including the Netflix rubbish)
- Invader Zim
- First 4/5 seasons of It's Always Sunny (stopped watching around season 7)
- Blackadder
- First season of Community
- First few seasons of Red Dwarf
- Monty Python
- Ricky Gervais / Stephen Merchant / Karl Pilkington; The Office, Extras, Ricky Gervais Show, Idiot Abroad (but I don't like Ricky's stand-up lol)
- Whose Line is it Anyway (the 'original' American series, Colin and Ryan are just great)
- Lano & Woodley
- Peep Show
- The Smoking Room
- Also found Eric Andre / Ali G stuff pretty amusing
- Anything Richard Ayoade says
- I also like Stephen Fry, David Mitchell, people like that

I remember in one of the Ricky Gervais things he talks about some 'competition' to make him laugh and he just bursts out laughing at the first thing that's said. I'm basically the opposite of that :lol: (I do laugh a lot in real life even if I seem like a grumpy bum, but like your friend most 'planned' comedy leaves me cold)
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
blueboybob
Donator
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Location: DC
Contact:

#96

Post by blueboybob » September 4th, 2019, 1:52 pm

Knaldskalle wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 10:20 pm
I recently saw Mike Birbiglia's "My Girlfriend's Boyfriend" on Netflix. Rarely have I seen a show where a person is just rambling from one story to another from their personal life, doing stories within stories (a bit like The Saragossa Manuscript, if you've seen it), jumping back and forth in time only to tie everything together right at the end. This was really something else! His humor is a bit off-beat and nerdy (and doesn't always hit the mark) but the way this whole show was constructed was very impressive. It seems totally improvised but clearly isn't. Worth checking out.
If anyone has suggestions for morel ike this. The "less standup more story telling" id love to hear it. This is my favorite type

User avatar
Onderhond
Posts: 3068
Joined: Dec 23, 2012
Contact:

#97

Post by Onderhond » September 6th, 2019, 8:53 am

I like Colin Quinn, Red State Blue State is pretty funny and astute at the same time. Reminds me of George Carlin a little.

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 7180
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#98

Post by maxwelldeux » November 19th, 2019, 3:26 am

mightysparks wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 7:43 am
maxwelldeux wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 7:11 am
mightysparks wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 4:09 am
I hate stand-up with a passion and doubt I'm going to ever see/hear anything I really like. I went to see Dylan Moran twice, the first time at 18 which I found really funny, the second time a few years ago and I didn't laugh at all. I also saw Jimmy Carr a few years ago and he was alright. I've had to listen to two horrible stand-up albums for the RYM list that were painfully unfunny with obvious and dull observations and ramblings. A couple mentioned here sound possibly worthwhile but stand-up getting even a smirk out of me is pretty rare...
If you were in the US I'd accuse you of being a terrorist for a statement like that... :P

Actually, my best friend from college doesn't like comedy (yes, I've accused her of being a terrorist, too), which baffles me - she's actually genuinely funny and has a great sense of humor. Just doesn't like like comedy - weirdest thing. Apparently not as weird as I thought.

But in a weird way, I take this as a friendly challenge. So here's what I propose (and you're welcome to say "no" at any time for any reason): You say what you find funniest, and I'll (try to) recommend a comedian for you. It may take me a bit, but I'll watch whatever you note to understand the humor you're referring to. When I'm ready, I'll only recommend something I genuinely think you'd like.

So yeah. That. I just like comedy, so all this is fun for me.
I actually like a lot of British sitcoms and Rik Mayall is/was my favourite comedian. I fell in love with England because of my love for their comedy. I watched a lot of them when I was younger but I haven't seen any comedy that's made me laugh in a looong time so I welcome any recs. I tend to like witty, dry, awkward, dialogue-based stuff over silly, slapstick, immature humour (though can enjoy all that too). From the stuff that was mentioned, the Dave Chappelle special interested me and My Girlfriend's Boyfriend's structure sounded good too. I like stuff that pushes boundaries and haven't seen a lot of good 'wholesome' comedy, but I also don't like stuff that pushes boundaries for the sake of pushing boundaries, it needs to be clever and mean something. Examples of stuff I hate: Two and a Half Men (pretty much straight from the butt of Satan), The Big Bang Theory, that type of pointless rubbish.
I've been thinking about this for a while, though you wouldn't know it by my lack of posting.

But I have two that I can't shake out of my head when it comes to what you might like (both available to you on Netflix):

Bridget Christie: Stand Up for Her - She's British and a rather outspoken feminist, and both characteristics permeate her comedy. I watched her stand-up special a few nights ago and found it hilarious. Has a lot of dry British wit you seem to like and has a really positive message. Points out a lot of stupid and awkward things men do that make women uncomfortable (to say the least), but makes it super fun. I loved it, and my wife immediately fell in love with her.

James Acaster - It's been a while since I've seen him, but he was the first comedian I thought of when I read your description. Again, British wit abounds with him, and he's pretty genuinely funny.

User avatar
mightysparks
Site Admin
Posts: 29812
Joined: May 05, 2011
Location: Perth, WA, Australia
Contact:

#99

Post by mightysparks » November 19th, 2019, 4:42 am

I just figured you’d return when you found something cool, was expecting it to take longer actually :) I will check them both out when I find time, if they count for the documentary challenge next month I’ll fit them in then.
"I do not always know what I want, but I do know what I don't want." - Stanley Kubrick

iCM | IMDb | LastFM | TSZDT

Image

User avatar
blueboybob
Donator
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mar 11, 2013
Location: DC
Contact:

#100

Post by blueboybob » November 19th, 2019, 2:04 pm

I watched Seth Meyers new special. Really liked it (especially if you are a parent).

User avatar
maxwelldeux
Donator
Posts: 7180
Joined: Jun 07, 2016
Location: Seattle-ish, WA, USA
Contact:

#101

Post by maxwelldeux » November 19th, 2019, 11:55 pm

blueboybob wrote:
November 19th, 2019, 2:04 pm
I watched Seth Meyers new special. Really liked it (especially if you are a parent).
I liked it more than I thought I would - not a parent, but the humor resonated with me quite a bit nonetheless. Of course, it started really well for me, as I found the Minneapolis-St. Paul jokes hilarious since I lived there for 5.5 years.

Post Reply